Joey Gatewood (Update 10/30: Leaves the team)

Zeek

6 hours ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

PS: Sorry if I sound extremely incensed by this whole thing, but bad personnel decisions, poor football, and horrid arguments by fans are my triggers.

I agree with most of this but screw the horrible arguments by fans. Sure debate them but it’s not worth getting riled up about.

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Malcolm_FleX48 It sounds like you are where I was a couple years ago emotionally about all this. I’ve gotten to the point where I’m mostly apathetic now about it while Gus is in charge and that’s a very sad state of affairs.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

@Malcolm_FleX48 It sounds like you are where I was a couple years ago emotionally about all this. I’ve gotten to the point where I’m mostly apathetic now about it while Gus is in charge and that’s a very sad state of affairs.

The good news is...maybe the fury or the apathy timeline will not be as long from this point...#hopespringseternal

Just now, AidiAU said:

Someone asked about this. 

B9BA17F8-2E75-4971-9E88-8E63F3106AA9.png

Aidi!  Mods...I am really needing the WOW button emoji option!  Translation..."I can't even..." (not at Aidi...at the news/"news") 😮😮😮😮

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

Do you think it will sting.more if he turns out to be a really good QB

It will be bittersweet. I will always pull for him to be successful. That part will be sweet. But if he is it will sting because of wondering what might have been here had he gotten the proper opportunity.

11 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

DAG, it was awful and so odd. Like the AJ McCarron spank that went viral, not a coach's best moment, you have to wonder how on earth the camera managed to capture such a transformational moment. It was my first thought when the rumors flew. Nobody ever wanted to be "right" about this. 

I agree Tora. I think for me is the distraught look on his face afterwards. As a parent that would probably been the end of the line for me. 

1 hour ago, oracle79 said:

Could someone place themselves in Pat Nix's shoes and explain to me why you would let your son play for Gus? Pat played college QB. Coached in college. OC'd in college. And, head coached and won 2 state titles in high school. He's seen Kodi Burns, Kiehl Frazier, Clint Moseley, Jonathan Wallace, JJ, Sean White, JF3, Malik, Jarrett Stidham, etc. ad nauseum. Why, in the name of all that is holy, would you let your son be subjected to this cluster show? It makes ZERO sense.

The Nix family committed more to Auburn than To Gus. That’s the best way to put it.

11 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

Aidi!  Mods...I am really needing the WOW button emoji option!  Translation..."I can't even..." (not at Aidi...at the news/"news") 😮😮😮😮

Yep! One of many times I wanted to use the wow emoji for it not to be there.

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

I agree Tora. I think for me is the distraught look on his face afterwards. As a parent that would probably been the end of the line for me. 

I don’t disagree, but I would’ve encouraged my son to stay for 4 more weeks. There is a possibility Gus could be fired at years end based on the last few games. How ironic would it be for that to happen and for his replacement to be a proven offensive mind and great QB developer? A lot of ifs in there but I would like to have seen everything play out before we lost him for good. 

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

Did u see Momma W's sweet post yesterday about both boys being in the same signing class...#1 and #2? So much emotion of which we're unaware. Prayers for "our" boys....and their families.

Just now, Gowebb11 said:

I don’t disagree, but I would’ve encouraged my son to stay for 4 more weeks. There is a possibility Gus could be fired at years end based on the last few games. How ironic would it be for that to happen and for his replacement to be a proven offensive mind and great QB developer? A lot of ifs in there but I would like to have seen everything play out before we lost him for good. 

Well the fact of the matter is he stuck with his commitment when Gus was pursuing Justin Fields, he stuck through it when Gus was clearly pursuing a grad transfer , he stuck with it when Gus chose Nix over him and for the most part he gutted it out when the starter has been performing poor at best.  At that point why would you want to wait 4 more weeks? 

58 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Why every year there has to be something stupid done as far as roster management? It's pathetic really

It's become an Auburn tradition. :cool:

15 minutes ago, ellitor said:

It will be bittersweet. I will always pull for him to be successful. That part will be sweet. But if he is it will sting because of wondering what might have been here had he gotten the proper opportunity.

I was thinking the same thing. I guess what has me the most sad is our defense. This talent on defense don't come along often and I feel like we wasted it. 

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

I wondered, then I thought of possible injury if he ever did get to play. There's a time in some transfer scenarios to "take one for the team", but in this case, I think in his mind, he's been doing that until he just couldn't anymore.  Saturday's clip is a massive embarrassment factor...I just don't think it can be underestimated. Even with the "viral" AJ McCarron spank, AJ was at least getting respectable playing time. 

If he stays enrolled until the semester ends to finish it (rumor), and if changes were to occur within that window, I'm going to guess that some things might be rather interesting...

2 hours ago, leglessdan said:

On the flipside,  If that's the case, I imagine Bo is caught in a precarious position throughout this too. And for what? I'm sure all he wants to do is win, play well and earn the love of his teammates as well. Instead, he had the weight of the program put on his shoulders by his coach as a true freshman with no help when he struggled. Nobody wins in this scenario. 

I'd think it would have to feel a little weird for Bo to sit and watch film with the other QBs & skill players with Joey in the room after that UF or LSU loss.  For Bo to watch his own performance he had to feel dejected, but to see how Joey was treated in that LSU game on the side line & then to watch a gimpy Boobee go in instead of JG......awkward as hell.

That's gotta be tough for all involved with the exception of the man in charge that orchestrated the whole plan.

41 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

A  why do you hate the fan base so much?  I dont  see anyone actively rooting for him to fail.     

It will sting if Bo doesnt pan out or gets hurt immediately  

In my opinion it stings now.

I think about what jg went through, having to "earn" his number and whatnot.....Bo comes in and is pretty much treated like royalty. Then when he has a series of games where he doesn't play too hot JG still doesn't get a chance.

He had to be thinking there's no point, The coach wants a particular person at QB and it's not me so there's no need to stick around.

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I think about what jg went through, having to "earn" his number and whatnot.....Bo comes in and is pretty much treated like royalty. Then when he has a series of games where he doesn't play too hot JG still doesn't get a chance.

He had to be thinking there's no point, The coach wants a particular person at QB and it's not me so there's no need to stick around.

i just posted a video that has those same talking points. good video.

21 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

those are great points.i had not considered those.

34 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

Think about it. Why did D. Brown and Davidson return for their senior year?  Unfinished business right? As in SEC West title, SEC Championship, and CFB?

What's their motivation to continue to put their bodies at risk now (other than pride and commitment to teammates)? If they made a business decision, I wouldn't blame them.

17 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

In my opinion it stings now.

It only stings if you thought Gatewood would have gotten a shot.   From the Florida and LSU game  it doesnt look like that was going to happen. 

11 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i just posted a video that has those same talking points. good video.

I should be getting paid for my takes. I need to take my talents to South Beach

Just now, cole256 said:

I should be getting paid for my takes. I need to take my talents to South Beach

whats in south beach?

Archived