New season new stuff

cole256

21 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Oh ok. Yes this is a reason many times if you're a coach and you have a guy that's super quick the first thing you want to do is make sure this guy is at least respectable shooting the ball because this forces you to have to get up on them to challenge a shot but when you have to get close on a guy like Steph curry or kyrie Irving you are in trouble because they are so fast and they now command the ability to get into the lane at will and score or facilitate and there's nothing you can do about it. 

If you're not that great of a shooter now I can take 3 steps back and have more time and leverage to react to you and beat you to the spot while daring you to shoot. This is why they say Ben Simmons and gianis are a jump shot away from being the best players in the league.

Also you can look at the corner vs. Wr match up to better visualize the concept when they back off vs when they press a wr. When you press a guy and make a mistake the guy you are defending is gone.

I played the 5 so I was always body to body on my guy. 😂

1 hour ago, jared52 said:

I was actually pretty "old" (18 or 19) before I realized how effective things like that were. I was always on the upper end of the athletic pole against my peers. Then when I started playing really good players. There's a guy who played for Tennessee named Terrance woods. The best shooter I've ever played. He won the 3 point contest when he graduated for the NCAA. He's that good. But anyway we were playing and I was a better athlete than he but two of the worst shake ups I've ever received were from him. And he wasn't a super ball handler.....one time because you had to guard him as soon as he crossed half court I was running with him full speed and he just stopped on a dime......it looked like a cartoon the way I kept running and he was just standing there 😂😂😂

The other time I was all up on him and he just jab stepped. Didn't move, didn't dribble, nothing. But it was game point and I was so amped up that I took off and he just looked at me and shot a 3 and won the game.....I get mad talking about it now. Lol. I was ready to fight everybody at the gym that day.....oh man the good ol days!

8 hours ago, ellitor said:

This post describes itself well.

Yes it did. But you didn't get it and neither did Cole.

I learned a little last night, and we did a bunch of stuff I figured. Like I figured we're probably going to have a roller coaster ride at PG. JM has a bunch of heart but his game isn't smooth. It's awkward and the way he plays....it's hard to describe but it just seem like he's better when he is more of a compliment but not when he's really trying.

Wiley is in a bad spot. He's a traditional big man on a non traditional team. We don't know how to pass, when we do it's either bad pass or it's late or when the play has broke down but I can already see he's going to be the guy that takes all the criticism of everybody else's short comings on the court. This team can't shoot like last year's team, we should focus more going inside out. That's when we played our best. 

A mac is finally getting his athleticism back but he suffered from our awkward play as well. I'm happy to see he has his bounce back. 

Okoro has all the physical tools. You can actually see he has a little better IQ than the guys that's been here as far as sharing the ball. He knows when to cut and stuff, and he actually knows how to deliver an entry pass. 

I really really like flannigan's toughness. I can't really describe but you just know sometimes as far as his competitiveness. I like it. I like him and Cambridge just coming in and finding ways to effect the game. And I like it when it's not offense. 

I like dp's energy but he's going to have to do something different with his shot selection. He's going to have to attack the bucket more.

I still may be mad at samir so I'm going to hold my tongue about him and make sure I don't do the biased stuff I think some of other people do and I call it out, so I don't want to be a hypocrite. 

Lastly we cry too much already. Shut up and play ball!

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

I learned a little last night, and we did a bunch of stuff I figured. Like I figured we're probably going to have a roller coaster ride at PG. JM has a bunch of heart but his game isn't smooth. It's awkward and the way he plays....it's hard to describe but it just seem like he's better when he is more of a compliment but not when he's really trying.

Wiley is in a bad spot. He's a traditional big man on a non traditional team. We don't know how to pass, when we do it's either bad pass or it's late or when the play has broke down but I can already see he's going to be the guy that takes all the criticism of everybody else's short comings on the court. This team can't shoot like last year's team, we should focus more going inside out. That's when we played our best. 

A mac is finally getting his athleticism back but he suffered from our awkward play as well. I'm happy to see he has his bounce back. 

Okoro has all the physical tools. You can actually see he has a little better IQ than the guys that's been here as far as sharing the ball. He knows when to cut and stuff, and he actually knows how to deliver an entry pass. 

I really really like flannigan's toughness. I can't really describe but you just know sometimes as far as his competitiveness. I like it. I like him and Cambridge just coming in and finding ways to effect the game. And I like it when it's not offense. 

I like dp's energy but he's going to have to do something different with his shot selection. He's going to have to attack the bucket more.

I still may be mad at samir so I'm going to hold my tongue about him and make sure I don't do the biased stuff I think some of other people do and I call it out, so I don't want to be a hypocrite. 

Quit sugar coating things Cole!  Question for you as all I saw where 10 minutes of highlights on youtube.  I saw an awful lot of uncontested baskets by GS where there were few defenders -and- many times AMac was standing under the basket not defending while the layup was happening.  Do we have some defensive issues to iron out?  Was he primarily trying to stay out of foul trouble?  Are we not getting back on defense quickly enough?

13 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Quit sugar coating things Cole!  Question for you as all I saw where 10 minutes of highlights on youtube.  I saw an awful lot of uncontested baskets by GS where there were few defenders -and- many times AMac was standing under the basket not defending while the layup was happening.  Do we have some defensive issues to iron out?  Was he primarily trying to stay out of foul trouble?  Are we not getting back on defense quickly enough?

That part of chemistry on the defensive side will have to come back as we play as well. If chumma is going to be missed anywhere it's on the defensive end the most. He made life easy for everybody. Now Wiley and a Mac are going to have to think about position and rebounding and not just blocking shots. The guards won't be able to gamble as much they will have to focus on keeping guys in front more.

Also Okoro is great and is going to be a monster on defense, but he's more like an individual defender whereas chumma was so long he was very helpful as a help defender and I don't think Okoro is going to be able to duplicate that unless he grows a few more inches. 

But yes chemistry and also don't forget us finding ourselves and taking bad shots and turning the ball over leads to good quick wide open shots for the other team.

13 hours ago, AUDevil said:

Your takes on the freshmen and DP's shot selection are right on. I fully agree that we are not good at entry passes, but Wiley has a lot of room to improve in his post up position and his offensive moves once he catches the ball. His passing is the worst part of his game, so I am not optimistic we will develop a good inside out game with him. One thing I am interested to watch is the use of Okoro to get an inside out game going. He posted up at the extended block and at the high post a few times and am intrigued if we can develop off of that. There were two specific possessions in that game where Wiley caught the ball 1 step above the block and had a guard on his back, both times he stepped away from the hoop and shot a jump hook. I think he made one and missed the other. Ga. So. didn't send help either time, which says something about his scouting report. 

12 hours ago, cole256 said:

Also Okoro is great and is going to be a monster on defense, but he's more like an individual defender whereas chumma was so long he was very helpful as a help defender and I don't think Okoro is going to be able to duplicate that unless he grows a few more inches.

I agree that our 5s will have a harder job this year. DP is not the post defender that Okeke was. I think Okoro is going to spend most of his time trying to lock down guards and will not provide much help in post defense. When we went small with J'von, Samir, Okoro, Cambride and Mac, Okoro was guarding the 2 and Cambridge was guarding the four. As you noted in one of our previous chats, he is an explosive athlete, but small to defend the 4. 

17 hours ago, cole256 said:

I watched the game on TV and don’t know much about the X’s and O’s like you guys, but it seemed to me that Samir was complaining a lot to the officials.  His “posture” seemed like he would dwell on what he thought were bad calls. To me, I think he should let coach and the fans give an earful to the refs and he should move on, the young guys need to see positive leadership  from the veterans. Just my uneducated opinion.

Samir was definitely chatting up the refs.  And was told to shut it once.  He also complimented the refs after his blocking foul in front of the scorers table.

Therw were a few instances of guys taking it to the basket- okoro got called a couple times.  I don’t recall DP doing it at all.  He did his frosh year before he was hurt.  Wanna see that more.  

as far as amac standing under basket ... CBP had to have told him to just let it happen as often as it did.

cbp called it - GS was just quicker than us at every position.  We may see some D improvement just facing some slower competition 

Yeah it's important for the team psyche to be confident but at the same time not feel cocky and entitled. We haven't earned anything yet and the people that did play well enough to walk with a little swag are gone. 

We have to approach every game as an opportunity to get better. These out of conference games are vital, more so this year than last year even. We have less margin as far as mistakes and such so it's important to get in a rhythm now.

On 11/6/2019 at 5:46 PM, cole256 said:

we should focus more going inside out. That's when we played our best. 

Absolutely!

If we worked a little hi/lo Motion we could create a lot of mismatches and open looks

On 11/5/2019 at 4:43 PM, jared52 said:

Be glad you didn’t have to play bird. It’d be body to feather… Eeew!

On 11/5/2019 at 9:30 PM, AURex said:

Yes it did. But you didn't get it and neither did Cole.

Everybody got it. We just didn’t stoop to your level. If you don’t like a poster or don’t want to read their stuff don’t click on their threads. It’s pretty simple.

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

Be glad you didn’t have to play bird. It’d be body to feather… Eeew!

Little known fact here is my nickname in HS (and still around town) was Bird due to an uncanny resemblance to Larry Bird. 

• 1 month later...

This year so far??? Everything I thought and said. I will say Okoro was better out the gate than I thought but we'll see during conference play how far along is he with his offense. 

Wiley has been even better on defense as well.  

NBA predictions has been great this year too. Ja Morant, Michael Porter, Zach Levine, and I had Greek freak as my avatar a few years ago before he blew up and he's one of the best players in basketball now.  The cat that comes off the bench for Boston. Oh don't forget lamello, and I just wrote something on suggs in high school and I see he just had a huge game against LeBron's kid on ESPN

I feel like I'm forgetting one more call somewhere....but @Tiger I told you I really do this

Archived