Wiley— Gotta play tougher and meaner!

toddc

8 hours ago, LKEEL75 said:

To anyone with an opinion (if there are any of those on the internet)

Do you believe that Wiley's struggles will have other bigs thinking that its a system problem and not want to come to AU?

Yes it will make us less likely to get bigs that don’t fit our system.  There are plenty of college teams around the country that post up guys and play through the post. Purdue usually has some bigs, Wisconsin, Texas in recent years, Florida is doing with Blackshear, and there are more as well.  I don’t think it hurts Auburn though. CBP has a system and it is working for us. A big post can fit in our system, as @cole256 and I have talked about in the past, but it will hurt us if Wiley continues to struggle. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My concern with AW has nothing to do with his movement, hell hes damn near 7 feet tall and he is not wearing a tutu and involved in ballet....Its his hands that concern me and i wonder if its something beside a strength or coordination issue...I am deadass serious when i suggest another possibility and that would be "sweaty palms."....I don't care how it sounds, because a dude that has hit the weight room like AW obviously has, ain't gonna have weak hands!...Is "stickem" still legal to use, or something similar?...Some people sweat more than others and have smoother palms.....Hes way too strong to lose the ball like he does, theres another underlying issue somewhere

After watching Wiley the last two games he is coming along pretty well.  Like many have mentioned Wiley's hands aren't great yet and he brings the ball down way too much and loses it, but he still should be a double-double machine just about every game.  His touch on shooting has improved a little, and if improves his free throw shooting a little more and maybe learns to keep the ball up high when under the basket I think we will see his points per game increase by 25% or more.  

Wiley has looked better in last two games. The Colgate game he played against a more traditional Center and did a great job of shielding him and making himself available for the pass. The passes to him improved also.  This team is learning to play together while it is true  we are stating 4 seniors because of  graduation, probation and injuries they have not played a lot of games together. Wiley spent a year out on probation DP even more both have been hurt on and off J'Von is first year as a starter and Okoro is a freshman.   Samir is in his second year.  This is basically first time the starting group has played together and it will take time for them to meld together. The way they played in last two games surprised me with how good their chemistry is. Then add so many new players off the bench I am tickled pink with what I have seen so far including the less than stellar game against South Alabama as you learn a lot about a team when they have an off game but still find a way to win.

I don't know how far they will go but I love what I have seen so far especially the defensive effort in first half against Colgate.  

Archived