What Gus said about Ole Miss

aubiefifty

What Gus Malzahn said about upcoming Ole Miss game

Updated Oct 29, 2019;Posted Oct 29, 2019

3 minutes

Coming off its second loss of the season -- a 23-20 setback against new No. 1 LSU -- Auburn is back at it this week as it turns the page to Ole Miss. The Tigers host the Rebels on Saturday at 6 p.m., with the game broadcast on ESPN.

Auburn coach Gus Malzahn met with the media for his weekly Tuesday press conference to preview the Ole Miss game. Below is a quick recap of everything Malzahn had to say about his team coming off the loss and the Rebels.

GUS MALZAHN

-- First of all, very excited to be back home after road games all October.

-- Very talented Ole Miss group that has had an extra week to prepare.

-- Ole Miss very capable of producing explosive runs. Young quarterback has impressed Malzahn.

-- Run defense has been solid for Ole Miss, he says.

-- Auburn wants a victory this weekend before the open week to “get some momentum back.”

-- Ole Miss QB Plumlee really impresses him with his running ability.

-- On Bo Nix not running much against LSU: I think any time our QB is a runner, it opens things up. “It can be effective, it really opens things up.”

-- How difficult is it to prepare for Rich Rodriguez’s offense? “They do a lot of different things, and they have two quarterbacks” who present different challenges. They use RPOs that “pull people different ways,” and it’s a challenge to prepare for.

-- On running the ball: “We’re a run, play-action team. We need to be effective running the football.”

-- Top teams in SEC very rarely lose at home: “It’s a difference-maker. We play better at home, there’s no doubt.... Our group is a lot more comfortable (at home)."

-- How tired is the team after LSU? “It was a physical game; I think everybody saw that.” Malzahn expects team to come out with great energy. As of now, he expects everybody to play, which is pretty important.

-- Bo Nix is playing better at home, “but that’s to be expected of a freshman quarterback.”

-- On running back rotation: “We’ll get the best plan, for whatever that is, for the game.”

-- On potential offensive line changes: Nick Brahms will have an opportunity to compete this week for the starting center job.

-- Very impressed by D.J. Williams’ performance. Running backs will continue to rotate, and Boobee Whitlow will still be limited this weekend.

-- Any temptation to turn to Joey Gatewood more when Bo Nix struggles? “Every game is different.”

AL.com will update this post.

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

3 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

How difficult is it to prepare for Rich Rodriguez’s offense? “They do a lot of different things, and they have two quarterbacks” who present different challenges. They use RPOs that “pull people different ways,” and it’s a challenge to prepare for.

Wow Gus, ya think?

"Any temptation to turn to Joey Gatewood more when Bo Nix struggles? “Every game is different.”

This question seems dated

13 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

-- Ole Miss very capable of producing explosive runs. Young quarterback has impressed Malzahn.

Welp. Gus is impressed with the Ole Miss QB.  The Rebels are doomed.

On running the ball: “We’re a run, play-action team. We need to be effective running the football.”

On running the ball: “We need to be effective on offense.”

FIFY Gus. The team has no offensive identity. 

2 hours ago, doverstutts said:

I suspect very few give a damn what Gus has to say about OM. Its BS anyway

Actually I think most AU fans don’t believe what he says about anything at this point. 

Yeah, I really don't give a damn anymore. "On Bo Nix not running much against LSU: I think any time our QB is a runner, it opens things up. “It can be effective, it really opens things up.”

No words...

35 minutes ago, GTNupe11 said:

Yeah, I really don't give a damn anymore. "On Bo Nix not running much against LSU: I think any time our QB is a runner, it opens things up. “It can be effective, it really opens things up.”

No words...

That pretty much sums it all up 

43 minutes ago, GTNupe11 said:

No words...

I am beginning to think he has cracked mentally. Its almost beyond the limits of sanity

49 minutes ago, GTNupe11 said:

No words...

No, really, I got a lot out of this.....

3 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Welp. Gus is impressed with the Ole Miss QB.  The Rebels are doomed.

No joke, the consensus I've heard from the talking heads on Ole Miss QBs are that neither seperated themselves as the starter before the year, and both have been so "meh" this season that it's just an ongoing competition. The inconsistency at QB for ole miss was cited as their biggest offensive weakness by just about everyone I listen to.

And then Gus is impressed with them.... 🗑️ 

• WarTiger changed the title to What Gus said about Ole Miss
4 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

“We’re a run, play-action team. We need to be effective running the football.”

tenor.gif

In listening to Tiger Talk, Gus said...and I quote. “Cord has a great opportunity now! He’s an older guy with a lot of maturity” I’m still trying to figure out what his definition of “opportunity” is.

I wonder if Gus Malzahn knows how much the fan base dislikes him? Lol. I have to think some of the boosters do as well 

20 minutes ago, SuperAUsome said:

In listening to Tiger Talk, Gus said...and I quote. “Cord has a great opportunity now! He’s an older guy with a lot of maturity” I’m still trying to figure out what his definition of “opportunity” is.

I typed two responses and deleted them both.  I simply am speechless.

3 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

How many frickin times are you going to post this gif....................over and over as the DC5 would say

I predict that he’ll stop after we run a different play than IZ or wildcat after a first down. Spitballing here....

Archived