Null



Sign in to follow this  
AuburnTiger4Life

Arkansas

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Auburn 6 said:

Picked these numbers up from a tweet shared on a different board and through they were interesting.  The number of transfers is shocking, didn't realize they were that depleted.  Sounds like it was time for him to go.

 

 

Yeah it was framed as him trimming the leftover Bielema fat but the more that comes out about him it sounds like players really didn't like him. Apparently in his first meeting with the team he said something along the lines of "If you guys were doing your job I wouldn't be here". A player's parent posted this:

Quote

I tried to be a fan if the hire.  I, like many of us, was hoping for something to bring energy to the program.  I only spoke with Morris twice.  My son met him, and came over for dinner and told me that he just had a bad feeling about him.  He told me that Morris seemed to be all talk and no substance.  I told him that he should buy in and give it some time.  He and his teammates were still upset about how the Bielema firing went down.  He spent 2 months in Morris’  program.  All the while I was on Hogville telling everyone to be patient, it would Morris take a couple of years.  After 2 months in the offseason, my son told me that he was adding an extra class a and going to finish his bachelors in 3 years and move on from football.  He and I went round and round.  I told him that he was going to regret leaving a program that he’d dreamed of being part of since he first played football.  Then he stared telling me details about some things in the program.  The straw that broke the camels back for me was what they wanted to do with my son’s position group.  He had been told by Pittman when he was a freshman that he was too small and it would take him 3 years in the weight room to get to the size he needed to be.  Pittman wanted him at 290-295.  He was at 292.  He was told that he, and all the current lineman, needed to drop 25lbs to be more mobile.  I told him that small lineman won’t work in the SEC.  He agreed.  He then told me that he just didn’t think the staff understood the level of competition in the SEC .  He told me he hated to walk away, but “I just can’t play for that coach”.  And so he walked away with two years of eligibility left.  When the 2018 season was about to start, I asked him how he was handling not being part of the team and how did he think they’ll do.  I tried to lighten the mood and joked with him that I thought they were a 4-5 win team in 2018, but Hogville thinks he’ll win 8!  He didn’t feel like joking and prophetically replied to me  “3 years down the road, he’ll be fired before he’s won a total of 8 games. He’s not an SEC coach”.  Again I tried to tell my son he was just upset because he was too close to the situation to remain objective.  He replied, “just wait and watch”.  As the season went on, he was right.  I tried to like Morris.  As I’ve posted, I support the program and that includes whoever’s name is on the door that says Head Coach, but Morris lost me.  From what I’ve heard from media members I’ve spoken to, current and former players, people that work in the building that I still have some contact with, Morris was all about Chad Morris.  He was a good catch phrase or sound bite, he wasn’t a good coach or leader.  So I’ll say this, I wasn’t against the hire, but the more information I received, my opinion changed.  I would never post any of this if he was still the head coach, but he’s gone and I’ve sat on this for 18 months.  I guess the long reply is like a therapy session for me! 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




49 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

"secures another massive buyout... "

Being the optimist that I am, when it comes to Gus leaving, I’m looking at this as Sexton opens up contract negotiations with Auburn due to Arkansas’ interest.  Since contract negotiations are open, we offer Gus less than Arky’s offer without any buy out considerations.

Ball’s in your court Gus.

I know, a pipe dream.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Others will be listed, but I think they will take a run at Gus. It probably will not be public but they still want him.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Being the optimist that I am, when it comes to Gus leaving, I’m looking at this as Sexton opens up contract negotiations with Auburn due to Arkansas’ interest.  Since contract negotiations are open, we offer Gus less than Arky’s offer without any buy out considerations.

Ball’s in your court Gus.

I know, a pipe dream.

Contract negotiations in which we offer Gus less than Arky's offer and less than his current contract would be hilarious.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Others will be listed, but I think they will take a run at Gus. It probably will not be public but they still want him.

They can have him with the right negotiation tactic. ;)

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TigerTale said:

Contract negotiations in which we offer Gus less than Arky's offer and less than his current contract would be hilarious.

I would hope Auburn has the intestinal fortitude.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I would hope Auburn has the intestinal fortitude.

"Fool me once"...hope springs eternal... 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

They can have him with the right negotiation tactic. ;)

Asking?  I think that may be all it takes from our side.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2019 at 3:02 PM, AURex said:

Hugh Freeze has been out of the SEC for several years now, at Liberty praying for another chance. I'm thinking Arkansas might go for him.

 

I see what you did there. 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is what I have been thinking about Arky and Gus...

Why would Arky want the guy??  I think we look at Arky as an 8-4 type program but I don’t think they look at themselves that way.  I think they want to win more.  So why hire a guy who couldn’t get over the hump at a place like Auburn with better recruiting and better resources?  His ceiling there is likely to be the same or worse.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Here is what I have been thinking about Arky and Gus...

Why would Arky want the guy??  I think we look at Arky as an 8-4 type program but I don’t think they look at themselves that way.  I think they want to win more.  So why hire a guy who couldn’t get over the hump at a place like Auburn with better recruiting and better resources?  His ceiling there is likely to be the same or worse.  

Believe you are correct. Better recruiting at Auburn and in the same division. Only way they take him is that their current situation is seen as so dire that 8-4 seasons sound good.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Here is what I have been thinking about Arky and Gus...

Why would Arky want the guy??  I think we look at Arky as an 8-4 type program but I don’t think they look at themselves that way.  I think they want to win more.  So why hire a guy who couldn’t get over the hump at a place like Auburn with better recruiting and better resources?  His ceiling there is likely to be the same or worse.  

 

I think it is more a case of Gus has some influential supporters that would like to see him at Arkansas.  The fanbase is definitely not collectively salivating at the prospect.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see why Arky would pursue Gus. He surely cannot recruit any better at Arkansas than he does at Auburn, so he will be running a talent deficit just like Biliema and Morris. And he would still be in the same division with Bama, LSU, Auburn, and A&M. So, where would he get the players to compete at that level? He would not even be 8-4 at Arkansas. I think the AK search people would recognize this right off.

FSU woukd likely be more interested, since Gus has recruited successfully in Florida, and he can put together teams that maybe don't do very well in SEC West, but would kick butt in the weak ACC, with a shot at very good W-L records every year.

As for Arky, I think their best bet is Hugh Freeze, if they can get him, or someone with recruiting tentacles into Texas.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, AURex said:

I don't see why Arky would pursue Gus. He surely cannot recruit any better at Arkansas than he does at Auburn, so he will be running a talent deficit just like Biliema and Morris. And he would still be in the same division with Bama, LSU, Auburn, and A&M. So, where would he get the players to compete at that level? He would not even be 8-4 at Arkansas. I think the AK search people would recognize this right off.

FSU woukd likely be more interested, since Gus has recruited successfully in Florida, and he can put together teams that maybe don't do very well in SEC West, but would kick butt in the weak ACC, with a shot at very good W-L records every year.

As for Arky, I think their best bet is Hugh Freeze, if they can get him, or someone with recruiting tentacles into Texas.

 

Gus recruits very well.  He just doesn’t think O Linemen are a priority.  Imagine that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Gus recruits very well.  He just doesn’t think O Linemen are a priority.  Imagine that. 

He puts lots of 5 and 4 star OL on his board every year, but he can't get them to come to Auburn to play in his "clown offense" (not my terminology). Just because he puts them on the recruiting board does not mean he successfully recruits them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When it rains, it pours...bless them!! 

Mumps!

https://www.secrant.com/arkansas-sports/arkansas-will-be-short-15-players-today-due-to-the-mumps/87035595/

Just one recent fan post...

"Nothing will happen until Auburn loses to Alabama and we see what happens with Gus. He will be the Head Coach of Arkansas sometime in the future if not hired this year."

Edited by ToraGirl
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw on another board that Arky might be getting Matt Campbell. That would be shocking if true. He could have nearly any open job he wanted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

Saw on another board that Arky might be getting Matt Campbell. That would be shocking if true. He could have nearly any open job he wanted. 

Remember though, WE can’t get a decent coach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

Saw on another board that Arky might be getting Matt Campbell. That would be shocking if true. He could have nearly any open job he wanted. 

That would be a huge get for Arky. Id be shocked to see him take it though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CR said:

That would be a huge get for Arky. Id be shocked to see him take it though.

Supposedly he has until Monday to decide or we’re going with Kiffin. Jerry is really ponying up with this hire and could go as high as $7 million if we need to, plus a big budget for assistants. Not sure I like paying that much but this is a critical hire so we need to get it right.

IMO Kiffin actually has more upside but Campbell seems like a pretty safe hire. My concern would be how well he’d be able to recruit here since he’s been in the north and midwest all this time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gohogs14 said:

Supposedly he has until Monday to decide or we’re going with Kiffin. Jerry is really ponying up with this hire and could go as high as $7 million if we need to, plus a big budget for assistants. Not sure I like paying that much but this is a critical hire so we need to get it right.

IMO Kiffin actually has more upside but Campbell seems like a pretty safe hire. My concern would be how well he’d be able to recruit here since he’s been in the north and midwest all this time.

Good info, thanks. I would think a big recruiter is crucial for Arkansas due to a lack of HS talent available in-state. Do fans there feel that way?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CR said:

Good info, thanks. I would think a big recruiter is crucial for Arkansas due to a lack of HS talent available in-state. Do fans there feel that way?

It is but at the same time Morris wasn’t a bad recruiter, we actually signed the most Rivals 4-stars we’ve ever signed last year. He just couldn’t do anything with them. Even a great recruiter here will probably average a class in the low 20’s with maybe a few in the teens so to me it’s more important that they can develop them since there will be 4 teams in the division recruiting higher. On paper we do recruit about 30 spots higher than Iowa State so you’d think a guy like Campbell would have more to work with here despite a tougher division.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this