Joey Gatewood considering UK

AUsince72

Just a nugget in my feed... Enjoy!

https://www.aseaofblue.com/2019/11/6/20949597/auburn-tigers-news-joey-gatewood-kentucky-wildcats

Is Auburn transfer Joey Gatewood a possibility for Kentucky?
The former top-50 recruit is leaving Auburn and appears interested in the Cats.

By Nick Wheatley@NickWheatley23  Nov 6, 2019, 7:00am EST
@nickwheatley23

The Kentucky Wildcats have had their fair share of issues at the quarterback position this season.

Nik Scalzo suffered a season-ending knee injury in training camp. Terry Wilson suffered a season-ending knee injury in the second game of the year. And Sawyer Smith has dealt with both wrist and shoulder issues since week three.

Apparently, Walker Wood isn’t even somewhat serviceable at this moment in time, and Amani Gilmore appears to be a long-term project. That’s left the Cats with wide receiver Lynn Bowden as QB1 for the time being.

As you can see, there are a lot of bodies, and some solid talent, in the quarterback room in Lexington. However, you can never have enough. Quarterbacks transfer and get hurt. Kentucky lost two backups this past offseason alone in Gunnar Hoak and Danny Clark.

Quarterback is arguably the most important position on the field, as they touch the ball every single play on offense. Having talent and depth at the position is pivotal to success. And that’s why Mark Stoops and Co. will be interested in any and all options that may become available, even with four-star Beau Allen coming in 2020.

That’s where Joey Gatewood comes in.

Gatewood is a 6-5, 233-pound quarterback out of Jacksonville, Florida. According to the 247Sports Composite Rankings, he was the No. 49 overall recruit in the class of 2018.

He actually committed to the Auburn Tigers way back in December 2015 and stayed committed until he signed in December 2017. Now, that’s a commitment for ya.

Gatewood enrolled early at Auburn in January 2018. However, despite his loyalty to the Tigers, they went out and picked up a commitment from the No. 1 dual-threat QB in the class of 2019 — Bo Nix. Nix was the No. 33 overall player in the 2019 class.

After sitting a season behind Jarrett Stidham, Gatewood was widely expected to win the starting QB job this fall. That didn’t happen, as Nix has taken the reins and has kept it, even through some brutal performances that had people calling for Gatewood to get his shot.

And on October 30th, Gatewood announced he’d be leaving Auburn and would be entering his name in the NCAA transfer portal.

Joey Gatewood

@Joey1gatewood
Jeremiah 29:11

View image on Twitter
6:48 PM - Oct 30, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
1,385 people are talking about this
This is strictly reading tea leaves, but it looks like Kentucky is starting to get involved.

Justin Rowland

@RowlandRIVALS
View image on TwitterView image on TwitterView image on Twitter
10:03 AM - Nov 4, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
32 people are talking about this
As you can see, one of Gatewood’s newest followers is recent transfer Kelvin Joseph. Since then, Lynn Bowden has also followed the former four-star ATH after retweeting his transfer announcement on Twitter. He followed both players back, as well as Vince Marrow.

Also, KSR’s Matt Jones said on the radio Tuesday morning that Kentucky is “heavily involved” with a big-name transfer. Jones didn’t specify who, but it’s almost certainly Gatewood.

Later, Rivals recruiting report Woody Wommack discussed potential transfer options for Gatewood, including Kentucky, but also mentioned the Florida Gators and Florida State Seminoles for the Sunshine State native.

What does all this mean? Maybe, nothing. But when there’s smoke, there’s usually fire.

Maybe Gatewood will end up elsewhere and it will all be for naught. However, as of right now, it looks like UK has a real chance at what would arguably be the best player Stoops has landed since he’s been in Lexington.

Let’s keep our fingers crossed.

3 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Didn’t see you had posted this in rivals lol. I posted the tweet in Gatewood thread 

I saw that, no worries.  Not much traffic here anyway, LOL!

46 minutes ago, Zeek said:

He can do better

Some would say by leaving Auburn, he is doing better! :poke:

Saw where he'll visit Florida as well. That would be an awesome fit for Gatewood.

UK campus and Bluegrass region is a dream environment...I would not want to live in Gainesville. Prayers for Joey's best fit! 

UK and UF would be great fits for him. Stoops and Mullen's offenses are perfect for him and they'll make tweaks as needed to make the fit even better. Smart move by Joey to look there.

On 11/7/2019 at 10:05 AM, Zeek said:

Saw where he'll visit Florida as well. That would be an awesome fit for Gatewood.

I agree. Mullens a douchebag but he can probably get the most out out of Gatewood. 

Joey will win the Heisman at Fl. It’s Karma 

32 minutes ago, WarTim said:

Joey will win the Heisman at Fl. It’s Karma 

I’d cheer for him the entire way

3 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I’d cheer for him the entire way

Me too. 

On 11/8/2019 at 8:47 PM, ToraGirl said:

UK campus and Bluegrass region is a dream environment...I would not want to live in Gainesville. Prayers for Joey's best fit! 

I lived in Lexington for 5 yrs and hated it. Traffic was awful bc of the 122 million red lights!

5 hours ago, doug3020 said:

I lived in Lexington for 5 yrs and hated it. Traffic was awful bc of the 122 million red lights!

I can respect that! Like wheel spokes are all of those "pikes." But I still run right back every chance I get. Precious people, precious memories, gorgeous scenery!!

Archived