Back In Time--Where Were You When...? 🤔

ToraGirl

2 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

I did!  So that's the one you added--good one!  So FTT was "Seminary Part TWO"(the DMin experience) and 1993 was "Seminary Part ONE"--MDiv.  I just remember meeting Lewis Grizzard in a Lexington bookstore-to-end-all-others, signing books.  I said, "Lewis, if I ever get back to Alabama, I'm gonna nail my feet to the ground."  He said, "Honey, I don't blame you a bit."  In Big Blue country, it's all basketball, so I wasn't really following except in a homesick-kind-of-way.  (Plus my dad in Auburn had just been diagnosed with medullary thyroid cancer...so, even loving those rock fences and rolling hills, I was still ret ta go.)

Image result for if i ever get back to georgia

I was 12 and listened to every game on the radio. Because of probation. Playing with G.I. Joe and Transformers. I remember right after the Bama game we went to Eastdale Mall in Montgomery and loaded up on score shirts.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We listened to much of the "Bo over the top game", in 1982. We were hunting in the Talladega National Forest, listening on the radio. I sure miss Jim Fyffe. I was 29 years old. My Dad was still alive and we all rejoiced, while standing around the truck, listening to Fyffe's call of the game. Good times. 23-22 and ended a nine game win streak for bammer.

2 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

OHS Class of...19? I was 1984, AHS. "Six degrees of separation." These are great memories, Eagle-1; thank you for sharing. 

Class of 81 Tora. I knew a lot of people from AHS. Dated a few girls from there. We probably know some of the same people. My Dad, and uncle were also AHS graduates. Dad was class of 55, Uncle was class of 58 I believe. I'm sure you probably knew Doug Chamblee. He was a good friend of mine.

1 minute ago, Eagle-1 said:

Class of 81 Tora. I knew a lot of people from AHS. Dated a few girls from there. We probably know some of the same people.

I bet we do!  My first boyfriend set cross country and track records at OHS, mid-1980's.  I think we both tired of the classmates we knew and went to each other's "dark side"...LOL!  Fun times!

1 minute ago, ToraGirl said:

I bet we do!  My first boyfriend set cross country and track records at OHS, mid-1980's.  I think we both tired of the classmates we knew and went to each other's "dark side"...LOL!  Fun times!

I left in 83, and moved to Atlanta, then to Athens in 87. Lakeland, FL from 04-07, then finally settled here in Toccoa, GA, which is on the South Carolina line about 20 miles from Clemson  in 07.

10 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

I left in 83, and moved to Atlanta, then to Athens in 87. Lakeland, FL from 04-07, then finally settled here in Toccoa, GA, which is on the South Carolina line about 20 miles from Clemson  in 07.

Toccoa...that's BEAUTIFUL country.  You're close to Tallulah Falls!

Just now, ToraGirl said:

Toccoa...that's BEAUTIFUL country.  You're close to Tallulah Falls!

Yep. I put 26 modular units in for the Tallulah falls school motel, and conference center a few years ago.

5 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

Change of pace...and an option for those who lament the lack of thread variety right now. Share YOUR story!

Where I was when...

17-16 rocked the world? 

Tuscaloosa Alabama on a Thanksgiving weekend. Sad night in that town. 

Bo Jackson chose AU over UA? 

Can not remember. Bo was not highly recruited and recruiting was not "another season" then. Better question is when did you first see Bo play for Auburn? Vs.Wake Forest I think. Remember being there with 59,000 as official attendance. Coach Dye says Auburn took a survey 120,000 claim to have been there.

One 2013 second changed it all?

Great thinking by our coaches to set that up. Feel the game was ours in overtime. On my patio in Auburn listening to Rod with one eye on the television.

Michael Dyer never went down, despite the DayGlo rumblings (Duck drivel)?

Phoenix Arizona 

5 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Can not remember. Bo was not highly recruited and recruiting was not "another season" then. Better question is when did you first see Bo play for Auburn? 

The "Bo chose"...was huge because he was interested in Bama and Bear passed.  But I didn't know it then and only read about it recently.  

"Who are some of the biggest near-misses for the Crimson Tide and Tigers in recruiting history?

Alabama--Bo Jackson, 1982 -- How close Jackson came to signing with Alabama is up for debate, but it's indisputable that he played a big part in re-configuring the Iron Bowl rivalry in the 1980s. Jackson has said Alabama assistant Ken Donahue told him he wouldn't play early in his career with the Crimson Tide, though it's just as likely the long-rumored retirement of Paul "Bear" Bryant played a bigger role in Jackson's decision to go to Auburn...."

Don't read the rest of the article if you want to keep your blood pressure down.:jossun:  https://www.al.com/sports/2017/06/all-access_biggest_recruiting.html

Where I was when...

17-16 rocked the world? 

Seventh grade St. Clair County JH. Moody Al. Made a bet with a classmate that Auburn would win and then let him off the hook to show him Auburn fans were classier than Bama fans. 

Birmingham Southern College and working in the Produce Dept part time trying to figure out what I wanted to do with my life. . 

Watching the game with my wife and then watching the replay over and over and over. Went to work the next day in Fultondale Al and not hearing a word from anyone who had been running their mouth all week. The quietest they've ever been. 

Watching at home after a rare snow in Alabama. I remember being scared all day thinking the satellite dish would go out due to the weather. It didn't. 

Now where were your when you first knew you were an Auburn fan?

I was 10 years old and the HS my sister went to was the Erwin Eagles. I listened every afternoon to the band playing War Eagle. I could hear it in the classroom. That year during the Iron Bowl Sullivan and Beasley sealed my fate for me and I never doubted my choice. My family was Bama at the time so I bucked the trend. 

Edited  by ToraGirl

1 minute ago, gr82be said:

Where I was when...

17-16 rocked the world? 

Seventh grade St. Clair County JH. Moody Al. Made a bet with a classmate that Auburn would win and then let him off the hook to show him Auburn fans were classier than Bama fans. 

Birmingham Southern College and working in the Produce Dept part time trying to figure out what I wanted to do with my life. . 

Watching the game with my wife and then watching the replay over and over and over. Went to work the next day in Fultondale Al and not hearing a word from anyone who had been running their mouth all week. The quietest they've ever been. 

Watching at home after a rare snow in Alabama. I remember being scared all day thinking the satellite dish would go out due to the weather. It didn't. 

Now where were your when you first knew you were an Auburn fan?

I was 10 years old and the HS my sister went to was the Erwin Eagles. I listened every afternoon to the band playing War Eagle. I could hear it in the classroom. That year during the Iron Bowl Sullivan and Beasley sealed my fate for me and I never doubted my choice. My family was Bama at the time so I bucked the trend. 

Takes courage to buck the family, gr82be!  Annnnnnddddd...I remember that snow, too!  We had less than you, living in Millbrook, but I remember getting the word somewhere near gametime that school would be out the next day.  Had to skip a day before we could see the mullet meltdown in our territory, but yes, I remember well!  Great memories...thank you for sharing, and love your added question!

7 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

Where I was when...

17-16 rocked the world? 

Listening to the game on the radio in my room. It was my first quarter enrolled in pre-engineering at AU after completing a tour of duty in South Vietnam in March of that same year. I needed to study hard and clear my head. I did both and graduated with a BSME in December 1975. I recorded the game on cassette tape that day and for a while everyone I knew wanted to borrow the tape and make a copy. 

1Bo Jackson chose AU over UA? 

Don't remember when he actually signed with AU. I did go to see him play against Oregon (not sure about the team but they had dark green uniforms) I think. My Dad had season tickets and I went with him. I just remember that he was moving a lot faster than everyone else and I knew he was going to be special.

Fear the Thumb reached EPIC proportions? 

Raising a family with my wife in Columbus, Georgia.

Watching the game at home with my youngest son. He said I kept saying "not like this, not like this" when Bama attempted the field goal. I was remembering the terrible day of the Van Tiffin kick to beat us. Then I was saying "can it be, can it be" during the run back and then we were all screaming and shouting. He still comes over every game day and we watch together. Sometimes my wife just leaves the house.

Watching at home and celebrating with my family.

Where I was when...

17-16 rocked the world? 

I was in my onesie (I assume) at my grandmother's, in B'ham, as I was roughly 10 months old (hence my screen name).  Mom & Dad were at Legion Field. 

Didn't follow recruiting as I didn't really understand the concept at 9-10 yrs old and my Dad, though he loves AU, he wasn't into recruiting.  I do remember though...being at my cousins' house in Gaylesville, AL, close to the beginning of the season I believe (I think it was '82) and remember the news of an Auburn running back passing away either over the summer or early in Fall camp.  The name escapes me but IIRC he was Bo's primary competition for the position. 

I was a bit luke warm early in '13, after the '12 debacle, but I remember being at the Hunsader Farms Pumpkin Festival near Bradenton, FL, with our (then) 4-1/2 year old girls during the first half of the Texas A&M game but kept checking the ESPN gamecast on my phone.  Got home late in the 3rd qtr, watched Auburn "find themselves" and I was totally locked in the rest of the season.  Matter of fact, I think it was after that game that I joined AUFamily because I was sensing something magically unexpected after that game.  As for the "1 second"?  I was planted firmly on my couch on what was probably my 12th or 15th Samuel Adams and texted with my brother the rest of the night.  As he, too, likes fermented hops & barley, I'm not sure either one of us could understand our texts, LOL!

I was still recovering from a major surgery at the time, so nothing more exciting than watching from my couch again.  This time painkillers instead of alcohol, LOL!  I believe I woke my sleeping family up when the kick went through the uprights.  They aren't sports nuts... 

Now where were you when you first knew you were an Auburn fan?

Jordan-Hare Stadium watching Joe Cribbs through a magical device that made the players look so close (binoculars LOL!) when I was 5 or 6.  That day, I knew that football was awesome and Auburn was my team.  Side note: I was taken to the '76 thUga game at 4 yrs old and the only thing I remember was playing in the dirt after the game (Auburn got crushed) when some leg-humpers walked by trashing me and saying something like "bet you wish you were a Georgia fan".  That's when I knew I hated the dawgs and, living in Georgia most my life, there were plenty other situations over the years that solidified that position.

Favorite game?

1986 IB - Lawyer's Reverse.  Watching at home with my family and relatives on Thanksgiving weekend at 14 years old?  Best time of my life.

17-16 my buddy and I griped all the way from Auburn to Birmingham because we got end zone seats. Then everything important that happened in that game was right in our laps. First a blocked bammer extra point. Then both blocked punts, the runbacks and Gardner Jet's kicks. The president of Auburn University couldn't have ordered better seats than we had!

8 hours ago, CodeRocket said:

17-16 rocked the world? 

Listening to the game on the radio in my room. It was my first quarter enrolled in pre-engineering at AU after completing a tour of duty in South Vietnam in March of that same year. I needed to study hard and clear my head. I did both and graduated with a BSME in December 1975. I recorded the game on cassette tape that day and for a while everyone I knew wanted to borrow the tape and make a copy. 

Thank you so much for your service.  I tell my young students that many would not discuss Vietnam when they returned.  Hear me sincerely when I say your time is recognized, valued, and still awe-inspiring.  And as for cassette tapes...priceless.  Guilty of recording songs off the radio for years and buying stock in Ampex to do it...LOL!

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

17-16 my buddy and I griped all the way from Auburn to Birmingham because we got end zone seats. Then everything important that happened in that game was right in our laps. First a blocked bammer extra point. Then both blocked punts, the runbacks and Gardner Jet's kicks. The president of Auburn University couldn't have ordered better seats than we had!

No reactions left, but that is AUsome!  Love those "happy little accidents" that aren't.  Great memory, Mikey!  The next one is for @bigbird, @3rdgen and any others brave enough to do what we do daily.  

Image result for bob ross memeImage result for bob ross meme

8 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Where I was when...

17-16 rocked the world? 

I was in my onesie (I assume) at my grandmother's, in B'ham, as I was roughly 10 months old (hence my screen name).  Mom & Dad were at Legion Field. 

Didn't follow recruiting as I didn't really understand the concept at 9-10 yrs old and my Dad, though he loves AU, he wasn't into recruiting.  I do remember though...being at my cousins' house in Gaylesville, AL, close to the beginning of the season I believe (I think it was '82) and remember the news of an Auburn running back passing away either over the summer or early in Fall camp.  The name escapes me but IIRC he was Bo's primary competition for the position. 

I was a bit luke warm early in '13, after the '12 debacle, but I remember being at the Hunsader Farms Pumpkin Festival near Bradenton, FL, with our (then) 4-1/2 year old girls during the first half of the Texas A&M game but kept checking the ESPN gamecast on my phone.  Got home late in the 3rd qtr, watched Auburn "find themselves" and I was totally locked in the rest of the season.  Matter of fact, I think it was after that game that I joined AUFamily because I was sensing something magically unexpected after that game.  As for the "1 second"?  I was planted firmly on my couch on what was probably my 12th or 15th Samuel Adams and texted with my brother the rest of the night.  As he, too, likes fermented hops & barley, I'm not sure either one of us could understand our texts, LOL!

I was still recovering from a major surgery at the time, so nothing more exciting than watching from my couch again.  This time painkillers instead of alcohol, LOL!  I believe I woke my sleeping family up when the kick went through the uprights.  They aren't sports nuts... 

Now where were you when you first knew you were an Auburn fan?

Jordan-Hare Stadium watching Joe Cribbs through a magical device that made the players look so close (binoculars LOL!) when I was 5 or 6.  That day, I knew that football was awesome and Auburn was my team.  Side note: I was taken to the '76 thUga game at 4 yrs old and the only thing I remember was playing in the dirt after the game (Auburn got crushed) when some leg-humpers walked by trashing me and saying something like "bet you wish you were a Georgia fan".  That's when I knew I hated the dawgs and, living in Georgia most my life, there were plenty other situations over the years that solidified that position.

Favorite game?

1986 IB - Lawyer's Reverse.  Watching at home with my family and relatives on Thanksgiving weekend at 14 years old?  Best time of my life.

It's a bit early in the day for being out of reactions, but the "mathematical like formula" knows.  Great memories, '72--thanks for sharing!

17-16 rocked the world?

I was a kid listening to Gary Sanders and Gusty Yearout calling the game on the radio. When the second kick was blocked, my dad (God rest his soul) started beating his hand on the couch so hard that my mom rushed into the room and told him to stop that he was killing her furniture! When the game ended, I sprinted around the block to rub it into the faces of two of my friends who were bammers!

I was a senior in college and probably did not realize the significance of this commitment from the shy kid from McAdory HS in Bessemer. Bo was simply the best athlete not just in Auburn history, but in all history.

These were the days when my kids were younger and life was so good. My fondest memory was being present at the last Iron Bowl that Brandon Cox played in and watching him hold up his fingers after the final snap signifying the number of victories in a row over the evil empire!

I wanted to see Auburn win a National Championship in my lifetime so bad and on this day in January 2011, I had my opportunity. When Mike all of a sudden got up and started running again, I almost lost it! He was never down and was so smart to realize it and continue the play. I got my wish... The Auburn Tigers were the Champions of College Football and I could now die a happy man!

Now where were you?

I am now retired and living a good life with my wife of 30+ years. Both of my kids are AU graduates and are enjoying their lives. By the way, not being greedy but I do want to see another Natty in my lifetime, whatever time I have left!

War Eagle everyone!

:wareagle:

13 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

1993-AUdacity

1994-AUthentic

1998-AUful

I couldn’t find the list, thanks. 98 was Brother Bill interim?

17-16 rocked the world? 

Unborn

1982? I was...8 years old and had no idea who or what Bo Jackson & Auburn University were. I grew up in eastern Ohio

2006? Living in Auburn and preparing for my senior year after getting back in school following a few year hiatus (dropped out). I didn't go to the game. We gathered at a fellow dropout/back in school friend's apartment

Watching from my living room in the heart of Big 10 country

Couldn't afford tickets to the game, so I was at a bar in sight of the stadium in Phoenix

17-16, sitting in the Alabama student section. Right before the second blocked punt for a touchdown I turned to my friend and said watch them do it again. Then it was almost like watching an instant replay and the half of the field we were in pretty much was silent and the other half was going wild and orange and blue was flying everywhere. 

3 hours ago, api1957 said:

I couldn’t find the list, thanks. 98 was Brother Bill interim?

AUful wasn't official...I just remember saying that during the 98 season...

56 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

AUful wasn't official...I just remember saying that during the 98 season...

I know. But the first 2 sound right. Sadly I had some of those shirts.

Archived