Kevin Steele

aubiefifty

Chizik - Good DC at Auburn. Mediocre HC

Gus - Good OC at Auburn. Mediocre HC

Something about that promotion just wrecked them. I understand "3rd time's a charm" idea, but let's just keep Steele at DC 😂

BEING A GOOD OR GREAT COORDINATOR HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH BEING A GOOD HEAD COACH

YES I AM YELLING

40 minutes ago, Tiger said:

BEING A GOOD OR GREAT COORDINATOR HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH BEING A GOOD HEAD COACH

YES I AM YELLING

The trail is littered with coaches who were good coordinators, but failures as HC.  No doubt about that.  That said, if AU is going to make a change with the HC position and limits its search to only successful head coaches, they better get out a giant check book, like what aTm did.  I would not be in favor of that. 

Lastly, what you or I think we should do with a search for a new HC, if that happens, is totally immaterial unless your name is Harbert or Rane.  Mine isn’t.  But our thoughts do make for good discourse...perhaps we might even find a nugget or two. 

23 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

The trail is littered with coaches who were good coordinators, but failures as HC.  No doubt about that.  That said, if AU is going to make a change with the HC position and limits its search to only successful head coaches, they better get out a giant check book, like what aTm did.  I would not be in favor of that. 

Lastly, what you or I think we should do with a search for a new HC, if that happens, is totally immaterial unless your name is Harbert or Rane.  Mine isn’t.  But our thoughts do make for good discourse...perhaps we might even find a nugget or two. 

I just want somebody who's been in the college game for more than a few years. But I'd rather we write a big check to someone who's shown they've done it before. It would seem counter productive to pay so much for the buyout then follow that up by skimping on hiring a new guy. 

You're right -- what we think doesn't matter. However, I do like that there were some Stoops/Rane talk last year. That means we are looking to land a big fish -- we did it for basketball we should take the same approach in football IMO. It's not my money, so to me, I don't care how much we pay lol unless it affects our budget in other sports like basketball

4 hours ago, keesler said:

Keep Garner and TWill and promote them both?  Their recruiting would stay the same as it is now.  I'd have to think KS has a history of working for some elite HC's, and he likely learned a thing or two about how to run and SEC program along the way.  As long as he had a vision of an offense and hired the staff to implement it and cut 'em loose to do their job, I'd be ok with it.

You can't fire a coach and expect to keep certain coaches on his staff.  Conversely, you have to give the new coach the ability to pick his own people.  Who is to say Twill and Garner wouldn't follow Gus?  They both love him.  

Archived