Morris gone, whats next?

DKW 86

Finebaum encourages Malzahn to leave for Arkansas...

“As far as Chad Morris, there’s no reason to pile on,” Finebaum said on WJOX. “ I think the record is self evident as far as what kind of coach he was. As far as Gus Malzahn, I think he has to consider it. Regardless of this weekend or two weekends from now, we all know the circumstances at Auburn. It’s just a never-ending soap opera. There are people who genuinely love Gus Malzahn and appreciate him. There’s an equal number who don’t. I don’t think that’s going to change.

“To me, he gambled two years ago. He made a lot of money. Now I would leave. I don’t think it’s a difficult decision for Gus. I would take the money. We’ve all covered transitions. You’re taking over for Chad Morris, who has one of the worst records, one of the most inept, incompetent and laughable programs I have ever seen in the history of covering the SEC. What do you have to do? … Go to a bowl game and they’ll give you a parade.”

Malzahn is a longtime friend of Morris, and issued his own reaction to the news on Sunday night, via Auburn Undercover.

"I hate it for Chad," Malzahn said. "He's a wonderful person, a wonderful coach. He'll bounce back. There's no doubt he'll bounce back. I just hurt for him.

Morris was in just his second year at Arkansas after the Razorbacks hired him to replace Bret Biielema in Fayetteville.

For an in-depth look at the candidate pool, VIP members can click here. Join now and get two months for just $1.

2COMMENTS

“As part of my continued evaluation, I have come to the conclusion that a change in leadership is necessary to move our football program forward and position it for success.” athletic director Hunter Yurachek said. “It is clear that we have not made the progress necessary to compete and win, especially within the Southeastern Conference. Throughout our history in football as well as with our other sport programs, we have demonstrated that the University of Arkansas is capable of being nationally competitive. I have no doubt that as we move forward we will identify a head coach that will help lead out program to that benchmark.

“I want to express my personal and professional regard to Coach Morris and thank him for his investment in the lives of our student athletes.”

Archived