CFP Stunner

tomcat

I was a bit taken aback that Auburn was ranked 11 in the CFP poll. While I’ve been disillusioned with Gus and my perception of what this team could/should be, apparently the rest of the country has a different opinion.

could the majority of us be over reaching? I don’t know. While happy to see this ranking, it does not jive with my gut feeling.

Board thoughts?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Initial rankings mean nothing. Look for the ranking after playing the turds. That will show everything we need to know about this year. Things are about to get either really ugly or really pretty. 

2 minutes ago, tomcat said:

I was a bit taken aback that Auburn was ranked 11 in the CFP poll. While I’ve been disillusioned with Gus and my perception of what this team could/should be, apparently the rest of the country has a different opinion.

could the majority of us be over reaching? I don’t know. While happy to see this ranking, it does not jive with my gut feeling.

Board thoughts?

It's never as good or as bad as it looks and it's looked pretty bad at times but the fact is that a little better play by Bo coupled with some adapting by Gus and this team is in the top 4. Ranked #11 is not a stretch to me but "oh what could have been" is the story of Auburn football too many times.

they are just being nice because they all know there are plenty of opportunities for us to lose and drop to our rightful place. yes meaningless as stated earlier for true measure of the team vs every other.

But secondly and more importantly its ranking inflation to "build up" our remaining big games. Please reference this game...BIGGEST GAME LIKE, E-VER!!!!!!!!!!!

I think we as a fan base are definitely too close to it, but at the same time we see the problems more clearly, too. It's a double edged sword. I also have no doubts whatsoever they are trying to build AU-UGA into a top 10 battle, and also boost Bama and LSU's resumes as well. I think we are a fringe top 10 team in all honesty.

Not counting the top 10 - who would you put ahead of us? Which of the 12-25 do you think is markedly better? 

The offense is middle of the pack, but the defense would throttle any one of those teams.

I still believe that if we win out and LSU wins out, we backdoor in to #4. Many of the others ahead of us will play each other giving us a lane to move up. Our ridiculous SOS will give us points, especially if we have 3 wins over top 10 teams (Oregon, UAT, UGA).

Based on having beaten the PAC 12 favorite and losing two games on the road to Top 10 teams, our ranking makes sense.  We're the highest ranked two loss team and have the benefit of the doubt based on playing three top 10 teams so far as currently ranked.

However, because we as fans see how we've lost those games (being the same trends for several years now), it's more frustrating to us than it would be to the rest of the country.

2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

However, because we as fans see how we've lost those games (being the same trends for several years now), it's more frustrating to us than it would be to the rest of the country.

I keep trying to explain this to the “Why do you want to get rid of Gus?” fans of other teams. Granted, I’m surrounded by UTk, Ole Miss, and Arkansas fans...so it really just sounds like I’m being petty to them. 

We're ranked correctly. We have a good team, fan bitterness to the contrary. For AU to win out and make it to #4 would take a near perfect sequence of losses by those teams above us. If we do win out, I'd see us at around #6, or maybe even 5 in the final rankings. We'd have to catch an unreal number of breaks to make it into the top 4 and the playoffs.

I think they got #1 right too. I've watched Ohio State a couple of times this season and they are the real deal.

2 hours ago, leglessdan said:

Our defense gives us a chance to win every game....period. They're THAT good.

I was watching an SEC network segment on the LSU/Bama game and they were using Auburn’s defensive gameplay against LSU as a blueprint for Bama to follow. Kudos to Steele,

3 hours ago, SphyNxXx said:

I still believe that if we win out and LSU wins out, we backdoor in to #4. Many of the others ahead of us will play each other giving us a lane to move up. Our ridiculous SOS will give us points, especially if we have 3 wins over top 10 teams (Oregon, UAT, UGA).

If we can get some help I could definitely see this. I am not banking on it...we need to win out and we need LSU to win out...but if those two happen, chips could fall....I remember after beating UGA in 2013 thinking if we beat Bama, win the SECCG, and have a couple other things happen we are in....SHO NUFF

6 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

I just want to beat Georgia.

I know that this has probably been mentioned before, but under CGM, Auburn has never lost a regular season game after a bye week.

Personal disclaimer: As the investment firms say - Prior history is no indicative of future performance.

8 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Based on having beaten the PAC 12 favorite and losing two games on the road to Top 10 teams, our ranking makes sense.  We're the highest ranked two loss team and have the benefit of the doubt based on playing three top 10 teams so far as currently ranked.

Florida is the highest ranked 2 loss team. Obviously since they beat us, that’s pretty appropriate. You point remains correct though. 

We have ‘quality losses’ to two top 10 teams and a quality win against one at a neutral site. The ranking isn’t all that surprising and head-to-head we beat most teams without stellar defenses. Unfortunately, how we compare to teams we don’t actually play is irrelevant.

If you know how brackets work, 1 goes against 4 and 2 against 3. They know Alabama v LSU and Penn State v Ohio Stater are already happening in the regular season. So now they can bill both those games as ‘preliminary rounds’ of the playoff. Which is how both will be marketed and ratings will be astounding for both. The only debate they had was should it be:

1. LSU 2. Ohio State 3. Penn a State 4. Alabama 

or

1. Ohio State 2. LSU 3. Alabama 4. Penn State

I think they felt putting Penn State over Alabama might be too hard of a sell. The potential is there but they haven’t been ‘that’ good as of late. These rankings aren’t made by football enthusiasts and experts. They’re made by businessmen and schemers.

Auburn being higher ranked also boosts Georgia’s resume if they manage to beat us. It also makes it seem like Georgia isn’t overrated if we beat them. It’s a lot of 4D chess and if you don’t believe so I have some timeshares in my area I’d like to tell you about. 

The panel that ranks the playoff positions isn't made up of voters with some vested interest in TV ratings. I don't see the ratings as rigged for TV or for any other purpose. They look very legit to me.

https://collegefootballplayoff.com/sports/2017/10/16/selection-committee.aspx

55 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Florida is the highest ranked 2 loss team. Obviously since they beat us, that’s pretty appropriate. You point remains correct though. 

Forgot they lost twice somehow.  Good call.

11 hours ago, tomcat said:

I was a bit taken aback that Auburn was ranked 11 in the CFP poll

Why? We have 2 losses. Strength of schedule isn't a huge factor for the committee, thats why Bama and UGA schedule the easiest opponents possible. We also looked weak against Ole Miss and lost to LSU. 

3 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

Why? We have 2 losses. Strength of schedule isn't a huge factor for the committee, thats why Bama and UGA schedule the easiest opponents possible. We also looked weak against Ole Miss and lost to LSU. 

So why is Minnesota 17?

Archived