Joey Gatewood (Update 10/30: Leaves the team)

Zeek

Random note, but sometimes I see posters on here and I forgot their dynamics with other posters and I think “oh wow I haven’t seen those two interact much” or “oh I didn’t know those two were hostile” or “oh I didn’t know those guys were bro’s”.

Regardless, I love all of you with the exception of one poster I love like you would love that annoying cousin. They’re still family but they just rub you wrong; no matter how polite you are they give you that cold blank look.

To the heart of the matter, I firmly believed before the season started that Gus would go with seniority (Joey) and was surprised when he didn’t. Now I’m curious what the alternate timeline would look like. Ideally Bo (and any true freshman quarterback for that matter) redshirts this season and Joey starts. Truly I wonder how that would have panned out.

Keep in mind, the play calling and game preparation are bigger issues to me than whoever lines up under center. Now any clear minded individual should be floored JG didn’t get a chance to lead a full drive against Florida and LSU to see if a spark could get lit. 

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hate to be negative but I wouldn’t be surprised if this whole situation has completely destroyed the locker room. You’d think guys must be pissed that Joey doesn’t get a shot while Nix continues to suck. If so we could be looking at a major collapse down the final stretch, as I’m worried we could lose to Ole Miss this weekend with this happening. After seeing the clip of Gus pulling Gatewood off the field Saturday I’ve lost all respect for him, and as painful as a collapse down the finish could be maybe it’s necessary to make the boosters finally make a change and move forward before our roster and recruiting is completely destroyed 

2 minutes ago, au302 said:

Hate to be negative but I wouldn’t be surprised if this whole situation has completely destroyed the locker room. You’d think guys must be pissed that Joey doesn’t get a shot while Nix continues to suck. If so we could be looking at a major collapse down the final stretch, as I’m worried we could lose to Ole Miss this weekend with this happening. After seeing the clip of Gus pulling Gatewood off the field Saturday I’ve lost all respect for him, and as painful as a collapse down the finish could be maybe it’s necessary to make the boosters finally make a change and move forward before our roster and recruiting is completely destroyed 

If we lose to Ole Miss Gus gets fired after the game. “No doubt”. 

1 minute ago, tbone1430 said:

Hope you are correct. I don’t think I could ever cheer for us to lose but if we do I guess I won’t be too upset then lol

8 minutes ago, au302 said:

Hope you are correct. I don’t think I could ever cheer for us to lose but if we do I guess I won’t be too upset then lol

Ugh.  I hope not.  Investing time with the family in this one.  I'd be super depressed if that happens but what I've seen lately has been just as depressing.  We need accountability.

24 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Random note, but sometimes I see posters on here and I forgot their dynamics with other posters and I think “oh wow I haven’t seen those two interact much” or “oh I didn’t know those two were hostile” or “oh I didn’t know those guys were bro’s”.

Regardless, I love all of you with the exception of one poster I love like you would love that annoying cousin. They’re still family but they just rub you wrong; no matter how polite you are they give you that cold blank look.

To the heart of the matter, I firmly believed before the season started that Gus would go with seniority (Joey) and was surprised when he didn’t. Now I’m curious what the alternate timeline would look like. Ideally Bo (and any true freshman quarterback for that matter) redshirts this season and Joey starts. Truly I wonder how that would have panned out.

Keep in mind, the play calling and game preparation are bigger issues to me than whoever lines up under center. Now any clear minded individual should be floored JG didn’t get a chance to lead a full drive against Florida and LSU to see if a spark could get lit. 

I love you too......lol...Good post. Seriously though, I really agree. I honestly thought coming into Camp the best possible situation was for a tough competition to come out with JG the starter, and Bo getting what few reps he gets and then Redshirting. I think that would have been the best possible option for all parties (assuming JG plays good enough and earns the job). Then we could have JG ballin out for 2 years with Bo building experience and Then JG leaves for NFL hopefully after a Cam LIKE season and then Bo comes in as a RS sophomore and has 3 years of eligibility left. We keep both guys and have our QB room set for 5 years. I think with that outcome the possibility of transfer of either guy was least likely. When Bo was named starter I figured this day would come. I love JG and will root for him ANYWHERE he goes.War Damn Joey

25 minutes ago, au302 said:

Major collapse?  Defense is still playing lights out, and offensive collapse would suggest there was an offense to begin with.  Gatewood leaving is about the last thing I want to hear.

1 hour ago, Barnacle said:

Just wish we had an opportunity to see how good JG actually is. 

That was the first thing I thought of too. I really didn't like the way Gus yanked him back and I remember thinking then that something was going to come to a head. I thought he would get his shot. Considering the way things went at QB during the Fla and LSU games, there was every reason to put him in and see what he could do. I had just posted on Saturday that it wasn't fair to the team to have such substandard play at QB and it had to stop. This really sucks.

I am speechless... just don't even know what to think.....

I hope he doesn't end up leaving and stays because i believe he will absolutely end up helping the team before its over with...

but can't blame him especially after getting pulled back like that Saturday....

2 minutes ago, tbone1430 said:

That won't happen unless the team has just packed it in and given up. And I don't see that happening. Much to many's chagrin, our players want to play hard for Auburn AND their coaches AND the fans...

We will definitely out talent Ole Miss.

And if we assume these rumors are true, I don't necessarily believe it is indicative of a lost locker room. It very well could be that Joey Gatewood is not the phenom we think he is. If that's the case then there are plenty in the locker room who won't see his departure as a huge loss... Again I don't know anything. No one knows anything.

Despite the cries of the masses, I'm not convinced Gus Malzahn is an idiot. Knowing that his seat is hot and knowing that we had a dark horse shot at a championship season... If JG was half as much the Cam Newton-esque talent you have to think that he would give the team the best chance at success. And I know the rumor mill says Gus is appeasing power brokers who are sold on the Nix name, but we also know that an 8-4 Gus probably doesn't survive the season no matter who's at QB. So the only logical conclusion I can come to is that Joey is either doing something to keep him off the field or isn't doing something to get on the field. But I reserve my right to be wrong...

3 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

That won't happen unless the team has just packed it in and given up. And I don't see that happening. Much to many's chagrin, our players want to play hard for Auburn AND their coaches AND the fans...

We will definitely out talent Ole Miss.

And if we assume these rumors are true, I don't necessarily believe it is indicative of a lost locker room. It very well could be that Joey Gatewood is not the phenom we think he is. If that's the case then there are plenty in the locker room who won't see his departure as a huge loss... Again I don't know anything. No one knows anything.

Despite the cries of the masses, I'm not convinced Gus Malzahn is an idiot. Knowing that his seat is hot and knowing that we had a dark horse shot at a championship season... If JG was half as much the Cam Newton-esque talent you have to think that he would give the team the best chance at success. And I know the rumor mill says Gus is appeasing power brokers who are sold on the Nix name, but we also know that an 8-4 Gus probably doesn't survive the season no matter who's at QB. So the only logical conclusion I can come to is that Joey is either doing something to keep him off the field or isn't doing something to get on the field. But I reserve my right to be wrong...

man I hope you're right....

The sheer stubborness of Gusto, to not give JG a chance against Florida and LSU, is maddening. How many times have we seen a backup QB, add a spark to a team. Trask at Florida, is a good example. I honestly think the reason he never sees the field, is Gus' ego. He won't let JG play, because he might have success at the position. It would prove him wrong. All we hear about games like Saturday, is "we didn't execute". How about changing the "executive", if they can't execute. He seldom puts the blame on himself. You can tell when he doesn't know what to do. He pulls up his britches, chews gum like crazy, and picks his nose. I wish JG the best, and will root for him, wherever he goes. Lombardi was right, whether you like him or not. He hit the proverbial nail on the head. If the rumor proves to be true, it just adds to the frustration with this clown.

I think this program has did everything to maintain the MO and maintain recruiting classes, support for the football complex, a sense of continuity with every sport except MBB facing some tough times since Gus has been here, but I think you just gotta rip the bandaid off. Even I wanted us to keep em for the sake of keeping the '21 class together, but what's the point? We look at Bo who only committed because Gus got kept...what's the point of keeping a guy who isn't going to develop those prospects into their best form? 

NOW, I don't trust Auburn to find a guy who can be that long term answer..how often have they historically...but we have to start finding him

Even in the day of the transfer portal, to be compensated as a top 10 head coach and not have a healthy QB pipeline after 7 years is borderline inexcusable.  

3 minutes ago, Farmer Brown said:

The sheer stubborness of Gusto, to not give JG a chance against Florida and LSU, is maddening. How many times have we seen a backup QB, add a spark to a team. Trask at Florida, is a good example. I honestly think the reason he never sees the field, is Gus' ego. He won't let JG play, because he might have success at the position. It would prove him wrong. All we hear about games like Saturday, is "we didn't execute". How about changing the "executive", if they can't execute. He seldom puts the blame on himself. You can tell when he doesn't know what to do. He pulls up his britches, chews gum like crazy, and picks his nose. I wish JG the best, and will root for him, wherever he goes. Lombardi was right, whether you like him or not. He hit the proverbial nail on the head. If the rumor proves to be true, it just adds to the frustration with this clown.

Gus' entire offensive philosophy (and not saying I'm defending it) is grounded on execution. His philosophy is to take a half dozen plays and be able to run them at will against whoever you're playing. So you have to understand that "execution" is just going to be a thing with Malzahn.

The problem with playing that kind of Smashmouth football is that if you don't have the Jimmy's and Joe's then (as we've seen several times) and defensive coordinator worth his salt can scheme against it. The "genius" that Malzahn had been credited with had been in the misdirection metagame...

I really don't know how this idea of Gus and his "ego" came about but I just don't buy it, it's purely speculative and falls just as flat as the other strawmen and ad hominems thrown at him. But his product on the field is certainly fair game for criticism. I can't defend his product on the field but I don't think we can afford to cut him either, not unless our power brokers are ready to spend 50-60 million dollars. And even then that's far from a sure thing.

Right now the least painful solution for everyone is to rally around the team and hope Gus makes changes in the off season to his staff and system. 

24 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

Gus' entire offensive philosophy (and not saying I'm defending it) is grounded on execution. His philosophy is to take a half dozen plays and be able to run them at will against whoever you're playing. So you have to understand that "execution" is just going to be a thing with Malzahn.

The problem with playing that kind of Smashmouth football is that if you don't have the Jimmy's and Joe's then (as we've seen several times) and defensive coordinator worth his salt can scheme against it. The "genius" that Malzahn had been credited with had been in the misdirection metagame...

I really don't know how this idea of Gus and his "ego" came about but I just don't buy it, it's purely speculative and falls just as flat as the other strawmen and ad hominems thrown at him. But his product on the field is certainly fair game for criticism. I can't defend his product on the field but I don't think we can afford to cut him either, not unless our power brokers are ready to spend 50-60 million dollars. And even then that's far from a sure thing.

Right now the least painful solution for everyone is to rally around the team and hope Gus makes changes in the off season to his staff and system. 

He will probably hire another 26 year old "yes man". He is out of his league, and can't see it. If he cannot recruit the personnel for his system, why keep him? The game has evolved to where good coaches scheme the system to fit their personnel. He can't do it. To what other reason would you attribute his reluctance to even give Gatewood a few snaps, when your QB can't even throw accurately enough to throw a interception? Why would he put a one-legged Whitlow in for the Wildcat, and not put in a 230 lb., 6'3", QB, for that play? Pure idiocy, or ego, afraid of being second guessed? I don't know. JMO

23 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

The only change that needs to be made is him. How many times will the offensive side of the ball have staff changes and still perform piss poor? It's the head not the appendages. 

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I think this program has did everything to maintain the MO and maintain recruiting classes, support for the football complex, a sense of continuity with every sport except MBB facing some tough times since Gus has been here, but I think you just gotta rip the bandaid off. Even I wanted us to keep em for the sake of keeping the '21 class together, but what's the point? We look at Bo who only committed because Gus got kept...what's the point of keeping a guy who isn't going to develop those prospects into their best form? 

NOW, I don't trust Auburn to find a guy who can be that long term answer..how often have they historically...but we have to start finding him

we hire some cat and give him an ok base sa;ary. then we give him a cool million for beating lsu, a million for bama, and and a million for jawja.same thing but bonuses for finishing in the top ten and winning bowl games. in other word give them a mil or two as a base salary and let them earn the est. auburn should pony up and not skimp on assistant coaches. a coach could make some serious cash. and we should have learned our lesson with buyouts.we should make sure we do not reward a bad effort. you do well you get the gold. you fail and you go home with traveling money. sorry for being all over the place i am extremely fried and going to hit that sack. but thats a good deal right?

4 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

we hire some cat and give him an ok base sa;ary. then we give him a cool million for beating lsu, a million for bama, and and a million for jawja.same thing but bonuses for finishing in the top ten and winning bowl games. in other word give them a mil or two as a base salary and let them earn the est. auburn should pony up and not skimp on assistant coaches. a coach could make some serious cash. and we should have learned our lesson with buyouts.we should make sure we do not reward a bad effort. you do well you get the gold. you fail and you go home with traveling money. sorry for being all over the place i am extremely fried and going to hit that sack. but thats a good deal right?

That’s actually a similar deal to the one Coach O has at LSU. His salary is nowhere near what most of the other SEC coaches have. And it seems to be working. 

After seeing him play,  I was not so impressed with him.  He had some overthrows also,  and he does not have the balance needed to run in the SEC.  Hell, a little  ARKANSAS  back knocked him down like a jenga pile.

I can't blame him for questioning whether he'll ever have a role at AU but I'd think a lot less of him if he actually quit during the season.

3 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

After seeing him play,  I was not so impressed with him.  He had some overthrows also,  and he does not have the balance needed to run in the SEC.  Hell, a little  ARKANSAS  back knocked him down like a jenga pile.

He's 5 of 7 with 2 passing touchdowns.  He's averaging over 5 yards per carry. 

I'm not sure how he could be doing any better give the role he's had to play.

Anybody think Joey hasn't seen significant playing time because hes not any better or more prepared than Bo? If Joey goes out there and stinks it up just as bad, Gus loses his freshmen QB excuse and then shows his hand that he has no QB ready.

I definitely think he should have been given a shot at UF and LSU due to Bo's struggles.  Just makes me wonder as Gus has always favored the QB with more of a run threat. 

3 minutes ago, atl-tiger said:

Anybody think Joey hasn't seen significant playing time because hes not any better or more prepared than Bo? If Joey goes out there and stinks it up just as bad, Gus loses his freshmen QB excuse and then shows his hand that he has no QB ready.

Not putting JG seems to indicate we don't have a 2nd string QB ready as much as putting him in and him not performing well. 

If QB1 hit's less than 43% of his passes then QB2 deserves a shot to do better.  I don't see how anyone can disagree with that statement.

Archived