Taggert fired at FSU

PigskinPat

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

“Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome with open arms the next head coach of your Auburn football team—Rhett Lashlee!”

I could see it happening 

45 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

He has collected 3 buyouts now. USF, Oregon and FSU totaling $30 million I believe

Don't think that's accurate.  He's only owed the buyout should he be terminated.  He wasn't terminated at USF (he left for Oregon) and he wasn't terminated at Oregon after 1 year (he left for fsu).  The respective schools that hired him away may have paid part of HIS (what he would owe the school should he take another job) buyout to leave but Taggart wouldn't have collected any buyout money from USF or Oregon if its how contracts in the passed have been done. 

2 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

Don't think that's accurate.  He's only owed the buyout should he be terminated.  He wasn't terminated at USF (he left for Oregon) and he wasn't terminated at Oregon after 1 year (he left for fsu).  The respective schools that hired him away may have paid part of HIS (what he would owe the school should he take another job) buyout to leave but Taggart wouldn't have collected any buyout money from USF or Oregon if its how contracts in the passed have been done. 

I am sure u are correct, saw a tweet, was thinking the same thing and have been looking for the tweet but I can’t find it.  The amount is probably right but he did not collect.  Thank you

25 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I could see it happening 

Definitely could see it happening. Don’t expect it to, however. I think after Chizik and Gus, we’re going to have to shell out some cash for a proven winner of a coach whomever it may be. 

JABA approach won’t do this time around. 

What is FSU thinking?  Who are they going to get that is any better?  Don't they know they could wind up like Alabama between Bear and Saban, or Texas, or USC, or even Tennessee?  What kind of crazy expectations do they have? They didn't even win a college football game until the late 1940's right?  They have no history of contending compared to all the blue bloods.  Blah, blah, blah, etc.

At least they saw their mistake and cut their losses early instead of letting it drag on. But, I hope their next hire sux also.

14 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Definitely could see it happening. Don’t expect it to, however. I think after Chizik and Gus, we’re going to have to shell out some cash for a proven winner of a coach whomever it may be. 

JABA approach won’t do this time around. 

I believe in Greene

Have we gotten a new president yet?

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Competitiveness? A sense of improvement?

BuT WhAt If ThEy TuRn InTo ThE nExT tENnEsSeE!?!?!?!?

Performance has been poor but the quickness / timing of this makes me think there is more to this decision than just W-L ...though guess that can show up in the way of internal issues with players and staff. 

Never understood the decision to hire him but just another case of making a decision based on too little information. 

Just now, AU64 said:

Performance has been poor but the quickness / timing of this makes me think there is more to this decision than just W-L ...though guess that can show up in the way of internal issues with players and staff.

That's my thought. I get that you want improvement, but what were they expecting by making that hire in that situation. You have to be playing the long game and this clearly isn't a patient decision.

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

FSU fans talking about wanting Gus 

They can't be serious! Has to be a troll, maybe one of us.

Just now, Never2Yield said:

They can't be serious! Has to be a troll, maybe one of us.

Twitter is having a ball suggesting Auburn would pay FSU to take him lol they really want a proven recruiter with winning records.

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

Twitter is having a ball suggesting Auburn would pay FSU to take him lol they really want a proven recruiter with winning records.

If true, I don't know what to say then ...

Okay! :dunno:

2 minutes ago, Zeek said:

they really want a proven recruiter with winning records.

Everyone does.....nothing new about that.....so how many Power 5 or Div 1 guys are out there that are looking for a better situation that meet that criteria and don't have some kind of skeleton in their closet.  ?  

JMO but Stoops is this generations version of Gruden.....always at the top of everyone's list but not likely to ever take a job that involves restoring a team that is living at the bottom of it's conference.  Why even do that?  

I would bet my house that if FSU came calling for Gus, Auburn would make some stupid agreement to pay half of his buyout. For whatever reason, we just love opening up the checkbook and paying former coaches

3 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

How did Jimbo leave FSU in a mess, I mean I remember they stunk his last year there but still...

curious.

I live in Tallahassee and trade scuttlebutt with some FSU donors at work.Jimbo basically quit recruiting his last year or so and was looking for an out after 2016. Around that time he had a pretty messy and public divorce which wasn't his fault... his wife was having an affair with her personal trainer. The recruiting lapses are most felt on their OL (that sounds familiar), it's been a mess for two years now. He left town in like a day after he took the A&M job, there's a semi famous picture of his Christmas tree out on his curb after he left. He also recruited many players of low character who weren't interested in going to class and got in trouble with the law. Look up "Turntle and Ricky Aguayo" if you want to know more. It was so bad they were nearly banned from postseason play for failing to meet minimum APR.

The way it was described to me is that Taggart was turning the culture around little by little and ran off some of the REALLY bad apples but not all of them. The problem was that Taggart showed no signs of improvement in two years. He's just not a popular guy around town. On a personal note, if you want to know what kind of guy he is, he pledged money to one of our high schools but only if they would make his son the starting quarterback. The other kid is a family friend and transferred schools as a result of Willie's quid pro quo.

Not memeing here, but FSU really does need someone like Gus Malzahn. For all his faults Gus recruits kids that stay out of trouble and doesn't put up with guys that do. He would at least make FSU respectable again.

13 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

He would be good in the ACC.  Only has to deal with Clemson.

He could make the CFP at FSU. He'd lose once there, but he could get there.

5 hours ago, auburnphan said:

He has collected 3 buyouts now. USF, Oregon and FSU totaling $30 million I believe

Poor fella 🙄

21 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

I live in Tallahassee and trade scuttlebutt with some FSU donors at work.Jimbo basically quit recruiting his last year or so and was looking for an out after 2016. Around that time he had a pretty messy and public divorce which wasn't his fault... his wife was having an affair with her personal trainer. The recruiting lapses are most felt on their OL (that sounds familiar), it's been a mess for two years now. He left town in like a day after he took the A&M job, there's a semi famous picture of his Christmas tree out on his curb after he left. He also recruited many players of low character who weren't interested in going to class and got in trouble with the law. Look up "Turntle and Ricky Aguayo" if you want to know more. It was so bad they were nearly banned from postseason play for failing to meet minimum APR.

The way it was described to me is that Taggart was turning the culture around little by little and ran off some of the REALLY bad apples but not all of them. The problem was that Taggart showed no signs of improvement in two years. He's just not a popular guy around town. On a personal note, if you want to know what kind of guy he is, he pledged money to one of our high schools but only if they would make his son the starting quarterback. The other kid is a family friend and transferred schools as a result of Willie's quid pro quo.

Not memeing here, but FSU really does need someone like Gus Malzahn. For all his faults Gus recruits kids that stay out of trouble and doesn't put up with guys that do. He would at least make FSU respectable again.

Thanks for sharing! The more and more I think about it the better of a fit I think it would be. It would take some time but he could handle ACC competition minus Dabo easily. Miami is on the rise but with the current state of FSU football they’d be fine with 8-10 wins consistently. 

Yes, I live really close to Tallahassee actually and the culture there has been horrid for a minute. Some of that is the town itself and some of it is when recruiting Florida kids he’s tapping the talent pools that often generate less than stellar people.

I support this move for Gus. He needs to bring old man Grimes with him. 

52 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

The recruiting lapses are most felt on their OL (that sounds familiar), it's been a mess for two years now. He left town in like a day after he took the A&M job, there's a semi famous picture of his Christmas tree out on his curb after he left.

And this, for anyone still defending the Malzahn regime, is EXACTLY why we have to make a change. The offensive line is THE most important unit in CFB.

hahahaha Wolken is really trying to push the Gus to FSU narrative. I would not mind it one bit! That is one way to get around the buy out. 

9 hours ago, bigbird said:

He could make the CFP at FSU. He'd lose once there, but he could get there.

He would get plenty of opportunities to make the 3-QB hydra and whirlybird work against Clemson.

Archived