Calling All Coaches!

ToraGirl

Mods...this may need moving. I would love to know who in "FamilyLand"...

1. Played football in high school?  Position? Years?

2. Played in college? Same? Same?

3. Played pro?

4. Has coached football at the high school or college level, and what position?

5. Is currently coaching football and where, if you can or care to share. 

I have learned TONS from those who can say NO to each of the above. But I am curious as to who has or is a YES on any of them.

*Tora, wife of a 8th/9th grade TE who scored the first TD at Heritage High in Conyers, GA, late 70's...who, like countless of you, has taught me a lot as well. He teaches me the GAME. I teach him the "SITUATION." 😉🤗

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Played in HS.  Position (all over the place)

2. Recruited to play at several D2 schools but choose to play Baseball in college 

3. Played minor league baseball for 2 1/2 seasons (Detroit Organization)

4. Only coached some youth baseball 

5. No not currently coaching anything.   

Played Football and Baseball through High School level (didn't have the size to play football beyond that.

Played QB and SS. 

Coached youth Basketball.

Coached Freshman  football HS as an unpaid assistant under former coach.

40 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

I’ve played a ton of NCAA ‘14 on Playstation? 

Same for me but on Xbox. Can I join?

Played football (DB and QB) -baseball (catcher) basketball (forward) through HS. Coached little league baseball-girls softball-13-14 yr boys basketball. Enjoyed coaching softball above all other. Coached my youngest daughter for five years. 

I played division 2 football at Harding university for a little bit but opted to run track instead since they were willing to give me a full ride though it. Only half of my school was being met through football.  However, I ended up being diagnosed with cardiomyopathy and after that , it killed my sports career. No college coach would touch me after that. So I transferred back home and got my nursing degree through auburn and became a CVICU nurse. 

I played running back and whatever defensive position they needed that week (mostly outside linebacker covering tight ends and running backs). As a running back I broke 1,500 yards my sophomore year (a lot of carries against a very small division in Florida) before “retiring” my junior year to focus on wrestling (Virginia Tech, UTC, and Clarion were recruiting me hard). Long story short I ended up at UCF instead when my dad was laid off and my mom diagnosed with cervical cancer (7 years in remission now)!

I’ve coached running backs at two different schools now and wrestling. Next year I’ll be the offensive coordinator and guiding our transition from a wing-t 70s type offense into a spread attack that utilizes our skill players and minimizes our size issues on the OL. We have a QB who can sling darts but he’s too obsessed with trying to be a “dual threat”. I could track this kid down while eating boiled peanuts. I’m excited to be a play caller it’s something I’ve dreamed of since my first NCAA video game but not something I saw happening.

No college football for me but I used to eat lunch with Blake Bortles and Storm Johnson almost every day in the athletics building. Cool guys who love sushi. 

Played LB/DE and some TE in high school. Intramural stuff in military nothing beyond that. 

High School Basketball in Alabama, College Basketball in North Carolina.

1 hour ago, ToraGirl said:

1. Played football in high school?  Position? Years?

2. Played in college? Same? Same?

3. Played pro?

4. Has coached football at the high school or college level, and what position?

5. Is currently coaching football and where, if you can or care to share. 

I have learned TONS from those who can say NO to each of the above. But I am curious as to who has or is a YES on any of them.

*Tora, wife of a 8th/9th grade TE who scored the first TD at Heritage High in Conyers, GA, late 70's...who, like countless of you, has taught me a lot as well. He teaches me the GAME. I teach him the "SITUATION." 😉🤗

Funny, you're exposing my ignorance, Tora! LOL!!! J/K...well, I AM ignorant,  but that's beside the point. 😎

1. I played both football & baseball from pee-wee through HS.  I was lightly recruited by a couple small schools (both sports) and was hoping to go to West Georgia but blew out my shoulder, playing baseball.  After a shoulder scope, I hoped to walk-on (baseball) at DeKalb Community College but I just wasn't the same.  Just became a regular, if stoopid, student. I played FB & LB until my Soph year in HS where I changed to Offensive Guard as we liked to pull a lot so I was our pulling guard (my Fullback experience led me there).

2-5. Sorry, I got nothin'.

OMG, Heritage HS!  The Patriots, right?  Played them in both sports ('86 -'90 / Central Gwinnett Black Knights)!  

Running back in Jr High. Played Flanker, then Tight End in HS. Also played Safety and was the long snapper on punts. I was one of those guys who loved to practice because I was very competitive. 

2 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

Great thread again Tora.

As a baseball guy have always felt the mentality in sports on average equal to last year of participation.

Baseball mentality for an adult is on average that or below a 12 year old.

Football mentality probably 15 years old. 

1. Played football and baseball throughout high school. Thought I would love coaching as a career until my Dad had a talk with me. So glad that he was wise and I listened. 

1 minute ago, 3rdgeneration said:

Interesting to see the expertise we have on here...

ef8.jpg

3 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Great thread again Tora.

As a baseball guy have always felt the mentality in sports on average equal to last year of participation.

1. Played football and baseball throughout high school. Thought I would love coaching as a career until my Dad had a talk with me. So glad that he was wise and I listened. 

From my wrestling experience I’ll say being an assistant for a great head coach I a tremendous thing. Loved every second. Being the head coach can feel lonely and exhausting. If I’m ever not the head wrestling coach at my current school I’ll never be a head coach again. Too much BS for a $3,000 stipend.

4 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Great thread again Tora.

All I had to be told was 25/8/366 and I said, nope.

I played HS football at Lee HS, Montgomery. No real coaching experience except youth football. I was an AHSAA High School Football Official for 15 seasons and worked one Super 6. I am just an average fan with very little, if any, technical knowledge of the game I love so much.

4 minutes ago, Sully to Beasley said:

I played HS football at Lee HS, Montgomery. No real coaching experience except youth football. I was an AHSAA High School Football Official for 15 seasons and worked one Super 6. I am just an average fan with very little, if any, technical knowledge of the game I love so much.

Class of ‘99!

10 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

Interesting to see the expertise we have on here...

I think this is @ToraGirl's subtle way of putting many of us in our place.  😁

Archived