Back In Time--Where Were You When...? 🤔

ToraGirl

21 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

Bo Jackson chose AU over UA?

Was there really a big reaction when this happened? I thought Bo wasn't thought of as a big-time recruit. Plus all we had back then were newspapers and the local TV sports news. I don't ever recall reading/hearing about any recruits in the early 80s via those outlets.

I do recall where I was when Cadillac committed. Was on my lunch break driving, listening to JOX. There was great anticipation over his commitment...the biggest I can ever recall to that point over any player Auburn was pursuing. I wanna say it was Scott Moore on JOX. He said very sarcastically, "For you Auburn fans, some guy named Cadillac just committed to Auburn." I went apesht in my car overjoyed & screaming "Some guy??? Really??? You moron!" I said right then, "We're about reel off at least 4 straight on bammer."

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

Where I was when...

17-16 rocked the world? 

Prolly in a playpen. My dad recalls a TV being launched through a window next door. Apparently it got the best of a bammer.

In Junior High.

The Monday morning after Bo went over the top?

Hearing *crickets* from every single classmate in Junior High. Most beautiful silence ever.

Fear the Thumb reached EPIC proportions? 

Hearing *crickets* from my bammer buds.

2010 Iron Bowl

Running around my living room going apesht. I had told my wife at halftime it was over. Most incredible thing I've ever seen. I recall I could not get a single text to go through to anyone for at least 30 mins after the game...the cell service everywhere was that jammed. Called a good friend a couple of hours later, who was at the game. He said he kept telling his brother throughout the 1st Half "We're gonna win and this place is gonna be silent." He said that giant stadium was so quiet walking out.

Michael Dyer never went down, despite the DayGlo rumblings (Duck drivel)?

Watching in my living room with my son, praying the refs wouldn't take that run away. When Byrum's kick went through, high-fived and hugged my son. We had played in the snow all day. Didn't go to sleep until 5 or 6AM...wanted to savor that moment as long as possible. Great memories.

One 2013 second changed it all?

Running around my living room going apesht. Called a good friend immediately. We exchanged many loud and hearty "War Damn Eagles" and I could barely hear him as he was watching with a ton of Auburn fans. Then called my son. He had lost faith in us after the past two seasons. I said "I told ya we'd win!" He kept saying "I can't believe it!"

On the prayer of Jordan Hare, I’ll have to admit me and my daughter we’re headed down from the upper box because we had a long drive back home that night. I was so angry the refs gave uga that td that wasn’t. He was a good two yards short . I thought we had been robbed again so as we get to the bottom floor we stopped to watch the last play on the tv monitor near the concession when Nick threw the pass and the crowd went wild. 😂 I get ill when folks talk about luck. Luck was the refs trying to give uga the game on the non td. 

17-16: Twelve years old.  Listening on the old console radio on the den at home.  When Shug decided to kick the field goal with 9 minutes to cut the lead to 16-3; I was livid.  It seemed like a give up play.  We hadn't been in Bama territory the whole game and all we were going to get was 3 points when we needed TD's?  Oh well, then the miracle happened.  When Gary Sanders called that 2nd blocked kick; my Mom just about ran me off.  I had never screamed that loud in my life and just went wild running thru the house.  We grew up in a very small place; only 3 Auburn families in the entire community of about 1500 people.  In years when Bama would win; tide boxes would appear on our driveway from the local Turd community...which was odd since we always just kept a low profile and never made an issue of the game.  But that afternoon I got the Auburn banner out of my room and Dad helped me hang it on the front porch when he got home from work.  I left it up for 2 weeks.  It was sweet revenge...that was some game and some team.    

Bo chooses AU: I was on the USS Iwo Jima oblivious to who Bo was or where he signed.  We got the San Diego Tribune on the ship when I had time to read it (maybe one day a week at that time; operational tempo was pretty hi).  To even find an Auburn score you had to look in the detailed box score in the back of the sports page.  Lots of info on San Diego State.  

Fear the Thumb: Didn't get to see the game...was living in Singapore.  No games carried in Singapore (or all of Asia for that matter); + the time zone of an afternoon game wasn't favorable to listening on the internet (2-5 AM in Asia).    

2010 National Championship game: I was there.  After the game; a bunch of old farts like me moved from all over the stadium from their seats to down in front of the ESPN GameDay crew and watched and listened to them do all the post game talking.   Probably a couple thousand folks moved down there.  We all spoke to each other about how remarkeable the moment was; none of us had been alive when AU won the '57 Championship and wondered if it would ever happen.  No one wanted to leave the stadium.  We all sat there until they ran us out of the stadium.  

2013:  I was there.  A lot of the family was out there; so we had an amazing tailgate  before (and after) the game.  The weather that day was amazing and it surprised me that the stadium is in the middle of this amazing neighborhood/community.  Very nice people.  The stadium is a dump; hard to get in and out of.  Poor concessions.  Nothing really to see in the stadium.   Of course the game was amazing for 59 minutes...I remember singing "it's great to be ... " in the portal leaving the stadium and the FSU fans looked at us like we had 3 heads.  

17-16 rocked the world? 

A fetus. Was born the next year.

8 year old growing up in Zachary, Louisiana. Actually grew up an LSU fan. Didn't know much about Auburn at the time, just knew I hated Alabama.

Had long since graduated and was living in Newnan, GA.

Watching at home, still in Newnan, trying to keep the kids away from me while their mother (nurse) was at work.

Maddeningly, I didn't get to watch this game. I was keeping up with the ESPN gamecast on my phone while driving from the Milwaukee airport to my home in Appleton, WI. Pulling my hair out with every update. Then, suddenly, with one second left and Bama somewhat in field goal range (I knew their kicker had a good leg), there's no update to the gamecast for at least five minutes. I have no idea what's going on and am losing my mind. I'm thinking there's a problem with ESPN's website. Finally, when I'm about 10 minutes from home, the score updates to 34-28 as the final. I have no idea how it happened but am going nuts. Get home 10 minutes later, turn on the TV and see all the highlights. Would have been ticked that I missed sharing that moment with Auburn fans everywhere (as well as the rest of America, who, let's face it, also hate Bama), but was too ecstatic to care.

Now where were you?

Still in Appleton. Way too many kids running around and starting to feel my age, but have a good life and am thankful I have this board to share with other Auburn fans.

On 11/1/2019 at 7:15 PM, api1957 said:

You forgot the 1993 AUsome season.

Yep. There was a big jump there.

Here's where I was in 1993....

1993.jpg

5 minutes ago, Leftfield said:

17-16 rocked the world? 

A fetus. Was born the next year.

8 year old growing up in Zachary, Louisiana. Actually grew up an LSU fan. Didn't know much about Auburn at the time, just knew I hated Alabama.

Had long since graduated and was living in Newnan, GA.

Watching at home, still in Newnan, trying to keep the kids away from me while their mother (nurse) was at work.

Maddeningly, I didn't get to watch this game. I was keeping up with the ESPN gamecast on my phone while driving from the Milwaukee airport to my home in Appleton, WI. Pulling my hair out with every update. Then, suddenly, with one second left and Bama somewhat in field goal range (I knew their kicker had a good leg), there's no update to the gamecast for at least five minutes. I have no idea what's going on and am losing my mind. I'm thinking there's a problem with ESPN's website. Finally, when I'm about 10 minutes from home, the score updates to 34-28 as the final. I have no idea how it happened but am going nuts. Get home 10 minutes later, turn on the TV and see all the highlights. Would have been ticked that I missed sharing that moment with Auburn fans everywhere (as well as the rest of America, who, let's face it, also hate Bama), but was too ecstatic to care.

Now where were you?

Still in Appleton. Way too many kids running around and starting to feel my age, but have a good life and am thankful I have this board to share with other Auburn fans.

Out of reactions, but great memories, and thank you for sharing, Leftfield! You and your wife sound a lot like us...tag team to keep it all running over the years.  Bet you have had some gorgeous fall colors where you are. Door County, WI is on my bucket list. 🙂

9 minutes ago, Leftfield said:

Yep. There was a big jump there.

Here's where I was in 1993....

1993.jpg

MAN, that's impressive.  Note: I have a copy of that ITAT somewhere!

Here's us during that season.  Just pretend the little girl is my little brother.....oh and we were a bit older. LOLOLOL!

radio-post.jpg

2 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

Out of reactions, but great memories, and thank you for sharing, Leftfield! You and your wife sound a lot like us...tag team to keep it all running over the years.  Bet you have had some gorgeous fall colors where you are. Door County, WI is on my bucket list. 🙂

Thanks, ToraGirl! Hope you make it to Door County. Wisconsin in late spring and summer is really, really nice, and it's neat to actually have fall colors, as opposed to the green-to-brown that I grew up with (I did live in Green Bay during high school, but went straight to Auburn when I graduated). Can't say I recommend Door County in winter, though. You do get used to the cold, but it's much harder to get used to how little daylight there is (gets dark a little after 4 PM when it's close to the solstice).

Archived