Gus says he’s staying

PigskinPat

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, PigskinPat said:

Says “we’ve got a bright future here”. Seems like I’ve heard Gus say that before maybe once or twice or 500 times.....

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28065890/gus-malzahn-arkansas-coaching-vacancy-love-auburn

ALWAYS post at least a portion of the article and never just a link

Translation... "I love Auburn's money. Ask me again when my contract runs out."

2 minutes ago, WarTim said:

Gus is HC. Will be HC. JMHO 

My very liberal translation...

Gus is HC at Auburn. Will be HC at Arkansas. :big:

in the history of anyone searching for a job  has  any intelligent person every admitted to searching or entertaining the idea of another job to their current boss?   

yall didnt expect him to come out and say  "hell yeah,  but lets see how these last 3 games playout" 

6 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

Really seems to me

Georgia, focus...it must be.

Since two parties must agree...

Believe that I'll just wait and see. 

ToraGirl have you tried Haiku?

53 minutes ago, WarTim said:

And it does nothing good for AU recruiting and the team itself to have this discussion with two major opponents ahead.      JMO but this a  discussion for December, not early Nov. 

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

And it does nothing good for AU recruiting and the team itself to have this discussion with two major opponents ahead.      JMO but this a  discussion for December, not early Nov. 

E746F154-216A-420F-9949-EB59A01C921A.gif

33 minutes ago, Auskip said:

ToraGirl have you tried Haiku?

I think I do love

Word play ev'ry chance I get

My math could use work.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Made it through 1st qtr Calculus in Parker Hall. I do not know how. Those were the "pre-pre-med" days...😫😫😃

Should clarify...I'm all up in analogies, patterning, logic puzzles, geometry, some types of mathematical reasoning, etc. It's just that letters standing for numbers and big Ss (integrals?) are of the devil. 🤨😉😡

If we beat UGA and Bammer Gus is the greatest and needs an extension.  If we lose both he is a loser and needs to be fired.  If we win one and lose one it’s somewhere between those two extremes.  I’m glad us folks on the message board and Paul Pondscum don’t get to make the decisions.  We would run the program in the ditch so far it would never get out.  

Gus has not got us on probation (like we have been in the past).  Gus is not accused of cheating (like some coaches in our past).  The team is winning (unlike some in the past).   The players are playing hard, playing with class, winning and losing with class and graduating with degrees (see Derrick Brown, Marlon Davidson, et. al., too numerous to mention).  We are not one of those other programs in the SEC that really have coaching problems (it could be a whole lot worse).  We play the toughest schedule in the nation (that’s why we are on national TV so much and does anyone have any doubt we are undefeated playing Clemson’s schedule).  Most of all we are not Bammer (thank God).  

Would we all rather be 15 - 0 and win a national championship every year?  You bet!  Is that gonna happen regardless of who the head coach is?  No, not with our schedule.  Finally, Thanksgiving is coming up.  Be thankful!

Excuse, justify, deflect

Wash, rinse, repeat

The schedule isn't causing us to lose games. The lack of competent offense is. In games against good teams the Malzahn offense looks more like the Loefler offense. Gus was specifically hired for his up-tempo, high scoring dynamic offense. We haven't seen that since '14 TAMU. 

13 hours ago, WarTim said:

Agree. Seriously how can anyone really think he is gone? He will not be fired because his payout is ridiculous. It would take a booster with a lot of money and clout. I just do not see us getting rid of a coach that has a winning record and runs a clean program. We all want more for Auburn football but it is what it is at this point. 

Since when do we give thumbs up for running a clean program? To me the auburn people who say that is vilify their own program. Auburn hasn’t been unclean in football since the days of my infancy. That is the most ridiculous tag line to applaud for.  

40 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

He will not be fired because his payout is ridiculous.

Money is not an obstacle. It wasn't last year either.

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

The schedule isn't causing us to lose games. 

No, it's not. That said, it does frustrate the hell out of me sometimes - especially when other teams have such cupcake schedules. There's almost no doubt in my mind that Auburn would be an undefeated playoff team if we played Clemson's schedule. Now, we'd likely get smoked in the playoffs, but still.

I hope Clemson gets obliterated.

8 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

No, it's not. That said, it does frustrate the hell out of me sometimes - especially when other teams have such cupcake schedules. There's almost no doubt in my mind that Auburn would be an undefeated playoff team if we played Clemson's schedule. Now, we'd likely get smoked in the playoffs, but still.

I hope Clemson gets obliterated.

I hear you but Clemson is as good as anybody in the country, schedule or not. Maybe a notch below LSU and tOSU but they are as good as anybody else. The combination of good coaching+player development+elite recruiting is hard to beat. Auburn has that potential I truly believe.....

1 minute ago, fredst said:

I hear you but Clemson is as good as anybody in the country, schedule or not. Maybe a notch below LSU and tOSU but they are as good as anybody else. The combination of good coaching+player development+elite recruiting is hard to beat. Auburn has that potential I truly believe.....

There's no doubt, and I don't think they are necessarily a notch beneath anyone. You could argue they are the best program in the country right now. 

13 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

There's no doubt, and I don't think they are necessarily a notch beneath anyone. You could argue they are the best program in the country right now. 

Agree. It’s been interesting (and frustrating) to watch Dabo take that good-but/chronically-underachieving program to an elite level. I think that is a lot of what is driving my Gus-stration- program envy, knowing that could be AU.

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Excuse, justify, deflect

Wash, rinse, repeat

The schedule isn't causing us to lose games. The lack of competent offense is. In games against good teams the Malzahn offense looks more like the Loefler offense. Gus was specifically hired for his up-tempo, high scoring dynamic offense. We haven't seen that since '14 TAMU. 

I am waiting for someone to make the point that we the SEC W, pretty much all play the same teams with the same rankings of those peers in our conference,  dates mixed up. On any given AWAY Saturday, we CAN look great. On any given Saturday AT HOME, we CAN look awful. Goes for any team, but teams with patterns turning into trends are concerning. 

Spoiler, fluke...those are words we didn't always hear with Auburn. If we did and I don't remember, that's not something I wish for the present, future. 

3 hours ago, DAG said:

Since when do we give thumbs up for running a clean program? To me the auburn people who say that is vilify their own program. Auburn hasn’t been unclean in football since the days of my infancy. That is the most ridiculous tag line to applaud for.  

I'll give him a thumbs up the rest of my life, if he'll hire a real staff and let them take off with it.

3 hours ago, DAG said:

Good point. I still do not see firing a coach that goes 8-4 with all losses to top 15 teams and us paying $29 million to let him go. Granted it has “sort of” worked for UGA who fired MR for not winning championships but it seems like a rare situation to fire a winning coach and pay a lot to do it. 
again - I am not a Gus fan but we would need to make sure we have a really good coach lined up for this to even be conceivable. 

Archived