What will it take for us to beat UGA?

gr82b4au

In their last 4 games thUGA has scored 17, 24, 21, and 27. With our defense I don’t see them scoring more than 20 if that. We can’t lose the turnover battle that will be key for this game.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, leglessdan said:

With this defense we have, if our offense could just generate slightly above average point production we would absolutely be dominating. I'm not concerned with individual players comparison. Utilized properly I'm pretty damn confident in the squad we have on the roster.

Magic words “if our offense could”.   When using the word dominate, I think of winning without giving the other team any chance of winning and the game never be in doubt.   I just don’t see how you can look at AU’s overall team and say that they are going to “dominate “ any of the top teams in football. 

3 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Magic words “if our offense could”.   When using the word dominate, I think of winning without giving the other team any chance of winning and the game never be in doubt.   I just don’t see how you can look at AU’s overall team and say that they are going to “dominate “ any of the top teams in football. 

Ok bud, we'll just agree to disagree. Like I said "if". And alot of that "if" has absolutely nothing to do with the talent of the players or lack thereof. But the defeatist attitude doesn't surprise me.

1 hour ago, leglessdan said:

Ok bud, we'll just agree to disagree. Like I said "if". And alot of that "if" has absolutely nothing to do with the talent of the players or lack thereof. But the defeatist attitude doesn't surprise me.

Not sure how or why or defeatist thing came about, I’m only stating that how can anyone with an objective opinion look at this game and say “Auburn will dominate “ .   I’m not sure what the spread is for the game, but I’m willing to bet Auburn is not favored.   Now that in no way will determine who wins or loses the game, but it is an objective opinion of who is probably the better team.   

And earlier you mentioned that you wouldn’t break down individual players, so I’m not sure how you can say a team will dominate another team without comparing talent on each team.

I will be cheering as hard as anyone for Auburn to win.  I’m just not the kind of fan that doesn’t see the flaws in my own team and overstates how good or well they can perform  

AU did dominate UGA in the first meeting 2 years ago. It would seem a lot of that had to do with Fromm being a freshman and our loud crowd getting to him. I would think he is seasoned enough to handle the crowd this year if his support players (WRs mainly) do their part. Their running back could have a big day. It will be interesting to watch.

Run the ball.  That is the key.

Ga struggled against a dominant D-line in USCe, so hope for a low scoring old school game where we can wear them down.  

5 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Not sure how or why or defeatist thing came about, I’m only stating that how can anyone with an objective opinion look at this game and say “Auburn will dominate “ .   I’m not sure what the spread is for the game, but I’m willing to bet Auburn is not favored.   Now that in no way will determine who wins or loses the game, but it is an objective opinion of who is probably the better team.   

And earlier you mentioned that you wouldn’t break down individual players, so I’m not sure how you can say a team will dominate another team without comparing talent on each team.

I will be cheering as hard as anyone for Auburn to win.  I’m just not the kind of fan that doesn’t see the flaws in my own team and overstates how good or well they can perform  

I say that because we've shown before that we can dominate a "top team " with the talent we have and get. I know it was 2 years ago, but the November run of 17 is a perfect example of what Auburn could be if the talent was utilized properly. We killed uga 40-17. A superior team "according to recruiting talent " got annihilated. Two weeks later bammer comes in and gets handled as well. Then we go and play the same uga team that we throttled a mere month earlier. And due to lack of development we lose. Then UCF happened. Ugh. The "if" I refer to is coaching, specifically Gus. That's our variable in all of this, not necessarily our talent. Although I will concede our OL isn't exactly top tier,  but is that recruiting or development or both?

Did you see how #22 and #9 for LSU simply did not back down last night ? 

That. 

Just gonna have to want it more. 

2 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

Did I just hear that both Georgia’s center and backup center were hurt during the Missouri game? 

I heard they had some dings and bruises, but overall, I don't know what difference it'll make. Sure, they'll miss their # 1 WR, if he's out, but next man up for that group. 

1 hour ago, leglessdan said:

I say that because we've shown before that we can dominate a "top team " with the talent we have and get. I know it was 2 years ago, but the November run of 17 is a perfect example of what Auburn could be if the talent was utilized properly. We killed uga 40-17. A superior team "according to recruiting talent " got annihilated. Two weeks later bammer comes in and gets handled as well. Then we go and play the same uga team that we throttled a mere month earlier. And due to lack of development we lose. Then UCF happened. Ugh. The "if" I refer to is coaching, specifically Gus. That's our variable in all of this, not necessarily our talent. Although I will concede our OL isn't exactly top tier,  but is that recruiting or development or both?

Yes that team did dominate the game.   Completely different personnel.   And the “if” factor is everything.   He is were the buck stops.   I would say it’s bad evaluation, development, scheme for the players and the inability to self evaluate his own abilities.  

And as far as GA’s recruiting, all those top classes are just now sophomores and juniors.   That GA team in 2017, were Kirby’s freshman 

9 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

We need to get one of those short, stocky, quick/fast RB's like #22 for LSU. :dunno:

If we had LSU’s #22 he’d be sitting on the bench next to Worm.

Imaginative play calling

No turnovers get a least two turnovers on short fields

Get Schwartz the ball.  Use more imagination to accomplish this.  For instance georgia is too good to let us set the edges on reverses or run streak routes.  We need to use him to set up the dogs for instance run some short out routes and when the dogs are sitting on the short out let him run some out and up.  However, Bo needs to have protection for this type of routes.

When we blitz the inside backers, we cant let their receivers over the middle.  This was a problem last year.

59 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

If we had LSU’s #22 he’d be sitting on the bench next to Worm.

Gus would be like '  Now now , we've analyzed their defensive scheme and charted their tendencies and we're putting the players in who we feel have the best opportunity to give our offense the greatest chance of success... ' 

Or some reasonable facsimile  like that. 

2 hours ago, Cardin Drake said:

We need to score 24 points. The defense will take care of the rest.

24 takes AU to OT against UF & actually BEATS LSU in regulation. 

Georgia is decidedly NEITHER of those teams (beating UF notwithstanding....).

I must admit...the bye week, seeing thUga have yet another "meh" offensive game (only scoring 27 on Mizzou), playing at JHS.... C'MON Offense....just get us to 24!!!!

16 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

All it will take is for Gus to not be a moron calling plays and Auburn wins.

If CGM would just decide to go all-in and give UGA everything he has. Go for the Win from opening whistle-On Offense and Defense!!

On 11/9/2019 at 11:36 AM, leglessdan said:

Seems alot of folks are overlooking the uga defense. They are stout against the run and we've seen what happens to Gus when the run is taken away. As stated by a few, we have to stop taking shots when we are in 3rd and short. Gotta stay ahead of the chains and keep the middle of the field active in the pass game to open up rushing lanes by preoccupying their LBs. Idk I'm kinda torn on this game because I KNOW we have the talent to dominate this game but sometimes Gus claims up against teams with a good D. Wde anyways and I will be pulling hard for the boys to get the W.

I am hoping that he chooses more often to go for the 1st Down on 3rd and short. Just my wishes of course.

19 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

QB and Oline play competent. Not as complicated as some would have you believe.

I am hoping that this game, CGM finally gives the green light to Nix for some real options...a little like he had to in the Oregon game. We need to find some way to soften their running Defense to help Bo's passing. It may be a risk given our QB situation, but you got to win somehow. Just wishful thinking.

Archived