Jay Tate Postgame show

CR

28 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

Because of his record, middling as it my be, I believe he will be given a) the opportunity to "shop around" for his next job and b) I don't think a few days is too long to wait for the buyout to be reduced. Yes the money is there by all accounts, but unlike with Chizik I don't think the fever pitch to bounce Malzahn will be near as hot. Chizik was in a much deeper hole: locker room, record, recruiting... All started going downhill.

TL;DR I think the buyout saves him for a few days

I will be surprised if Malzahn is gone after this season. 

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, Scribe Tiger said:

I will be surprised if Malzahn is gone after this season. 

This mainly because of two things  true freshman QB. and this schedule really hard for anyone to have expected more than 8/9 wins, plus I cant imagine green being asked to make a decision or everything being placed on gauges shoulders while serving as interim!

now say in two weeks time we get completely blown out against back up qb led Alabama team..... I could see them possibly firing him. but as of now I think hes safe even with iron bowl loss

How will he recover if he loses to Alabama? Take back the two miracles in 2013, would he survived this long? 

Against Georgia he’s 2-6

One was a miracle “prayer in Jordan Hare” 

And the 1 win means little because he was beat by Georgia in the SEC championship game.

Against Bama he’s 2-4

One win was a miracle “kick 6”

Now the win in 17 was legit, props.

Against LSU he’s 2-5

He’s 6- 15 against his rivals, win percentage 40%

Take out the miracles he’s 4-17, win percentage 23.5%

He’s paid 7 million a year.

He will not make it through the full season next year.

Here's the thing you have think about with his buyout.  My understanding is that it's 75% of the rest of his contract if we fire him.

So if he stays and you fire him next December, you're paying him a full $7M next season + the 75% of the last four years ($21M).  That equates to $28M to keep him until December 2020.

If you fire him now, it's 75% of the $35M left on his contract.  That equates to $26.25M.

So for those saying the money doesn't make sense until after next year, please note that it's actually more expensive to keep him for another season. 

19 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Here's the thing you have think about with his buyout.  My understanding is that it's 75% of the rest of his contract if we fire him.

So if he stays and you fire him next December, you're paying him a full $7M next season + the 75% of the last four years ($21M).  That equates to $28M to keep him until December 2020.

If you fire him now, it's 75% of the $35M left on his contract.  That equates to $26.25M.

So for those saying the money doesn't make sense until after next year, please note that it's actually more expensive to keep him for another season. 

Buuuuuut we would have to spend money on buying out the new coach and whatever staff he wants to bring in. That's the sticking point with the risk adverse types and those who care about 'optics.' He ain't the guy, it's best to get it over with and get someone who can utilize the talent we have while it's still here. Say the new guy wins 9 games in year 1 or 2, recruiting isn't going to tank as long as the team doesn't bottom out. If we go 6-6 next year and fire him next December recruiting WILL tank. 

5 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

Buuuuuut we would have to spend money on buying out the new coach and whatever staff he wants to bring in. That's the sticking point with the risk adverse types and those who care about 'optics.' He ain't the guy, it's best to get it over with and get someone who can utilize the talent we have while it's still here. Say the new guy wins 9 games in year 1 or 2, recruiting isn't going to tank as long as the team doesn't bottom out. If we go 6-6 next year and fire him next December recruiting WILL tank. 

Gonna have to do that no matter what is what I'd tell them.

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

Gonna have to do that no matter what is what I'd tell them.

Oh I know. But why take care of that now when you can kick that can down the road and let future you make those hard decisions?

36 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Similar (maybe the same?) numbers were posted before the end of last season too.  

Plus, you consider the revenue that's potentially (probably?) going to be lost from donors and whatnot, it's probably a wash financially (or worse off?) to keep him.

As for the arguments about paying off the outgoing assistants and new administration, well that's just the cost of doing business. 

Honestly, I have no dadgum clue why he'd be retained after the season but I said the same last year too so I expect him to return. 

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

Similar (maybe the same?) numbers were posted before the end of last season too.  

Plus, you consider the revenue that's potentially (probably?) going to be lost from donors and whatnot, it's probably a wash financially (or worse off?) to keep him.

As for the arguments about paying off the outgoing assistants and new administration, well that's just the cost of doing business. 

Honestly, I have no dadgum clue why he'd be retained after the season but I said the same last year too so I expect him to return. 

I have brought that up to friends many times. Let me ask you...I know it equals out to approx the same or even more really to keep him...but it doesnt have to be ponied up front...so is it possible the PTB want to hold off another year or two hoping that Gus strikes lightning in bottle somehow again and goes on a run next year and that would buy TPB another year without having to fire him....poissibly 2 and then that buyout gets reduced more? 

I know this isn't going to happen...I am just trying to imagine what benefits would come from holding him from the PTB perspective.

25 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I have brought that up to friends many times. Let me ask you...I know it equals out to approx the same or even more really to keep him...but it doesnt have to be ponied up front...so is it possible the PTB want to hold off another year or two hoping that Gus strikes lightning in bottle somehow again and goes on a run next year and that would buy TPB another year without having to fire him....poissibly 2 and then that buyout gets reduced more? 

I know this isn't going to happen...I am just trying to imagine what benefits would come from holding him from the PTB perspective.

Hey, TP2a...have you had a chance to read Pass The Biscuits' update in the thread, "Officials"?  I'll just leave that there...since "PTB" came up again...and in the "How Did You Get Your Screenname?" thread ("All Things Considered"), you'll see the connection again...

7 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

Hey, TP2a...have you had a chance to read Pass The Biscuits' update in the thread, "Officials"?  I'll just leave that there...since "PTB" came up again...and in the "How Did You Get Your Screenname?" thread ("All Things Considered"), you'll see the connection again...

No I didn't, I had to put some distance between myself and AU after the game so I needed a day to cool down lol! I will check that out though. 

1 minute ago, Tigerpro2a said:

No I didn't, I had to put some distance between myself and AU after the game so I needed a day to cool down lol! I will check that out though. 

Of all the posts to wade through...you will be glad you saw this one.  Rest well!

1 minute ago, ToraGirl said:

Of all the posts to wade through...you will be glad you saw this one.  Rest well!

I do indeed like that post and I am more happy to see passthebiscuits posting again. Check your PMs.

14 hours ago, auskip07 said:

Lets see what happens after the bama game.   a Tua less bama team is beatable.  Of all years  this bama team should be beat.... if we had a decent offense.   

It will be UGA 15 & 16 all over again

the only thing that keeps stalling the inevitable other than the insane contract is there arent really any enticing folks to replace Gus. imo our best chance to fire him was 2015 when we went 6-6 having to go to overtime to beat JSU was unacceptable even though we did win

34 minutes ago, KnightTiger said:

the only thing that keeps stalling the inevitable other than the insane contract is there arent really any enticing folks to replace Gus. imo our best chance to fire him was 2015 when we went 6-6 having to go to overtime to beat JSU was unacceptable even though we did win

There are a slew of excellent replacements out there right now. This is probably the first time since we've all started wanting to fire Gus that we can actually say that. If we don't try and go for one this year, we risk missing out on some really good candidates. Who knows when we'll get that shot again?

30 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Not necessarily

I agree with you. This time last year, I was in the ‘it can get worse’ mindset. Now I’ve shifted to this perspective: are there available coaches who could win 8 or more games with this roster and defense? I can think of quite a few guys who absolutely could.

10 minutes ago, Auhud08 said:

there are some nfl guys too that id be interested in us looking at

Eric Bieniemy would be one

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

Eric Bieniemy would be one

Hard pass on Bieniemy. I want nothing to do with anyone associated with Bill McCartney. Look up hypocrite in the dictionary and you'll see McCartney's picture. And Bieneiemy has a history.

On 11/17/2019 at 8:58 AM, lala said:

At this point is there a situation where he stays and fans would accept?     

If Gus wakes up one morning, looks in the mirror, and sees Urban Meyer....

1 hour ago, oracle79 said:

Hard pass on Bieniemy. I want nothing to do with anyone associated with Bill McCartney. Look up hypocrite in the dictionary and you'll see McCartney's picture. And Bieneiemy has a history.

A lonnnnng one! Goodness!

No one is perfect, starting absolutely with Tora in the mirror...but just wow. But...either way the pic tips...should there be a vacancy... 

😉😉😁😁☺☺🙌🙌

super-mario-party-river-survival-switch-minigames-preview-hands-on.jpg

Archived