Calling All Coaches!

ToraGirl

13 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

Mods...this may need moving. I would love to know who in "FamilyLand"...

1. Played football in high school?  Position? Years? Every position on defense for at least one snap in a real game, TE, WR, onside kick...er

2. Played in college? Same? Same?

3. Played pro?

4. Has coached football at the high school or college level, and what position?

5. Is currently coaching football and where, if you can or care to share. Only here. @bigbird will learn something about this sport if it kills me. 

I have learned TONS from those who can say NO to each of the above. But I am curious as to who has or is a YES on any of them.

*Tora, wife of a 8th/9th grade TE who scored the first TD at Heritage High in Conyers, GA, late 70's...who, like countless of you, has taught me a lot as well. He teaches me the GAME. I teach him the "SITUATION." 😉🤗

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

1) Monogan, West Virginia DB

2 Kent State DB

3) Didn't go pro

4) Kent State, Syracuse, W. Virginia, Ohio State, Navy, Houston Oilers, Cleveland Browns, Miami Dolphins, Mich State, LSU

5) Can't tell you.... I pull all my strategies and philosophies from this board.

Only 3 NFL teams?

(Damn, dude!)

1. Played football from pee-wee to high school. FB/LB/DT .

2. 1 year Collage at Central State University (1985-1986). Had a bad motorcycle accident that ended my football aspirations in 1986 .

3. No. Never was that good lol.

4 & 5. Never really got into coaching anything really. 

Have been a sports junkie since I was 12 years old,  played a little HS baseball and basketball....never started.  Also college tennis,  intramural basketball and football at AU,  city tennis leagues, industrial basketball leagues, industrial golf leagues.... coached youth baseball and basketball when kids were playing age.   .  My wife says I will play or watch about any game that involves a ball.... playing part of it is pretty much limited to golf now. 

Favorite sports in order....NCAAF,  MLB,  NCAABB but generally whatever is in season.     I do not get my coaching theories or philosophies from this board.  

I love to talk sports...about almost any sport....but not into snarky argumentative exchanges. 

11 hours ago, Sully to Beasley said:

Class of '77. I'm an old guy! :P

Class of ‘82 here!   I was captain of the worst team Lee ever had in ‘81.   Ha!    (I use that as an ice-breaking fun fact about me sometimes)

QB until 8th grade. Outgrew the position 🙂. Got moved to tackle in the 8th grade, and as Jerry Clower said, " Once a tackle always a tackle." Broke arm in ninth grade. Reinjured arm in tenth grade, and quit football to concentrate on golf. 

Played summer league American Legion baseball until 18 years old. Didn't play in the spring for high school, as it conflicted with golf schedule. 

3 years OC for a rec league team in Athens, GA in which we were two time area champions.

That should be experience enough for at least a $49 dollar buyout.

10 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

2 Kent State DB

3) Didn't go pro

4) Kent State, Syracuse, W. Virginia, Ohio State, Navy, Houston Oilers, Cleveland Browns, Miami Dolphins, Mich State, LSU

5) Can't tell you.... I pull all my strategies and philosophies from this board.

UDAMAN!!!!!!

LivePeacefulBassethound-size_restricted.gif

Didn't play, but I did stay in Holiday Inn Express last night.....

In all seriousness, I chose broadcasting over playing while in school, going back to high school.  With that came the ability to sit with coaches during film sessions, ask questions about scheming, etc and get unfiltered views.  The key is knowing what I can and can't say on air.  Also get to go behind the scenes for practices and get up close with teaching techniques, game-planning, etc etc.  

Same for baseball.  Traveled with a minor league team for years as their play by play guy.  Learned a ton about plate approaches, adjustments, pitching philosophies, grips, tricks to take a few MPH off a change or FB and more.

None of that makes me an expert by any means but certainly allows for a deeper knowledge of things than I otherwise would have had by just watching on TV.

1)  I played guard and tackle - guarded the water table during games and made sure to tackle any one who was running out of bounds and heading for it before they got there.

2) If you read #1 then there is no need to answer any more questions......

14 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Did I know that?  If not, CONGRATULATIONS to you and the Mrs. (Not in that order, of course!)  SO COOL!

I'm sorry, chemo brain is real....

I don't know if you did or not! 

But yessir! Baby girl back in July!!!

https://www.aufamily.com/forums/topic/157519-post-a-picture/page/59/#comments

On 11/4/2019 at 6:38 PM, ToraGirl said:

Mods...this may need moving. I would love to know who in "FamilyLand"...

1. Played football in high school? Yes  Position?  Corner/Flanker/KO gunner/PAT upback/KOR upback/Punt protector/Punt return upback Years 4?

2. Played in college? No Same? Same?

3. Played pro?No

5. Is currently coaching football and where, if you can or care to share. 

I have learned TONS from those who can say NO to each of the above. But I am curious as to who has or is a YES on any of them.

*Tora, wife of a 8th/9th grade TE who scored the first TD at Heritage High in Conyers, GA, late 70's...who, like countless of you, has taught me a lot as well. He teaches me the GAME. I teach him the "SITUATION." 😉🤗

See bold in quote

Edit: Oh, I see where I failed to list all of the self-adulating qualities I had to go along with the answers. So, here goes:

1. I was invited to an official visit to Auburn in Coach Dye's 1st year during my senior year of HS (1981). It was the 3 QB LSU game (Hobby, Thomas, Sullivan). 

2. That's about it. Did I mention the official visit was for my HS teammate Yann Cowart? So, technically, I WAS invited, but it was by the prospect, not the school...:tease:  

I think Tora's real reason for asking these questions must have been to secretly see if we have anyone on here qualified to take over the Auburn HC job. Looks like we have a few that would be a step up.  

14 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

2 Kent State DB

3) Didn't go pro

Notre Dame fired George O'Leary for that.:roflol:

29 minutes ago, tw4au said:

I think Tora's real reason for asking these questions must have been to secretly see if we have anyone on here qualified to take over the Auburn HC job. Looks like we have a few that would be a step up.  

:dunno:  Or maybe just confirm that there is no one on this board who knows any more about the game than she does and therefore not to pay any attention to them when they take exception to her views......

12 minutes ago, AU64 said:

:dunno:  Or maybe just confirm that there is no one on this board who knows any more about the game than she does and therefore not to pay any attention to them when they take exception to her views......

I am sure you are fun at parties

7 hours ago, 1auburn1 said:

Class of ‘82 here!   I was captain of the worst team Lee ever had in ‘81.   Ha!    (I use that as an ice-breaking fun fact about me sometimes)

Our Lee teams during my days in the mid to late 70's were not very good either, but we had a lot of fun.

1. Played football in high school? Yes, more or less. Mostly less 😉 Position?  I was on the wrasslin' team, and the FB coaches didn't much care for the wrasslin' coach or team, so they put me wherever they thought would run me off the fastest. 😱 Like DT (I wrassled 130 lb) vs a all state caliber 220 lb C.

2. Played in college? No , outside of intramural

3. Played pro?No

5. Is currently coaching football and where, if you can or care to share. I just wrapped up a couple of years ago when my son moved on, but I coached 10 seasons in a local league founded by a bunch of ex-college players and coaches to develop their sons. I was one of only a handful of coaches or assistants who hadn't played D1. My OC played WR at Texas, for example. He and I alternated as HCs. His son is a possible D1-2 QB prospect now in HS. I learned a ton about strategy, playcalling, play design, the whole game. Fielded the best D in the league my last season and 2nd or 3rd best the year prior. Best praise I ever got was another veteran coach referring to my son as "That dadgum barn fire" because he was so disruptive on D, where we kept moving him between DE and LB to take advantage of certain situations. 

1) Yes played HS football, track, field, and tennis.  Tried out for baseball & basketball, but couldn't not swing in either of those sports so wasn't very good there.  This was in early 90s at a small school where short slow kids could still have a chance to have a good time

2) Didn't play college.  To short and slow

3) Professional at drinking but that is about it

4) Have coached football for rec and assisted with middle & high school.  But never HC or anything just loud mouth assistant

5) Nope.  

3 hours ago, DAG said:

I am sure you are fun at parties

😁 you'd be surprised.....

I played football in HS - WR and Corner/FS. I preferred defense but I wasn't fast enough to really compete at CB so I was mainly a sub in at WR when we needed a solid block on a LB/SS and I was on the kickoff coverage team and hands team for onside kicks. That's about it for me. lol

Archived