2020 Softball season

On 3/5/2020 at 10:20 PM, The Freak said:

I saw MSU play UAB.  They have some legit power.  I saw the first baseman toss a bat flip on a home run.

A.

Bautista.

level.

bat.

flip.

in.

soft

ball.

She is worth watching all on her own... Fa Leilua is fun to watch.  We'll see if she is as dominant in SEC play, but I expect she will be.

How did UAB look with their new look team? 

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, AUBwins said:

How did UAB look with their new look team? 

I never saw their old team, but it would be hard to tell.  They were pretty over-matched.  I only turned it on to see how KK was doing.  She played well, hit a double, they had her in center field.

10 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Another of our opponents, UCF, beat Michigan, and lost to UCLA only 4-2.

We don't play UCF in softball this season. We played them in baseball.

10 hours ago, ellitor said:

We don't play UCF in softball this season. We played them in baseball.

You are correct.  Brain glitch on my part.

12 hours ago, steeleagle said:

So, this year was going to be tough(as last year ended). I am hoping this is the bottom year, and not next year, but still they will be mostly FR and SOs next year. 

A freshman pitcher just shut us out at UF, so....

I'm simply not seeing the improvement in the players that I'd like to see.

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

We are in total agreement on that second statement.  

Looking at SEC season stats (all games) AU is next to last in fielding % and Batting Average.  We are 3rd from last in ERA.  The fielding % is what disappoints me the most.  

I'd like to see McCondichie more regularly at second.  Her fielding is .966 compared to Koepke's .88x.  Koepke has 7 errors and hitting .222, while Carlee has 1 error and is hitting .519 on fewer plate appearances.

11 hours ago, Mikey said:

Im not referring to pitchers. If you have a quality pitcher, doesn't matter if you are Freshman or a Senior. Your stuff is good enough to win or keep your team in it.

I am talking about the hitting and defense. Having FR and SO just make it harder mentally, as they are learning to play in the SEC and the top level pitchers they see every week.

58 minutes ago, OlderWhiskey said:

I'd like to see McCondichie more regularly at second.  Her fielding is .966 compared to Koepke's .88x.  Koepke has 7 errors and hitting .222, while Carlee has 1 error and is hitting .519 on fewer plate appearances.

I actually thought McC was going to be a regular at second as her hitting is pretty good and fielding is much better. But then I saw one of the FL games she was replaced as the starter by Koepke. Not sure if Dean is testing both to see who can be the permanent 2b....

If you watched the freshman pitcher for UF she is a lot like Barnhill and illegal every pitch from what I saw on TV. We need to hit more. Heard that Florida practices hitting with tennis balls and not softballs during BP. Makes hitting the bigger softball easier...

11 hours ago, AU1947 said:

If you watched the freshman pitcher for UF she is a lot like Barnhill and illegal every pitch from what I saw on TV. We need to hit more. Heard that Florida practices hitting with tennis balls and not softballs during BP. Makes hitting the bigger softball easier...

I thought I understood that they practiced hitting twice a day; a format Coach Walton observed from the tennis coach, not that they used tennis balls?  They were not a very good hitting team last year but had good pitching and played good defense with few errors.

I heard that also, but also thought I heard them say they focus on hitting the smaller balls i.e. tennis balls to focus more on hitting the quality contact. I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time or the last....

Wonder what seniors will return. Also, will the NCAA have to approve increased roster size to allow room for incoming freshman. Actually is there even a limit on roster size for softball. I believe it is 35 for baseball. 

Additional question is will the NCAA allow additional scholarships for softball, baseball and other spring sports to help seniors come back for another year. 

I don’t think any spring sport has scholarships to cover all players. Only football and basketball give full scholarships. 

On 3/13/2020 at 4:41 PM, FUZZYAUFAN said:

Actually is there even a limit on roster size for softball. I believe it is 35 for baseball. 

Additional question is will the NCAA allow additional scholarships for softball, baseball and other spring sports to help seniors come back for another year. 

The main problem is the scholarships but every team is going to be over the scholarship limit. It’s going to be hectic to figure out a plan for everything.

It’ll be interesting to see who comes back and who doesn’t if the NCAA does indeed allow for a redshirt year.

5 out of the 6 seniors have played valuable innings, with 4 out of the 6 regularly starting.

Swindle has posted a goodbye letter to Auburn and softball, so it doesn’t look like she will be returning.

None of the other seniors have posted any definitive plans. Rivera did post a lot about another year of eligibility, so we might see her again next year. 

16 hours ago, Hspoprn said:

I expect (hope) Rivera will be back. Seems to absolutely love the game.

She is definitely one that I like to come back, especially with such a young team next year with all these freshman and sophomores to be...

Agreed. It would be good for the team, especially from a leadership standpoint, if Alyssa came back.

Tannon would be on her 6th year of eligibility if she were to return. 

I had thought the same thing about Tannon.  With her sister already gone, I would be hugely surprised (and happy) if she returned.  Perry's folks moved to Auburn, which kinda sets her up to return if she wants to.  Cook is from Dadeville (25 miles).  In the end, it's mostly about whether the player wants to return for another year.

Archived