Men vs Davidson

tgrogan21

Something important to remember when comparing Okoro to Okeke, Okeke was a sophomore when he finally did put things together. There were less hands in the pot in his sophomore year so he was able to do so, granted, but he didnt mentally show that aggression often during his freshman year. I think Isaac is already several yards deeper in his offensive progression

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I missd the game. How did Javon look tonight? Did he have fewer To's? Also Okoro? I was stoked about him after the first game? Someone give me the scoop!!!!

Javon had a similar game tonight as he did vs Ga Southern offensively, but played very good defense. Sluggish in 1st half but more assertive and productive as the 2nd half unfolded. Okoro drained a couple early 3s in the 1st half and quickly got out to 10 points with a couple of finishes at the rim. Played great defense all night, and finished with 17 points to lead all AU scorers.

Got to come back and say Mc played well at the end. Needs to play with that attitude always. I think our big guys will do good. Daniel is coming into his own and the Freshman is looking good. He makes some freshman mistakes cause he lets his body get out of control sometimes, but he doesn’t lack in hustle or confidence in his game . As the game slows down for him he could be our Chuma this year. Still need to find someone that can drive the middle when teams go to zone. Future opponents will look at this game and we will see a lot of the same 2-3 zone against us. Really thrilled with the 3 point shooting. I was very afraid we would lose that point this year with losing 3 of our best behind the arc guys as well as the moving back of the line. Looks like it’s no problem though. I have high expectations for these guys.

I attended the Davidson game tonight and was pleasantly surprised by the large size of the AU crowd in attendance.  I'm guessing 2/3s of the attendees were AU fans.  Anyone have a guess how many AU fans were in Alumni Hall tonight?  A really good show of support for the team a long way from home.

Observations from tonight

Free throw shooting has to improve.  This will be a huge part of our game this year. Not pretty but effective.  Getting to the line

Guard play still has to improve but both games McCormick and Doughty have closed out very solid I thought 

Purifoy needs to be a little more aggressive when he gets a good matchup.  We need him to score 12-16 range this year. 

Okoro is the next NBA star.  Smoothe as silk.  

Wiley is just not coordinated.  But he is so strong if he would just use his legs

Bruce is the Goat.  

13 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Something important to remember when comparing Okoro to Okeke, Okeke was a sophomore when he finally did put things together. There were less hands in the pot in his sophomore year so he was able to do so, granted, but he didnt mentally show that aggression often during his freshman year. I think Isaac is already several yards deeper in his offensive progression

And Okeke managed to be always in the right spot, not standing, active... his defense and hands were at another level where he could strip guards and take it the length. I will miss him

This was a great win right here. The job our team did holding Davidson’s two guards both to single digit scoring was incredible. If we can do that consistently then we have a chance to have a much better season then I thought was possible. 

some game notes: McCormick had a nice bounce back game. No turnovers from him that I can remember. Samir struggled pretty bad. Mac sighting in the second half! He really brought a spark when he came in. That blocked 3 was a beaut! Purifoy still has a sweet stroke from 3. I’d like to get him the ball more at the post. Okoro might just be the real deal folks....if he can hit that 3 consistently he won’t be around AU very long. Going to be fun watching him play this season! War Eagle!

I don't know how many realize this but we were a 2.5 dog last night despite being the ranked team. Time should prove this to be a real good win. Definitely a Tier 2 & maybe a Tier 1 win.

This was a solid win. Okoro is coming along and going to be a force. 

This was another step in J'Von's development as starting PG -- 10 pts, 5 assists, 0 turnovers

Samir didn't play like he usually does against a mid-major opponent, usually he shines against those types of teams

Mac showing flashes of getting back to his old self (12 pts/ 5 rebs/ and 3 blocks? oh yeah)

Wiley eating glass, but was not a focus on offense

Seems the rest of our rotation didn't do much: Jamal Johnson, Cambridge (fighting foul trouble), Flanagan, Jones -- looked better in his 3 minutes than he did in his 1 minute vs Georgia Southern.

IMO, the main factor in keeping this game close was that effing idiot TV Teddy Valentine. Every time I see that he's reffing one of our games, or any game I'm watching, it's like I get punched in the stomach. He's notorious for reeling games back in with one sided foul calls when the lead starts to balloon. It's a joke how he's still employed to be honest.

On 11/8/2019 at 9:02 PM, tigeraddikt said:

Javon had a similar game tonight as he did vs Ga Southern offensively, but played very good defense. Sluggish in 1st half but more assertive and productive as the 2nd half unfolded. Okoro drained a couple early 3s in the 1st half and quickly got out to 10 points with a couple of finishes at the rim. Played great defense all night, and finished with 17 points to lead all AU scorers.

J'von had zero turnovers and 5 assists. He wasn't dynamic, but was much better than the first half of the first game. 

On 11/9/2019 at 1:08 PM, ellitor said:

I don't know how many realize this but we were a 2.5 dog last night despite being the ranked team. Time should prove this to be a real good win. Definitely a Tier 2 & maybe a Tier 1 win.

We were a 2.5 favorite. Either way a narrow line. 

12 hours ago, JwgreDeux said:

We were a 2.5 favorite

Covers.com had us as an underdog on their daily scores page. I later saw where other sites had conflicting info.

Archived