Will Gus be fired?

ToomersStreet

For a serious conversation.   I want to know if we all actually think Gus could actually be fired this season?  Not do we  want him to be fired or should he  be fired  but would Auburn actually part ways with him.  It is safe to say Gus will  yet again go 8-4 this year and likely lose the bowl  game for his usual 8-5 record.   However, as I pointed out before the season started, whether  Gus starts Nix or Gatewood, he has a built in excuse for  going 8-4 because he had o start a freshman QB.  This is redundant of other threads and posts but I felt going into this season Gus was trying to set  himself up to be back next year, not have a  spectacular season.  Beating Oregon and close losses to UF, LSU,  UGA, and Bama and the excuse of a true freshman QB are probably enough to  keep the few remaining boosters (at least two that I am aware of) from from agreeing to fire him.  I do not think Greene is  ready to fire him either.   There has been nothing on this forum any other forum no articles podcasts, or shows that have remotely suggested Greene is thinking about a new coach.  I do not believe an interim University President wants to have to deal with it.   Where does he BOT actually stand?   Anyways,  despite us almost all agreeing that Gus needs to go, will we actually fire him.

I will say this.   As his agent, i think it is Jimmy Sextons responsibility to recognize that Auburn does not  want Gus around anymore, and should have a serious  discussion  with Gus about what is best for him and his career.  Going to  FSU or Arkansas although for  Gus would mean admitting failure at Auburn(not being able to win a Natty and not being a consistent 10-2 coach which is what I believe Gus sees himself as) is still far better for his image than being fired for failing to be better than 8-5.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be surprised. It would cost a lot and I don't know that Auburn could draw an easy sell as a replacement. The usual "Auburn is an 8 win team and that ain't bad" crowd will be out in force. The only way I see it happening is if a powerful enough booster forces the issue. 

as stated in another thread its been said the money is there to fire gus! last night if Georgia had held us completely scoreless I would say high chance gus is fired possibly as soon as sunday or monday following the iron bowl!

2 minutes ago, KnightTiger said:

as stated in another thread its been said the money is there to fire gus! last night if Georgia had held us completely scoreless I would say high chance gus is fired possibly as soon as sunday or monday following the iron bowl!

Exactly that’s why Kirby went soft in the forth to make it look better for Gus. If you are Nick, Kirby or Ed you would like for AU to keep Gus as their coach . That guarantees them a win most years against a middle of the pack team because Gus will always be Gus. And you know what his play call will be for every situation. Can’t do any better than having an opposing coach that you know his playbook better than him. 

Auburn is an 8 win team with Malzahn as head coach and nothing will ever change that as long as the powers at be continues to keep him. It will cost Auburn a lot more in the long run if they don't get rid of him soon after this season is over.

3 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Exactly that’s why Kirby went soft in the forth to make it look better for Gus. If you are Nick, Kirby or Ed you would like for AU to keep Gus as their coach . That guarantees them a win most years against a middle of the pack team because Gus will always be Gus. And you know what his play call will be for every situation. Can’t do any better than having an opposing coach that you know his playbook better than him. 

I am glad to know I was not the only one thinking that last night.

I don't know, I'm just kinda numb at this point. 

This is getting old (not this thread or the topic, just the feeling as an AU fan). 3 games we could (or should) have won. 

After the UF game, I was able to shake it off after a day or two. But the LSU and uga games have just taken the fun out of football. There's no moral victories from any of these games.

Something needs to change. 

6 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I don't buy this. 

uga just went prevent. We did the same vs aTm this year, and they scored a couple of times, after being shut down most of the game.

There was not a ton of time left, so they went prevent, and got conservative on offense (run the ball, run clock), and it worked out for them. Although, it almost backfired, since we started getting some confidence and momentum. 

I still think he can potentially keep or lose his job depending on the IB performance if the DSOR didn't already determine the PTB to fire him.....but.  If the people who determine his fate ($$$) haven't made up their minds that they've seen enough after yesterday to justify the roughly $60+M it would require to pay this staff plus the new administration, or if they're dense enough to think 6-1/2 mins of Gus taking advantage of a complacent stretch for the leg humpers & a prevent defense is "good football" then he can definitely still save his job with a respectable/lucky performance in the IB.

I'm still not totally sure that a complete meltdown will be enough for them to part with their money, TBH.  It may literally take a Christmas miracle. 

31 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

For a serious conversation.   I want to know if we all actually think Gus could actually be fired this season?  Not do we  want him to be fired or should he  be fired  but would Auburn actually part ways with him.  It is safe to say Gus will  yet again go 8-4 this year and likely lose the bowl  game for his usual 8-5 record.   However, as I pointed out before the season started, whether  Gus starts Nix or Gatewood, he has a built in excuse for  going 8-4 because he had o start a freshman QB.  This is redundant of other threads and posts but I felt going into this season Gus was trying to set  himself up to be back next year, not have a  spectacular season.  Beating Oregon and close losses to UF, LSU,  UGA, and Bama and the excuse of a true freshman QB are probably enough to  keep the few remaining boosters (at least two that I am aware of) from from agreeing to fire him.  I do not think Greene is  ready to fire him either.   There has been nothing on this forum any other forum no articles podcasts, or shows that have remotely suggested Greene is thinking about a new coach.  I do not believe an interim University President wants to have to deal with it.   Where does he BOT actually stand?   Anyways,  despite us almost all agreeing that Gus needs to go, will we actually fire him.

I will say this.   As his agent, i think it is Jimmy Sextons responsibility to recognize that Auburn does not  want Gus around anymore, and should have a serious  discussion  with Gus about what is best for him and his career.  Going to  FSU or Arkansas although for  Gus would mean admitting failure at Auburn(not being able to win a Natty and not being a consistent 10-2 coach which is what I believe Gus sees himself as) is still far better for his image than being fired for failing to be better than 8-5.

I don't see it, been saying for awhile 2020 will be his last hurrah. I think the powers that be can't be happy with the product they are receiving from him, especially at such a heavy price, but the buyout amount (thanks to the insane deal they gave him) is going to stave off his firing for 1 more season.

I think he's going to MAKE Auburn fire him with an actual bad season next year. As opposed to an average to above average season continued. Gotta remember a decent bit of these people are the same as with Tubs, and they wanted him gone for awhile too, but waited till he had a bad season to do it.

Also, it's important to note that any of this could change due to other factors. Some AU players get in trouble, a big name coach that we want comes available etc etc.

I also think opposing coaches have figured out that if you just give AU management and most fans a few close games to hang their hat on they won’t mind running second fiddle all the time. You can see that on this board consistently . Fans saying “ hey we only lost to the top four teams in our league ( again) so we should be happy”. I am not a coach but I believe I could get 6 wins against the small opponents we play just sitting on the sidelines and letting my assistants run the game. For $600000 a game that’s pretty good money. 

14 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

10 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

I am glad to know I was not the only one thinking that last night.

Nah man, not at all. Prevent defense prevents shutouts. As the saying goes. It's designed to allow the opposing O to move up the field at the cost of time. Everyone in the NFL does it, a ton of college teams do it. Kirby damn near started doing it too soon.

I don't believe Gus will be fired this season no matter what games he's able to lose.  

Part of it is paying the obscene buyout.

Part is that making 8-5 a fire-able offense seems unreasonable to many.  Many schools would kill for an 8-5 season against our schedule.

Part of it is that those who gave the go ahead to Gus' insane contract extension are probably loath to touch another negotiation for fear of their own incompetence, be that $ or getting the right replacement.

Part of it is the inertia of the status quo.

Gus is a master at putting himself in a position of having great excuses and many fans and boosters are eagerly or reluctantly willing to accept them as reasons for mediocrity.  Regrettably, we as a fan base have become quite good at weaving whole tapestries of excuses, which shows just how bad the situation has gotten.  Honestly, it's just embarrassing.  

Personally, I've lost all faith in Gus to build anything greater than an 8-5 team in Auburn.  But neither do I have faith in the PTB to hire an acceptable replacement or to make any good decisions at all regarding Auburn sports.  

As far as I'm concerned, Auburn's a basketball school until Gusbot or Bruce Pearl move on. 

Thank God for Bruce Pearl.  Everyone should pray to God Almighty every single night that we don't find a JABA way to ____ that up. 

8 minutes ago, yngwie1995 said:

I don't buy this. 

uga just went prevent. We did the same vs aTm this year, and they scored a couple of times, after being shut down most of the game.

There was not a ton of time left, so they went prevent, and got conservative on offense (run the ball, run clock), and it worked out for them. Although, it almost backfired, since we started getting some confidence and momentum. 

Good for you! I think the post was intended for humor. Regardless, time for a change.

Let’s put it this way. Say you make 60000 a year and really are not in a position to buy a new car but the car you have is just not dependable . It will get you to the local store but when you make the longer drive to work it fails you occasionally. You need to get to work or you will lose your income. At some point you have to buy the new car because if you don’t you stand to lose everything .  Same with Gus. With him we will win most of the Easy games and lose most of the tough games. Problem is pretty soon we won’t be relevant in football. We will Have become the Vanderbilt of the West. We will start loosing big sport contracts and that loss of money will begin to effect our other sports that football revenue provides for. So my point is if your ok being the Vanderbilt of the West then go ahead and keep Gus .  

17 minutes ago, yngwie1995 said:

I don't buy this. 

Kirby was trying to pull a Gus and play not to lose instead of to win. It almost bit him, but they tightened up and went back to their standard D and shut us down much like the rest of the game. 

As much as I want the Gus Malzahn era to end at Auburn it's not happening for at least another year. Auburn is stuck with the ridiculous buyout, and I feel won't make the move until the end of the 2020 season. The best we can hope for right now is for Gus to have an epiphany, and hire someone capable of helping the passing concepts, and finally realized that the game has evolved, and he hasn't. I don't have any faith in this scenario happening however, and have resigned myself to just being apathetic for another year.

Would love to know what went on with OC hires in past that led to Gus hiring a 29 year old that for all appearances has done nothing to approve Nix from week 1 to yesterday.  Did we deny Gus the right to hire Briles?  

Is it his payback to hire assistants that clearly are not ready for this level?  Did we give him chance to say “I did the best I could with the hamstringing y’all have done to me?”  

Granted those are not excuses for having no upperclassmen at QB, no quality lineman or WR core and missing on almost EVERY QB recruit you have signed.   But I wonder if it is in play. 

11 minutes ago, Auburn Kev said:

Which is why I think he's gone after the Iron Bowl. Les Miles and Mark Richt had more impressive resumes and still got fired. Gus nearly got canned last year when the buyout was higher.

Archived