Really seems to me

Georgia, focus...it must be.

Since two parties must agree...

Believe that I'll just wait and see. 

PREACH!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is no doubt in my mind Gus Loves Auburn and wants to stay here.  Saban is 68 if Gus can wait a few more years things get a lot easier. It would help if Gus could also change. Now as to Gus staying he needs to win at least 1 of the bama  or Georgia games and other has to be close. Loses both probably gone if he loses both and one is a shellacking he is gone.  With our D I think both games will be close and we could win 1 both or neither.

If he wins both he stays but remains on the hot seat. 

1 hour ago, gravejd said:

anyone who thinks Gus is going to leave AU to take on a rebuild at Arky has lost their minds

But do you know his?  I spent too much time last night researching old UArk and ArkyState articles during his previous tenures that painted an interesting picture of his perception of the environment and programs, especially as connected to home. I would not underestimate the pull there to write new chapters on unfinished business. Some people LOVE a personal challenge in some ways that becomes a reprieve in others. Know your pet peeves, and that directs a lot of your decision-making.

If he's happy to go for whatever a reason, a win-win for all involved is not out of reach. He may or may not have a choice as the next three weeks unfold. As Natasha Bedingfield sings, "the future's yet unwritten." 

Watch, wait, and cheer on the boys! That's my story and I'm sticking to it. 😉

Marcello just made a post on AUC that says, "He ain't leaving unless something wild happens." It sounds like 2017 permanently soured a lot of influential Arky people to Gus.  

2 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

Marcello just made a post on AUC that says, "He ain't leaving unless something wild happens." It sounds like 2017 permanently soured a lot of influential Arky people to Gus.  

What's Marcello's prediction or mindreading record? Asking for a friend...😉😁

Just now, ToraGirl said:

What's Marcello's prediction or mindreading record? Asking for a friend...😉😁

Our influential is split, too. 🤔🤣

26 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

But do you know his?  I spent too much time last night researching old UArk and ArkyState articles during his previous tenures that painted an interesting picture of his perception of the environment and programs, especially as connected to home. I would not underestimate the pull there to write new chapters on unfinished business. Some people LOVE a personal challenge in some ways that becomes a reprieve in others. Know your pet peeves, and that directs a lot of your decision-making.

If he's happy to go for whatever a reason, a win-win for all involved is not out of reach. He may or may not have a choice as the next three weeks unfold. As Natasha Bedingfield sings, "the future's yet unwritten." 

Watch, wait, and cheer on the boys! That's my story and I'm sticking to it. 😉

Lol well maybe you can wish this into reality... good luck!!

47 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

“I love Auburn," Malzahn said. "Like I said in the past, I love my players, and we got a bright future here. Nothing’s changed.”  For those that wanted to see his full quote.

We all know Gus is a stand up guy but what did any reporter expect him to say? "Yes, I'd love to have the Arkansas job if they'll have me, my agent is working behind the scenes as we speak" . Of course not. 

GM is not leaving AU unless he is fired. There is a reason that in the last 70 years only one left because he wanted too. Jordan retired but other than that they were let go. Heck we fire them and they leave for a couple of years and come back here to retire or live. Auburn is Auburn and there is a reason all of us love it and the coaches are no different than anyone else.  

Maybe we could hire Steven Leath as a consultant, and he could convince the University to give CGM a seven year ($49) million extension. Yikes!

You know, to keep him from bolting to Arkansas. Any support for this out there?

5 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Lol well maybe you can wish this into reality... good luck!!

That's pretty bold. Hope for your sake you can say the same thing if you "wish" differently than the reality of how things turn out. 

4 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

That's pretty bold. Hope for your sake you can say the same thing if you "wish" differently than the reality of how things turn out. 

Its bold that i call your expectation for Malzahn to leave AU for a rebuild job at arky wishful thinking? I'll give you i don't know his mind but Arky is a tough job. Lesser expectations then AU but also less talent to pull from in the state and surrounding areas. 

Anyway....i thought you were joking about it and i was joking back at you. Apologies for the mix up 

4 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Its bold that i call your expectation for Malzahn to leave AU for a rebuild job at arky wishful thinking? I'll give you i don't know his mind but Arky is a tough job. Lesser expectations then AU but also less talent to pull from in the state and surrounding areas. 

Anyway....i thought you were joking about it and i was joking back at you. Apologies for the mix up 

No worries, I gotcha! After reading those articles, I just felt as if I was seeing things through his eyes a bit...as we age, home strings can pull. I'd also forgotten he took a sizable pay cut to go to AState, which floored the media, so for those who are certain the money is #1 to him, I'm not so sure. More than anything, I believe I've read that they want to be where they are wanted. I'm just not sure where that is anymore, perception or reality...🤔💔

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Why would he leave ?! He has got it made here. Sad that he has to state this though . Wink 😉 *sexton*

Exactly!

He's got is MADE and so does his offensive coaching staff full of "on-the-job-training" guys.  They all know this is the best opportunity to pull bank at high profile program in the SEC.

10 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

No worries, I gotcha! After reading those articles, I just felt as if I was seeing things through his eyes a bit...as we age, home strings can pull. I'd also forgotten he took a sizable pay cut to go to AState, which floored the media, so for those who are certain the money is #1 to him, I'm not so sure. More than anything, I believe I've read that they want to be where they are wanted. I'm just not sure where that is anymore, perception or reality...🤔💔

I don't think Gus is primarily motivated by money.  I think he wants to be successful as a football coach and I think he loves the game and loves his team.  However, I'm not optimistic that he's capable of getting us to the level where we want to be.  If his seat heats up due to poor performances against UGA and Bama, that may provide some impetus for him to 'get while the gettin' is good'. 

Note also, that I do expect us to be competitive against UGA and Bama and fully expect Gus to be the HC in Auburn next season.  How that season goes (with a new o-line and attrition on the defense) will determine if he stays beyond 2020  

2 hours ago, Mike4AU said:

I see where Gus said he loves AU and the future is bright, but I have yet to see where he specifically said he is staying.  Absent that declarative statement one could conclude that Sexton and Gus are posturing again. 

Trying to draw from the same well that made 'em rich in '17?  It worked once, and watch what happens when AU beats UGA/UA in JHS.

22 minutes ago, RHN1975 said:

GM is not leaving AU unless he is fired. There is a reason that in the last 70 years only one left because he wanted too. Jordan retired but other than that they were let go. Heck we fire them and they leave for a couple of years and come back here to retire or live. Auburn is Auburn and there is a reason all of us love it and the coaches are no different than anyone else.  

I agree. Let me preface my forthcoming statement in saying, I have been a fan of AU for 40+ years. With that said, after rethinking much of my dismay and anger, GM is 60 and 29 at AU. While that is not great, it is not shabby either. I agree, he needs to adhere to how football offenses have changed in the last five years. We have a true freshman, that is going to win at least eight games his first year and as up and down as he has been, we could have won both. Yes, we will lose our d line after this year, but if we hang on to Steele, I believe we will be okay. Plus, Bo will have had a full season of playing the top competition  in the nation. I do think if we stay in the top 12 of recruiting, this program will be in the playoff pic by 2021. My oldest friend is a GA grad and they are not as happy as they sound or appear to be. Kirby is not Saban and never will be. We lost Joey, but they lost Fields who had his team in the top four currently. We have played a brutal schedule compared to AL and GA with a true freshman QB and we are still in the hunt for a New Years 6 bowl which would actually be a great accomplishment. I believe if our players make enough plays on O against GA, then our D will keep us close enough to gain a win. And that goes for the Bama game as well. Thoughts everyone? 

2 minutes ago, Old fan 47 said:

I agree. Let me preface my forthcoming statement in saying, I have been a fan of AU for 40+ years. With that said, after rethinking much of my dismay and anger, GM is 60 and 29 at AU. While that is not great, it is not shabby either. I agree, he needs to adhere to how football offenses have changed in the last five years. We have a true freshman, that is going to win at least eight games his first year and as up and down as he has been, we could have won both. Yes, we will lose our d line after this year, but if we hang on to Steele, I believe we will be okay. Plus, Bo will have had a full season of playing the top competition  in the nation. I do think if we stay in the top 12 of recruiting, this program will be in the playoff pic by 2021. My oldest friend is a GA grad and they are not as happy as they sound or appear to be. Kirby is not Saban and never will be. We lost Joey, but they lost Fields who had his team in the top four currently. We have played a brutal schedule compared to AL and GA with a true freshman QB and we are still in the hunt for a New Years 6 bowl which would actually be a great accomplishment. I believe if our players make enough plays on O against GA, then our D will keep us close enough to gain a win. And that goes for the Bama game as well. Thoughts everyone? 

CGM & Co aren't going anywhere any time soon.  I just don't think Auburn wants to break national records by paying one single coach +$35.5MM to coach this season and then send him packing + buyout his staff + buyout another HC somewhere else + a whole new staff. You're pushing upwards of $40-$45MM to transition to another staff.

Can you imagine what that would look like with tuition and student fees continuously rising?  To see a top class academic institution fork out that kind of $$ for a football coach that wins more than he loses, the optics would be horrible.  And I think with Prez Gouge in place for a while, he'd have a strong opinion on Auburn making a move like that..  JMHO

CGM thinks the future is bright, we'll see real soon how bright this season can get.

Anyone who thinks by keeping Gus will help our football program has lost their mind. We've heard this same from Gus at the end of each season since he's been head coach. If the BOT's the press and AD him, then we can expect more of the same crappy coaching that he's he's produced since 2014. 12-2, 8-5, 8-5, 7-6, 10-4, 8-5 and looking like its gonna be another 8-5 in 2019 and 2-4 In bowl games for the 7 million dollar a year man.

Archived