How Did You Choose Your Screenname?

ToraGirl

2 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

I do, too!  I am pretty sure that Toomer's or Anders carries this hat in various seasons...my brother always wants us to stock up so that he can share them with friends.  I LOVE the name Ezekiel.

Me too! Ever since I was a little kid I told my mom I’d name my firstborn son Ezekiel... I used it on a dog with no regrets lol

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

The more we know about each other--

--the more we understand each other...

--the more we dodge minefields...

--the more we find commonalities! 

(The more we have to talk about besides both sides of the obvious, maybe the more "Family" we'll experience.)  

Tora is Japanese for "tiger."  Girl is obvious.

Family connections to Japan; my only brother (LURKER!) lives there, has since 1994.  Our son is pursuing Asian studies at AU with a desire to live and work there in the future.

Love languages, love tigers...there we are.

DSCN6347.JPGImage result for auburn tiger shibuya

TG, you are correct and FYI the code to proceed with the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor was "Tora,Tora, Tora" Don't know if you knew that or not.I spent some time in Iwakuni Japan, a Marine Corps air station in 1967 and got along great with the locals. They are really a very polite people and it was hard to believe we were at war with them for four years. 

WDE!!!

Auseomse AU hat, Tora. btw. 

AU is self explanatory, as I'm a graduate.

Raptor is both a bird of prey and a reference to dinosaurs, which is an interest of mine.

Also, Au is the symbol for gold, and Raptor play into the binomial ' golden eagle ' meaning, in a loose fashion. So any way one wants to see it, Auburn Raptor, Golden Eagle, that's the general thought behind AURaptor. 

18 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Tora, we can always count on you for a great change of pace.  So fun, thank you!

Mine's pretty simple.  Born in Birmingham, AL, in 1972.  All of my Dad's side of the family are Auburn fans (some grads) except my Uncle (who's hanging with our Lord & Savior now) who graduated from bama.  Oddly, he never was much of a football fan but he LOVED him some UAB Blazers basketball. 

My Grandmother (Mom's Mom) was an Auburn fan too.  However, my Grandaddy was originally from Pittsburgh, PA, and liked Penn St (who actually had a bit of a rivalry with bammer back in the day) so he, too, was not a bammer fan.  Of course, being a Yankee, he was primarily a pro football fan so I grew up with loads of Steelers gear, LOL!  I've even got a World Series program with Roberto Clemente (Pirates) & Jim Palmer, Frank Robinson & Brooks Robinson (Orioles) from '71.

Had an aticle from a Highlights magazine from 77/78 that hung in my room till I moved in 87 that featured Terry Bradshaw from his journey from Louisiana to being booed in Pittsburgh to becoming beloved.......would read that article nearly every night.......my Freshman/HS #82 was you guessed it Stallworth inspired.......if you loved the Steelers you hated the Cowboys.

One of my favorite baseball players as a kid was Dave Parker.

18 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

The more we know about each other--

--the more we understand each other...

--the more we dodge minefields...

--the more we find commonalities! 

(The more we have to talk about besides both sides of the obvious, maybe the more "Family" we'll experience.)  

Tora is Japanese for "tiger."  Girl is obvious.

Family connections to Japan; my only brother (LURKER!) lives there, has since 1994.  Our son is pursuing Asian studies at AU with a desire to live and work there in the future.

Love languages, love tigers...there we are.

DSCN6347.JPGImage result for auburn tiger shibuya

Love this pic, Tora!  Very beautiful!!!

My wife also visited Japan several years ago.....Chiba prefecture and also time in Tokyo itself and SO many pictures she brought home had those Japanese ladies with "V" signs.  We even have pics somewhere from when we invited some of her Japanese coworkers to our home for Thanksgiving one year (when we were still in suburban Atlanta).  Several came as they don't celebrate Thanksgiving but heard so much about it they were THRILLED to witness an Americana Thanksgiving in our home.  That was SO MUCH fun that year.  One of the best holidays EVER!  And yes, we have pics somewhere with them all holding up "V" signs, LOL!

Side note, we took one of Sonya's coworkers, who's Japanese, along with his Chinese wife to church once, as they really wanted to go.  It was SO adorable & hilarious when we introduced them to our Pastor, David Poe, and when he shook her hand she got weak knees, nervous with excitement and like a small child just smiled and beamed holding her hand up like she'd never wash it again because she was SO THRILLED to have "touched a man of God".  It's SO amazing when you truly see cultural differences and can teach & explain your "ways".  So rewarding & amusing at the same time.

2 hours ago, AURaptor said:

Auseomse AU hat, Tora. btw. 

AU is self explanatory, as I'm a graduate.

Raptor is both a bird of prey and a reference to dinosaurs, which is an interest of mine.

Also, Au is the symbol for gold, and Raptor play into the binomial ' golden eagle ' meaning, in a loose fashion. So any way one wants to see it, Auburn Raptor, Golden Eagle, that's the general thought behind AURaptor. 

That's absolutely smashing! Great choice! You put science all thru it. Dad would have loved this. Marianne (AU raptor caretaker)  visited my former school/classroom with some AU raptors and critters. We'll never be the same after watching her husband pull four babies from a possum pouch! 

Fairly easy played golf at AU and 1716 was the greatest Auburn football game I ever saw in personal. Had this user name when the original AOL started back in the 90's. I was on their college sports chat with slow ass dial up

Mine goes back to the old aol chat rooms.  Anybody remember those?  I was an admin of a couple of fast pitch softball rooms using another name.  I had been around the game for years and one of the regulars told a few that I had been ‘around the game forever’.  So I changed my name to around4ever.  It has stuck with me through several forums. 

Tiger-duh

Refuge- I am the forester for 6 national wildlife refuges in Louisiana. I manage forested habitat for migratory birds, an endangered woodpecker, Louisiana black bear, and resident wildlife. I also get to set the woods on fire...on purpose...without getting arrested. Yay for legal arson! Woohoo!

33 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Tiger-duh

Refuge- I am the forester for 6 national wildlife refuges in Louisiana. I manage forested habitat for migratory birds, an endangered woodpecker, Louisiana black bear, and resident wildlife. I also get to set the woods on fire...on purpose...without getting arrested. Yay for legal arson! Woohoo!

My Dad told me for years to go into animal husbandry or forestry because I always have loved nature & specifically camping in state & national parks (or, at least until I got married....we're not temperature compatible so that put the kibosh on camping).

Didn't listen dangit!

34 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Tiger-duh

That sounds like an absolutely fascinating career!! LA has some seriously beautiful wetlands...we did Spring Break in "Cajun Country" in March 2018...stayed just outside Lafayette...Carencro...loved every moment. Boudin is real!!

17 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

My Dad told me for years to go into animal husbandry or forestry because I always have loved nature & specifically camping in state & national parks (or, at least until I got married....we're not temperature compatible so that put the kibosh on camping).

Didn't listen dangit!

My road to this career started when my dad brought home a Sports Afield magazine when I was a child. There was a picture of a guy with a giant yellowfin tuna he had caught. I was spell bound. Long story short, I’m now a forester.😬

22 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

That sounds like an absolutely fascinating career!! LA has some seriously beautiful wetlands...we did Spring Break in "Cajun Country" in March 2018...stayed just outside Lafayette...Carencro...loved every moment. Boudin is real!!

It has allowed me to follow my calling, sometimes without me even knowing it. I grew up in Mississippi and love my home state, but Louisiana has some pretty cool stuff to see as well. Without getting all technical, there are lots of different habitat types for lots of different critters.

And I loooooove Cajun country. And yes, boudin is for real...fo realz! @McLoofus shares my affinity for it. Especially smoked boudin from The Best Stop in Scott, LA.

10 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Tiger-duh

You're who I want to be when I grow up.

Did somebody say smoked boudin?

giphy.gif

10 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Didn't listen dangit!

So your wife hates cold weather too.....mine sure does😢....I once woke up exited the tent and started a fire just off the Appalachian Trail near Blood Mountain in a pair of khaki shorts and a rugby shirt.....it was 28 degrees...........of course I slept in a mummy sleeping bag from LLBean.

11 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

So your wife hates cold weather too.....mine sure does😢....I once woke up exited the tent and started a fire just off the Appalachian Trail near Blood Mountain in a pair of khaki shorts and a rugby shirt.....it was 28 degrees...........of course I slept in a mummy sleeping bag from LLBean.

Yep. Between my wife's intolerance of cold weather sleeping and my intolerance of hot weather sleeping, we've got about a week each in the fall and spring to camp.

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Yep. Between my wife's intolerance of cold weather sleeping and my intolerance of hot weather sleeping, we've got about a week each in the fall and spring to camp.

We should form a support group.

Mine is just random. Actually, my name is Ralph!! jK 😎

2 hours ago, kevon67 said:

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

2 hours ago, kevon67 said:

We should form a support group.

Yes.

We, of course, live in SW Fla (as I probably too often mention) and 10-1/2 months per year our A/C is on ...... while she sits wrapped up in big fuzzy blankets.

I tell her one can always put on more layers for the cold, but one can only get so naked.

We camped once.....once.

Sacrifi....ur, um... Compromise.

On 11/3/2019 at 3:34 PM, Potatooooooes!! said:

I remember seeing a commercial about potatoes....

You might have my favorite handle on the site. Like, it's impossible not to hear it in your head when you see it. It's awesome. 

Way back in 2003, a bunch of Auburn folks loaded up a jet and flew to go gauge interest in a new coach to replace Tuberville. Those days, I would start my day in an anatomy lab in medical school...dreaming of a day where I could be a doctor and work with my beloved Auburn Tigers. As I joined AUF, almost every post mentioned the PTBs (Powers that Be-a reference to the decision-makers) at Auburn. I had no idea what this term meant.

At that very moment, one of my fellow classmates entered with a plate of biscuits and asked if anyone wanted to partake. I then and there used the moniker Pass the Biscuits (PTB). I, ironically, do not like biscuits.

And in a cool twist of fate, I did become a doctor and get to live in the greatest city in the world and work with the best team in the world as well. The moniker still works as a nice “cover” for my fandom despite my proximity to many of the issues that are discussed, so I’ve never changed it. 

My dreams fulfilled, I often find myself in meetings with the same PTBs that started it all. 

WDE!

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

You might have my favorite handle on the site. Like, it's impossible not to hear it in your head when you see it. It's awesome. 

Haha well thank you! It does mine too. I had kinda forgotten it until this thread, but now I’m always howling it

Im one of the ones from the AE site that had to merge to here.

In highschool someone gave me the nickname tomtom.  My name is tommy.  I kinda liked it.  I became an auburn fan in 2002 when i actually started watching football ( around 7th grade i guess)  wanted something simple.  So i put the nickname with wde and havent looked back since.

I did have some doubts after the merger but it seemed like a good fit after a few months 

So @ToraGirl, not much of a story behind mine. I'm a Mc IRL, so I started there, and just thought the rest sounded silly. And it made Mrs. Loof giggle. There's probably some analysis that could be done as to underlying motives and what that says about me, but it would be selfish of me to do it myself and subject y'all to that.

Fun thread. Thanks for this. 

Archived