CSUN Preview (review added in thread)

JwgreDeux

The title to this thread is misleading because I'm not really previewing their team or the matchups, but more what we might see from our Tigers. Let's face it, this was a "get right" game on the schedule. We played a difficult opening three games and needed a chance to "get right" if the early slate went poorly. Fortunately, we got all Ws, so this becomes a tune up. I took a quick look at Northridge and they are not a good team. They give up 90+ points per game and average a rebounding deficit, but they may get their best player back for the first time this year tonight. We don't for sure know if he is going to play but Diane is a 6'7'' forward that was last year's conference player of the year and averaged 25pts per game.  He will certainly make them better, but still not a good team. 

On to what I would like to see to night. I think we should get an opportunity for some freshman to really spread their wings. Jones, Flanigan, Cambridge should all get extended minutes (hopefully 10+) and I also hope we get to see some more minutes for Stretch. I don't think they will be crazy minutes because Jones needs to play with our regulars to build any chemistry and same goes for Cambridge. I'd like to see us work on post ups, shoot more jump shots, and maybe try out some defensive formations we don't use much. This is a game to work on those things. I'd like to see J'von play a clean game handling the ball, and above all things I want to see us rebound well. We have yet to really see the results of having improved size on the glass. 

Put it away early and get some good work in. Sorry for the lack of a real preview, but War Eagle. 

Fun fact, Northridge is coached by Mark Gottfried. 

Man, @cole256 gives you a bunch of love and this is how you respond? What are we paying you for?? 😂

Would be good to see some things improve tonight, especially FT shooting and points in the paint. And also the walk-ons. I want to see the walk-ons with 4 min left.

1 minute ago, jared52 said:

Man, @cole256 gives you a bunch of love and this is how you respond? What are we paying you for?? 😂

Would be good to see some things improve tonight, especially FT shooting and points in the paint. And also the walk-ons. I want to see the walk-ons with 4 min left.

Haha i think the walkons may have gotten spoiled with all the playing time they got last season. I predict they will have a harder time getting on the floor this season. 

Totally agree on FT shooting. No excuse for that to be a poor as it has been to start the season. Pearl needs to get on them hard in that area. Some you don't get supper until you hit 50 in a row type of stuff.

Would really love to see more of the young guys in this game after we are up by about 20. Turbo and Stretch at the front of that wish list. If both could get say 10 minutes that would be awesome. I want the team to see this as a chance to get better versus going through the motions with a team that you should beat and then having to fight for the W. I want to see Mac and Wiley pulling down double digit rebounds. I want to see a repeat of that good 3 point shooting we saw against So Al

Thanks....thought there was a game tonight but nobody seemed to notice.....hope there is a reasonable turnout to help get people fired up for the football game tomorrow. 

38 minutes ago, jared52 said:

I know,  right. I'll try to do better. 

We should also watch out for Gomez, he can get hot, and for that matter their strength so far is shooting the 3. So if we come out slow they could make this thing uncomfortable if they make shots. They have played well in second halves, but have yet to put a full game together, tonight should not be the time that it happens. 

15 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Thanks....thought there was a game tonight but nobody seemed to notice.....hope there is a reasonable turnout to help get people fired up for the football game tomorrow. 

Stubhub noticed. I thought about heading down for it, but the cheapest seats are $40 plus their fees. Everyone in town for the UGA game is likely going to be there, I just hope they are the cheering kind and not the sit on your hands kind.

9 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

We should also watch out for Gomez, he can get hot, and for that matter their strength so far is shooting the 3. So if we come out slow they could make this thing uncomfortable if they make shots. They have played well in second halves, but have yet to put a full game together, tonight should not be the time that it happens. 

i appreciate you helping out and i enjoy your posts. i rarely post basketball articles but i seldom see any. in fact unless i overlooked itthe biggest online newspaper in al had no mention. anyway i am just saying thanks and when i see any articles i will post them  to help back you up and for our fans. thanx again.....

5 minutes ago, jared52 said:

Stubhub noticed. I thought about heading down for it, but the cheapest seats are $40 plus their fees. Everyone in town for the UGA game is likely going to be there, I just hope they are the cheering kind and not the sit on your hands kind.

hey man i am confused. i have heard for years women go to jareds for those things they cannot live without right? and then i noticed your avi pic so i am thinking wth? so what is your secret sir?

22 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

hey man i am confused. i have heard for years women go to jareds for those things they cannot live without right? and then i noticed your avi pic so i am thinking wth? so what is your secret sir?

No secrets here. Got me a woman though.

11 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Was going to attend but I wasnt interested in the rain + traffic tonight. Should be a pretty fun game for us

lol you NEVER would of made it in 09 at the rain game in Jordan Hare vs West Virginia if rain is going to keep you away when said game is INSIDE! hahaha. But for real Hate you are not going though dude. Every home game with Okoro is special since this could be his 1 and only year at AU.

36 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i appreciate you helping out and i enjoy your posts. i rarely post basketball articles but i seldom see any. in fact unless i overlooked itthe biggest online newspaper in al had no mention. anyway i am just saying thanks and when i see any articles i will post them  to help back you up and for our fans. thanx again.....

Most the beat writers do a nice job or writing pretty articles ( I should probably work on trying to write in a more organize edited fashion), and do very little by way of basketball analysis or forecasting. I try to give a few mini projections about what I think we could/may do to win each game, just in a stream of consciousness as I think about it fashion that jumps and bounces around. 

and speaking of as it comes to me thinking, it dawns I left off what I think keys to the game are:

• come out with intensity 
  • crash the boards and dominate the glass
  • take care of the ball
  • switch up defenses

There we have it. GO get this one boys. War Eagle.  

Thanks for all the notes on CS-Northridge. I knew about the game, but nothing about their team. As for Auburn, yes, I'd like to get our young guys out on the floor more, but also the starters really just need to play more minutes together in game situations in order to improve team chemistry.

Although I'd like to say this game is a way to do that without a lot of pressure, I watched the Kentucky upset and you can never just take other teams for granted.

1 hour ago, jared52 said:

:) nope...I'm more than 5 hours driving time away and while the driving is OK it's the steps in the Arena and JHS that I can't handle any more.....and the parking too.....so got me a nice 55 inch QLED to watch the games ….and aside from the crowd, it's better than being there. 

I see tonight's opponent is 0-3.....and hoping no one is taking them too lightly 

On 11/15/2019 at 2:02 PM, JwgreDeux said:

The title to this thread is misleading because I'm not really previewing their team or the matchups, but more what we might see from our Tigers. Let's face it, this was a "get right" game on the schedule. We played a difficult opening three games and needed a chance to "get right" if the early slate went poorly. Fortunately, we got all Ws, so this becomes a tune up. I took a quick look at Northridge and they are not a good team. They give up 90+ points per game and average a rebounding deficit, but they may get their best player back for the first time this year tonight. We don't for sure know if he is going to play but Diane is a 6'7'' forward that was last year's conference player of the year and averaged 25pts per game.  He will certainly make them better, but still not a good team. 

On to what I would like to see to night. I think we should get an opportunity for some freshman to really spread their wings. Jones, Flanigan, Cambridge should all get extended minutes (hopefully 10+) and I also hope we get to see some more minutes for Stretch. I don't think they will be crazy minutes because Jones needs to play with our regulars to build any chemistry and same goes for Cambridge. I'd like to see us work on post ups, shoot more jump shots, and maybe try out some defensive formations we don't use much. This is a game to work on those things. I'd like to see J'von play a clean game handling the ball, and above all things I want to see us rebound well. We have yet to really see the results of having improved size on the glass. 

Put it away early and get some good work in. Sorry for the lack of a real preview, but War Eagle. 

On 11/15/2019 at 2:05 PM, JwgreDeux said:

Fun fact, Northridge is coached by Mark Gottfried. 

On 11/15/2019 at 2:54 PM, JwgreDeux said:

On 11/15/2019 at 3:48 PM, JwgreDeux said:

Most the beat writers do a nice job or writing pretty articles ( I should probably work on trying to write in a more organize edited fashion), and do very little by way of basketball analysis or forecasting. I try to give a few mini projections about what I think we could/may do to win each game, just in a stream of consciousness as I think about it fashion that jumps and bounces around. 

and speaking of as it comes to me thinking, it dawns I left off what I think keys to the game are:

• come out with intensity 
  • crash the boards and dominate the glass
  • take care of the ball
  • switch up defenses

There we have it. GO get this one boys. War Eagle.  

Well that was a fun one. As far as checking off all of the things we hoped to see, and the keys outlined, job well done. Hard to get too excited over things that happen in a blow out, but her are some observations none-the-less:

• J'von played as clean a game as you can hope for. Program records are nothing to dismiss so let's take a minute and enjoy his assist mark. Also, doing it with only 1 turnover is very encouraging, even against a poor defensive opponent. 
  • Samir also had a career night that deserves recognition. Not many players ever score 30, so again let's take a minute and enjoy. 
  • Flanigan, Johnson, Cambridge, and Jones all got 13+ minutes that should help them moving forward. Cambridge hit double digits again scoring, Johnson was efficient again, Flanigan showed he is physically ready to find a role on this team. 
  • Jones is the biggest question mark of these four freshmen that we need to contribute. He looks like he is just playing a little too fast. It is hard to predict at this moment if he will be able to get under full control to give us what we need this season, but he certainly has shown some good skills. His stat line was 3 pts, 6 rebs, 3 ast, and 2 tos in 13 minutes. The turnovers are just forced bad passes that I expect to improve. His explosiveness is obvious and his size and athleticism are huge attributes. What we need though is decision making, and I have yet to see enough from him in this area. He doesn't come in the game calm and undercontrol and that is what we need from him most. We didn't see that in this game as I was hoping to. 
  • Stretch came in too jacked up as well, picking up 3 fouls in 5 minutes, but I think he will be fine to help out when/if our front court gets in foul trouble. We aren't going to ask more than that of him this season. 
  • It's always good when you get to play everyone on the bench. Good for the guys that work their butts off in practice to see the court, even if just for a few minutes. 
  • At this point, it is pretty clear who are our contributors, now it's time to refine the rolls and rotations. 
  • Yes we had a great night shooting the ball, but we also held them to 34.2% shooting from the floor, only turned the ball over 11 times and dominated the rebounding +20. 
  • Also, we were 15-16 from the free throw line.
  • There were a few negatives that I think need to be pointed out:
    • we were actually out attempted in this game, giving up 76 field goal attempts. We only generated 14 turnovers. Our pressure defense could have been much better. It is only human nature to ease up a bit win you're up 40, but our defense will determine our overall record more this season than last, and we have to be better. 
    • while we held them to 34% from the floor, they shot a healthy 38% from three. That is not good, and again we have to do better. 
    • We also let a player, Gomez, who we knew was one of their primary scoring options go for 23pts.
  • Wiley had 10 points, 9 rebs, and 2 blocks and only 1 foul in his 18 mins, but he still had 4 turnovers. His turnovers are what is going to prevent us from working through him. He has to cut down on those if we are going to improve his usage going forward. 

All in all it is great to dominate lesser teams, so let's enjoy this one and move on. War Eagle!

• ellitor changed the title to CSUN Preview (review added in thread)

Archived