LSU: Not the reaction I expected

CleCoTiger

49 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

These threads invite argument and controversy, which I don’t mind at all since its a message board...but then some of yall same folks will get on here later and complain about arguing and controversy. We have our views(Gus is an idiot) and you have yours(Gus is Vince Lombardi) and lets leave it there. This thread is just designed to call out people who want more from pur program than making excuses for bone headed offense. Thats all. 

Then there’s the majority.

Is Gus an idiot? No. We’ve been to the natty with Gus at the helm and to the SEC CG. Is Gus Vince Lombardi? Absolutely not. AU has been in the upper 25 for almost all of his tenure. He has his flaws and is turning out to not be what we thought we were getting but this doesn’t make him an idiot!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, drsteve87 said:

Then there’s the majority.

Is Gus an idiot? No. We’ve been to the natty with Gus at the helm and to the SEC CG. Is Gus Vince Lombardi? Absolutely not. AU has been in the upper 25 for almost all of his tenure. He has his flaws and is turning out to not be what we thought we were getting but this doesn’t make him an idiot!

its called sarcasm and hyperbole 

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

Everybody would be surprised. Going into Gainesville and Baton Rouge with a freshman QB and winning both games would shock the college football world.

Frankly, given the tradition, fan base and resources available to an Auburn HC, I’m ready to move past shocking the world when we win big games.  

1 minute ago, 1auburn1 said:

Frankly, given the tradition, fan base and resources available to an Auburn HC, I’m ready to move past shocking the world when we win big games.  

Winning both of those games this year would have been shocking. The consensus pre season prediction for this team was 8-4. That didn't include wins at either place.

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Winning both of those games this year would have been shocking. The consensus pre season prediction for this team was 8-4. That didn't include wins at either place.

Um, we were the betting favorite in the UF game.  The country expected us to win that game.  Nothing shocking there.

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

Yep.  Which is sad in the 7th year for a HC with a senior studded team.  

2 minutes ago, 1auburn1 said:

Yep.  Which is sad in the 7th year for a HC with a senior studded team.  

Up there is a SAD emoticon for your use.

30 minutes ago, Mikey said:

What does that have to do with our defense putting our offense squarely in position to win both games?  Who cares what was predicted preseason.

From reading this thread I think I have it figured out...what Auburn should do is hire the best coach in the country and get the best players in the country and then have the best team in the country. If we do that and no other team figures out what we know then we will be the best team every year!!!!!!   (Sarcasm) Some people seem to think it is that easy.

53 minutes ago, Grumps said:

From reading this thread I think I have it figured out...what Auburn should do is hire the best coach in the country and get the best players in the country and then have the best team in the country. If we do that and no other team figures out what we know then we will be the best team every year!!!!!!   (Sarcasm) Some people seem to think it is that easy.

Literally no one is asking for that. No one. Just an offense that doesn’t look like a pee wee team in big games and that will stop wasting a championship defense. 

• WarTiger changed the title to LSU: Not the reaction I expected
2 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Did you watch the UF game?  We were running the ball at will late 3rd/early-mid 4th.  Boobee was ripping off 6+ yards a carry.  So what does Gus then try to do?  Throw, throw, throw.  Man, I like passing, especially the mid range passing game.  But you go with what's working until someone stops it.  UF was not stopping the run in the 2nd half.  At one point, Boobee had five straight carries across two drives where he picked up no less than 6 yards.  If you're RB is doing that, keep feeding him.

It's on the HC/OC to see that.  And using that run game sure takes a lot of pressure off a young QB.

Yep, or like against LSU, Shivers having success getting to the corner, 3-4 plays then poof, disappears.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

That consensus was because everybody understands Malzahn's limitations and knows he would not elevate Auburn to beat the good teams in the conference. It is amazing that all of the Malzahn fans defend Malzahn by saying we shouldn't be disappointed because we already knew we couldn't beat those good teams anyway. Somehow that is a defense and not a reason for criticism. 

Next year before the season starts everybody will talk about Malzahn's personality change in the fall and how he sounds more relaxed. Some other kid will be a superstar in practice that we better watch out for. Then at the end of the year year when we finish 8-4 or 7-5 again and Nix looks no better and the new offensive line is awful, those will be the excuses for why it is okay to have another mediocre season and in some way this will still amazingly not be Malzahn's fault. Lather, rinse, and repeat.

39 minutes ago, nurbis said:

That consensus was because everybody understands Malzahn's limitations and knows he would not elevate Auburn to beat the good teams in the conference. It is amazing that all of the Malzahn fans defend Malzahn by saying we shouldn't be disappointed because we already knew we couldn't beat those good teams anyway. Somehow that is a defense and not a reason for criticism. 

Next year before the season starts everybody will talk about Malzahn's personality change in the fall and how he sounds more relaxed. Some other kid will be a superstar in practice that we better watch out for. Then at the end of the year year when we finish 8-4 or 7-5 again and Nix looks no better and the new offensive line is awful, those will be the excuses for why it is okay to have another mediocre season and in some way this will still amazingly not be Malzahn's fault. Lather, rinse, and repeat.

This

13 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

Actually, I don't realize that. I could hope for it but with a true frosh QB, I sure as heck don't realize it.  And I continue to take exception to claims like "idiotic play calling."  As I've said before. the only definition of "idiotic play calling" seems to be "plays that did not work."  When those same plays work, they're genius. :)

I'm not trying to debate the GROG crowd.  You guys are as entitled to your opinion as anyone. Heck. come season's end, I might buy a GROG T-shirt myself. But here's the thing...

While a great many criticize the "lack of sophistication" in the passing game, seems to me that AU has receivers open (and I mean pretty much wide open) on just about every play. The coach doesn't get to go in the game to complete those passes.  Nix has some growing up to do.

Anyway, I can't worry about could have or might have been. I'm too determined to just enjoy as much of the rest of the season as I can.

War Eagle!

I have zero clue about Xs & Os in college football as I imagine most on here do so I can’t personally speak to whether or not Gus is calling good plays.  There have been a couple times where I could see a different plays being more appropriate but I just assume Gus is trying to set something up for later.  I listen to auburnsports podcast which are pretty entertaining and it’s been brought up a couple of times that Gus hasnt called terrible games as much as the execution lacking.  I agree that not putting in Joey is on Gus but if Bo hits a couple of the easy throws he’s missed or DJ doesn’t run out of bounds we’re talking about a different season.  Ifs and buts and all that.

I guess we should just stop watching games if preseason expectations are all that's ever going to happen? I'm confused about the thought processes that go on around here sometimes. Kinda like the one that since we're a historically .631 team that's all we should ever expect. No need to break trends and strive for more or get the most out of a teams capabilities. 

5 hours ago, leglessdan said:

I guess we should just stop watching games if preseason expectations are all that's ever going to happen? I'm confused about the thought processes that go on around here sometimes. Kinda like the one that since we're a historically .631 team that's all we should ever expect. No need to break trends and strive for more or get the most out of a teams capabilities. 

Yes, because everyone on here who doesn't feel like griping on every post is satisfied with mediocrity.

On 11/2/2019 at 11:11 AM, Maverick.AU said:

Yep, or like against LSU, Shivers having success getting to the corner, 3-4 plays then poof, disappears.

Right. He was running pissed off. Gets one carry into the line of scrimmage for a two yard gain.. That was his last carry on the day.

And there is this little gem.

Schwartz has 8 touches against Arkansas. A whopping 3 touches against LSU the following week. Getting the ball in the hands of the fastest player in college football only 3 times in the biggest game of the year to that point is the work of a true genius.

On 11/2/2019 at 1:15 AM, Brad_ATX said:

Um, a freshman QB won the national title last year after usurping the job from a guy that led his team to the playoffs the previous season.  Two years ago, a freshman QB brought his team back in the national title game to beat a team QB'd by....wait for it....a freshman.

Freshmen QBs winning aren't as shocking as it used to be there pal.  Try again.

Agreed. Time to stop the talk and excuses that we have a freshman QB. The bottom line is, he has not been good at all. If there is anything anyone should realize at this point in college football, it’s this “4 and 5 stars mean absolutely zilch without coaching and good game plans” and then again the stars still mean nothing unless the player lives up to the billing. Nix may go down as a serviceable QB during his tenure, but I definitely do not see him as a championship QB. I’m not ragging in him at all, as I think he is a decent QB, but I simply do not see him as a QB that will lead AU to an sec championship, much less a national title. I do not blame him completely at all, as I do feel his coach has reached his ceiling. This is AU football with Malzahn running the show. I don’t like it but I won’t leave it. 

On 11/1/2019 at 11:38 PM, CleCoTiger said:

Actually, I don't realize that. I could hope for it but with a true frosh QB, I sure as heck don't realize it.  And I continue to take exception to claims like "idiotic play calling."  As I've said before. the only definition of "idiotic play calling" seems to be "plays that did not work."  When those same plays work, they're genius. :)

I'm not trying to debate the GROG crowd.  You guys are as entitled to your opinion as anyone. Heck. come season's end, I might buy a GROG T-shirt myself. But here's the thing...

While a great many criticize the "lack of sophistication" in the passing game, seems to me that AU has receivers open (and I mean pretty much wide open) on just about every play. The coach doesn't get to go in the game to complete those passes.  Nix has some growing up to do.

Anyway, I can't worry about could have or might have been. I'm too determined to just enjoy as much of the rest of the season as I can.

War Eagle!

God I hope you're not on the BOT...

On 11/2/2019 at 10:27 AM, Brad_ATX said:

Um, we were the betting favorite in the UF game.  The country expected us to win that game.  Nothing shocking there.

Just curious, but do you always bet on the favorite? 

5 minutes ago, GAAubie said:

Just curious, but do you always bet on the favorite? 

Nope.  But that wasn't the point.  The poster argued that it would have been "shocking" had we won at UF with a freshman QB.  My point is that the American public thought otherwise going into the game.

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

Nope.  But that wasn't the point.  The poster argued that it would have been "shocking" had we won at UF with a freshman QB.  My point is that the American public thought otherwise going into the game.

Florida had a backup QB Trask who had just started his 1st game two weeks before against Tennessee and then his 2nd start was against Towson. This revisionist history of portraying Florida as some juggernaut coming into the game versus us is ridiculous. The consensus was that Trask hadn't faced a defense like ours. Also Nix had just had his best game the week before against Miss. State. Florida was still questionable on how good they were because they had the close win over Kentucky. That's why we were actually a slight favorite to win going into the game.

4 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Nope.  But that wasn't the point.  The poster argued that it would have been "shocking" had we won at UF with a freshman QB. My point is that the American public thought otherwise going into the game.

I said it would have been shocking if we had won at both UF and LSU. It would have been.

On 11/2/2019 at 6:28 PM, Grumps said:

Yes, because everyone on here who doesn't feel like griping on every post is satisfied with mediocrity.

Yet here you are. Wde

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

I said it would have been shocking if we had won at both UF and LSU. It would have been.

LOL.  So your argument is that winning a game where we were the betting favorite and higher ranked team + winning a battle of top 10 teams is "shocking"?  Dude, that's asinine.

A shocking win is what K-State did to Oklahoma or Illinois beating Wisconsin.  Both of those highly ranked teams lost to unranked foes that were three touchdown underdogs.

There's nothing out of the ordinary for a team to win games against fellow top 10 teams, even if they are on the road.

Archived