Calling All Coaches!

ToraGirl

On 11/6/2019 at 5:45 PM, Sully to Beasley said:

Yes, I am talking about the Generals and the mid '80's was a great period for Lee football.

Spence McCracken left Lee as an assistant the season before I got there to go start Montgomery Academy's football program and lead them to greatness.  Came back to Lee 2-3 yrs after I left and led them to greatness.     Funny, it seems coaching matters.    Quite topical....

Speaking of coaches that matter, Joe Whitt was only our DB coach at Lee when Pat Dye hired him away from Lee before my senior year.    It's crazy to think someone would go from a HS position coach to a major program and stay for 20+ yrs.      I very clearly remember little "Jo Jo" as a toddler holding Coach Whitt's finger out onto the practice field. Got him started early and he's done QUITE well for himself! 

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, 1auburn1 said:

Spence McCracken left Lee as an assistant the season before I got there to go start Montgomery Academy's football program and lead them to greatness.  Came back to Lee 2-3 yrs after I left and led them to greatness.     Funny, it seems coaching matters.    Quite topical....

I was not a fan of ole Spence...

Being from Prattville, he gave us fits in the 80s. The only game we lost my senior year!

Our coach thought it wise to run up the middle on a 6-1 defense.  The 1 was Q. Riggins!

21 hours ago, cole256 said:

Happened to me in a freaking church league game once! I ended up kicked out of the game because of another tech later lol. 

LOL! I don't wanna hear you complain about our bball players talking to refs too much anymore bro!

1. QB started in 10th grade on (in Georgia)

2. Didn't play in college 

3. Gave up Football was drafted out of high school played 9 years in the majors as a starting pitcher ( Orioles, A's, Reds, Brewers)

4. nope 

5. Just travel ball for my kids 

Played football in park ball and then through Jr. High...offensive line, linebacker, some fullback.  Wrestled six years in Jr/Sr High School.  Wrestled in college (at AU).  Can't play a lick of Madden though...too old school...give me Pong any day!

18 hours ago, 1auburn1 said:

Speaking of coaches that matter, Joe Whitt was only our DB coach at Lee when Pat Dye hired him away from Lee before my senior year.    It's crazy to think someone would go from a HS position coach to a major program and stay for 20+ yrs.      I very clearly remember little "Jo Jo" as a toddler holding Coach Whitt's finger out onto the practice field. Got him started early and he's done QUITE well for himself! 

Coach Witt was destined for greatness. Man he was a tough old hombre to play for, but a great guy. As for Spence, I always believed he could have made it as a college coach just like Joe Witt did, unfortunately he never had the opportunity.

19 hours ago, 1auburn1 said:

Jo Jo was in my second-grade pre-teaching ("Do I Want To Do This For A Living--Exploratory?") class at Dean Road. Serious, quiet little intellectual... 1986-ish...I always wondered if he might return...

I was a 2 year starter at center on my middle school football team so I feel supremely qualified to talk about the Oline.  I’m basically the Cole Cubelic of this board.

10 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

Jo Jo was in my second-grade pre-teaching ("Do I Want To Do This For A Living--Exploratory?") class at Dean Road. Serious, quiet little intellectual... 1986-ish...I always wondered if he might return...

Hey  Tora Girl, I used to live in good ole Deatsville (Millbrook). We moved to North Alabama last year when I retired. I lived in the Montgomery area all of my life and I still miss many things about Central Alabama. 

1 minute ago, Sully to Beasley said:

Hey  Tora Girl, I used to live in good ole Deatsville (Millbrook). We moved to North Alabama last year when I retired. I lived in the Montgomery area all of my life and I still miss many things about Central Alabama. 

Hey!!!  That's so cool! I used to bring our two littles from Montgomery to the Millbrook "castle playground" years before we ever moved here...So you are familiar with Slapout...ahem, Holtville!! It's our neighbor! Come visit...all of the I-65 corridor is really blooming...

Played RB and DB in HS football and catcher in baseball. My Dad played catcher in AA baseball for the Atlanta Crackers.. I wrote the sports column for the Plainsman in 1957 when we won the NC. I got to know all the coaches and players and learned a lot from them. Since those days it has been mainly learning from attending AU practices and being a student of the game.

On 11/7/2019 at 11:30 AM, Dan-0 said:

I have 30+ years of experience coaching in the SEC and the NFL. And I have done it all from the comfort of my recliner! 😉

I grew up the son of a HS coach so I literally grew up on a football field. I love football but coaching is a tough life, and there is little job security, so I knew from a young age I did not want to coach because I saw what my Dad went through.

I admire those who have the dedication to coach, but it´s not for me.

Totally agree, though you have to agree for the most part on the University level you recieve better than a goldtone Seiko for forced retirement.

Like you I admire those who have the dedication.......high stress position for sure.

11 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

Hey!!!  That's so cool! I used to bring our two littles from Montgomery to the Millbrook "castle playground" years before we ever moved here...So you are familiar with Slapout...ahem, Holtville!! It's our neighbor! Come visit...all of the I-65 corridor is really blooming...

Good ole Slapout. Best town nickname in the country! We moved to Millbrook/Deatsville when our kids were young and raised them there. They are now both AU grads and are living and working in the Auburn area. We sent them to school there and they never left!

1. Played football and baseball all through HS. QB, RB, CB, KR, P

2. Played a little over a year of college baseball. OF

3. No

4. No

5. No

Helped coach kids' teams in flag football, soccer, baseball, basketball an softball over the years, but never desired to step in at the HS level at any sport.  Have a ton of respect for folks out there who do take the time and effort to be a HC. They, like teachers, are on the front lines teaching our kids a lot more about life than just sports and academics. Pre-teen and teen maturity, focus and behavior aren't the easiest things to corral. 

18 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Played RB and DB in HS football and catcher in baseball. My Dad played catcher in AA baseball for the Atlanta Crackers.. I wrote the sports column for the Plainsman in 1957 when we won the NC. I got to know all the coaches and players and learned a lot from them. Since those days it has been mainly learning from attending AU practices and being a student of the game.

I'm sure you must remember Ed Dyas R.I.P...........great bedside manner he had.

1 hour ago, Sully to Beasley said:

Good ole Slapout. Best town nickname in the country! We moved to Millbrook/Deatsville when our kids were young and raised them there. They are now both AU grads and are living and working in the Auburn area. We sent them to school there and they never left!

Out of reactions, but love it! Our two are SEHS alums...youngest, an AU junior set to graduate December 2020...oldest a Faulkner grad, teaching history and civics at Millbrook Junior High. Auburn gets into you for far more than the pigskin! 😃

On 11/9/2019 at 8:20 AM, Sully to Beasley said:

Coach Witt was destined for greatness. Man he was a tough old hombre to play for, but a great guy. As for Spence, I always believed he could have made it as a college coach just like Joe Witt did, unfortunately he never had the opportunity.

Coach Witt was also an OUTSTANDING wrestling coach...dude was multi-talented and a bad azz!

On 11/8/2019 at 3:14 PM, JJB74 said:

1. QB started in 10th grade on (in Georgia)

2. Didn't play in college 

3. Gave up Football was drafted out of high school played 9 years in the majors as a starting pitcher ( Orioles, A's, Reds, Brewers)

4. nope 

5. Just travel ball for my kids 

I'm impressed! War Eagle!

On 11/11/2019 at 3:31 PM, Ravad said:

I'm impressed! War Eagle!

Thank you .......God Blessed me with a strong arm is all I can say .....My fast ball was 94-95 MPH in high school

Played on both DL & OL bigger than a lot of folks I played with and against. Used to be really fast until a knee injury in the US Coast Guard for a big ole boy. Now I am just tall and skinny! Once ran a 4.92 forty in HS. Now I would be lucky to run a 4.92 in twenty yards after a big bowl of wheaties!

3 hours ago, JJB74 said:

Thank you .......God Blessed me with a strong arm is all I can say .....My fast ball was 94-95 MPH in high school

I hated to bat against pitchers who threw over 70 mph!  Because I was tall, I used to get brushed back at the plate more than I cared for. Got hit a lot in the back and shoulder area trying to duck down away from fast balls coming at me. The fastest pitcher I faced in HS threw around 88-90 mph with a ton of movement. I was hit in the back the 2nd time around when I faced him.  The worst pain I ever experienced was being hit with a softball while playing fast pitch softball. That grapefruit sized ball really hurt!  I love baseball very much and keep up with the Braves and the Oakland A's.  I became an A's fan back in the day of Billy Ball in the 70s. That was when Billy Martin coached the A's. He was a very entertaining manager to say the least. Probably way before your time my friend! I am an old dude at 63 years of age.

WDE!

Doc

53 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

I hated to bat against pitchers who threw over 70 mph!  Because I was tall, I used to get brushed back at the plate more than I cared for. Got hit a lot in the back and shoulder area trying to duck down away from fast balls coming at me. The fastest pitcher I faced in HS threw around 88-90 mph with a ton of movement. I was hit in the back the 2nd time around when I faced him.  The worst pain I ever experienced was being hit with a softball while playing fast pitch softball. That grapefruit sized ball really hurt!  I love baseball very much and keep up with the Braves and the Oakland A's.  I became an A's fan back in the day of Billy Ball in the 70s. That was when Billy Martin coached the A's. He was a very entertaining manager to say the least. Probably way before your time my friend! I am an old dude at 63 years of age.

WDE!

Doc

you are not old.....you are in your prime....I'm 45

One year during the spring I was in Arizona and my cousin came out to hang out with me....he played baseball in high school and college, was a pretty good catcher.....

he wanted to hit against me and a two seam fast ball got away from me and hit him in the back just below the ribs.....couple days went by and I finally made him go to the hospital to get it checked out.....He had gangrene in his lung and a broken rib. they had to open him up and scrape the infection off his lung.......now he has a U shape scare from his back to his stomach that looks like he was bite by a shark......That was in 98 and I still feel bad about it tho this day.

Archived