2020 4* QB Jacolby Criswell (UNC commit)

Sizzle

Tigers offer North Carolina QB commit

By Keith Niebuhr
9279446.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offs
QB target Jacolby Criswell. (Photo: 247Sports)

Auburn, which wants to add a second quarterback to the 2020 recruiting class, put out a new offer Thursday night. It went to Jacolby Criswell, a 4-star signal caller from Morrilton (Ark.) who currently is committed to North Carolina.

The 6-feet-1/2, 218-pound Criswell is the No. 11 dual-threat quarterback in the country for the industry generated 247Sports Composite.

The offer came from Tigers coach Gus Malzahn.

The same day news broke one week ago that backup Auburn quarterback Joey Gatewood was leaving the Auburn program, Malzahn was on the phone with Criswell. That day, Criswell told Auburn Undercover he has communicated with the Tigers for several months and thought an offer was possible.

“By the way they’ve been keeping in contact with me, I feel they want me,” Criswell said at the time. “I’m pretty sure they knew their quarterback would end up leaving. I’m committed right now. I wouldn’t say my options are open, but I’ve looked into Auburn ever since."

During that same interview, Criswell said if Auburn offered, he "probably" would visit.

With Auburn, a few things stand out.

“It’s basically a winning tradition,” Criswell said. “And Coach Malzahn, he’s an Arkansas guy. Any coach that has any family ties with Arkansas, that’s a good connection. Also, I’ve always wanted to go to a top-tier program.”

Criswell and Auburn offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Kenny Dillingham go back a bit. While at Memphis, Dillingham's previous stop, he recruited Criswell hard.

“Basically,” Criswell noted, “That was my first offer.”

Criswell previously has visited Auburn “two or three times” and attended the Auburn-Oregon game this August in Texas.

Entering last week, Criswell had completed 65 percent of his pass attempts for more than 1,900 yards, with 17 touchdowns and 3 interceptions. Additionally, he had rushed for 700-plus yards.

This summer, Criswell competed at The Opening Finals in Texas. While there, he formed a good bond with one of his receivers — Ze’Vian Capers. Capers committed to the Tigers during that event, but officially visited North Carolina last month.

“We’re really good buddies,” Criswell said. “We talk a lot. We were just at North Carolina together. We’re pretty close with each other.”

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Damnit @Sizzle & @toddc. You're both taking my thunder.

I thought you were out till the weekend. Sorry brother 

Just now, ellitor said:

As far as updating the OP of the recruiting thread that takes time yes. Something big like a QB offer no. I was in the midst of creating a thread for Criswell then in the midst of posting Keith's article when your respective posts came through.

Oh, I misunderstood your comment about the weekend. I’m more than good leaving recruiting to you.

My bad on my thread. We’re all fast on it tonight. I know E had mentioned this kid a few times before. Makes sense we move forward now. Do we know if getting this kid would affect Garnett?

9 minutes ago, toddc said:

Oh, I misunderstood your comment about the weekend. I’m more than good leaving recruiting to you.

You're fine. I'm just busting your chops.

3 minutes ago, Zeek said:

My bad on my thread. We’re all fast on it tonight. I know E had mentioned this kid a few times before. Makes sense we move forward now. Do we know if getting this kid would affect Garnett?

All we know right now is in Keith's story.

9 hours ago, toddc said:

“By the way they’ve been keeping in contact with me, I feel they want me,” Criswell said at the time. “I’m pretty sure they knew their quarterback would end up leaving

Worth pointing out.

I hope we stay on him. Still like our 2021 guy better but he is a huge upgrade over Cord as a backup and looks like a solid runner as well.

I love ALL recruits who know that we are Auburn University and not the University of Auburn. Sign him up. 

I am petty and just want to flip him because they got Simpson from us. Would not make up the difference but hey it would be a big start. 

12 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

On Twitter he said he’s still solid to UNC despite the offer 

Meaningless unless backed up by intel from Keith. Of course he's going to say that or something similar on twitter.

33 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I am petty and just want to flip him because they got Simpson from us. Would not make up the difference but hey it would be a big start. 

With Joey gone & the youth & development we have had on current LBs on roster one could say Criuswell has become a more important target for us in the class.

5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

With Joey gone & the youth & development we have had on current LBs on roster one could say Criuswell has become a more important target for us in the class.

Don't tell Mikey

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Don't tell Mikey

He doesn't have to, I keep up. We do need to sign one more in this class to make up for the loss of Simpson. Other than that, LB is looking better than it has since Josh Bynes was an Auburn Tiger.

PS: We have up to eight open slots if we want to use them. Signing a second QB and a third LB are not in conflict.

7 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Signing a second QB and a third LB are not in conflict.

It is with Gus limiting us to 25 in the class for now. And the rest of us know he's stubborn enough to not adjust on that.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

It is with Gus limiting us to 25 in the class for now. And the rest of us know he's stubborn enough to not adjust on that.

25 is nothing but an arbitrary, self imposed limit for ideal circumstances. Example: Get 25 on board and and Simpson wants to flip back to AU and it'll be 26 in a heartbeat. After that, let that 5* TE from Atlanta want to flip to AU from LSU and it'll be 27 and we all, Gus included, will be laughing all the way to the bank. I've never seen arbitrary limits at total numbers or positions that weren't flexible in adjusting to some unexpected situation.

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

25 is nothing but an arbitrary, self imposed limit for ideal circumstances. Example: Get 25 on board and and Simpson wants to flip back to AU and it'll be 26 in a heartbeat. After that, let that 5* TE from Atlanta want to flip to AU from LSU and it'll be 27 and we all, Gus included, will be laughing all the way to the bank. I've never seen arbitrary limits at total numbers or positions that weren't flexible in adjusting to some unexpected situation.

Gus not included. 25 is a hard line he has set for now & his own damn history of insane stubbornness says he's stubborn enough to keep it if he is dead set on holding 2 spots for transfers or for some other wacky ass Gus reason.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Gus not included. 25 is a hard line he has set for now & his own damn history of insane stubbornness says he's stubborn enough to keep it if he is dead set on holding 2 spots for transfers or for some other wacky ass Gus reason.

25 won't hold up under what I posted above. Even less extreme circumstances than that and 25 won't hold up. The limit is 27. If we can't get there, we can't get there and saving two for some uncertain future is just a good excuse for not reaching 27. Your disdain for Auburn's coach is ruining your judgement on this issue.

I'm not going to argue with you Mikey because the topic & your trolling for arguments' sake is not worth it. I will say this though your loyalty to Gus is admirable & is as stubborn as he is. It does blind you to some realities when it comes to Gus though & this is one of them.

Archived