LSU: Not the reaction I expected

CleCoTiger

Late to the discussion but prior to last weekend’s game in Baton Rouge I noted quite a few people on the boards saying some version of “It’s not if our Tigers lose, it’s how they look in doing it. Do they get blown out? Do they quit? Or do they play hard all the way and have a chance at the end?”

Well folks, our Tigers did not get blown out. On the road against one of the top five teams in the land they did not quit. They kept it close. And in the end,  our Tigers still had a chance. (Wish that onside kick had turned out differently. Still probably would have lost, but man…what kind of finish would that have been?)

Listen, I know there is a very vocal subset of fans here that loves AU every bit as much as me or anyone. That subset misses no chance to criticize the HC.  I like the GROG acronym.  (You guys oughta get T-shirts.) But…these AU Tigers have lost two games **on the road** to what looks like two legit top ten teams. And while Nix and the offense have struggled, our Tigers have still had a chance.

It may just be me getting older but ya know, if the only seasons I can enjoy as an AU fan are the ones where we see our Tigers in the SEC Championship and/or in the hunt for the CFP, it strikes me that there are not likely to be that many seasons for me to enjoy.  But I don’t look at it that way.

For now. and I emphasize for now, Gus is the coach, Bo Nix is the true frosh QB and it is what it is. Will change happen? Heck if I know. Does my opinion have any bearing on whether or not change happens? I seriously doubt it.

I encourage everyone to support our Tigers, to be a fan, and to enjoy the game for what it is even if the outcomes are not always in the “W” column. These Tigers play hard. There is a lot of ball left. What will be will be.

Now…beat Ole Miss!

War Damn Eagle!!!

On edit...

For the record, I'd have played Joey Gatewood a good deal more at UF and LSU.  I think everyone pretty much wanted Bo Nix as starter but when the starter isn't getting it done, you gotta roll the dice. In addition, I play DJ Williams, Shaun Shivers and probably Harold Joiner more at the RB position.  In fact, Boobie or no Boobie, I'm not sure that Shaun "Worm" Shivers isn't my starter.  Things are not perfect. But the foundation isn't crumbling either.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You do realize that without two idiotic days of offensive play calling/game planning, we would be that #1 team, right?  That's why people are mad.  We see what easily could have been right now had our HC simply been average on his side of the ball during those two games.  Not asking for spectacular from him.  Just two average games from the offense, which is his supposed expertise.  Do that and we're 8-0 and very likely the #1 team in the land.

2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

You do realize that without two idiotic days of offensive play calling/game planning, we would be that #1 team, right?  

Actually, I don't realize that. I could hope for it but with a true frosh QB, I sure as heck don't realize it.  And I continue to take exception to claims like "idiotic play calling."  As I've said before. the only definition of "idiotic play calling" seems to be "plays that did not work."  When those same plays work, they're genius. :)

I'm not trying to debate the GROG crowd.  You guys are as entitled to your opinion as anyone. Heck. come season's end, I might buy a GROG T-shirt myself. But here's the thing...

While a great many criticize the "lack of sophistication" in the passing game, seems to me that AU has receivers open (and I mean pretty much wide open) on just about every play. The coach doesn't get to go in the game to complete those passes.  Nix has some growing up to do.

Anyway, I can't worry about could have or might have been. I'm too determined to just enjoy as much of the rest of the season as I can.

War Eagle!

31 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

You do realize that without two idiotic days of offensive play calling/game planning, we would be that #1 team, right? 

Do you realize that with a different head coach and coaching staff we could be 4-4 right now and nobody would be at all surprised?

4 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

Actually, I don't realize that. I could hope for it but with a true frosh QB, I sure as heck don't realize it.  And I continue to take exception to claims like "idiotic play calling."  As I've said before. the only definition of "idiotic play calling" seems to be "plays that did not work."  When those same plays work, they're genius. :)

I'm not trying to debate the GROG crowd.  You guys are as entitled to your opinion as anyone. Heck. come season's end, I might buy a GROG T-shirt myself. But here's the thing...

While a great many criticize the "lack of sophistication" in the passing game, seems to me that AU has receivers open (and I mean pretty much wide open) on just about every play. The coach doesn't get to go in the game to complete those passes.  Nix has some growing up to do.

Anyway, I can't worry about could have or might have been. I'm too determined to just enjoy as much of the rest of the season as I can.

War Eagle!

Seems to me you don't go to many games if you think our receivers are wide open all the time.  I sat in the stands at Oregon and Florida.  They were smothered most of the game both times, mostly because we only send 2-3 guys in limited route trees.  Couple that with the lack of a consistent run game due to an outmatched o-line and wahlah, you get bad offensive outputs.

I also feel like you're completely forgetting the thin gs that happened in our losses.  At UF, we forced four fumbles and twice started on the UF side of the field.  Settled for field goals.  Then, after hitting a huge play down the field to Seth, we called three of the dumbest plays inside the 10 that you'll ever see.  Quick screen to the short side, pass, INT, despite the fact that the run game was starting to work earlier in the drive.

During  the LSU game it was the same thing.  Big run play setting us up inside the 10.  Three plays call that made no sense later, we're kicking a FG.

End of the day, it's time to stop making excuses.  Gus is in charge of the offense.  Gus recruited every player.  And it's the offense that has held this team back from a championship season.  That's on him.  No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

I don't take this stuff nearly as seriously as I used to, but there's enough evidence out there to show me that this is who he is in big games.  He'll blow out Ole Miss tomorrow, but whooptee doo, so does everyone else with a pulse.  It's time to take that next step and beat the big boys more consistently.  Not every time mind you.  But asking to go .500 every year against Bama, UGA, LSU, and UF or a big non-conference opponent isn't asking much when you recruit like we do and throw resources into the program like we do.  By the way, Gus is:

2-4 vs Bama (excusable considering the run Bama is on)

2-5 vs UGA (not excusable considering we had the better team in 2016 and arguably 2014...not to mention the 4th quarter collapse in the 2017 title game)

2-5 vs LSU (with two of those losses being blown double digit 2nd half leads)

Just now, Mikey said:

Do you realize that with a different head coach and coaching staff we could be 4-4 right now and nobody would be at all surprised?

Or we could be 8-0 with a different coach and staff and nobody would be at all surprised.

2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Or we could be 8-0 with a different coach and staff and nobody would be at all surprised.

Everybody would be surprised. Going into Gainesville and Baton Rouge with a freshman QB and winning both games would shock the college football world.

1 hour ago, CleCoTiger said:

Late to the discussion but prior to last weekend’s game in Baton Rouge I noted quite a few people on the boards saying some version of “It’s not if our Tigers lose, it’s how they look in doing it. Do they get blown out? Do they quit? Or do they play hard all the way and have a chance at the end?”

Well folks, our Tigers did not get blown out. On the road against one of the top five teams in the land they did not quit. They kept it close. And in the end,  our Tigers still had a chance. (Wish that onside kick had turned out differently. Still probably would have lost, but man…what kind of finish would that have been?)

Listen, I know there is a very vocal subset of fans here that loves AU every bit as much as me or anyone. That subset misses no chance to criticize the HC.  I like the GROG acronym.  (You guys oughta get T-shirts.) But…these AU Tigers have lost two games **on the road** to what looks like two legit top ten teams. And while Nix and the offense have struggled, our Tigers have still had a chance.

It may just be me getting older but ya know, if the only seasons I can enjoy as an AU fan are the ones where we see our Tigers in the SEC Championship and/or in the hunt for the CFP, it strikes me that there are not likely to be that many seasons for me to enjoy.  But I don’t look at it that way.

For now. and I emphasize for now, Gus is the coach, Bo Nix is the true frosh QB and it is what it is. Will change happen? Heck if I know. Does my opinion have any bearing on whether or not change happens? I seriously doubt it.

I encourage everyone to support our Tigers, to be a fan, and to enjoy the game for what it is even if the outcomes are not always in the “W” column. These Tigers play hard. There is a lot of ball left. What will be will be.

Now…beat Ole Miss!

War Damn Eagle!!!

On edit...

For the record, I'd have played Joey Gatewood a good deal more at UF and LSU.  I think everyone pretty much wanted Bo Nix as starter but when the starter isn't getting it done, you gotta roll the dice. In addition, I play DJ Williams, Shaun Shivers and probably Harold Joiner more at the RB position.  In fact, Boobie or no Boobie, I'm not sure that Shaun "Worm" Shivers isn't my starter.  Things are not perfect. But the foundation isn't crumbling either.

People are gonna complain and that's just how it is.... it doesn't mean they aren't 100% for the team.

I can't stand that we lost two games so far, and I lament the fact that we've bought an OC to be our HC... yet it's our offense that's been the problem. But I'm still rooting for Auburn every game, it's a weird stance to be in for sure, to dislike what Gus is/has done but still root and hope for a change and/or resurgence to the awesome glory days he had.

5 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Everybody would be surprised. Going into Gainesville and Baton Rouge with a freshman QB and winning both games would shock the college football world.

Um, a freshman QB won the national title last year after usurping the job from a guy that led his team to the playoffs the previous season.  Two years ago, a freshman QB brought his team back in the national title game to beat a team QB'd by....wait for it....a freshman.

Freshmen QBs winning aren't as shocking as it used to be there pal.  Try again.

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

How would we have shocked the world when we were a 2.5 point favorite to beat Florida in their own stadium?

LSU was a 10.5 point favorite against us in their stadium and they would’ve been less than a TD favorite if we had beaten Florida like we were fully capable of doing. If we beat LSU as a less than a TD underdog, how is that shocking the world?

32 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Seems to me you don't go to many games if you think our receivers are wide open all the time.  I sat in the stands at Oregon and Florida.  They were smothered most of the game both times, mostly because we only send 2-3 guys in limited route trees.  Couple that with the lack of a consistent run game due to an outmatched o-line and wahlah, you get bad offensive outputs.

I also feel like you're completely forgetting the thin gs that happened in our losses.  At UF, we forced four fumbles and twice started on the UF side of the field.  Settled for field goals.  Then, after hitting a huge play down the field to Seth, we called three of the dumbest plays inside the 10 that you'll ever see.  Quick screen to the short side, pass, INT, despite the fact that the run game was starting to work earlier in the drive.

During  the LSU game it was the same thing.  Big run play setting us up inside the 10.  Three plays call that made no sense later, we're kicking a FG.

I'm not saying Gus doesn't call dumb plays because I can think of a couple this year off the top of my head with ease. I'm trying to figure out the "dumb" plays at UF you're talking about. After the long pass to Seth (which I'm pretty sure was called by Gus also just not perfectly executed or it would've been a touchdown) I seem to recall that those "dumb" plays you mentioned were called correctly but not executed correctly. Gus called the slant (which would've yielded a TD also) and Bo missed it badly. Next play I'm pretty sure Gus did not call a pass to the UF guy in the endzone because if he did that would be dumb. I think that one was all on freshman Bo.

At LSU I do recall some dumb plays but I also recall several good calls that were also badly executed. One was a slant to Flash from inside our 5 that might have gone all the way but for sure would've gotten us out of trouble and a first down. Bo missed that wide open one by about 3 feet behind and short. Again, right call, wrong execution. There were several more during that game that were right calls but bad execution by a freshman QB. JJ Wilson crossing wide open and Bo overthrows him by a few feet. First down, no punt instead. Canella crossing on a third and long, open, throw was behind. Good call again, bad execution. Again, punt. This is somewhat expected when you have a freshman QB.

Those great freshman QBs you mentioned, those are exceptions not the norm. That's why most coaches opt to play the older more experienced guy rather than deal with the roller coaster ride you get with most freshman. Not blaming the freshman QB, definitely not blaming Bo. I think he's going to be a good one, just going to have to get more experience first and take a few more lumps to get there probably.

Hey, I'm not saying Gus doesn't deserve some blame. There are a lot of things you can pin on him. Bad O-line recruiting which is hurting us now, that's on him. Dumb wildcat play calls at midfield with a less than healthy running back, way dumb especially when you have a healthy Cam-sized QB that can run sitting on the sideline. Speaking of that, not giving Gatewood a chance to run a series at Florida and/or LSU, unfathomable. I could go on but the bottom line is, like CleCo said, if those called plays are executed correctly, we're most likely 8-0 and everyone is saying what a genius we have for a coach. His job is to put players in a position to be successful and I think he's done that more than he hasn't. Has he done some bone-head stuff also, you bet.

Funny how at the start of the season a lot of folks were saying they'd be surprised if we win 9 games this year with the schedule we had. Now some of those same folks are pissed that we might (only) win 9 games this year. You gotta smile about that one.

Hey, I think we have as good a chance of going 4-0 or 3-1 the rest of the way as we do of going 2-2. Don't think we do worse than that though. It is what it is and will be. Doesn't mean I'm happy with losing 2, 3 or 4 games a year. Heck no, I expect us to get our share of championships and I think we're overdue for getting in the CFP. Can we get there with Gus, don't know, I sure hope so but if not someone else will replace him at some point. That will happen regardless of what I and/or most of the folks on here think or say. Again, like CleCo, I'm going to sit back and enjoy the ride bumps and all.

17 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Um, a freshman QB won the national title last year after usurping the job from a guy that led his team to the playoffs the previous season.  Two years ago, a freshman QB brought his team back in the national title game to beat a team QB'd by....wait for it....a freshman.

An outlier or two does not make for prima facie evidence, or evidence at all.  OSU with Cardale Jones, a backup, beat the odds too. And so have other schools.  Hell, in the NFL the unbeaten 1972 Miami Dolphins were quarterbacked for most of the season not by the great Bob Griese but by Earl Morrall, claimed off of waivers for 100 bucks by the Dolphins in April of that year.  Do you think that makes an argument that the path to an unbeaten season and a Super Bowl championship is to claim a has been off of waivers and get your starter injured?

2 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Ya, half those guys were playing behind the type of offensive line that made people think Trent Richardson was a Top 3 Draft pick lol.

I just wanted to get a Trent Richardson shot in to be honest.

4 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

Well folks, our Tigers did not get blown out. On the road against one of the top five teams in the land they did not quit. They kept it close.

Rankings mean nothing. If you watched both games, Auburn clearly had better athletes than LSU and Florida. We should be 8-0. Just because Gus Malzahn tends to use his opponent's rankings as an excuse for losses doesn't mean we should.

With each passing day it gets more frustrating. Anthony Schwartz got the ball 1 time at Florida. ONE. ONE TIME. This insanity is so unfair to the players and fans. Gus has to go.

4 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

End of the day, it's time to stop making excuses.  Gus is in charge of the offense.  Gus recruited every player.  And it's the offense that has held this team back from a championship season.  That's on him.  No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

There is a group of fans that just don't get this. They are horseshoe and hand grenade fans who think close is good enough if it's a top 10 team. The defensive players and coaches are putting a product on the field each week that can win a championship. The offensive players don't have that luxury because the HC and play caller is so stubborn he'd rather be right than do right. A HC should expect the absolute best from his team every game. Why is it so hard to for some people to grasp that the team has a right to expect better things from their coach. He's in charge of preparation AND execution. Failure to execute once or twice is a player issue but game after game it's a coaching issue. 

6 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

You do realize that without two idiotic days of offensive play calling/game planning, we would be that #1 team, right?  That's why people are mad.  We see what easily could have been right now had our HC simply been average on his side of the ball during those two games.  Not asking for spectacular from him.  Just two average games from the offense, which is his supposed expertise.  Do that and we're 8-0 and very likely the #1 team in the land.

You do realize that's just one point of view right? Another is that Bo missed plays to Seth et al that Malzahn handed him. Plays that Bo will (with maturity) make in those, the hardest venues to play in college football. After a week of reading "why people are mad" it's more apparent than ever it's been the children's hour on this board.

8 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Thing is, Brad, I do believe that's his "average"against teams that have a pulse.That is what he has shown for 7 years, at least.

How long is the freshman QB excuse gonna be used?

when a coaching staff is not doing their job they trot out this excuse and others.

Next year it’s going to be he’s just a sophomore Qb he’s still basically a freshman!

These threads invite argument and controversy, which I don’t mind at all since its a message board...but then some of yall same folks will get on here later and complain about arguing and controversy. We have our views(Gus is an idiot) and you have yours(Gus is Vince Lombardi) and lets leave it there. This thread is just designed to call out people who want more from pur program than making excuses for bone headed offense. Thats all. 

4 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

How long is the freshman QB excuse gonna be used?

when a coaching staff is not doing their job they trot out this excuse and others.

Next year it’s going to be he’s just a sophomore Qb he’s still basically a freshman!

No next year it will be a new offensive line oh and the schedule because every year they use the schedule 

5 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Rankings mean nothing. If you watched both games, Auburn clearly had better athletes than LSU and Florida. We should be 8-0. Just because Gus Malzahn tends to use his opponent's rankings as an excuse for losses doesn't mean we should.

With each passing day it gets more frustrating. Anthony Schwartz got the ball 1 time at Florida. ONE. ONE TIME. This insanity is so unfair to the players and fans. Gus has to go.

You think we have better athletes than LSU?    Fla no doubt we did, I think that was just one of those Saturday’s that was gonna be very difficult to win because of the atmosphere.   

8 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

War Eagle!

Agreed on enjoying the rest of the season. And Bo does have a lot to work on. A lot of the offensive ineffectiveness were seeing is due to a very non-SEC quality o line. They have been disappointing now for 2 years. 

2 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

You do realize that's just one point of view right? Another is that Bo missed plays to Seth et al that Malzahn handed him. Plays that Bo will (with maturity) make in those, the hardest venues to play in college football. After a week of reading "why people are mad" it's more apparent than ever it's been the children's hour on this board.

Did you watch the UF game?  We were running the ball at will late 3rd/early-mid 4th.  Boobee was ripping off 6+ yards a carry.  So what does Gus then try to do?  Throw, throw, throw.  Man, I like passing, especially the mid range passing game.  But you go with what's working until someone stops it.  UF was not stopping the run in the 2nd half.  At one point, Boobee had five straight carries across two drives where he picked up no less than 6 yards.  If you're RB is doing that, keep feeding him.

It's on the HC/OC to see that.  And using that run game sure takes a lot of pressure off a young QB.

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

Totally disagree. We can look at how good both UF and LSU are at this point in the season and agree they are both top 10, but it wasn't long ago at all that they were being drummed by powerhouse teams like oh lets see Troy, Missouri, Moo State, Texas A&M. So for a team as loaded as AU to beat either of them would not be "shocking". 

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

Saying incredibly dumb, inaccurate things over and over doesn't make them any less dumb or inaccurate. Fyi

Archived