Joey Gatewood (Update 10/30: Leaves the team)

Zeek

15 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

I think the fact people who disagree get named childish things like Gusketeer could be more the reason. And before you blast me, I don’t come down on any side bc I don’t have enough facts to.  You are correct, tho. The haters out weigh all others by a long shot, so much so it’s  impossible to get any other info anymore.  All are in forum heaven.  Enjoy.

Oh, you mean labels like haters, trolls, or just plain bad fans because we more or less demand performance out of a man who is paid $7 million dollars a year to win football games? The labels work both ways. Personally I don't hate the man, but will not hesitate to point out the deficiencies in his job performance. Look, I'm sure 64 is a fine gentleman, but I get the idea that with him, and a few others here that the only reason we question Gus's decisions on player development, roster management, and overall offensive production is just because we don't like the man. That is simply not the case. 

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So i'm not on the Joey would save AU if only given the chance train. I'm a firm believer that the backup QB is always the most popular player on any team that is not undefeated just because we haven't seen him screw up yet. I think Bo did in fact win the job away from Joey in spring ball like many have said. But with all that said i was looking for him to get a shot in the LSU game when our offense could do nothing for pretty much the entire game outside of the first drive, last drive, and one long running play. It looked to me like Bo was over throwing his receivers by large margins. Gatewood may not have been any better but we'll never know cause he never got a shot. Its obvious to me that barring injury he will not get a chance to play at AU so IMO the quicker he can find a new team and start learning their plays and getting to know their players the better it will be for him. 

1 hour ago, atl-tiger said:

Anybody think Joey hasn't seen significant playing time because hes not any better or more prepared than Bo? If Joey goes out there and stinks it up just as bad, Gus loses his freshmen QB excuse and then shows his hand that he has no QB ready.. 

Agree 100%

11 hours ago, ellitor said:

There's absolutely 0 benefit to leaving now. If he is going to leave then January or after Spring ball makes much more sense.

I disagree. I think for Joey it makes a strong statement. I have no doubt Joey will play for another team and wil do well. He has shown good work ethics, he does well in school and has had no discipline problems. If he leaves now then he makes a statement that what Gus has done is not right or morally correct . Others have left in the middle of the season. Fields for one and he did well. I hate for Joey what Gus has done to him and wish him all the success wherever he goes . 

5 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

Oh, you mean labels like haters, trolls, or just plain bad fans because we more or less demand performance out of a man who is paid $7 million dollars a year to win football games? The labels work both ways. Personally I don't hate the man, but will not hesitate to point out the deficiencies in his job performance. 

Pointing out deficiencies, which has been done over and over and over again, with nothing new added, gets old.    But I’m sure the response will be “then why do I keep coming back, leave” is an appropriate  one.  I do think with all of the experts on this board, a much cheaper option than Gus can be found right here.

I’m telling you here and now this is just the first shoe to drop. I believe their are others on this team that are beginning to feel that Bo is getting unfair advantage because of his namesake. I think others will follow Joey. 

3 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

Pointing out deficiencies, which has been done over and over and over again, with nothing new added, gets old.    But I’m sure the response will be “then why do I keep coming back, leave” is an appropriate  one.  I do think with all of the experts on this board, a much cheaper option than Gus can be found right here.

LOL, I'm sure a few could do no worse

7 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I’m telling you here and now this is just the first shoe to drop. I believe their are others on this team that are beginning to feel that Bo is getting unfair advantage because of his namesake. I think others will follow Joey. 

The Auburn beat writer bias was bad as well. There was certainly an agenda the prop up Nix and the name. Everyone in the conference is wondering why Gatewood isn't getting a chance. I believe he had close to 30 P5 offers, including Alabama, LSU, Florida, Clemson, Miami, Texas, etc. Everyone wanted Gatewood and saw his potential. 

Reading through a lot of these comments and it becomes CRYSTAL CLEAR why I stopped coming here. 

Some of you people will only be happy if Gus is the coach. Who cares he almost always goes 8-5? 

I get supporting your team or your coach, but when said coach refuses to even consider pulling an entirely ineffective QB playing on par with JJ6 and JF3, this is what you get. 

And to anyone with eyes, it was CLEAR that Gatewood had been told he would go in when we were at the 5 yard line. He started to run in without hesitation. YOU DONT DO THAT IF YOU HAVENT BEEN TOLD YOU WOULD GO IN ON THAT SITUATION ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE BARELY PLAYED ALL SEASON. Then to have Gus grab him and shake his finger in his face... That was basically spitting in Gatewoods face. 

I dont blame him for ONE INSTANT. I hope he transfers to Oklahoma and puts up video game numbers... And just puts egg all over Malzahns face. 

This is horrible. Gus has wasted arguably the best front 7 we have ever fielded... And the fact he wont even consider a change says ALL that EVER needs said about Malzahn. 

22 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Agreed. And I'm hoping that some of them do it for their own sake. Maybe they succeed elsewhere, maybe not. But they owe it to themselves to try. Unless there's a coaching change, of course. 

8 minutes ago, bigbird said:

You left?

I havent even been on this site since like the 2nd game. I got tired of arguing with people, seeing people unfairly banned (jeff,) and just all the BS here. Some people like you have a real sense of football. Then we have the others... You are in the minority my man.

And I dont care what anyone thinks about me. So y'all like it up with him asking that. I mean I only went from posting around 20 posts per day or more to not even visiting the site, but whatever

Perusing various other AU boards shows that GM has very little support from the "joefan" base. He is barely treading water, and with every loss, his head gets deeper. I never wanted him as HC and don't want him now, but for the present, it is what it is so I don't intend to waste emotional energy on him now that most everyone sees what I saw, even in 2009 when he was OC. All the talk of the "money is there" I have no idea, but its time to find out

Nobody knows what Joey can do on the field because he barely plays. He may be great. He may be terrible. It isn’t fair to judge him. 
The fact is that while Bo Nix may be a future HOF player, he is struggling badly in some of these big games. There are times he needs to be shown the bench to calm his nerves. If Joey is not ready to play for a few series in these games, that is on the head coach. He has to have him ready. If Joey is not good enough to play, that is on the head coach. He recruited him (even though he did not start in HS). 
Gus said after the game he did not even think about giving Joey a shot in that game. To me that is unfair to the entire team. 
Also- I have not seen anything this morning say that Joey has 100% left the team. 

Word from Auburn rumor store this morning that he was at practice yesterday but for whatever reason did not participate. I disagree with not giving him a shot for a series or or so verses LSU and FL. That is a Gus decision. Will be and should be as long he is coach. Would not blame JG for transferring but quitting right now probably not in his best football future interest for a few reasons imo.

39 minutes ago, bigbird said:

You left?

He is more active on other forums, in particular the thread made by thrustmaxwell and L I G E R to intentionally troll this forum:

https://jamesmadison.forums.rivals.com/threads/l-i-g-e-r-other-aufamily-members.2074/

Capture.JPG.9bac28880866bdd64a043e6b9e786077.jpg

I do not understand why everyone is sounding off the fire alarms.  This was always a very real possibility of happening and we all understood that.  It has even been discussed in detail on the recruiting forum of us looking for a second quarterback is Gatewood transfers.  I believe Gatewood is very talented, and when you have two talented players a transfer will most likely happen.

Also, these are just pure rumors aside from the fact he missed practice.  Rumors are what can embarrass a fanbase.  Remember Josh Moon?

1 hour ago, Eagle-1 said:

Oh, you mean labels like haters, trolls, or just plain bad fans because we more or less demand performance out of a man who is paid $7 million dollars a year to win football games? The labels work both ways. 

Labels do work both ways.  Both sides have been at fault.  But the only way to move forward in a positive way is not continue down that path.  Using the excuse of "well they did it so I am going to continue doing it" does not help the "divide."  I am not trying to be critical of you, just to hopefully bring you onto my team of helping stop both sides from bickering with one another.  Is that fair?

5 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I do not understand why everyone is sounding off the fire alarms.  This was always a very real possibility of happening and we all understood that.  It has even been discussed in detail on the recruiting forum of us looking for a second quarterback is Gatewood transfers.  I believe Gatewood is very talented, and when you have two talented players a transfer will most likely happen.

It’s agitating that we all saw it coming, but Gus never did anything to stop it. Anyone with eyes could see that Bo was not getting it done against UF or LSU, but never made the move or adjustment to put in Gatewood. We never had a chance with Bo. We MAY have had a chance with Gatewood, but now we will never know. I am going to support Gatewood wherever he goes. 

1 minute ago, logan adams said:

It’s agitating that we all saw it coming, but Gus never did anything to stop it. Anyone with eyes could see that Bo was not getting it done against UF or LSU, but never made the move or adjustment to put in Gatewood. We never had a chance with Bo. We MAY have had a chance with Gatewood, but now we will never know. I am going to support Gatewood wherever he goes. 

I will support him as well, but what are you going to do really?  I would have personally like to have seen Gatewood come in the game more as well.  But eventually one of these QB's would have transferred.  It happens.  Look at Justin Fields.  On the flip side, what if Gatewood started and Nix might transfer.  You would have people saying "Gus can't even keep our star legacy" or "Here is another 5* player to transfer out."  Like I said, we knew ahead of time one would transfer most likely, it was a difficult position for any coach to be in.  Would playing Gatewood more keep him?  Personally I think so judging by his high school situation but you never know.

2 hours ago, TigerOne said:

Does it matter if he practices or not?

From the amount of playing time he gets, apparently not.

2 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

He'll have to sit a year wherever he goes unless it is JUCO or FCS though.

I thought the NCAA would give you a waiver if your coach was inept at your position? False advertising or something similar (lemon law)?

22 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

He is more active on other forums, in particular the thread made by thrustmaxwell and L I G E R to intentionally troll this forum:

https://jamesmadison.forums.rivals.com/threads/l-i-g-e-r-other-aufamily-members.2074/

Capture.JPG.9bac28880866bdd64a043e6b9e786077.jpg

I don't know who's who in these threads but a take-away or three....

1) Another example of AUFamily being the best forum there is (though it is struggling ATM....much like the Offense).  And I don't care what cowardly keyboard warriors think of us.  Okay, because you're a millennial and don't mind being an ass you're superior to us.  10/4.

2) Why is there so much Auburn discussion on a James Madison forum?  Are they some kind of sister university?  I don't get it. 

3) Just......SMH....

Archived