Your Best School Story Ever...Funny, Serious, or In Between!

ToraGirl

This one's been bouncing around in my head, so here goes.

As a student...."Picture it.  Sicily.  1922..." Auburn High School, freshman English, 1981.  Mrs. V. Taylor is (rarely) absent and a substitute, Mrs. Dennis, is holding down the fort.  She's a veteran.  We love having her.  For reasons we shouldn't.  So my dear friend and eventual sports medicine major, who called Jesus "Dr. J." in Sunday School at AUMC for a little weekend fun (the correct answer supposed to have been The Great Physician), decided to have a little fun.  "Miss DENSE!  Miss DENSE!  I can't solve this problem, Miss DENSE!  I don't know what to put.  Miss DENSE!  Miss DENNNNNNNSE!" 

(And we knew she was going to open up a can on him.)  But instead, she glared at him hard over her slipping spectacles and said, "Young MAN!  That's MRS.!!"

As a teacher:  Living in Harrodsburg, Kentucky during the Asbury Seminary years "Part One"...MDiv.  Mike commuted to Asbury from Harrodsburg M-Th...20 minutes one-way up windy Highway 68 and I braved my way through "taller-than-me" 5th grade science x3 and a language arts block.  It was my first time living away from home, and the fact that the students were  way more peer-conscious than teacher-conscious only added to the stress-bless.  It was the beginning of Operation Desert Storm, so our class adopted a few soldiers and wrote letters of support to them.  One of my high school buddies sent local coins with a super kind reply and another sent a sweet letter.  But the one that put me on the floor was the one that came in response to my laying out the reason for even being in Kentucky to begin with. 

It read, "Dear Mrs. B.  Thank you so much for your wonderful letters.  I am so sorry to hear about your husband being in the seminary, but do not worry.  With our liberal probation laws, I am sure he will be out soon."  To which I replied, once I dusted myself off, "Dear Kevin.  Thank you for your letter!  Although my husband feels that learning Greek and Hebrew make him feel as if he is in prison, he is really enjoying his ministry training tremendously..."

I need stock in a journal company plus more time than humans should be allowed to have to write down all that I remember having seen and heard.  Never a dull moment.

Fire away!

4 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Anyone who wants story should read this thread from start to finish. I've got quite a few in there if I remember correctly

I did last week! It got me all waxing nostalgic. I just loved it! 

Archived