Gus impressed with GA defense

aubiefifty

247sports.com

Malzahn impressed by what he sees from Georgia defense

ByJason Caldwell

4-5 minutes

AUBURN, Alabama—Stepping back into the role of Auburn’s offensive coordinator, Coach Gus Malzahn has his most difficult challenge of the 2019 season coming up this weekend against a Georgia defense that has dominated the league to this point. Allowing just 10.1 points per game, 74.6 rushing yards and 260 total yards to lead the league in all three categories and giving up just 185.8 passing yards per game (good enough for third), Coach Kirby Smart’s group is strong in every area and Malzahn said his team is going to have to play well on Saturday to have a chance.

“They’ve got a lot of defensive linemen they play, and when they put other guys in there, there really isn’t a drop off,” Malzahn said. “Real impressed, obviously, with the run defense. I don’t think they’ve given up a rushing touchdown all season — which, that hadn’t happened in, what, the last 20 years in college football. 

“So that tells you a lot. I think they’re solid on the back end too. They’ve got some guys that can really run. And like I said, we’re playing one of the more talented teams in the entire country—maybe the most talented. But they’re impressive to watch on film.”

Jarrett Stidham looks for a receiver in last year's game in Athens (Photo: Jason Caldwell/Inside The Auburn Tigers/AUTigers.com)

Georgia has had Malzahn’s number for the most part since he came to Auburn with the exception of games in 2010, 2013 and 2017. In those games the Tigers averaged over 40 points and nearly 500 yards of total offense against the Bulldogs. In the six other meetings Malzahn has had against Georgia, Auburn’s offense has totaled just 51 points and averaged only 243 yards of offense per contest.

The good news for Malzahn and the Tigers is that all three big games came at Jordan-Hare Stadium, where they will play this Saturday. He said that’s big for this offense and freshman quarterback Bo Nix going into the rivalry game.

“It's helping a lot,” Malzahn said of being in front of the home fans. “I think it helps a whole lot. You know, you're exactly right: We're playing some very talented teams here toward the end. At the same time, he's got good experience. 

“Even though there was some tough things on the road, you know, you learn from them. You grow from them. Like I said, it's completely different when you're playing at home. You can hear a lot better, you can operate a lot better. The clock issues running down is not the same. I think that's a real positive when we're playing at home, specifically for him.”

Part of the week has been spent working to make sure there are no tendencies heading into Saturday's game with Malzahn and Smart so familiar with each other. Having a bye week was helpful with that and something he said they used to their advantage.

"We've been coaching against each other a long, long time and we know each other well," Malzahn said. " think, more than anything, it gives you a chance to go back, like we talked about a couple weeks ago, and kind of look at yourself and still, you know, check your tendencies out -- re-evaluate things or whatever that is to get the best plan possible. So in the off weeks, it's not just about the next opponent.

"It's good to have a little extra time. But a lot of times you get a chance to really look at yourself. And we've done that. We went back -- just like we did the first time. You have a little more information than you did the first half of the season."

Kickoff for Saturday’s game is scheduled for 2:30 p.m. on CBS. Georgia leads the all-time series 59-56-8 and the Bulldogs have won 11 of the last 14 games between the two schools.

34 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

Georgia leads the all-time series 59-56-8 and the Bulldogs have won 11 of the last 14 games between the two schools.

pissedOffKid.gif

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

Part of the week has been spent working to make sure there are no tendencies heading into Saturday's game with Malzahn and Smart so familiar with each other. Having a bye week was helpful with that and something he said they used to their advantage.

Well, this will be interesting to see.  I guess he didn’t need to do this with Mullen and coach O.

Considering our offense...I wouldn't think it would be hard to impress Gus with any defense. 

You could randomly select 11 members of France's army and I think he would be impressed with it too.

15 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

Now, who was that poster that argued with me a few weeks ago that Florida, and Oregon were better on defense than GA?

Not sure who it was but they are better on defense. Uga hasn’t exactly played and power house sec teams and Florida did not play well against them. Top 5 in the sec but not the best

17 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

Not sure who it was but they are better on defense. Uga hasn’t exactly played and power house sec teams and Florida did not play well against them. Top 5 in the sec but not the best

I would definitely say UF is better, not sure about Oregon. UGA obviously has a good defense, but I wouldn't take their's over ours any day of the week. I think we have the best D in the nation. Not statistically, but stats can be thwarting sometimes. Nobody even UGA has played near the offensive Firepower we have. I think we will end their Rushing TD prevention streak, and their playoff hopes. 

1 hour ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I would definitely say UF is better, not sure about Oregon. UGA obviously has a good defense, but I wouldn't take their's over ours any day of the week. I think we have the best D in the nation. Not statistically, but stats can be thwarting sometimes. Nobody even UGA has played near the offensive Firepower we have. I think we will end their Rushing TD prevention streak, and their playoff hopes. 

Yea they still have a decent defense but the stats are very misleading. I think they’ve played 4 games this year vs the backup QB and lost one of those games AT HOME!

1 hour ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Hope you're right, but don't underestimate the level of athletes they have on defense. We have a very good defense, but GA is better at rushing the passer than we are, and have much more quality depth on the defensive line.

Archived