Only saban made dumber calls than

TigerOne

Our coach and our game-plan was a failure, saban playing their franchise Qb in a game that was already won was pure stupidity.

Oh the media will say how smart he was 

and defend him but it may be the most ignorant thing he has ever done as a coach.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't care about Saban unless we actually beat his team then I will relish whatever he says.

More concerned about the laughing stock our program is becoming under Gus.

Ranks up there when shula kept Protho in and he broke his leg and never recovered after being ahead by a ton....It's easy to 2nd guess, but up by 28, going against MSU would equal Western Carolina; nothing to gain...

Tua was injured in the first half.  Replacing the starter with a backup is pretty uncommon in the first half, especially against a conference opponent.  It looks like a dumb call in hindsight, but I think most coaches in the country would have still had him out there.

8 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

Tua was injured in the first half.  Replacing the starter with a backup is pretty uncommon in the first half, especially against a conference opponent.  It looks like a dumb call in hindsight, but I think most coaches in the country would have still had him out there.

Probably so, but he was already hurt. I know the new hip injury had nothing to do with the ankle, but he’s already playing hurt with a pin in his ankle and you leave him in up by 28?

I think it’s logical to question that decision. 

15 minutes ago, DAG said:

Who cares? If they win out they will still be in the playoffs. We got bigger issues in our program. 

Depends on how the playoff committee looks at it. Without Tua, no way they are the 4th best team in the country. They do have “Gary Danielson” preaching sermons on why they should still be in the playoffs, so one never knows.

16 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Probably so, but he was already hurt. I know the new hip injury had nothing to do with the ankle, but he’s already playing hurt with a pin in his ankle and you leave him in up by 28?

I think it’s logical to question that decision. 

Had he been pulled as planned, no one would be questioning anything.  The only reason anyone is wondering why he was still in, in the first half, is because he ended up with an unrelated season-ending injury.  Against the very same team, Gus still had Nix in while up 42-9 in the 3rd quarter, in Jordan-Hare.

1 minute ago, Strychnine said:

Had he been pulled as planned, no one would be questioning anything.  The only reason anyone is wondering why he was still in, in the first half, is because he ended up with an unrelated season-ending injury.  Against the very same team, Gus still had Nix in while up 42-9 in the 3rd quarter, in Jordan-Hare.

Totally get your point. My point: Bo isn’t recovering from major surgery with a pin in his ankle. Bo is a true freshmen that needs the snaps.

Again, not completely disagreeing with you, but feel it is logical to question the decision to leave him in.

43 minutes ago, AUGunsmith said:

Saban didn do anything wrong. 

Tua didn even injure the same body part. 

If you're going to bash the best coach of the modern era, at least have an actual bad coaching decision. 

Bad coaching decision to play a gimpy QB  in a game where he did not need him.   Don't deny NS is a great coach but JMO, his desire to influence the Playoff Committee caused d him to make a really dumb decision to play Tua.   He's played Tua several games lately while he was slowed and not very mobile and it was only a matter of time until something like this happened....hobbling along and got nailed by two big defenders.   GREED....wanting to run up the score on a pitiful opponent hoping to impress the Committee.

29 minutes ago, DAG said:

Who cares? If they win out they will still be in the playoffs. We got bigger issues in our program. 

You don't think we sucked them out?

Just now, jAUSon said:

You don't think we sucked them out?

Nope. They will sit in that 5th spot. Who we really hurt was freaking Oregon. 

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Bad coaching decision to play a gimpy QB  in a game where he did not need him.   Don't deny NS is a great coach but JMO, his desire to influence the Playoff Committee caused d him to make a really dumb decision to play Tua.   He's played Tua several games lately while he was slowed and not very mobile and it was only a matter of time until something like this happened....hobbling along and got nailed by two big defenders.   GREED....wanting to run up the score on a pitiful opponent hoping to impress the Committee.

He knew Georgia would whoop our ass so.........

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Nope. They will sit in that 5th spot. Who we really hurt was freaking Oregon. 

So does that help us in other ways...😉😁

3 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Totally get your point. My point: Bo isn’t recovering from major surgery with a pin in his ankle. Bo is a true freshmen that needs the snaps.

Again, not completely disagreeing with you, but feel it is logical to question the decision to leave him in.

They would look at it as they have an upcoming visit to Jordan-Hare, and they need to work their QB back into things.  That game would be seen as their biggest obstacle to potentially claiming a playoff slot, if one is available to a 2nd SEC team.  As even Saban said, the plan was to work on their 2-minute offense, and then pull him for the 2nd half.  If everything goes as planned, they coast past Mississippi State and look like a football think tank as usual.  If it does not, then people are wondering why the starter was even still in the game at all.  In reality, coaches all do the same thing.

6 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Tua wasn't hobbling. He wasn't limping around and unable to move and nothing in his play indicated he shouldnt be out there in an SEC game. 

If tua is 100% this injury still happens. 

We can play the hindsight game all day, but freak accidents happen. 

There was no reason go pull tua. 

14 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

Wrong.....people were questioning that Tua was playing right from the start of the game.   It just looked like there would work out OK ...but it didn't.  And does anyone really believe that NS was just a play away from taking him out.?    

He probably would have pulled him for the second half but I think he basically lied when asked about why Tua was still in the game.....wanted him to "practice the two minute drill"....what BS.   what he really meant was he wanted to tack on another TD before the half to help the playoff chances. 

3 minutes ago, AUGunsmith said:

Tua wasn't hobbling. He wasn't limping around and unable to move and nothing in his play indicated he shouldnt be out there in an SEC game. 

JYO.....I've watched most of their games and he has not been near as mobile as in the past.  MSU had already gotten to him once or twice when he was not able to avoid the rush. 

Just saying....If I am the coach, he's not out there at all.   Bama did not need him to smother MSU.    

46 minutes ago, AUGunsmith said:

You realize many people were saying Tua shouldn’t have been playing period?

54 minutes ago, AU64 said:

JYO.....I've watched most of their games and he has not been near as mobile as in the past.  MSU had already gotten to him once or twice when he was not able to avoid the rush. 

Just saying....If I am the coach, he's not out there at all.   Bama did not need him to smother MSU.    

Why not just try to run up the score with the backup QB?  It would have been good experience for him.  

42 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Wrong.....people were questioning that Tua was playing right from the start of the game.   It just looked like there would work out OK ...but it didn't.  And does anyone really believe that NS was just a play away from taking him out.?    

He probably would have pulled him for the second half but I think he basically lied when asked about why Tua was still in the game.....wanted him to "practice the two minute drill"....what BS.   what he really meant was he wanted to tack on another TD before the half to help the playoff chances. 

Was anyone advocating holding Tua out of the game also alright with a potential loss to Mississippi  State?  No.  There was no unanimous chorus of "save Tua".

Tacking on additional TD's against an outmatched Mississippi State team does not help them in the slightest if they go on to lose to Auburn.  Beating them by 30 or beating them by 60 does not really matter.  The game was at Mississippi State, and a blowout is a blowout.  Auburn was very much their only obstacle to snatching up a playoff slot, if one is up for grabs, going into that game.  There is not a single coach in the SEC that would hold a starting QB that has been cleared to play out of a conference game.  They were trying to prep and practice Tua to play Auburn, and he ended up injured in the process.

Tua was out there because they wanted the best chance of beating Auburn, convincingly if possible.

2 hours ago, AUGunsmith said:

Saban didn do anything wrong. 

Tua didn even injure the same body part. 

If you're going to bash the best coach of the modern era, at least have an actual bad coaching decision. 

Make no mistake. Your hero coach is second-guessing himself as he tries to fall asleep tonight. He "Prothro'd" Tua today. His first, and most costly, Mike Shula moment.

3 hours ago, TigerOne said:

Our coach and our game-plan was a failure, saban playing their franchise Qb in a game that was already won was pure stupidity.

Oh the media will say how smart he was 

and defend him but it may be the most ignorant thing he has ever done as a coach.

Hey man, TigerOne right?

In case you missed it, heres a tl;dr of all the responses thus far.

Dear TigerOne,

How dare you question nick saban, he is amazing, didn't you know Auburn sucks in every way?

Sincerely,

"I promise I'm an Auburn fan."

Archived