Will Gus be fired?

ToomersStreet

Just now, ToraGirl said:

They're the ones at whom fingers are pointing... not the fans. The fans just want the earners to earn it. 

Exactly. No one has more skin in the game than them. Their actual livelihoods are tied to Gus's performance.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

He has a much better shot at actually winning in the playoffs here because he can get much better talent here. 

I guarantee you that he looks at this 2019 Auburn Tigers football team and his first thought- like that of several coaches, including Bob Stoops- is, "I'd have them undefeated and #1 in the country." But he's sitting there with 1 loss and outside the playoffs (for now) because the most talented Oregon team he could ever hope for lost to a much more talented Auburn team. 

Good point. I didn't think about the difference in the level of available talent. Well, I certainly have my fingers crossed that he winds up here. Either Cristobal or Fleck would be my pick if I were choosing. Our recruiting would be stellar with either and with Cristobal's connections, it's nice to think we'd likely have a solid O-line...and maybe even depth to go with it :D  

But, if we don't make a move soon enough, Cristobal surely gets an extension for the season he's produced, no?

19 minutes ago, WarDamn2010 said:

Genuinely curious here, so don't take this the wrong way. Why is Cristobal reportedly so eager to coach at Auburn? I hope and pray he legitimately is, but Oregon can pony up just as much money as we can, can they not? And staying at Oregon gets him a schedule that is 2 or 3 games shy of a cake walk. I've read several reports that state he is very interested, specifically, in coaching at Auburn...just curious as to why.

I see Keesler & McLoofus gave solid answers but one more point is that he's apparently been quoted fairly recently that he literally covets the Auburn job, if I understand correctly.   I don't have the link but "inside" poster have reported this.

1 minute ago, caleb1633 said:

Exactly. No one has more skin in the game than them. Their actual livelihoods are tied to Gus's performance.

Agree. 

that-hot-seat-so-hot-right-now-emegenerator-net-now-is-14608698.png

Just now, WarDamn2010 said:

But, if we don't make a move soon enough, Cristobal surely gets an extension for the season he's produced, no?

I would have to think so. 

And who knows. Maybe his camp's been sending out smoke signals for that exact reason. 

Just now, AUsince72 said:

I see Keesler & McLoofus gave solid answers but one more point is that he's apparently been quoted fairly recently that he literally covets the Auburn job, if I understand correctly.   I don't have the link but "inside" poster have reported this.

That was the quote I was thinking of but couldn't remember exactly how it was worded. It seemed very much that Auburn is to Cristobal and Georgia was to Kirby. Fine by me if true!

8 minutes ago, keesler said:

We know the interim Prez Gouge could care less about Auburn athletics, and that's fine because academics should be his priority. 

We have an AD who is learning how things are done at a P5 school in the strongest conference in the toughest division.  Does Greene really know what the standard at Auburn should be relative to the football program?  Does he have any idea of our rivals and how important it is to stand toe to toe with them in facilities, and on the field?  

For all we know, the Administration may be perfectly fine with the current situation with this staff and their performance.  I'd hope that the big money boosters and the wealthy men pulling the strings (the old Bobby Lowder types) would expect more than what than what they've seen, but who really knows?  

Unless he has encapsulated himself inside a bubble, it would be impossible for him to even tour Auburn's athletic facilities and not grasp the scope and importance of Auburn football.

1 minute ago, AUsince72 said:

We really are going to be the most attractive opening in the country. It's tough sledding but we've got what it takes to take our seat at the table and saban is old as dirt. 

Just now, WarDamn2010 said:

That was the quote I was thinking of but couldn't remember exactly how it was worded. It seemed very much that Auburn is to Cristobal and Georgia was to Kirby. Fine by me if true!

Some also say that he hates saban enough that it plays into his desire, but obviously I have no idea if that's true or not. 

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 9:15 AM, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Exactly that’s why Kirby went soft in the forth to make it look better for Gus. If you are Nick, Kirby or Ed you would like for AU to keep Gus as their coach . That guarantees them a win most years against a middle of the pack team because Gus will always be Gus. And you know what his play call will be for every situation. Can’t do any better than having an opposing coach that you know his playbook better than him. 

I hope this is at least somewhat sarcastic. No way this actually happened. One wrong play at the end and Ga. loses.

23 minutes ago, keesler said:

We know the interim Prez Gouge could care less about Auburn athletics, and that's fine because academics should be his priority. 

We have an AD who is learning how things are done at a P5 school in the strongest conference in the toughest division.  Does Greene really know what the standard at Auburn should be relative to the football program?  Does he have any idea of our rivals and how important it is to stand toe to toe with them in facilities, and on the field?  

For all we know, the Administration may be perfectly fine with the current situation with this staff and their performance.  I'd hope that the big money boosters and the wealthy men pulling the strings (the old Bobby Lowder types) would expect more than what than what they've seen, but who really knows?  

I’m not so sure those guys really care either. Fact is Auburn has a 63% all time record. What most of us consider our greatest two coaches were Dye (71% winning record) and Shug (66% winning record). We probably would have run both of those guys off nowadays. 

We are a middle of the road team, historically. Not saying we can’t one day be better. But in 127 years of football, we’ve never taken that step to be great. So I have no reason to believe Auburn has a bunch of people at the top that are eager for that. 

4 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I’m not so sure those guys really care either. Fact is Auburn has a 63% all time record. What most of us consider our greatest two coaches were Dye (71% winning record) and Shug (66% winning record). We probably would have run both of those guys off nowadays. 

We are a middle of the road team, historically. Not saying we can’t one day be better. But in 127 years of football, we’ve never taken that step to be great. So I have no reason to believe Auburn has a bunch of people at the top that are eager for that. 

We've also never hired a proven winning coach...chicken or the egg

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

We've also never hired a proven winning coach...chicken or the egg

Agree. That’s part of my argument here. The people at the top don’t seem to be so hungry for glory that they’re willing to let someone like a Saban or a Myer come in and run the show, effectively giving up their control.

1 minute ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I’m not so sure those guys really care either. Fact is Auburn has a 63% all time record. Our greatest two coaches were Dye (71% winning record) and Shug (66% winning record). We probably would have run both of those guys off nowadays. 

Have to disagree. Historically, we have been middle of the road, but the desire to take the next step is certainly there. We are paying the 6th highest salary in the nation for our current coach, with only 2 coaches being paid considerably more (Saban and Dabo). We don't slouch on assistants either. Kevin Steele is the 3rd highest paid assistant in the nation, making over 2 million a year. Then stadium renovations, new football only facility coming, top tier recruiting budget...we're definitely keeping up with the big dogs. Just need a coach who is competent enough to do the same.

1 minute ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Agree. That’s part of my argument here. The people at the top don’t seem to be so hungry for glory that they’re willing to let someone like a Saban or a Myer come in and run the show, effectively giving up their control.

However, those like Smart, Jimbo, Cristobal, and Stoops have all expressed interest.

2 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I'll agree here though. We're doing everything else right, but continually suffer from good ole boy syndrome. We seem to have finally taken a step outside the box in hiring AG, so my hope would be that mentality will continue once it is decided that a change is necessary.

6 minutes ago, WarDamn2010 said:

Have to disagree. Historically, we have been middle of the road, but the desire to take the next step is certainly there. We are paying the 6th highest salary in the nation for our current coach, with only 2 coaches being paid considerably more (Saban and Dabo). We don't slouch on assistants either. Kevin Steele is the 3rd highest paid assistant in the nation, making over 2 million a year. Then stadium renovations, new football only facility coming, top tier recruiting budget...we're definitely keeping up with the big dogs. Just need a coach who is competent enough to do the same.

Agreed. I think the days of Auburn being content with mediocrity so long as the coach is a choir boy died when JJ left. People want to win now. We went undefeated in 2004, won the NC in 2010, and played for it in 2013. Championships are now the expectation.

Edit: also, like him or not, Saban's reign of dominance has raised the expectations of our program. We can't just have ole Tubby beating the breaks off Shula anymore. We have to beat Saban, and to do that we have to have teams capable of winning it all.

16 minutes ago, bg5 said:

I hope this is at least somewhat sarcastic. No way this actually happened. One wrong play at the end and Ga. loses.

One wrong play at the end and Auburn ties UGA, right?

Just now, caleb1633 said:

Agreed. I think the days of Auburn being content with mediocrity so long as the coach is a choir boy died when JJ left. People want to win now. We went undefeated in 2004, won the NC in 2010, and played for it in 2013. Championships are now the expectation.

Yep, or certainly producing a product capable of getting you there. My biggest gripe with Gus hasn't been a lack of championships or even his lack of wins (while that's pretty frustrating, no doubt). It's the way he goes about adding to his losses category. When we lost 55-44 to Bama in 2014, it sucked, but at least we were in that game until the very end. Now, it's hard to feel like we can score more than 3 times against a decent team. His monstrous salary just doesn't leave room for his team to look even moderately inept, much less entirely.

8 minutes ago, WarDamn2010 said:

We are paying the 6th highest salary in the nation for our current coach, with only 2 coaches being paid considerably more (Saban and Dabo).

That’s the most frustrating part. We are willing to pay high dollar for a Gus Malzahn, but he hasn’t really done anything to deserve it. If we are going to pay a coach this kind of money, it should be a coach that has at least been to a playoff.

4 minutes ago, keesler said:

One wrong play at the end and Auburn ties UGA, right?

Probably not. The kicking situation leads us to try a 2 point conversion, where Gus inevitably schemes up a play only a true offensive savant could conjure.
We have to run the play they would absolutely never expect. Picture it. Whitlow gets the ball, but in the wildcat. Literally no one could possibly know what's going to happen. Then, he runs up the middle, straight at their largest defender........and we lose by 1

9 minutes ago, WarDamn2010 said:

We're doing everything else right, but continually suffer from good ole boy syndrome.

Here’s the thing though. These good old boys aren’t going to go away if we are tugging on their belt loop everytime we need them to pony up money for something. And they shouldn’t. If a group of guys agrees to pay for this stupid buyout, they’re damn sure going to want to have a say in who comes in next. And the merry go round continues to turn.

2 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

That’s the most frustrating part. We are willing to pay high dollar for a Gus Malzahn, but he hasn’t really done anything to deserve it. If we are going to pay a coach this kind of money, it should be a coach that has at least been to a playoff.

Absolutely. Bringing someone in (not named Nick or Dabo) for this amount of cash is foolish. Bring them in considerably lower and make them earn up to that point. Gus capitalized on beating Georgia and Bama and pulled one over on the administration. He has done absolutely nothing to earn that pay, while those around him on the salary leaderboard have all won championships, been to the playoffs, won superbowls, etc

Also, sidenote, Jeff Brohm at Purdue is 8th highest making 6.6 mil a year. Wow. Did not expect that.

Archived