Blueprint to Beat Bama

AUght2win

For anybody that watched the game, Burrow picked The Water apart. Saddest part is we literally can't replicate their gameplan because we have a 4th grade passing scheme. LSU ran zone busters, combo routes, rubs, square ins, slants, and all kinds of intermediate stuff. All we run are wheels, go's, and screens.

In seven years Gus hasn't added any sophistication to the passing game. Still can't figure out why.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, AUloggerhead said:

You can’t figure it out after 7 years?  Gus doesn’t know how to.  Don’t overthink it.  

He refuses to do it. Maybe it's "too conventional" for him. Or maybe he is so stubbornly run-first he refuses to spend time bulking up the passing game. It really is strange. We have the passing attack of a wishbone team.

What's sad is this year's Passing Schemes actually have progressed from seasons of past, but they are nowhere near LSU's. I thought he had some good concepts against a poor Ole Miss team, but competition doesn't make a scheme or concept so still has to get credit. I will also give Gus credit for utilizing the middle of the field with crossing and slant routes this season. It's a damn shame it takes 7 years though. 

7 hours ago, AUght2win said:

In seven years Gus hasn't added any sophistication to the passing game. Still can't figure out why.

Because he can't and he won't.

Alabama should be ready to make some coaching moves right? They have the highest paid coach in college football. They should expect to win that game, LSU doesn't pay their coach near what Bama pays Saban. 

And didn't Saban come from defense? especially coaching secondary? yet LSU threw the ball at will all night, In death valley Auburn held them to 23, but Bama allowed 46 in Tuscaloosa. Bama needs to fire Saban immediately. 

Did you know Bama has the #1 composite score for recruiting for the past 5 years, and all that talent is wasted on a coach who simply can not or will not adapt his defense to the skillset of his players.

Did you all even see his kiddie high school level of pass coverages, they were so....etc etc

/sarcasm sarcgasm

14 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

Alabama should be ready to make some coaching moves right? They have the highest paid coach in college football. They should expect to win that game, LSU doesn't pay their coach near what Bama pays Saban. 

And didn't Saban come from defense? especially coaching secondary? yet LSU threw the ball at will all night, In death valley Auburn held them to 23, but Bama allowed 46 in Tuscaloosa. Bama needs to fire Saban immediately. 

Did you know Bama has the #1 composite score for recruiting for the past 5 years, and all that talent is wasted on a coach who simply can not or will not adapt his defense to the skillset of his players.

Did you all even see his kiddie high school level of pass coverages, they were so....etc etc

/sarcasm sarcgasm

Huge LOL !!! 😎

During the broadcast, one of the commentators said, "the blue print to beat bama is there. If you have a passing game that takes advantage of the middle of the field Bama is beatable". 

I thought, well crap.

30 minutes ago, bigbird said:

During the broadcast, one of the commentators said, "the blue print to beat bama is there. If you have a passing game that takes advantage of the middle of the field Bama is beatable". 

I thought, well crap.

Hehehe

I thought it was an interesting concept when LSU hired a passing coordinator. Seems to have paid massive dividends.

Defensively the answer is you have to keep pressure on Tua. LSU got roasted on plays where Tua had all day to sit there like a statue. Also, Orgeron used a lot of injury timeouts to quell momentum.We can’t play man against these four receivers (which we will do anyways because we don’t run a Zone scheme).

Offensively, I think if you have balance you can really confuse their defense and keep them off balance. Don’t snap the ball close to the play clock (they’re gods at jumping it) and make your snap count hard to guess (switch it up, have a clap count and then use your leg instead). They were timing LSU’s snap all night. Their running back was truly the game changer. If you can utilize your RB and TE as a true passing threat their linebackers aren’t great in coverage.

We will do none of the above and lose by 20+ while Bama tries to make a case to the College Football Playoff Committee.

56 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I thought, well crap.

JMO but if BN were throwing those passes into the center of the defense, about half of them would have been intercepted.  JB was absolutely on target and can throw the ball through a keyhole....BN is not there yet....Burrow made the bama DBs look ordinary which I don't think they are.  

PS...the key to AU having a chance to outscore bama is to hold them to fewer than 28....LSU probably the only team on the bama schedule who could play to out-score them rather than stop them defensively. 

21 minutes ago, AU64 said:

JMO but if BN were throwing those passes into the center of the defense, about half of them would have been intercepted.  JB was absolutely on target and can throw the ball through a keyhole....BN is not there yet....Burrow made the bama DBs look ordinary which I don't think they are.  

PS...the key to AU having a chance to outscore bama is to hold them to fewer than 28....LSU probably the only team on the bama schedule who could play to out-score them rather than stop them defensively. 

No doubt about this.  We’ll have to drag UGA and UAT down in the mud and hope the O can slog their way out to score enough points to win. 

1 hour ago, Mims44 said:

/sarcasm sarcgasm

All his boys on defense are out hurt. 

46 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

I never thought I'd miss Ensminger. 

Ensminger was a very good coach when he was at AU.  He should've been given the OC job outright in 2003 instead of being saddled with Nall.

Just now, dyehardfanAU said:

Ensminger was a very good coach when he was at AU.  He should've been given the OC job outright instead of being saddled with Nall.

I agree. It's just that he'll always be tied to Nallsminger Ball 1.0, 2.0 and those miserable failures. 

9 hours ago, AUght2win said:

For anybody that watched the game, Burrow picked The Water apart. Saddest part is we literally can't replicate their gameplan because we have a 4th grade passing scheme. LSU ran zone busters, combo routes, rubs, square ins, slants, and all kinds of intermediate stuff. All we run are wheels, go's, and screens.

What else you suppose to have with a 4th grade QB?

49 minutes ago, AU64 said:

When Tua tried it at the end of first half, he threw an interception. Guess it’s not as easy as it looks since he is considered equal to Burrow (although I think Burrow clearly is the best and deserves the Heisman)

Here’s something that bothers me about Gus’s passing game.  Chip Lindsey actually brought some really good concepts with him when he came as OC.  I worked under a HS OC who worked under Chip at Spain Park and brought most of those concepts with him.  It was really good stuff.  If you remember the passing game in 2017 was really good.  The crossers and middle of the field routes were HUGE in the Iron Bowl that year.  Then 2018 comes, Gus started meddling more, Stidham regressed, Chip is the scapegoat, Gus takes his offense back, and now you have what we have now.

1 hour ago, johnnyAU said:

I never thought I'd miss Ensminger. 

This ain't Ensminger's offense.  His was the same stagnant thing LSU has run for years.  They went out and brought in a passing game coordinator from the Saints.  He essentially brought the Saints offense to BR.  Ensminger may be calling plays, but this is Sean Payton's offense.

2 hours ago, Mims44 said:

/sarcasm sarcgasm

Wasn't Orgeron suppose to be a mistake hire for LSU? Just goes to show you that anyone can win at college football if you recruit talent and develop it. 

Archived