Kirby: Pickens picked UGA because "he saw the ability to throw the ball at our place."

TitanTiger

2019 Passing Stats

Fromm:   233 attempts, 67% completion, 1858 yds (206 per game), 8 yds per attempt, 13 TDs, 3 INTs

Nix:   248 attempts, 56.5% completion, 1798 yds (199.8 per game), 7.3 per attempt, 12 TDs, 6 INTs

That worked out well.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is the dumbest thing I have heard considering he knew Bo Nix very well and knew what he was capable of becoming.  UGA is known for being a run-first school anyways.  Also, Pickens knew he would have Nix all three years of being here, and if Fromm declares, who is their next QB to take over?  They have only one other QB on the roster who was a last minute grab.

6 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Lol did Kirby really say this? Publicly, I mean. I'm sure he said it to him during his recruitment.

https://auburn.rivals.com/news/auburn-tigers-football-george-pickens

Nathan King • AuburnSports

Pickens had developed a close relationship with fellow 5-star Bo Nix, as the two were committed to the same school for months. Pickens (Hoover, Ala.) caught passes from his in-state comrade Nix (Pinson Valley, Ala.) at camps, showcases and high school All-Star games.

But Nix knows decommitments and flips aren't uncommon in the recruiting game, and Pickens wasn't the only big fish he tried to lure to the Plains and failed.

"I helped try to recruit a lot of guys that have been on other teams, and so he’s just another guy," Nix said of Pickens. "And so I feel like that our defense will play really good. [Auburn's defense] will worry about George Pickens and I’ll worry about their defense."

Pickens has played with an edge this season. He routinely jaws at defensive backs and carries with him a swagger on the gridiron. Georgia knows a return to Auburn for Pickens will be an emotional ride, and the Bulldogs want their freshman phenom to be laser-focused.

“I know his emotions are going to be going wild," Georgia receiver Tyler Simmons said this week of Pickens. "I know we’re going to need him to make some big plays so I’m just telling him to stay level-headed, just hone in on the details and just do what you know how to do."

Pickens, who became the top-rated receiver commit for Georgia in a decade when he signed, has been an important fixture in the Bulldogs' offense this season after they lost their top five pass-catchers from last year to graduation or the NFL.

He's the second-leading receiver on the team in both receptions (29) and receiving yards (389), and he currently ties Miami grad transfer Lawrence Cager for the team lead in receiving touchdowns with four, including two in Georgia's 27-0 win over Missouri last week.

Theoretically, Pickens is positioned to be Georgia's top dog at receiver for the next two-to-three years.

"He saw the ability to throw the ball at our place," Georgia head coach Kirby Smart said this week of Pickens' flip from Auburn to the Bulldogs. "... It cleared things up for him that he thought he was going to be able to have an impact and decided to come.”

I fault NO WR we recruit who does not come here. I mean lets be real. We have no business recruiting as well as we do at that position. Like Ross going to Clemson? Makes complete and total utter sense. It was the right decision for him. BUT GEORGIA?!?! GEORGIA?!?!? They are one of very few teams in the country who like to run as much as Gus does!!!! lol. I just have to laugh at this from bowl cut.

The script is going to call for the first play to be a run and the rest will be passes. Gus is going to try to force the pass.

And I'm ok with that. We aren't gonna be able to run on them anyway. 

Just now, Tiger said:

@GwillMac6 thanks fam. 

It's gonna be chippy out there on Saturday. I love it.

You know your my brother and I got you brodie!!!! WOOOO!!! This one is always really personal and has been at a EXTREMELY personal level since 2010 but Pickens just adds another chapter to it. I can see him getting some penalties for being a idiot. He was like this in high school just talking non stop ish with opposing DBs and jawing with them constantly. KNOCK ON WOOD but our guys are really composed in the secondary. They will not blink when he trys to pull his alpha dawg BS shtick.

14 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Lol did Kirby really say this? Publicly, I mean. I'm sure he said it to him during his recruitment.

He literally said it in a press conference this week.

21 minutes ago, fredst said:

I wouldn’t wish ill on anyone......but I wish someone would Rosegreen Pickens sorry a**.

I'm all for sending messages, but without the attempted murder aspect...

44 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I fault NO WR we recruit who does not come here. I mean lets be real. We have no business recruiting as well as we do at that position. Like Ross going to Clemson? Makes complete and total utter sense. It was the right decision for him. BUT GEORGIA?!?! GEORGIA?!?!? They are one of very few teams in the country who like to run as much as Gus does!!!! lol. I just have to laugh at this from bowl cut.

And we have our own Pickens type WR in Seth WIlliams. We don't need him to win.

Pickens didn't make the wrong decision, but if he was sure GA was going to throw the ball to him more than Nix was he was wrong. 

Our guys just need to go out and play. Leave the personal feelings at the door, because that is when stupid stuff starts to happen. 

Pickens is my least favorite player since Mr. Buidness Decision linebacker. Totally cucked us on the recruiting trail after we were patient with his academic struggles.

He went to Georgia because he was paid to do so and ain’t a single soul changing my mind. 

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

Pickens is my least favorite player since Mr. Buidness Decision linebacker. Totally cucked us on the recruiting trail after we were patient with his academic struggles.

He went to Georgia because he was paid to do so and ain’t a single soul changing my mind. 

100% CORRECT

12 minutes ago, DAG said:

Our guys just need to go out and play. Leave the personal feelings at the door, because that is when stupid stuff starts to happen. 

Exactly!

Do Your Job.  Keep the emotions out of it and do what you've been trained to do, execute your specific responsibility and treat it like every other game.

2 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

2019 Passing Stats

Fromm:   233 attempts, 67% completion, 1858 yds (206 per game), 8 yds per attempt, 13 TDs, 3 INTs

Nix:   248 attempts, 56.5% completion, 1798 yds (199.8 per game), 7.3 per attempt, 12 TDs, 6 INTs

That worked out well.

Well in Pickens regard, he was going in with a proven college QB at uga,  with AU he knew Bo, but at the time most thought it could well be Joey or a true freshman with Bo. Yes Bo has put up some numbers now but Pickens was making this decision last fall. Pickens is good but I don’t know he would have started at AU considering the proven talent we have at WR. Give George a break he was making a decision based on his future. 

23 minutes ago, keesler said:

Exactly!

Do Your Job.  Keep the emotions out of it and do what you've been trained to do, execute your specific responsibility and treat it like every other game.

I promise this remark by Kirby, even if the guys saw it wouldn’t irritate them at all. Each of them made their choices based upon their best interest.

1 minute ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Well in Pickens regard, he was going in with a proven college QB at uga,  with AU he knew Bo, but at the time most thought it could well be Joey or a true freshman with Bo. Yes Bo has put up some numbers now but Pickens was making this decision last fall. Pickens is good but I don’t know he would have started at AU considering the proven talent we have at WR. Give George a break he was making a decision based on his future. 

Naw main, the hatred has to flow to the kid.  He took the MONEY and ran to uga, he a thug, he ain't smart, he cocky and must be destroyed.

:drippingsarcasm7pa:

Archived