Joey Gatewood (Update 10/30: Leaves the team)

Zeek

Just now, AUsince72 said:

2) Why is there so much Auburn discussion on a James Madison forum?  Are they some kind of sister university?  I don't get it. 

It was a hi-jacked thread since no one was using that thread in hopes we wouldn't find it.  This thread was sniffed out around NSD of this year.

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

It was a hi-jacked thread since no one was using that thread in hopes we wouldn't find it.  This thread was sniffed out around NSD of this year.

Okay, so......

Trying to hide?  What are they, old west bank-robbers with hankies on their faces to hide their identity?

As much as the greasers & socs go after each other here and are ruining the board, reading that stuff makes me feel like a shower to clean off the grime.

Oh well, the internet truly is for everyone. 

12 hours ago, cole256 said:

Now if we really want to talk about who's been saying this a long long time and people owe an apology then.....I was told I just want to argue and sprinkler contest.....I was told I was bashing players....I called out how people have been on some hypocritical stuff

Stuff said to flex was light work compared to stuff I got....a few hit me up and apologized though so it's all good

Not me though!

6 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I will support him as well, but what are you going to do really?  I would have personally like to have seen Gatewood come in the game more as well.  But eventually one of these QB's would have transferred.  It happens.  Look at Justin Fields.  On the flip side, what if Gatewood started and Nix might transfer.  You would have people saying "Gus can't even keep our star legacy" or "Here is another 5* player to transfer out."  Like I said, we knew ahead of time one would transfer most likely, it was a difficult position for any coach to be in.  Would playing Gatewood more keep him?  Personally I think so judging by his high school situation but you never know.

CGM promised Gatewood that he'd use him in the offense - he promised packages for him.  It is obvious to anyone that watched that game that there was an understanding between Gus & Joey.  JG had the offensive package when AU was inside the 5 yrd line.....Joey understood that and he did his job on Saturday - he was ready to GO.  He jumped out there for HIS time, for his package.  He was yanked back to the sideline by the HC. 

Then later in the game CGM chose to use an injured Whitlow as opposed to a healthy Gatewood.  

Now get to work awb0004, shine this thang up and make it pretty for the rest of us - put a positive spin on what happened.

Kid must be pretty pissed to take off with this many games/opportunities left. I wish the best for him. Had the opportunity to meet him at A-Day and he was super cool to my daughter and her friend. He even joked with my wife about cropping his hair out a selfie he took with our group.

We as a fan base will never know what could have been and I suppose this will be a continued argument for years and years. This sucks most for Joey who genuinely wanted to play QB for AU. He should have gotten a chance against Florida and against LSU. I hope he succeeds wherever he goes. 

10 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

It’s official according to Brandon Marcello

Perfect Roster Management by this staff, absolutely Perfect.

Mid-season with two of the four toughest games still on the slate and Auburn has ONE QB.  The entire offensive staff let this happen in the middle of the year - WOW.

Rivals confirmed as well. Crazy. 
I am very surprised he is not sticking it out for 4 more games. He must really dislike Gus. 
The moment he was pulled back by Gus in the LSU game I figured he was done. They probably practiced red zone scoring with him all week and then Gus changed it in the game. Good thing we scored a field goal! 

I guess the arm pull by Gus was the moment Joey said "He'll never let me play meaningful time here". So sad but he will be a huge addition to whatever team he goes to. Best wishes to him.

4 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

We as a fan base will never know what could have been and I suppose this will be a continued argument for years and years. This sucks most for Joey who genuinely wanted to play QB for AU. He should have gotten a chance against Florida and against LSU. I hope he succeeds wherever he goes. 

The Locker Room is fine though, no doubt about it.

All nice and friendly, folks getting along, everyone of the players just wants to do their job and help AU win.....It's ALL GOOD.  

😎

Yes, we knew one of them would likely transfer and that's just the nature of CFB right now. But this isn't like Fields, Jalen, Bryant, et al. Gus had a chance to use both this year and Joey could have been a valuable consistent player if not viable starter. This is solely on Gus and his poor roster management

1 minute ago, gr82b4au said:

Rivals confirmed as well. Crazy. 
I am very surprised he is not sticking it out for 4 more games. He must really dislike Gus. 
The moment he was pulled back by Gus in the LSU game I figured he was done. They probably practiced red zone scoring with him all week and then Gus changed it in the game. Good thing we scored a field goal! 

Was a total embarrassment if you've been promised packages and the ideal time to use that package you get yanked back on national TV and have to stand there like good soldier, a good Auburn Man and watch your offense struggle the rest of the game.

This is embarrassing for this program. I’m not sure who all needs to be removed but they have got to go. For him to leave now really speaks volumes on how he feels about his situation and that should speak to us. Saban didn’t hesitate to pull Jalen for Tua and still hung onto both for an entire year because he gave them both a true chance. That’s how you handle it. 

link

Source: Backup quarterback Joey Gatewood leaves team

ByBRANDON MARCELLO 

Backup quarterback Joey Gatewood has left the Auburn football program, a person familiar with the situation tells Auburn Undercover.

Gatewood did not attend practice Tuesday and was mulling whether to leave the team Tuesday night.

Gatewood met with Auburn coach Gus Malzahn and staff members in the early afternoon Tuesday to discuss his future. Gatewood's discussion with Malzahn and other staffers at Auburn came on the heels of a sub-par performance by the offense in which Gatewood's role was diminished as a "package" quarterback behind starter Bo Nix.

Nix struggled in losses at LSU and Florida, where he combined to hit 41.9 percent of his passes and threw two touchdown with four interceptions. Malzahn was asked Sunday at a press conference if he has or will consider a change at quarterback.

“Well, I mean, we’re going to do what’s best for our team, but right now a lot of the things — Bo was put in some pretty tough situations on nine third-down-and-10-plus (at LSU), and there was some things that he would like to have back, but there were also some things that he did well,” Malzahn said. “So he’ll continue to improve. That’s how we’re looking at it.”

Nix and Gatewood battled for the starting job during preseason camp, with Nix emerging as the victor in mid-August. Nix became the first true freshman quarterback to start for Auburn in a season opener since 1946.

Members of Auburn's leadership council, which includes defensive tackle Derrick Brown, were asked to try to convince Gatewood to stay on the Plains, sources tell Auburn Undercover. It's not clear if that meeting with the council and Gatewood occurred, however. 

Gatewood is 5 of 7 passing for 54 yards and two touchdowns to go along with 29 rushes for 148 yards and three touchdowns this season. He has mostly been utilized in short-yardage situations, special packages in the red zone and late in blowout victories against Arkansas and Mississippi State.

The former 4-star prospect out of Bartram Trail High in Jacksonville, Florida was rated the nation's No. 1 athlete in the class of 2018, according to the 247Sports Composite. He sat out the 2018 season at Auburn, and will have to sit out the 2020 season if he transfers to an FBS program.

Gatewood's departure leaves Auburn without much depth at quarterback. Cord Sandberg is expected to serve as Nix's backup, but the offensive staff will likely utilize running backs JaTarvious Whitlow or D.J. Williams in Wildcat packages more often if Nix were to be injured during the final month of the season.

Both Whitlow and Williams played quarterback in high school. Sandberg is attending Auburn to mostly prepare himself for a career in coaching, and his arm strength is a huge question mark.

14 minutes ago, Timbeaux38 said:

Kid must be pretty pissed to take off with this many games/opportunities left. I wish the best for him. Had the opportunity to meet him at A-Day and he was super cool to my daughter and her friend. He even joked with my wife about cropping his hair out a selfie he took with our group.

Games, yes. I think this last one, though, made it very clear that he's not forgoing many opportunities. 

Just head the news as I’m always late to the show. Must admit feeling sick at my stomachs over this.  I want the best for Joey but admit I would have felt better reading Gus has left the team instead of Joey. I get he wanted to leave but why this late in the season. Everyone remembers arias moment came was in the last game of the year and it changed everything. Why not bail after the year is over. 

makes me wonder about what I saw on the sideline last Saturday. He tried to run in on a play and Gus held him back rudely saying something and shaking his head. I felt bad for JG. 

1 hour ago, gr82b4au said:

Nobody knows what Joey can do on the field because he barely plays. He may be great. He may be terrible. It isn’t fair to judge him. 
The fact is that while Bo Nix may be a future HOF player, he is struggling badly in some of these big games. There are times he needs to be shown the bench to calm his nerves. If Joey is not ready to play for a few series in these games, that is on the head coach. He has to have him ready. If Joey is not good enough to play, that is on the head coach. He recruited him (even though he did not start in HS). 
Gus said after the game he did not even think about giving Joey a shot in that game. To me that is unfair to the entire team. 
Also- I have not seen anything this morning say that Joey has 100% left the team. 

Agree. here is my real gripe. Last spring Gus was raving about these two quarterbacks. He said both were good and both could run the team. Even listed them more as 1A and 1B bs 1 and 2. So can he not evaluate talent or was he just lying to everyone? Cause now he won’t even risk putting Joey on the field and Bo is playing like a junior high school QB. If they were that bad why did he not go after a transfer? There were several better QBs  than what we have seen from Bo so far. When Joey came in Gus raved about him. Last spring he admitted that when they went live Joey was better . That’s why it is my truthful opinion that Pat has put his foot down that Bo plays or Bo leaves. If that’s the case Gus needs to be fired now.

I just have no words right now. I'm going back to work before I really get into it with somebody on this board. Good luck Joey. You deserve so much better.  

Archived