Calling All Coaches!

ToraGirl

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I played DE in a powderpuff game my senior year. My best friend was tight end and she held me all game!!! That's why I always want holding called!!! Also, I "sacked" the QB, the fastest girl in our school. That sounds wrong, but she really was quick. She ran track. I have no idea how I got to her.

That's extent of my football experience. I don't claim to know much more than that, other than what I have learned watching Auburn football, and watching my husband play on the "Wanderers" intramural team at Auburn. I'm still quite dubious about the expertise on here! 

43 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

I played DE in a powderpuff game my senior year. My best friend was tight end and she held me all game!!! That's why I always want holding called!!! Also, I "sacked" the QB, the fastest girl in our school. That sounds wrong, but she really was quick. She ran track. I have no idea how I got to her.

That's extent of my football experience. I don't claim to know much more than that, other than what I have learned watching Auburn football, and watching my husband play on the "Wanderers" intramural team at Auburn. I'm still quite dubious about the expertise on here! 

Me too 3rd Gen.  Anyone who takes me seriously gets what they pay for!

On 11/5/2019 at 9:34 AM, Eagle-1 said:

QB until 8th grade. Outgrew the position 🙂. Got moved to tackle in the 8th grade, and as Jerry Clower said, " Once a tackle always a tackle." Broke arm in ninth grade. Reinjured arm in tenth grade, and quit football to concentrate on golf. 

Played summer league American Legion baseball until 18 years old. Didn't play in the spring for high school, as it conflicted with golf schedule. 

3 years OC for a rec league team in Athens, GA in which we were two time area champions.

That should be experience enough for at least a $49 dollar buyout.

Smart move 

On 11/4/2019 at 11:25 PM, Texan4Auburn said:

1) Monogan, West Virginia DB

2 Kent State DB

3) Didn't go pro

4) Kent State, Syracuse, W. Virginia, Ohio State, Navy, Houston Oilers, Cleveland Browns, Miami Dolphins, Mich State, LSU

5) Can't tell you.... I pull all my strategies and philosophies from this board.

Do you mean Monongah, WV? Not sure were Monogan is located

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 11:25 PM, Texan4Auburn said:

1) Monogan, West Virginia DB

2 Kent State DB

3) Didn't go pro

4) Kent State, Syracuse, W. Virginia, Ohio State, Navy, Houston Oilers, Cleveland Browns, Miami Dolphins, Mich State, LSU

5) Can't tell you.... I pull all my strategies and philosophies from this board.

Nick Saban, is that you? 

Retired college football ref due to injury (MEAC 1 season after 2 decades reffing FL hs football). Retired FIFA level 5 soccer ref (almost 20 yrs). College soccer scholarship, coached travel hs/club soccer over 20 yrs. Letterman in hs soccer & track, played 1 yr hs football (walked on & canned quickly trying to kick for AU during Del Greco era), 2 seasons hs baseball. Broke nose twice playing youth hockey (eh?),  finished 23 triathlons (2 half ironman). Currently competitive rower (crew) since 2003 including Head of the Charles twice. Got triplets.😁🤪😖

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:
On 11/5/2019 at 9:34 AM, Eagle-1 said:

quit football to concentrate on golf. 

Smart move 

Wish I did...

10 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

Yeah, concentrated a little too much on the fairer sex though in those days. 

Understandable.........the girls love golfers. Had to handle a lot of moving parts at times in my day.....

Played HS Football sophomore and Junior Year Quantico , HS Virginia.  Senior Year Mission Bay , HS California. Played LB, Guard, Fullback.  Coached all kinds of Kids sports Baseball, Softball, Basketball, Soccer football.  Played Rugby from 1971 at Auburn till 2 years ago.  Have coached Mens Rugby teams as an assistant coach and Allen, HS Rugby Team as an assistant coach. Played intramural basketball when at Auburn but really more just pickup games. Played basketball for years including places like Birmingham, Al. and Compton, Ca. I was a really good athlete on basketball court who could defend, rebound, and run the court but was never a great shooter. If you were a shooter you wanted me on your teams as I set great picks and had good timing when I set the picks. Also played on HS golf team in Q.antico and mission bay and ran cross country at Quantico. Quantico was on the Marine base my dad was Navy. Cross country and football was at same time but we only had around 600 kids 7th grade through 12th so I would run in the Cross country meets but not practice with team because I would be at football practice. End of sophomore year really started to grow and Cross country career ended. 

I am good at judging individual player techniques in football but I am no place near as skilled in talking X's and O's as people like Bird.

On 11/5/2019 at 3:49 PM, Sully to Beasley said:

Our Lee teams during my days in the mid to late 70's were not very good either, but we had a lot of fun.

Mid 80's were good if your talking about the Generals.

I'm an AU intramural champion in both summer and fall. 

I dunked on myself from the free throw line! 

That last line isn't true at all......but I was kicked out of the act a few times for dunking because I don't know how it is now but back when I was in school there, there was a no dunking rule. That's my highlight!

49 minutes ago, cole256 said:

That last line isn't true at all......but I was kicked out of the act a few times for dunking because I don't know how it is now but back when I was in school there, there was a no dunking rule. That's my highlight!

I was banned from UCF’s ultimate frisbee league for being “too aggressive.” Sorry but if I’m tracking a frisbee and you’re in my path that’s on you to get out of the way or body up. It was for the better; I couldn’t throw or catch it all that well so I mostly pretended I was Derrell Revis with my own island and talked a lot of unnecessary smack.

Player the intramural Rugby for a bit too. Short lived but fun.

I have 30+ years of experience coaching in the SEC and the NFL. And I have done it all from the comfort of my recliner! 😉

I grew up the son of a HS coach so I literally grew up on a football field. I love football but coaching is a tough life, and there is little job security, so I knew from a young age I did not want to coach because I saw what my Dad went through.

I admire those who have the dedication to coach, but it´s not for me.

5 minutes ago, Dan-0 said:

I love football but coaching is a tough life, and there is little job security, 

tenor.gif

17 hours ago, cole256 said:

Kind of off topic, but when I was playing basketball in highschool, I dunked during warm-ups and got a technical foul (pretty sure that stupid rule isn't around anymore). So the opposing team shot two free throws before the tip...we ended up losing by 1 point lol. 

11 minutes ago, AubWes33 said:

Kind of off topic, but when I was playing basketball in highschool, I dunked during warm-ups and got a technical foul (pretty sure that stupid rule isn't around anymore). So the opposing team shot two free throws before the tip...we ended up losing by 1 point lol. 

That rule is definitely still around 

4 hours ago, AubWes33 said:

Happened to me in a freaking church league game once! I ended up kicked out of the game because of another tech later lol. 

On 11/4/2019 at 6:38 PM, ToraGirl said:

Mods...this may need moving. I would love to know who in "FamilyLand"...

1. Played football in high school?  Position? Years?

2. Played in college? Same? Same?

3. Played pro?

4. Has coached football at the high school or college level, and what position?

5. Is currently coaching football and where, if you can or care to share. 

I have learned TONS from those who can say NO to each of the above. But I am curious as to who has or is a YES on any of them.

*Tora, wife of a 8th/9th grade TE who scored the first TD at Heritage High in Conyers, GA, late 70's...who, like countless of you, has taught me a lot as well. He teaches me the GAME. I teach him the "SITUATION." 😉🤗

1. Played football in high school? YES  Position? FB and LB Years? 8 counting middle and youth.

2. Played in college? Same? Same? I wish :) 

3. Played pro? I wish :) 

4. Has coached football at the high school or college level, and what position? High School Special Teams and Linebackers 3 years, Head Coach middle school 5 years.

5. Is currently coaching football and where, if you can or care to share. No 

Played some BB and FB (not very well) when young, but my real love was swimming. 2 time state champion in 2 events during HS. Tore up my rotator in my senior year. Decided I'd rather be a hippie, play music, and enjoy sports involving coeds than deal with the proposed surgery and rehab.

Played football, WR (we called them Split Ends), and baseball, OF and P, in HS.  Walked on to Shug’s last team in ‘75 as a small, slow, JV Split End. That lasted until the first day in pads.  I tore my groin muscle.  That ended that. 

I co-coached a Softball Travel Team in late 80’s and early 90’s.  We finished 7th in a National Tournament in Houston.  I coached my son in Baseball and Football.   We finished 4th in Dixie Youth State Tournament when he was 11 and 3rd in Dizzy Dean State Tournament when he was 13. I also helped my wife coach my daughter’s Dixie Softball teams until she went to Middle School. Then I became a spectator watching both all the way through High School, Travel Ball and Junior College. 

Archived