Since we have to pay Gus the buyout anyway....

Quietmaninthecorner

I don't know s*** about coaching contracts,  but ....

Since we have to pay gus the buyout if we fire him,   couldn't we just demote him?    Make him clean toilets,  put him on stadium clean up  duty after games (all sports),  clean up toomers after a win,  all the s***ty jobs that we can think of and replace that bum with a coach .  Give him the most humiliating jobs at Auburn.  Students can taunt him till he quits.

Since we will have to pay that bum anyway,  we may as well put him to work!  Don't fire him,  change his workplace responsibilities. Put him on graveyard shift.  Demote his s***ty ass.

For a quiet man you said a mouthful. I suggested something like that last year but my job description wasn't as colorful as yours. I thought a reassignment was an option but I don't think humiliation should be part of it. Gus is not the coach we need but he's a good man and deserves more respect as a person than humiliation. But that's my take on it. 

20 minutes ago, gr82be said:

For a quiet man you said a mouthful. I suggested something like that last year but my job description wasn't as colorful as yours. I thought a reassignment was an option but I don't think humiliation should be part of it. Gus is not the coach we need but he's a good man and deserves more respect as a person than humiliation. But that's my take on it. 

And it's the right take.  This isn't about hating Gus or punishing Gus. It's about getting the football coach that the University, the players, and the fans deserve.

Gus is a good family man. He is a Christian man. He treats all people around him very well.  He does not deserve to be humiliated or demoted.  A simple ‘thank you for all the good things you have done for Auburn University and the football program but it’s time for us to go in another direction. Here’s your check. We wish you the best’ will be the way to do it. 

43 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Gus is a good family man. He is a Christian man. He treats all people around him very well.  He does not deserve to be humiliated or demoted.  A simple ‘thank you for all the good things you have done for Auburn University and the football program but it’s time for us to go in another direction. Here’s your check. We wish you the best’ will be the way to do it. 

The point is not so much the humiliation as it is to get him to quit on his own or work for his buyout.     $20 million is more than enough compensation for some humiliation. 

If he is such  "good Christian man "  and not just hypocrisy hidden behind a veil of Christianity may be  he should just use a simple " thank you Auburn for the opportunity and money"   and cancel the buyout clause and mutually part ways.    

It is enough money to fight for.  I think we should.  Hell Arkansas is fighting Beliema and they outright fired the guy. 

Probably because he has a contract and all that is already laid out in it..  And his lawyers are better than our lawyers.

If we’d do that to him, we’d do that to any other coach too and they know this. If we want to run off all the great coaching prospects, then yes let’s do it. Would effect more than football too. 

8 hours ago, around4ever said:

I agree and what kind of message would that send to potential coaching canadiates if they see Gus treated that way.

8 hours ago, Pedaler said:

Heck, I'd clean toilets all day long for $20 M

I might even give'em an extra hour of my time, per week.

My wife used to work for Japanese companies and that's sorta what they do.

At least in her circles, which were pretty standard for the most part, instead of firing an underachiever they would simply demote them to sit at a desk and literally do nothing.  Their "honor" would generally force them to quit.

Essentially, that's what the buyout would be.  Of course, $20+M can buy a lot of honor.

10 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Since we have to pay gus the buyout if we fire him,   couldn't we just demote him?    Make him clean toilets,  put him on stadium clean up  duty after games (all sports),  clean up toomers after a win,  all the s***ty jobs that we can think of and replace that bum with a coach .  Give him the most humiliating jobs at Auburn.  Students can taunt him till he quits.

Since we will have to pay that bum anyway,  we may as well put him to work!  Don't fire him,  change his workplace responsibilities. Put him on graveyard shift.  Demote his s***ty ass.

I am sure this post is just in jest but I am pretty sure when he signed on he had defined job details within his title, like every other job. If they were to change that, I am sure that would be a break on his original contract 

8 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

If he is such  "good Christian man "  and not just hypocrisy hidden behind a veil of Christianity may be  he should just use a simple " thank you Auburn for the opportunity and money"   and cancel the buyout clause and mutually part ways.    

Why on Earth would he do that, and what would that have to do with him being a Christian? 

Auburn knew full and well what they were doing when they signed that contract. Gus is 100% entitled to the money, and Auburn owes him every cent. 

Also, I can promise you that an attempt to "demote" Gus would not relieve the University of it's obligation to Gus. It would essentially create a new contract, and would be no different than firing him. 

40 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Also, I can promise you that an attempt to "demote" Gus would not relieve the University of it's obligation to Gus. It would essentially create a new contract, and would be no different than firing him. 

Precisely.  His contract and compensation is guaranteed unless there is firing for cause.  This is not even debatable. 

8 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

Precisely.  His contract and compensation is guaranteed unless there is firing for cause.  This is not even debatable. 

Don’t respond to the trolls.   That’s all that nonsense is, trolling.  

2 hours ago, Carnell said:

I agree and what kind of message would that send to potential coaching canadiates if they see Gus treated that way.

We aren’t paying him $7M per year to be a good Christian man.  We pay him that Top Ten money to have a Top Ten team and to at least break even with our top three rivals.  Other coaches understand that getting beat by your rivals 5 out of 7 years will get you fired. 

10 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

The point is not so much the humiliation as it is to get him to quit on his own or work for his buyout.     $20 million is more than enough compensation for some humiliation. 

It is enough money to fight for.  I think we should.  Hell Arkansas is fighting Beliema and they outright fired the guy. 

Would you ever want to work for a company that treats their contracted employees that way?  Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Good responses....Auburn doing what is right...JABA 😁

11 hours ago, around4ever said:

We aren’t paying him $7M per year to be a good Christian man.  We pay him that Top Ten money to have a Top Ten team and to at least break even with our top three rivals.  Other coaches understand that getting beat by your rivals 5 out of 7 years will get you fired. 

I never said we were paying him top ten money to be a Christian.  I was stating that humiliating gus was not the way to go because it would affect us with coaching canadiates.  I am not a gus fan no one on these boards is a bigger gus critic than me.  But either fire gus immediately, wait until the buyout is more reasonable, force gus to hire a qualified offensive staff or work behind the scene to try to renegotiate the buyout down and part ways but humiliating gus is a bad idea.

On 11/17/2019 at 6:09 AM, Quietmaninthecorner said:

If you want no one to ever take a job at AU.

On 11/17/2019 at 7:40 AM, around4ever said:

I fully support this statement!

Archived