Arkansas

AuburnTiger4Life

This brings up a good question.  Fire your coach early and find a new one to save the recruiting class or sign your new coach after the early signing period to lock in the recruits and let the new coach maybe release who he wants, etc.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People see us as going through coaches too quickly. Well, Arky since the turn of the century has now gone through Nutt, Petrino, Bielema and Morris. Not even counting Smiley.

2 hours ago, Never2Yield said:

Will Gus go home, or will he swallow his pride and try to hire Morris as OC?

I'm a little conflicted here. Want Gus to go, but the thought of Morris as OC (if he is allowed to make staff changes) is intriguing to me. 🤔

What would even be the point of hiring Morris? Gus is never going to give up control. The offense would look the exact same just with another "OC".

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

What would even be the point of hiring Morris? Gus is never going to give up control. The offense would look the exact same just with another "OC".

You beat me to it.  Same song, second verse.  Times seven.

Hugh Freeze has been out of the SEC for several years now, at Liberty praying for another chance. I'm thinking Arkansas might go for him.

On 11/9/2019 at 1:25 PM, Eagle-1 said:

Was thinking that the other day. Nutt comes off as a buffoon, but they have pretty much sucked since he's been gone.

Yeah under Nutt and Petrino from 1998-2011 we were something like 69-63 in the SEC. Since then we’re around 13-43. Awful.

1 hour ago, gohogs14 said:

Yeah under Nutt and Petrino from 1998-2011 we were something like 69-63 in the SEC. Since then we’re around 13-43. Awful.

Bruce Feldman says after talking to sources, he thinks Gus and Mike Norvell could be the 2 favorites with Gus being in the lead. I assumed he had burned his bridges there after 2017. What's your take? Thanks

On 11/9/2019 at 12:29 PM, GwillMac6 said:

@McLoofus  Gus fans will now include they do not want to be Arky in addition to not wanting to be Rocky Top! lol

I'm from Texas..... even if there was no Gus I wouldn't want to be Arky!

Holy cow! Didn't realize it had gotten that bad.

20 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

I'm from Texas..... even if there was no Gus I wouldn't want to be Arky!

You are from Texas?!

NO WAY. J/K

28 minutes ago, CR said:

Bruce Feldman says after talking to sources, he thinks Gus and Mike Norvell could be the 2 favorites with Gus being in the lead. I assumed he had burned his bridges there after 2017. What's your take? Thanks

Not who you asked but that's interesting. 

12 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Not who you asked but that's interesting. 

Hey, it's open to anyone gr8. I just wondered what an Arkansas fan might have heard on the matter.

1 hour ago, CR said:

Hey, it's open to anyone gr8. I just wondered what an Arkansas fan might have heard on the matter.

I really do think Gus would go this time if the job was not so absolutely terrible. It's a massive rebuilding job. It's basically career suicide for anyone. I can see norvell taking it for the huge pay upgrade he would get. He is making "only" 2.5 million at Memphis. Gus as we all know doesn't have that issue since he is a top 5 paid coach in the country. That's how I see it.

20 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I really do think Gus would go this time if the job was not so absolutely terrible. It's a massive rebuilding job. It's basically career suicide for anyone. I can see norvell taking it for the huge pay upgrade he would get. He is making "only" 2.5 million at Memphis. Gus as we all know doesn't have that issue since he is a top 5 paid coach in the country. That's how I see it.

Gus has gotten used to recruiting at AU and he knows what type of roster Arkansas has. I also think he knows he'll never get another job at this level program so he'll hold on as long as he can. After 7 years, I just wonder how much longer this relationship continues. He's constantly on the hot seat to some degree, eventually it's gonna happen. Gus doesn't seem like a 10 year coach at AU.

2 hours ago, CR said:

I don’t see it happening, even if he would leave he’s too divisive of a figure here now to work IMO. But there is a segment of our BOT who are obsessed with him. He runs a similar offense to Morris which I guess could either be a good or bad thing.

I see us going after Norvell, Kiffin, Leach...or if we’re willing to go there maybe Freeze. With how desperate we are right now it wouldn’t surprise me. We didn’t have an AD in place when we hired Morris though and now we do, I really like the Musselman hire in basketball so we’ll see how it goes.

23 minutes ago, gohogs14 said:

I don’t see it happening, even if he would leave he’s too divisive of a figure here now to work IMO. But there is a segment of our BOT who are obsessed with him. He runs a similar offense to Morris which I guess could either be a good or bad thing.

I see us going after Norvell, Kiffin, Leach...or if we’re willing to go there maybe Freeze. With how desperate we are right now it wouldn’t surprise me. We didn’t have an AD in place when we hired Morris though and now we do, I really like the Musselman hire in basketball so we’ll see how it goes.

Appreciate your take. Good luck.

3 hours ago, DAG said:

You are from Texas?!

NO WAY. J/K

Well when living in Alabama I learned that Alabama graduates had issues figuring that out so I got use to having to tell people (not calling you a Bama grad btw lol), its even documented in film:

Gus would be great at Arkansas...record-wise. 

The out of conference schedule this year for Arkansas was: Portland State, Colorado State, San Jose State, and Western Kentucky

The out of conference schedule last year for Arkansas was: Eastern Illinois, Colorado State, Northern Texas, And Tulsa

At Auburn, Gus has to play Oregon, Washington, Clemson, etc. in a least one out of conference game.

Cross division rival for Auburn is Georgia.

Cross division rival for Arkansas is Missouri.

Texas A&M and the Mississippi schools would be a toss up...just like here most seasons.

LSU and Alabama would be a pretty sure loss...just like here.

But here's the thing...over seven seasons at Auburn...Gus has proven that he can beat Auburn multiple times throughout the season...but at Arkansas he would only have to do it once each season.

2 hours ago, TigerTale said:

Gus would be great at Arkansas...record-wise. 

The out of conference schedule this year for Arkansas was: Portland State, Colorado State, San Jose State, and Western Kentucky

The out of conference schedule last year for Arkansas was: Eastern Illinois, Colorado State, Northern Texas, And Tulsa

The only reason our OOC schedule was so soft was because we had a home and home scheduled with Michigan but they backed out at the last minute so we were forced to replace them with Colorado State. Morris pretty much wasted an extremely easy schedule by SEC standards. We play Notre Dame and Texas in the next few years out of conference.

Take your pick of the funniest quote from this article. I'm going with "secures another massive buyout... "

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thespun.com/college-football/arkansas-reportedly-has-1-dream-candidate-for-head-coach/amp

"The Arkansas-Malzahn connection is straight out of the romantic comedy script — we've been waiting the whole time for these two to get together. You know the story by now: He played receiver at Arkansas in 1984-85, was a high school coach in the state, was offensive coordinator for the Razorbacks in 2006 and had a 9-3 record in one season at Arkansas State..."

Lots of whys from lots of angles here. Eatin' popcorn...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportingnews.com/us/amp/ncaa-football/news/chad-morris-firing-arkansas-gus-malzahn/9fxwnwwtbkq01v5h9fytwmfjb

The only reason our OOC schedule was so soft was because we had a home and home scheduled with Michigan but they backed out at the last minute so we were forced to replace them with Colorado State. Morris pretty much wasted an extremely easy schedule by SEC standards. We play Notre Dame and Texas in the next few years out of conference.

No doubt Morris had a nice scenario for him with Colorado State instead of Michigan for 2 years. Not only that but got Vanderbilt last year and Kentucky this year as the other East division game.

With Notre Dame next year along with an improving Tennessee and then a 2021 schedule with Texas and Georgia, the next coach is going to have it much harder than Morris ever did.

I didn't realize just how bad Morris wet the bed, but with that schedule his firing seems more reasonable. But I pity the next guy...unless it's Gus.

Picked these numbers up from a tweet shared on a different board and through they were interesting.  The number of transfers is shocking, didn't realize they were that depleted.  Sounds like it was time for him to go.

Clara Goodwin @5NEWSClara · 3m 
Chad Morris stats at Arkansas: -4-18 overall record, 0-14 
SEC  
-33 scholarship transfers 
-outscored 779-483 
-allowed avg of 35 points per game 
-lost by an avg of 21 points per game 

8 minutes ago, TigerTale said:

No doubt Morris had a nice scenario for him with Colorado State instead of Michigan for 2 years. Not only that but got Vanderbilt last year and Kentucky this year as the other East division game.

With Notre Dame next year along with an improving Tennessee and then a 2021 schedule with Texas and Georgia, the next coach is going to have it much harder than Morris ever did.

I didn't realize just how bad Morris wet the bed, but with that schedule his firing seems more reasonable. But I pity the next guy...unless it's Gus.

Ultimate rebuilding, rebranding opportunity back to one's historical roots,  with excellent financial compensation. Uphill battle, but tenacity is one of Coach Malzahn's most frequently observed traits. Perfect fresh start. He may give pause at the second-round opportunity so soon. These things don't just happen. People of faith understand divine timing and fingerprints. Interesting times, indeed. 

Archived