I want Mario Cristobal

SKIPPER_01

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Why do you think that?

Year Team Overall Conference Standing Bowl/playoffs Coaches# AP°
FIU Golden Panthers / Panthers (Sun Belt Conference) (2007–2012)
2007 FIU 1–11 1–6 7th      
2008 FIU 5–7 3–4 T–5th      
2009 FIU 3–9 3–5 6th      
2010 FIU 7–6 6–2 T–1st W Little Caesars Pizza    
2011 FIU 8–5 5–3 4th L Beef 'O' Brady's    
2012 FIU 3–9 2–6 T–8th      
FIU: 27–47 20–26  
Oregon Ducks (Pac-12 Conference) (2017–present)
2017 Oregon 0–1 0–0 4th (North) L Las Vegas    
2018 Oregon 9–4 5–4 4th (North) W Redbox    
2019 Oregon 8–1 6–0 (North)      
Oregon: 17–6 11–4  
Total: 44–53  
      National championship         Conference title         Conference division title or championship game berth

So think this guy would win 10+ games in the hardest conference in college football?

not happening, nothing against  him personally I just don't think he has what it take to be a SEC coach 

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Mario has head coached one full season in the Pac and showed little at FL Intl before that. Perfect example of the knee jerk "fire Gus, hire ____" crowd. He LOST to Gus Malzahn! Amazing recruiter though. 

So has Nick Saban.  You saying that if Saban wanted to coach here and take us to amazing heights, you would turn him down because of that?

Tuberville lost to AU in 98.  We won exactly three games that year.  At the end of 98, we hired Tubs.  I wouldn't consider that a bad hire either.

8 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Gus has had 4 or more losses in 4 of his first 6 years here. You really do not think Cristobal could do better than that? You treat Gus like he is this mythical figure when he is just a slightly above average Head Coach. Ok Mikey. Since lets just be real here. You do not think anyone that would come here we name is better lets just cut the bs. I will ask you straight up who do you think is better than Gus that would come here? Just tell us so we can finally find a coach other than freaking Gus you want on the sidelines.

He didn't do better than that at FIU, including going 3-9 in his 6th season there and getting fired for amassing a 27-47 record. If, after six years, the best a guy can do is 3-9 it's no wonder he got fired. AU fired Chizik for going 3-9 just two years after winning a National Championship. Four of Cristobal's six years there were losing seasons. Is that what Auburn is looking for?

It's not up to me to say who would be better here, it's up to the people that want Gus fired. All I'm asking is who would come here that has a better record than Gus? So far I haven't seen it. Mostly it's just been pick the guy that's having ONE great year and saying "oooh, lets get this guy!" People are acting like a small child with a bright, shiny new toy with no thought to the fact that it might rust in a month.

1 minute ago, JJB74 said:

I just don't think he has what it take to be a SEC coach 

This is what I'm interested in. Why do you think this? What characteristics do you feel it necessary to win in the SECw?

1 minute ago, JJB74 said:
2007 FIU 1–11 1–6 7th      
2008 FIU 5–7 3–4 T–5th      
2009 FIU 3–9 3–5 6th      
2012 FIU 3–9 2–6 T–8th      
      National championship         Conference title         Conference division title or championship game berth

So think this guy would win 10+ games in the hardest conference in college football?

not happening, nothing against  him personally I just don't think he has what it take to be a SEC coach 

Here's the problem.  You're assuming coaches don't change or adapt.  Ed Orgeron is a prime example that indeed, good coaches do get better over time if given a second shot.  Could be that Cristobal has simply gotten better.

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

All I'm asking is who would come here that has a better record than Gus?

It's not about who has a better record. It's who is the better coach. Coaching and records can be significantly skewed depending on circumstances. Do you think Lincoln Riley would be as successful at UTEP? Would Ryan Day be killing it at Sam Houston State? How would Gus's record look at FIU? To compare records is short sighted and a cop out. 

4 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Here's the problem.  You're assuming coaches don't change or adapt.  Ed Orgeron is a prime example that indeed, good coaches do get better over time if given a second shot.  Could be that Cristobal has simply gotten better.

There's only one I can think of that doesn't

This guy won a NC at Auburn. BTW, this was when the SEC West had 5 times at the end of the year in the TOP 15. Edit: he also had to play the SEC east champion twice. 

Iowa State Cyclones (Big 12 Conference) (2007–2008)
2007 Iowa State 3–9 2–6 T–5th (North)      
2008 Iowa State 2–10 0–8 6th (North)      
Iowa State: 5–19 2–14

9 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Gus has had 4 or more losses in 4 of his first 6 years here. You really do not think Cristobal could do better than that? You treat Gus like he is this mythical figure when he is just a slightly above average Head Coach. Ok Mikey. Since lets just be real here. You do not think anyone that would come here we name is better lets just cut the bs. I will ask you straight up who do you think is better than Gus that would come here? Just tell us so we can finally find a coach other than freaking Gus you want on the sidelines.

Gwill, you are wasting keyboard breath trying to argue reasonably here. Anybody that is looking objectively and isn’t satisfied with mediocrity would say that we have underperformed on the field since an exciting but incredibly lucky run in 2013. Those people will make every excuse to justify Gus remaining our coach indefinitely because they “just want to support the coach we have” rather than looking at the product on the field and realizing we should aspire to more than a 4.5 loss/year average. You should just get in line to be a true Auburn fan like those folks. This thinking that maybe Auburn can be better than what we’ve been the last 6 years and historically is just craziness. Next thing, you’ll be saying we should be able to go to the Final Four in mens b-ball or the CWS in baseball. WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU??? WOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!LET’S GGGOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Just now, fredst said:

Gwill, you are wasting keyboard breath trying to argue reasonably here. Anybody that is looking objectively and isn’t satisfied with mediocrity would say that we have underperformed on the field since an exciting but incredibly lucky run in 2013. Those people will make every excuse to justify Gus remaining our coach indefinitely because they “just want to support the coach we have” rather than looking at the product on the field and realizing we should aspire to more than a 4.5 loss/year average. You should just get in line to be a true Auburn fan like those folks. This thinking that maybe Auburn can be better than what we’ve been the last 6 years and historically is just craziness. Next thing, you’ll be saying we should be able to go to the Final Four in mens b-ball or theCWS in baseball. WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU??? WOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

tenor.gif

2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Or, it could be that Orgeron has a QB that's having a once in a decade season. When evaluating coaching prospects their won-loss records are important. Other factors can and should be included, but speculation that a guy has improved based on one or two seasons isn't sufficient reason to disregard an entire career's losing record.

I use to flip out on the Wolfpack but now I am starting to see their frustration . I get now why people were frustrated with me but I like to think I tried to be somewhat objective .

Just now, Mikey said:

speculation that a guy has improved based on one or two seasons isn't sufficient reason to disregard an entire career's losing record.

How about 7?

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

This guy won a NC at Auburn. BTW, this was when the SEC West had 5 times at the end of the year in the TOP 15.

Iowa State Cyclones (Big 12 Conference) (2007–2008)
2007 Iowa State 3–9 2–6 T–5th (North)      
2008 Iowa State 2–10 0–8 6th (North)      
Iowa State: 5–19 2–14

yea and was ran out of town

44 minutes ago, DAG said:

No we don’t need to expand the playoffs either only to water it down. Put our big boy pants on and learn how to handle these teams. 

This. Informally the playoffs are basically the month of November for any team that is contending at that point. A P5 school with no more than 2 losses has at least a Wildcard's chance by winning out albeit those chances are slim. Playoffs are win or go home. If you lose in November then your NC dreams are over (unless you are Bama of course).

Can he evaluate talent? Can he hire qualified coaches and not green Auburn faves? Can he recruit need and not just stars? Can he put a modern offense on the field that doesn't rely on gimmicks to succeed? 

That's all I ask in a coach. We have a guy who spent most of his career in high school. Our last coach came in with a losing record at Iowa St. Tubs wasn't setting the world on fire at Ole Miss. We don't exactly hire the best of the best, historically. I think Cristobal measures up better than most. 

1 hour ago, Cardin Drake said:

Well, Cristobal's best wins this year were over 6-4 Washington, and a 2 point squeaker at home against (#41 Sagarin rating) Washington State 2 weeks ago.  He has plenty of talent on his team, but I really have no idea how he'd do with our schedule. 

I'm not trying to dis Cristobal. I think he's a good coach, but it's a stretch to say if only we had him, we'd start beating LSU, Alabama, and Georgia on a regular basis.  We need an 8 or 16 team playoff, no matter who the coach is.  Murderer's row ain't gonna change, no matter how many times we change coaches.

I agree we can't say for sure.  What I can say for sure is this:  there's no way Cristobal would have allowed our OL recruiting to be in the state it's been the last few years.  And that is our Achilles heel.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

I use to flip out on the Wolfpack but now I am starting to see their frustration . I get now why people were frustrated with me but I like to think I tried to be somewhat objective .

tenor.gif

Welcome

Just now, JJB74 said:

Yes because he was NOT a good coach , yet he won a NC.

You just said anyone can win 10 games at Oregon. False. Not just anyone. A quality coach can. So imagine what a quality coach could do here with our talent if a guy who was god awful ADAPTED and found a way to win a NC in one of the hardest divisions of all time.

2 minutes ago, JJB74 said:

Because he lost the team and sold his soul to get the job and was a glorified puppet.

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

How about 7?

When Gus's 7 is way better than the Cristobal's 7, that's good enough reason to look somewhere besides at Cristobal. Cristobal's assumed success at AU is based on nothing but speculation and wishful thinking. There is nothing in his record to justify such optimism.

9 minutes ago, Mikey said:

When Gus's 7 is way better than the Cristobal's 7, that's good enough reason to look somewhere besides at Cristobal. Cristobal's assumed success at AU is based on nothing but speculation and wishful thinking. There is nothing in his record to justify such optimism.

And everything in Gus' to justify the apathy and pessimism

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yes because he was NOT a good coach , yet he won a NC.

You just said anyone can win 10 games at Oregon. False. Not just anyone. A quality coach can. So imagine what a quality coach could do here with our talent if a guy who was god awful ADAPTED and found a way to win a NC in one of the hardest divisions of all time.

so you are saying it's easier to win at Auburn than Oregon because of the talent Auburn has?

please Oregon's schedule is a joke year in and year out , the only decent team they have played they lost and to that coach you say needs be fired

If Mario is such a good coach  he would have never lost that game to auburn this year. there were so many mental  mistakes he made in that game 

6 hours ago, JJB74 said:
2007 FIU 1–11 1–6 7th      
2008 FIU 5–7 3–4 T–5th      
2009 FIU 3–9 3–5 6th      
2012 FIU 3–9 2–6 T–8th      

Pat Dye's record before Auburn:

Screen Shot 2019-11-13 at 9.14.06 AM.png

Tommy Tuberville's record prior to Auburn:

Screen Shot 2019-11-13 at 9.15.11 AM.png

Ed Orgeron's HC record prior to LSU:

Screen Shot 2019-11-13 at 9.15.59 AM.png

Nick Saban's record prior to LSU:

Screen Shot 2019-11-13 at 9.16.48 AM.png

Steve Spurrier's record prior to Florida:

Screen Shot 2019-11-13 at 9.17.41 AM.png

I think your logic might have a flaw.

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

I think I’m pretty objective.....and I welcome you with open arms (paws🤔?)

DA3B95E2-2AA0-4262-A4FA-2B6D3D3CE15F.gif

Archived