I want Mario Cristobal

SKIPPER_01

21 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

No he's not.  Tom Herman was an OC at Ohio St. and had no HC experience.  Jeff Brohm was at a small Group of 5 school and took one of the toughest jobs in a Power 5 conference at Purdue.  Cristobal took a fledgling FIU program that was only 6 years old when he came in and won their conference and went to two straight bowl games.  Now he's taken Oregon to a 9-4 season and this year will likely be 10-2 going into the Pac 12 title game. He's been an outstanding offensive line coach before this and one of the best recruiters in the country when he was in the Southeast.

You don't have to like him, but this is lazy reasoning. 

Not about like or dislike (I’m not qualified to say who would be good)but this board has turned into “anyone but Gus”. It’s tiresome. I’m Gus neutral. As much money as he’s already made, if I’m him I negotiate a lower buyout and go find another job.  I’m not sure why he wants to stick around.

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, BJCrawford said:

Not about like or dislike (I’m not qualified to say who would be good)but this board has turned into “anyone but Gus”. It’s tiresome. I’m Gus neutral. As much money as he’s already made, if I’m him I negotiate a lower buyout and go find another job.  I’m not sure why he wants to stick around.

Well, conversely I'd say for what he's paid, having 4-5 losses a year makes me wonder why we'd want him to stick around.

Well, I've been converted.  I'm back on the bus!

Until there's a viable candidate, who's 75-0 with 5 National Championships over the last 5 years, and has been quoted that he WANTS the AU job, numerous times by every sports outlet on TV, the internet & print, Auburn can do no better than Gus.

GUST OR BUST BABY!!!!!!

I still want Mario Cristobal.

Oregon laid a humongous egg against Arizona State, that's for sure, but I think it's going to be telling to see how Oregon rebounds in their final game and for the conference championship. I think Cristobal will get them all coached up for these games. 

2 hours ago, BJCrawford said:

Here, you have nailed it, and for emotional job satisfaction he may not. It's not about the money for him. I'm holding out for the win-win change of zip code...

11 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

Here, you have nailed it, and for emotional job satisfaction he may not. It's not about the money for him. I'm holding out for the win-win change of zip code...

The issue with that is who else maybe besides Arkansas wants Gus? A power 5 team anyway. Gus will not even change his offense because of his stubborn pride so i highly doubt he walks a way for a lower level HC job. I certainly wish he would walk away on his own but i just don't see it unless Arkansas saves us. 

Bottom line is we're going to have to suffer through 1 more year of Gus. If not after we lose again to UGA, then after we lose to Bama next year is when he'll likely be fired. I'm already preparing myself for much of the same next year or maybe worse considering we lose a lot on defense. 

20 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

The issue with that is who else maybe besides Arkansas wants Gus? A power 5 team anyway. Gus will not even change his offense because of his stubborn pride so i highly doubt he walks a way for a lower level HC job. I certainly wish he would walk away on his own but i just don't see it unless Arkansas saves us. 

Bottom line is we're going to have to suffer through 1 more year of Gus. If not after we lose again to UGA, then after we lose to Bama next year is when he'll likely be fired. I'm already preparing myself for much of the same next year or maybe worse considering we lose a lot on defense. 

We might be very, very surprised. No one really knows what makes another tick. We normally believe people would want what we do, but one quick scan through any thread posted here will dispel that notion quickly... 😁🤣

14 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

We might be very, very surprised. No one really knows what makes another tick. We normally believe people would want what we do, but one quick scan through any thread posted here will dispel that notion quickly... 😁🤣

Good point.   All the dissatisfaction and yet AG not giving any hints that he sees the need to make a change.   

Been thinking about this issue a bit today and seems that when naming our hoped for...next AU coach...almost everyone is basing their choice on W-L and maybe not even that. Yet....I've not seen a comment that I recall about which future coach would actually be a good "fit" at AU.      I mean, who would hire a person for an important job before an actual interview and detailed  background check yet people want to hire a coach then have never met and pay him millions just based on his public persona.     And on the other side, a coaching candidate will want to fit at AU.  For example, Chris Peterson has family needs that can't be met in the Auburn area.   Plus most of those guy make plenty of money, more than they can spend I guess,  so that's not the big an attraction as some think it is. 

WE saw a few years ago with Sunny G. what happens when a coach gets hired off his resume'.....and does not fit the school, the program or the community.  A bad hire that looked fairly good on paper.    We might as run a placement ad  in ZIP Recruiters and get the one who looks best.

Every coach is hired to be fired...(well other than Nick I guess)  so Gus's days are numbered....30, 400 or who knows but getting a new coach who fits the concept of the AU family is not gonna be that easy and just trying to latch on to the current "hot coach" makes no sense IMO.   AG does not appear eager to take AU out into market place of coaches any time soon. 

4 hours ago, DAG said:

I don’t think it is the undefeated thing .

it is the losing to inferior opponents but like I said, we have a coach who has loss to inferior opponents and the same people gloating are the same

people saying keep him. Bob Stoops loss to inferior opponents all the time. Urban Meyer definitely has his shares of losing to inferior opponents. However, the body of work matters the most. 

Bro...lol. I know...was being facetious. 

3 hours ago, AUDynasty said:

I still want Mario Cristobal.

Oregon laid a humongous egg against Arizona State, that's for sure, but I think it's going to be telling to see how Oregon rebounds in their final game and for the conference championship. I think Cristobal will get them all coached up for these games. 

6 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

Yeah but i just don't see Gus leaving on his own unless it's Arkansas or a better job. He's made it very clear he wants to be at Auburn and was willing to stake his job this season by being the OC. He'll have to be fired but i hope and pray someone can take him on our behalf. 

1 minute ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Yeah but i just don't see Gus leaving on his own unless it's Arkansas or a better job. He's made it very clear he wants to be at Auburn and was willing to stake his job this season by being the OC. He'll have to be fired but i hope and pray someone can take him on our behalf. 

Yeah him leaving on his own is a pipe dream I’m afraid. And I’ve lost faith that anyone in power is willing to fire him. Its a horrible situation.

14 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

A wild card, which none of us can know...how happy is Kristi? Because "if Mama ain't happy..."

4 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

A wild card, which none of us can know...how happy is Kristi? Because "if Mama ain't happy..."

Nah. It's a pipe dream. They're not going anywhere voluntarily. They're just not. Yes, those things can play a factor but not that much in this situation. If that was the case then he would've left last year. I'm just wishing on here but he's not going anywhere. She can be unhappy all she wants but Auburn is writing the checks and Gus is bringing home the money. 

8 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

Gus ain't leaving Auburn by his own accord. He knows Auburn is his best shot at winning championships as a HC and he still believes in himself. C'mon, ya'll have seen the stubbornness. 

39 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I do not think he necessarily wants to be at Auburn. It is just he does not want anything to do with Arkansas and I do not blame him!!! lol. It is a death sentence for a coaches career right now. Arkansas is one of the WORST power 5 jobs in the whole country right now looking at the current landscape.  Maybe THE worse. I think if even the equivalent of a Ole Miss type of job or Miss ST at the power 5 level threw him a good salary he would run and take it. Because he obviously knows his time is almost near at Auburn...... OR HELL Maybe he doesn't!!! haha. This man is clearly delusional. He thought the solution was for him to "take back playcalling" for this offense. He thinks he is the answer.................... 

15 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

Gus ain't leaving Auburn by his own accord.

Can he leave by his own BMW? :big:

10 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I do not think he necessarily wants to be at Auburn. It is just he does not want anything to do with Arkansas and I do not blame him!!! lol. It is a death sentence for a coaches career right now. Arkansas is one of the WORST power 5 jobs in the whole country right now looking at the current landscape.  Maybe THE worse. I think if even the equivalent of a Ole Miss type of job or Miss ST at the power 5 level threw him a good salary he would run and take it. Because he obviously knows his time is almost near at Auburn...... OR HELL Maybe he doesn't!!! haha. This man is clearly delusional. He thought the solution was for him to "take back playcalling" for this offense. He thinks he is the answer.................... 

Oh i agree 100% Arkansas is a horrible job but considering Gus's options outside of Auburn...he's not on any other Power 5 teams list. At least he'd be coaching in his home state and the expectations wouldn't nearly be close to that at Auburn. They'd love for him to be a consistent 4 to 5 loss coach with a chance of a special year every 5 or 6 years mixed in. I'm just wishing out loud but i don't think he's high on their list this time anyway. 

He's gotten away with it this long being at a big university and making major money and not having to worry about getting canned. So, i'd wait for them to fire me too. That's how delusional he is! I just think Gus is that stubborn that he's not going to leave on his own or he would've left for Arkansas when he had the chance. That crazy man ain't going anywhere on his own unless by some miracle someone offers him a job in the NFL. lol.

11 hours ago, DAG said:

However, the body of work matters the most. 

It's a losing battle with some in this crowd who can't see the forest for the trees. 

I'll even do you one better....Cristobal knows how to build championship caliber teams. He's doing it at Oregon, right now. Winning along the LOS and surrounding yourself with the best coaching staff available. I've got all the confidence in the world that he'd hire a capable staff here, and not surround himself by yes men. Furthermore, he's not even married to any one scheme which is a plus, to me.

We need someone that's willing to go toe2toe with our rivals, who happen to be at or near the CFB hill atm. This cat, Cristobal, has what it takes. He's an alpha.

His winning percentage away from my school isn't factor #1 if he's the best fit.....

1 minute ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Oh i agree 100% Arkansas is a horrible job but considering Gus's options outside of Auburn...he's not on any other Power 5 teams list. At least he'd be coaching in his home state and the expectations wouldn't nearly be close to that at Auburn. They'd love for him to be a consistent 4 to 5 loss coach with a chance of a special year every 5 or 6 years mixed in. I'm just wishing out loud but i don't think he's high on their list this time anyway. 

He's gotten away with it this long being at a big university and making major money and not having to worry about getting canned. So, i'd wait for them to fire me too. That's how delusional he is! I just think Gus is that stubborn that he's not going to leave on his own or he would've left for Arkansas when he had the chance. That crazy man ain't going anywhere on his own unless by some miracle someone offers him a job in the NFL. lol.

I really do think he is done if he loses the Iron Bowl. He cannot survive losing to Mac Freaking Jones at home with the best defense in the country. The only defense in the whole country that can slow down Joe Burrows. Going 0 for 3 AGAIN against the big 3 when 2 of them were home games AND going to 6-15 vs them overall??? The people who tried to get him out last year will get there way. Now do I think it will happened immediately on december 2nd? No. In typical Auburn fashion they will hem and haw like last year but eventually he will get the boot. There is just no point in bringing him back when next year will be more of the same but probaly worse with all of our losses on defense AND playing AT bama and AT Georgia. 

HAHAHAHAAHHA your post is giving me LIFE!!!!!!! I love it fam!!! Completely and utterly agree!!! Your post needs to be pinned for all to see!

Sorry for going off course. lol. I like Cristobal but I didn't think that highly of him before Oregon lost. I'm impressed with how he has Oregon playing more physical but that offense is too conservative for me and has looked that way all season. They got lucky against Washington. Herbert is ok but i never understood the hype with him. I think they should open up the offense more. Sounds familiar? He just seems like a guy who wants to grind out a game. Our OL wouldn't be an issue but I like several coaches ahead of Cristobal.

Archived