Jay Tate Postgame show

CR

13 hours ago, Eagle-1 said:

It would be the Auburn thing to do. Frankly, at this point I don't care as long as he hires a competent OC.

I’m not sure that AU doesn’t already have a decent OC with Dilly. I saw some slants this year that I know we’re not Gus’s call because he has never called them before. I just don’t think Dilly was actually allowed to call anything but he just could do his best to suggest certain things. Morris was a good OC at Clemson as well. I like the idea of KS . He has his D rocking . He doesn’t make excuses like Gus. Dang sure it would be better than having Gus another year. 

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, KnightTiger said:

then you have to ask well where was this two weeks ago against Georgia or a month ago against florida and lsu

I think UF was one of those games that (even tho we were better) we were not winning.  With Gameday and the atmosphere there it was tough situation.   

UF and UGA are different.   Not because I think we are bette, but I did not feel during the games our O had any shot at winning

1 hour ago, Carnell said:

You are right but if you fire gus you have to add on the price tag of a new coach and to that buyout.

I am almost willing to bet they would

place KS in an interim role due to this. Not saying guys don’t have money to get it done but a lot of these guys stay rich but not continuously throwing money around. 

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

I am almost willing to bet they would

place KS in an interim role due to this. Not saying guys don’t have money to get it done but a lot of these guys stay rich but not continuously throwing money around. 

The ultra wealthy aren't like your next door millionaires who became wealthy by managing and investing their money wisely. Because they have so much money, they throw money at a lot of high risk investments; sometimes they win, sometimes they lose. Gus is an investment they lost on, but it's hardly crippled them. The money is there.

32 minutes ago, caleb1633 said:

The ultra wealthy aren't like your next door millionaires who became wealthy by managing and investing their money wisely. Because they have so much money, they throw money at a lot of high risk investments; sometimes they win, sometimes they lose. Gus is an investment they lost on, but it's hardly crippled them. The money is there.

Hahaha what? Rich people stay rich by minimally making  dumb investments. Gus was a dumb investment . They aren’t going to keep duplicating that. They are ultra wealthy because they manage their stock and business wisely. That is why lottery winners and athletes often go broke. They don’t do that very thing. 

KS would be a budget, steward of the program until finances are better type hire.  It's probably better than what we have today but not the hire to take us to the next level.  I'd need to see nearly wholesale changes on the offensive side of the ball before I thought about buying in.

Gus isn't getting fired (if he's getting fired at all) before December, so we can all stop holding our breaths on that one.

He's going to be given the opportunity to beat Alabama and then will be evaluated after the season, that's just how it works. It's not like Chad Morris who had lost the last winnable game on the schedule and it's not like Les Miles who saved his job with the euphoria of beating A&M and getting Rudy'd off the field. He was a dead man walking and the following Auburn-LSU game was the last nail in the coffin.

As I've said time and again, I'm gonna stand behind Auburn and whomever is at the helm until the clock strikes 0:00 and if Gus can't get it done then I have no issue parting ways. But after the he's been handcuffed the last few years and coup to screw him out of his contract last year, he has my undivided support at least for the next two (or three games). 

I am just saying don’t expect them just to throw 100 million dollars out there if they fire Gus. The smart people will do their due diligence and see if they can find someone who can produce what they need for a very fair price to the person forking out the money 

1 hour ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I’m not sure that AU doesn’t already have a decent OC with Dilly. I saw some slants this year that I know we’re not Gus’s call because he has never called them before. I just don’t think Dilly was actually allowed to call anything but he just could do his best to suggest certain things. Morris was a good OC at Clemson as well. I like the idea of KS . He has his D rocking . He doesn’t make excuses like Gus. Dang sure it would be better than having Gus another year. 

Dillingham was never brought in to be an OC. It’s his title only. He may present ideas like he did with Norvell at Memphis, but as far as we know, Gus is the sole playcaller. 

1 minute ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Dillingham was never brought in to be an OC. It’s his title only. He may present ideas like he did with Norvell at Memphis, but as far as we know, Gus is the sole playcaller. 

Pretty much this. Dilly is the equivalent to the Xbox player using the ask madden feature. 

1 minute ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I agree what I was saying I have seen some new wrinkles that Gus has not used in the past. My thought is Dilly probably privately persuaded Gus to add them. Even with that Gus very seldom runs them even though they are somewhat sucessful when they do. 

1 hour ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Then you haven't paid attention from day 1.  Dude's nothing more than a glorified GA.

Just now, dyehardfanAU said:

Then you haven't paid attention from day 1.  Dude's nothing more than a glorified GA.

Again I just said Gus has added the never used slant to his package. I think that input came from Dilly since he is the only new peg in Gus’s board. Yes  Gus calls all the plays. That’s why the offense sucks. Pretty simple logic.

4 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Again I just said Gus has added the never used slant to his package. I think that input came from Dilly since he is the only new peg in Gus’s board. Yes  Gus calls all the plays. That’s why the offense sucks. Pretty simple logic.

I probably came across harsher than I meant to.  Dilly is just another symptom of the same problem, a lot like throwing a Co-OC title and Top 10 at the position money at Kodi Burns to scoop him up in his 3rd year of coaching college football.  It's similar to rehiring CJBG because no one wants to come work with you and you have no other options.  Another example of showing Gus is a poor program manager.

1 minute ago, dyehardfanAU said:

I probably came across harsher than I meant to.  Dilly is just another symptom of the same problem, a lot like throwing a Co-OC title and Top 10 at the position money at Kodi Burns to scoop him up in his 3rd year of coaching college football.

I agree with you and I didn’t take anything negative. I’m just upset that we have watched this show for 7 years and other than the first year in 2013 , which include a very successful Nick Marshal, the prayer from Jordan Hare, and the Kick six, we have seen the same mediocre Gus. Winning a few games that he shouldn’t and losing a lot of games he should have won. Not just winning and loosing but how it happens. We proved capable in all there losses we were capable of wining with decent play calling. We didn’t get it. Every year Gus blames it on the OC that he doesn’t actually let call plays. Then this year he says up front he is calling all plays and if it doesn’t go right then it’s on him. So it didn’t go right and it’s on him. You people that want to continue to deny facts need to understand that it doesn’t make them non fact. Believe this Gus was to be fired last year . The money was on the table. I don’t care what you think that’s just the truth as conveyed by someone that was there. Gus bargained for another year saying he would be his own OC and if he failed it was on him. He failed and there is no question about it. He did bargain away some of his future money. I have not been told exactly  the number on that but it was something. That said I have not heard that they will still go through with it this year but that was the plan from last year . So I have no doubt if they decide to move on money will be a point of contention. We will see. 

12 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

What do we do put KS as interim and hire Joe Brady as OC/QB coach?

Look I don’t really think KS wants a head coach job he has been there done that and it didn’t workout well. I do think that any new coach coming in can take a look at results of this defense , with the offenses ineptness of turn overs and 3 and outs and understand this is a great defensive staff. They would be crazy to not keep them all. We do need a coach that has an offensive background but has also shown a knack of getting the players the right motivation. It also needs to be a coach that is ok with growing and changing as the needs require . 

2 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

Gus isn't getting fired (if he's getting fired at all) before December, so we can all stop holding our breaths on that one.

He's going to be given the opportunity to beat Alabama and then will be evaluated after the season, that's just how it works. It's not like Chad Morris who had lost the last winnable game on the schedule and it's not like Les Miles who saved his job with the euphoria of beating A&M and getting Rudy'd off the field. He was a dead man walking and the following Auburn-LSU game was the last nail in the coffin.

As I've said time and again, I'm gonna stand behind Auburn and whomever is at the helm until the clock strikes 0:00 and if Gus can't get it done then I have no issue parting ways. But after the he's been handcuffed the last few years and coup to screw him out of his contract last year, he has my undivided support at least for the next two (or three games). 

Absolutely respect your loyalty. I may be mistaken but I believe no evidence came forward on the coup theory...and with playcalling back in his hands, I actually believe it appears he was given MORE freedom this year...to sink or swim.

That said, nearly none of us knows the conversations that take place behind closed doors on this issue. I honestly am thankful for this...I would hate to think I had even a miniscule part in blowing something that could really benefit Auburn due to my premature, impatient need to know. If we don't know the facts, we won't know the protocol timelines, either. Best hang on and be patient. Too much at stake to bungle. 

I'm sure Dillingham is like Chip Lindsey and Rhett Lashlee when would come up with a play, they would have to show it to Gus but if he didn't like it, he'd tear it up and draw some plays that he wanted to run. So Rhett, Chip and Dillingham are or were OC's in name only. Malzahn has been Auburn's true OC for the last 7 years.

3 hours ago, sevenlee36 said:

What do we do put KS as interim and hire Joe Brady as OC/QB coach?

What in the world makes anyone think the Brady guy would leave LSU at this time? Or if he's even ready to be an OC? 

33 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

What in the world makes anyone think the Brady guy would leave LSU at this time? Or if he's even ready to be an OC? 

Because we’ll have to take chances

5 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

not trying to start arguement. but chizik  was fired a day after the iron bowl I remember because I was watching an nfl game after church that day (Sunday) and I believe not too long after the game started the announcement about chizik being fired was going across the bottom of the screen however most already knew chizik wasn't likely going to be retained

Just now, KnightTiger said:

not trying to start arguement. but chizik  was fired a day after the iron bowl I remember because I was watching an nfl game after church that day (Sunday) and I believe not too long after the game started the announcement about chizik being fired was going across the bottom of the screen however most already knew chizik wasn't likely going to be retained

Because of his record, middling as it my be, I believe he will be given a) the opportunity to "shop around" for his next job and b) I don't think a few days is too long to wait for the buyout to be reduced. Yes the money is there by all accounts, but unlike with Chizik I don't think the fever pitch to bounce Malzahn will be near as hot. Chizik was in a much deeper hole: locker room, record, recruiting... All started going downhill.

TL;DR I think the buyout saves him for a few days

15 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

Because of his record, middling as it my be, I believe he will be given a) the opportunity to "shop around" for his next job and b) I don't think a few days is too long to wait for the buyout to be reduced. Yes the money is there by all accounts, but unlike with Chizik I don't think the fever pitch to bounce Malzahn will be near as hot. Chizik was in a much deeper hole: locker room, record, recruiting... All started going downhill.

TL;DR I think the buyout saves him for a few days

Well and there was no bowl game that year. As upset as everyone is, this is not 2012

47 minutes ago, KnightTiger said:

Maybe "officially" but in effect Chizik was done long before then. The handwriting was on the wall when they lost to John L. Smith's then-1-and-4 Arkansas squad, one of the Razorbacks' two conference wins that year. Auburn was then blown out by Ol' Miss, lost to Vandy, then clobbered by Texas A&M so the Tigers' 1 and 7 mark at that point made everything obvious. 

Archived