fans leaving the game early

Timeslider 6

8 hours ago, kevon67 said:

I agree with that.......I sat the entire game during a few Bowden/Brother Oliver embarassments.....also the 93 blow out of New Mexico State game, that I believe was actually colder with more wind than the 93 Iron Bowl........with that said thats me, the ticket holder has the right to leave at their choosing.

Nebraska vs OU 1988. Coldest game I ever went to in my life. Sleet, rain, wind, snow, hot drinks gone before the end of the first quarter.  I was like Switzer... hook a kid up with the flask I know you got somewhere on you. Thompson was like selling cocaine to help people warm in the stands between offensive series.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, SCTiger2011 said:

They already keep track of the attendance in the blocks and punish/reward accordingly..  The Auburn SGA created this mess a couple years back by making it borderline impossible to sell/transfer your student ticket to someone who might want it.  When I started, it was as simple as giving someone your Ignited card.  Now, I believe (not familiar with 2019 rules) it's restricted to the owner of the card and there exists a complicated, dumb "guest pass" system if you want to bring anyone else in.  

Also, if you're going to use the students as hostages in this situation, why not do it to everyone else in the stadium too?  Leave at halftime of a boring game in 40 degree weather one too many times?  No more season tickets for you.

you can still transfer your student ticket, you just unfortunately have a few rare guards who'll call you out on it. 95% of people still get by though. Also as you and I know, no one (in terms of students) wanted to get in that game. That situation isnt one where they wouldve grasped together a full student section by the 3rd quarter even if EVERY one was allowed to come in.

I feel like im on my Cole ish in terms of self-superiority on this given topic, but trust me when I say, the combination of factors that led up to the Ole Miss game SHOULDNT occur again during the games that matter on the rest of the schedule. That was a perfect storm that I fully expected would lead to a student no show, and they still drew a 70% crowd (very few photos showed the rest of the student section, which was full)

13 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

It was a sloppy, boring game.

We are much better than Ole Miss, but didn’t show it.

Ole Miss is not a big draw.

It was cold.

It was windy.

It’s easier to watch at home.

Students sometimes leave early, particularly frat boys. I hate it but...

There is general apathy around the program. Say it with me: Gus Malzahn.

my opinion, tho a bad look, it’s your money. Leave when you want. It certainly shows the PTBs (pass the biscuits, btw!) that we want more than 8-4. 

glad to see you pop in ptb. i know it is weird but with your aufam name i always think you are fixing to pour us some gravy. how does gus handle knowing so many fans are upset with him? do you think he believes he can win them back over? can you tell if it bothers him? i love gus as what i know of him being a good man but i would fold under the heat so to speak.

7 hours ago, jAUSon said:

To keep everybody in the stadium the whole game, we need that led off and on mood lighting like Uga and Bama has.

we could go one further and any ticket holder over 18 gets a free pot edibkle................lol

College athletes in 2019 - I'm an adult...I need to be paid to entertain you!

College athletes in 2019 - How dare fans boo and leave the game early...it hurts my feelings!

We gotta do better. Our players should ABSOLUTELY NEVER FEEL THIS WAY.  The negativity has got to stop. We get it that a lot of fans are tired/upset with CGM but there are better ways of dealing with your disappointment/frustration. If you are a fan, especially an Auburn fan, we support our team through thick or thin.  We don't boo at games, even if it meant towards the coach.  

https://www.oanow.com/sports/college/auburn/against-the-world-auburn-faces-rivalry-row-bent-on-proving/article_32cbaa98-fe98-11e9-85f7-17ec51bfc79d.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

28 minutes ago, tbone4jc said:

Gus getting desperate with the "us" against everybody including the fans.  We'll see who gets the last laugh Gus. So laugh it up for now.

The booing is just not acceptable for me. Even if "booing the coach", no one can determine who it is being directed at down on the field(unless it's a bad call by a ref). It's not my job to develop players. I don't see their level of dedication at practice. I can only trust, based off their commitment to Auburn, that they are giving it their all. If I have issues with the coach, I will use the proper avenues to get that message relayed. I'm not going to boo for it to be taken to heart by someone it wasn't intended for. Leave the booing for the fans over on the west side of the state.

2 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Gus getting desperate with the "us" against everybody including the fans.  We'll see who gets the last laugh Gus. So laugh it up for now.

#1. I agree with those who are against booing.  I don't even boo the opposing team because, like ours, they're just people playing football & trying to represent their school & community.  It's just not me.  Now Officials, on the other hand? I'll boo bad Officiating all day long.  Not saying that's right....just one of my human frailties. 

That said, how else are fans to voice their displeasure in the product on the field?  Would those opposed to booing, fans leaving the game early, talking amongst themselves about what they are seeing, message board posters venting or giving their opinion?  I suppose fans could start throwing batteries on the field (a la yankee NFL fans) or tossing bricks through the HC's window (a la bammers), etc?

I guess we're just supposed to pretend we don't understand the nuances of the game and "rah, rah"?  We're just supposed to pretend it's like the "old days" where most of the games weren't televised so we wait til we see the score in the Sunday paper and as long as AU's number is bigger than Ole Miss' number and say "yay, we won....Georgia here we come"?

A majority, it now seems, of Auburn Football fans want a changing of the guard.  Based on what I'm seeing elsewhere, it ain't just us punk message board warriors either.  So, just HOW are the majority supposed to voice their displeasure?  I'm sure bammer fans can give advice if booing Gus and/or leaving a game early is "too harsh"...

I know the board isn't fun right now.  And yes I'm both complaining about it AND participating in it.  I hate it....and yet I love my Auburn Tigers so I'm ready for a change.  So, yes, I'm going to speak up.  I try to be civil always (sometimes I do fail).  However, Auburn fans ain't got NOTHING on NFL or bammer types.  Try being around Philadelphia Eagle fans when they suck.  You'll pine for the civility of Auburn fans simply booing & leaving.

Much like the United States, we Auburn fans ain't perfect, but I'd still wager we're better than most.  Gus' Offense & personnel mismanagement that's been going on for almost 6 years now has just pushed us to the breaking point.....as this board clearly demonstrates. 

1 hour ago, oracle79 said:

That Article sort of rubbed me the wrong way... "Fair Weather fans..."  He must not be a long time AU fan and passing judgement based upon this year only. Many of us remember sitting through torrential down pours and waited out 2-3 hr rain delays for our boys over the years. Yes the students left at half time... big deal... they make up 1/4 of the fan base. Please don't say Auburn family when just the children in the family leave... What about the rest of us?

I left midway into the 3rd... Because I too was freezing. We had a fire and coffee at the tailgate....Thats how it goes and how its been for 30 years. Dont worry, the kiddos will all be back in force for UGA so everyone dont let it ruffle your feathers.  As far as the booing... Everyone and their grandmothers knew it was at Gus for letting the clock run out, unless I missed something by end of the game.... When did we get so thinned skinned and sensitive about this? Its really much to do about nothing. WDE.

I wills say this: I 100% stayed for the half time show honoring the service men and women. I hope they students at least stayed for this.... The band making the tank and helo was pretty cool.

32 minutes ago, Beenjammin said:

When did we get so thinned skinned and sensitive about this? Its really much to do about nothing. WDE.

virtue-signaling-virtue-signaling-everyw

3 hours ago, tbone4jc said:

We gotta do better. Our players should ABSOLUTELY NEVER FEEL THIS WAY.  The negativity has got to stop. We get it that a lot of fans are tired/upset with CGM but there are better ways of dealing with your disappointment/frustration. If you are a fan, especially an Auburn fan, we support our team through thick or thin.  We don't boo at games, even if it meant towards the coach.  

https://www.oanow.com/sports/college/auburn/against-the-world-auburn-faces-rivalry-row-bent-on-proving/article_32cbaa98-fe98-11e9-85f7-17ec51bfc79d.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

People have been booing at Auburn games off and on for at least 20 years.  Y'all act like this is a new phenomenon.

I hate the boo birds but just like here it's different strokes for different folks. As far as leaving early.......I very, very rarely leave early and always for a good reason, but you buy a ticket it doesn't say you have to stay the whole game.

I’m just amazed sometimes at folks. So when we had a President at AU that was wasting money and not doing his job we fired him. We had an AD we felt wasn’t doing what we paid him for so we fired him. Any teacher or employees in general of Auburn that fail to do their job we fire them. Yet the highest priced employee at AU to the tune of 7 million a year and some don’t think we should hold him to the same standards as others. Pretty sure every university that does sports requires certain accomplishments form their coach or they fire them. When Gus demanded 7 million which is top 5 pay in the field, he should understand what AU expects is not to lose games the we should win like UF, LSU and almost OM. Their is no discussion here. Gus has not delivered what he needed for the price that he bargained. Don’t feel sorry if he had actually been about AU he wouldn’t have demanded and held AU hostage over 49 million. Remember this wasn’t a negotiated settlement at the end of the year. This was holding AU hostage days before the SEC game that could have sent us to the playoff. Then AU  paid  the ransom and Gus craps on them by not getting the team prepared for the Game. Then he further craps on AU by going 7/5 the next year. Then AU tries to cut ties and Gus offers to drop his buyout amount for another year to prove himself. Instead he craps on AU again by not having his team ready again. At what point do you realize the man is not reliable in keeping his word? Enough is enough fire the man. He doesn’t deserve to be at AU. Do you really think Gus is following the creed and doing his best? Of course not it’s all about him and his unhealthy desire to not admit any wrong decisions no mater the cost to the team or individual players . How any sane person could feel any sympathy for a guy that held the university hostage at a vulnerable point for his profit , is beyond me. Gus is not the good guy some portray him as.

I don't think many people are in CGM corner anymore, after LSU I gave up on him. It's the player reactions that concerns me. Especially the first home game in a month? I have never been okay with booing my teams. You can continue to show you displeasure with the coach with emails, sports forums and the such. I certainly hope our next home game is much improved.

2 hours ago, tbone4jc said:

I don't think many people are in CGM corner anymore, after LSU I gave up on him. It's the player reactions that concerns me. Especially the first home game in a month? I have never been okay with booing my teams. You can continue to show you displeasure with the coach with emails, sports forums and the such. I certainly hope our next home game is much improved.

Gus has many more backers than you realize at least on our sites. This site and the Rant are pretty much done with him but ITAT/AUC has been a warzone for the last 10 days. One of the mods over there has made like four different threads so he can talk ish to Gus "haters." It's pretty shameful honestly. 

22 hours ago, abw0004 said:

There were fans booing Nix specifically yes.  And I can say this because I was at the game in person.  

Those fans are idiots. Bo hasn’t been the best in big games but neither has the OL or the playcalling. No disrespect to Gatewood but he couldn’t even start in high school. I don’t know why so many believe he would’ve been some savior to the offense 

3 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I’m just amazed sometimes at folks. So when we had a President at AU that was wasting money and not doing his job we fired him. We had an AD we felt wasn’t doing what we paid him for so we fired him. Any teacher or employees in general of Auburn that fail to do their job we fire them. Yet the highest priced employee at AU to the tune of 7 million a year and some don’t think we should hold him to the same standards as others. Pretty sure every university that does sports requires certain accomplishments form their coach or they fire them. When Gus demanded 7 million which is top 5 pay in the field, he should understand what AU expects is not to lose games the we should win like UF, LSU and almost OM. Their is no discussion here. Gus has not delivered what he needed for the price that he bargained. Don’t feel sorry if he had actually been about AU he wouldn’t have demanded and held AU hostage over 49 million. Remember this wasn’t a negotiated settlement at the end of the year. This was holding AU hostage days before the SEC game that could have sent us to the playoff. Then AU  paid  the ransom and Gus craps on them by not getting the team prepared for the Game. Then he further craps on AU by going 7/5 the next year. Then AU tries to cut ties and Gus offers to drop his buyout amount for another year to prove himself. Instead he craps on AU again by not having his team ready again. At what point do you realize the man is not reliable in keeping his word? Enough is enough fire the man. He doesn’t deserve to be at AU. Do you really think Gus is following the creed and doing his best? Of course not it’s all about him and his unhealthy desire to not admit any wrong decisions no mater the cost to the team or individual players . How any sane person could feel any sympathy for a guy that held the university hostage at a vulnerable point for his profit , is beyond me. Gus is not the good guy some portray him as.

So I am not on the Gus Bus anymore, but I do have to point out a few things. First, I don't think GM's buyout was ever reduced. I remember about the time that the hotseat melt happened that a few of the beat guys reported that may have happened, but I think it was confirmed false afterwards. Also, I do not believe that Gus isn't doing his best. I believe he puts a ton of hard work in and puts his best foot forward each day. I draw a line on questioning his character and I feel that your post crossed that line. I do not question his effort. That is, however, the problem. I believe we have seen Gus Malzahn's best efforts and they are not warranted of what we are paying nor do they meet expectations we should have. I also disagree about him holding AU hostage. I get where you are coming from, but I put that more on his agent and our DA former president and AD. Arky was coming after Gus...pure and simple, and they were going to throw money at him....pure and simple....Auburn...and Leath had the option to negotiate, match, let him go...whatever it be. Auburn gave him the lopsided contract. Gus has fallen on the golden side of the coin for sure, but I don't think it was in malicious intent on his part. 

In short, I think Gus is a very respectable man and an Auburn man. I just believe that he is too stubborn to adapt and his deficiencies have not been properly addressed. This happens in sports and life in all areas and it doesn't make someone a bad person. I do agree about him being held accountable for his performance, though. That again....falls on Auburn.

17 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Those fans are idiots. Bo hasn’t been the best in big games but neither has the OL or the playcalling. No disrespect to Gatewood but he couldn’t even start in high school. I don’t know why so many believe he would’ve been some savior to the offense 

Dust off the cape and here we go! Lol

23 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

It wasn’t a matter of Gatewood being the “savior”, but a change of pace to take pressure off of Nix. 

51 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

Gus has many more backers than you realize at least on our sites. This site and the Rant are pretty much done with him but ITAT/AUC has been a warzone for the last 10 days. One of the mods over there has made like four different threads so he can talk ish to Gus "haters." It's pretty shameful honestly. 

Auburn rivals and the rant are firmly against Gus but it does shock me to see he even still has a little support on the rant. I thought it would be more akin to rivals where it is like 95% against Gus. The rant is in the 75% to 80% range against gus.

Itat/247 are always flooded with the sunshine pumpers. They fall in line with the war blogle type of fans who didn't even want chiz fired in 2012. 

Our fanbase is a microcosm of our administration. We have never and probably never will all be pulling in the same direction. At least not for football. It will take a Pearl like personality for unification.

4 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

People have been booing at Auburn games off and on for at least 20 years.  Y'all act like this is a new phenomenon.

Been at the stadium on a few occasions where Pat Nix was booed in hopes to see D Craig play.

Archived