Equestrian 2020 Signees

auburnphan

• 1 month later...

Any idea what kind of scholarship aid these young ladies get?   Lots of riders on the team.....NCAA allows 15 equivalent.....

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Any idea what kind of scholarship aid these young ladies get?   Lots of riders on the team.....NCAA allows 15 equivalent.....

I should have asked that at a recent campus event when AU's coaches were in attendance. I've been wondering but it didn't occur to me to ask when I had the opportunity.

Now, I'll say this: Equestrian isn't a sport for the financially impaired. It's expensive to the point that most people cannot afford it. After years of hauling around to events, a friend's daughter got a scholarship to ride for a junior college in Texas. He told me he could have payed her way through four years at Harvard for what he spent on Equestrian. All that's to say that being in a top notch program with top notch coaching and facilities is probably more important to these riders than what % of a scholarship they might be offered. The family money is almost certainly already there to pay for college and beyond.

I keep and ride horses myself, just for recreational use, not competition. Even at my level, a typical suburban family could not afford to have a backyard horse, let alone the animals and training required to compete.

Anyone that hasn't been out there recently, check out the Equestrian facility on Wire Road on your next trip to campus. It's mind boggling. I worked there as a 20 hour a week student employee way back when. It's 50X the facility it was back then.

34 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I should have asked that at a recent campus event when AU's coaches were in attendance. I've been wondering but it didn't occur to me to ask when I had the opportunity.

Now, I'll say this: Equestrian isn't a sport for the financially impaired. It's expensive to the point that most people cannot afford it. After years of hauling around to events, a friend's daughter got a scholarship to ride for a junior college in Texas. He told me he could have payed her way through four years at Harvard for what he spent on Equestrian. All that's to say that being in a top notch program with top notch coaching and facilities is probably more important to these riders than what % of a scholarship they might be offered. The family money is almost certainly already there to pay for college and beyond.

I keep and ride horses myself, just for recreational use, not competition. Even at my level, a typical suburban family could not afford to have a backyard horse, let alone the animals and training required to compete.

Anyone that hasn't been out there recently, check out the Equestrian facility on Wire Road on your next trip to campus. It's mind boggling. I worked there as a 20 hour a week student employee way back when. It's 50X the facility it was back then.

Thanks...I live in an area where equestrian facilities abound and it is a big money sport....or hobby as the case may be.

I live a few miles from this venue....which represents well more than a hundred million dollar investment and still growing. .

https://tryon.coth.com/

As for Auburn....if riders are being "signed" it seems reasonable that some of the academic costs are being covered...though access to the facilities and horses is worth a lot.  My grand daughter rode for NC State one year but as pre-vet student it was taking too much time so she is no longer riding. 

13 hours ago, AU64 said:

As for Auburn....if riders are being "signed" it seems reasonable that some of the academic costs are being covered..

They are getting a partial scholarship, no doubt. I just don't think how big a percentage of a full scholarship they are getting is as important to the average rider as it would be to say, an average baseball or softball player.

Well I tell you what winning several Natty's sure has afforded us the opportunity to cherry pick for across the nation, only one of those girls is from AL. Welcome ladies and War Eagle!! 

1 hour ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Well I tell you what winning several Natty's sure has afforded us the opportunity to cherry pick for across the nation, only one of those girls is from AL. Welcome ladies and War Eagle!! 

Yep.  It’s kind of like uat in football.  I guess you could call uat the Auburn Equestrian team of college football. 

Archived