Question for Urban Meyer Fans.

AUsince72

NOTE: Originally in another thread but decided to make an OP since I'm genuinely curious....

Okay, question to those who still want UM.... it's been bugging me.

First let me get it out there that I understand the fascination with Urban.  He has proven to be a fantastic coach and recruiter.  He is still relatively young and SHOULD have a lot of years to offer a lot of great coaching.  I get that.

However, he's proven to be a one of three things.

1. A job whore. Which, face it, there's nothing wrong with that in the 2000's except he's been at two very prestigious jobs already (one probably considered one of the premier jobs in the nation in tOSU) and left them both in a lurch when things weren't so easy anymore.  So NOW, both USCw (definitely) & Notre Dame (potentially) want him and heck, you KNOW his name's now gonna come up for the FSU (& Auburn, maybe) jobs eventually.

2. A quitter.  He didn't leave UF nor tOSU on good terms*.  He left UF when Saban was taking off and he ran out of Tim Tebows (& couldn't beat Auburn, LOL!) and tOSU when he got some bad press. 

*Naturally he had nice excuses for each flight (POTENTIALLY....not saying he really does or does not have the medical issues because obviously I don't know) so though both schools, I assume, were understanding because of said medical drama but I'm certain the UF PTB at least privately all said "WTF MAN!!!" when he suddenly was all healthy and ready to go when the OSU job opened only what?...1-2 yrs later?  And now, tOSU leadership are probably going "uhhhhhh..... what's up with you're suddenly healthy enough to coach?"...again, only 1-2 yrs later. I mean, if he's healthy enough to coach his other dream schools then maybe he should be paying back UF & tOSU whatever parting money he received.  Bet he didn't/doesn't...

3. A ticking time bomb.  Okay, so I'll give the benefit of the doubt here.  The man claims a bad heart and a bad brain.  Clearly he has a thing for the Wizard of Oz as next maybe he'll quit and actually admit he has no courage? :rimshot:  Okay, that's a shot and this is the "benefit of the doubt" talking point, sorry.  So, I'm sorry but the PTB at any school that hires him, if he's truly honest about these health issues, should probably be arrested for homicide if he suddenly keels over during a game or practice.  This dude's got bigger health issues than ME!

Anyway, that's why I just can't see why anyone would want to hire him at this point.  No matter the real truth....he has PROVEN that he cannot be counted on.  Unless maybe he signs with someone like Notre Dame, where he can create his own, cherry picked, creampuff schedule.  On second thought...Notre Dame IS the perfect job for him!

So, does none of that matter?  Does one think Auburn (or any school) would actually get to keep him for more than a small handful of seasons before his next health scare?

38 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

So, does none of that matter?  Does one think Auburn (or any school) would actually get to keep him for more than a small handful of seasons before his next health scare?

He’s 187-32 as a head coach. 3 National Championships and 2 undefeated season. But he has the flaws you mentioned. Gus has great character and has proven he wants to stay at AU. But he is 69-32 as a head coach. Love it or hate it, college football is a passion like few other things and it is all about winning. Short answer, with Urban’s resume a lot of team will overlook the flaws and a potential early departure for the results he gets. 

17 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

He’s 187-32 as a head coach. 3 National Championships and 2 undefeated season. But he has the flaws you mentioned. Gus has great character and has proven he wants to stay at AU. But he is 69-32 as a head coach. Love it or hate it, college football is a passion like few other things and it is all about winning. Short answer, with Urban’s resume a lot of team will overlook the flaws and a potential early departure for the results he gets. 

Yes, his resume is stellar.  I certainly grant that.  I'd take him in a heart beat.....if'n I didn't have to constantly worry about said heart beat.

But you're right, success & potential (obviously) makes otherwise smart PsTB overlook fatal flaws.

I'd certainly take him at Auburn but his contract would have to be the inverse of Gus'.

I'm not sure how I feel about him anymore. I was anti, because even though he won big at UF, he seemed to leave that program in bad shape.

But then he seemed to leave Ohio State in really good shape, even if his departure was another weird one.

And that's more important to me than how long a guy stays. If he comes here for 3-4 years, wins big, gets an NFL or Texas/Michigan offer (or "health condition" or "family situation") that he can't refuse, and leaves us with a championship and a lot of talent to show for it? Hell yeah. 

But if we're looking at a 4-year rebuild after he's gone? Hell nah. I wouldn't willingly sign on for that. 

I just don't know which kind of guy Meyer actually is. I think I'd have a hard time pulling for him. But maybe that would change as soon as we beat uga and bama. I just don't know. 

Urban is a known quantity by now and that would have to be taken into consideration if we were to hire him.  The up side is he, more than likely, is going to take you into the CFB playoffs and may win one.  He will build a solid program while he is here.  Of course you will not know when he will leave, so you will have to be ready for a new hire in two years or so; but is that a bad thing?  

Another good thing about Urban is he can change the culture of a program from mediocre expectations to championship expectations and a school can build on that knowing he may leave in 2 years.  He hires excellent assistant coaches that can carry on after said departure.  He has done it at Utah, OSU and Mullen is now U of F’s HC.

He is like a Metabolic Trainer type of coach, go hard until you can’t and rest until you can.  You know what you are getting and the contract will have to reflect that. 

Edit: I really don’t think our PTB would want him, but he is a good coach while he is motivated. 

1 hour ago, Randman5000 said:

I don't care, he's a winner and I want to win.

Baggage yes, but he'll be gone in three years anyway for Notre Dame

I both understand your desire and you seem to understand my non-desire, LOL

He was covering for drug abusers, sexual abusers, and other criminals at UF, including one that ended up in prison for murder. He was covering for a wife-abusing assistant at tOSU. The man can flat out coach football, but wherever he goes, they'll have to chain an ethics monitor to him.

On 11/10/2019 at 2:08 PM, AURex said:

He was covering for drug abusers, sexual abusers, and other criminals at UF, including one that ended up in prison for murder. He was covering for a wife-abusing assistant at tOSU. The man can flat out coach football, but wherever he goes, they'll have to chain an ethics monitor to him.

Yep. And look at how he’s viewed personally and professionally versus Hugh Freeze. Winning allows too many eyes to close and backs to turn. It isn’t worth it, in my mind. I’m anti-Meyer.

I don't want him at Auburn under any circumstances. The reasons are many and they are public knowledge, no need to enumerate them again.

21 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I don't want him at Auburn under any circumstances. The reasons are many and they are public knowledge, no need to enumerate them again.

Well how 'bout that....it's chilly in Hades.  We agree on something! 

I don’t think you could find a better “coach “ that would change the culture of Auburn football.   I just don’t think he would want the job.   It’s obvious to me that there is something wrong with how AU hires coaches (meddling or something that else), but it’s interesting that Auburn has never gotten a proven championship proven coach to take over the program 

On 11/6/2019 at 3:19 PM, I_M4_AU said:

I really don’t think our PTB would want him, but he is a good coach while he is motivated. 

I believe you are right sir!

Archived