Will Gus be fired?

ToomersStreet

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, aucom96 said:

I'd be surprised. It would cost a lot and I don't know that Auburn could draw an easy sell as a replacement. The usual "Auburn is an 8 win team and that ain't bad" crowd will be out in force. The only way I see it happening is if a powerful enough booster forces the issue. 

Auburn is a 9 win team once we beaT Bamma

Yes certainly after next season. Next year is shaping up to really bad. We had an experienced team this year while our top rival teams were younger. Next year we will be young and they’ll be experienced smh. The time to win was this season.

No. 
Although I think he should be removed, we are stuck in mediocrity due to the imbeciles that made his deal.  I know some say we have the money but I would be floored if we pay for Gus, his assistants, a new coach, and the new coach assistants. 

From a national perspective, a majority of the immediate headlines would likely focus on letting a coach go because losing by a combined 20 points against the top 4 on our schedule, all of them in playoff contention most of the year and 3 of them slated for playoff or New Years bowl. We, on the inside, know that due to his coaching inefficiencies alone is the reason we have lost those games. In my opinion, we have the most complete team in the country minus one very important part, offensive play calling. When looking at it from a we should be undefeated, to a 4 or 5 loss team is ground to fire him. 

I’m just really hoping the Arkansas possibility could happen. It’s too good to be true but it sure would take care of everything. Obviously Gus and his agents are aware of the toxic situation between him and the AU fanbase and see the need for a change. A guy can hope I guess. 

35 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

Kirby was trying to pull a Gus and play not to lose instead of to win. It almost bit him, but they tightened up and went back to their standard D and shut us down much like the rest of the game. 

I don’t buy this.    After scoring the first touchdown, there was nothing conservative about how he was playing defense.   A 4 and 3 pass to a wide open running back is what stopped the drive.  

3 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

I don’t buy this.    After scoring the first touchdown, there was nothing conservative about how he was playing defense.   A 4 and 3 pass to a wide open running back is what stopped the drive.  

They were still playing mostly zone on our second TD drive.  I do agree that a throw 75% of D1 QBs could make would've helped us out a lot though.

I think he’s here one more year unless the Iron Bowl is an absolute meltdown. 

Like others have mentioned I think next year has a real chance to get ugly. 

31 minutes ago, caleb1633 said:

Which is why I think he's gone after the Iron Bowl. Les Miles and Mark Richt had more impressive resumes and still got fired. Gus nearly got canned last year when the buyout was higher.

Exactly. If AU wants to run with the big dogs that can’t have a miniature poodle for a head coach. Gus is and will always be an a 4-4 coach against D1 P5 teams. When we say 8-4 it sounds better than when we actually start considering that one of those wins against a none D1 team. Two more against small D2 group of 5 teams and at least a team like Arky or Vandy that is bottom feeders . And usually at least one other middle of the pack team that is in the process of rebuilding. If AU loses more than 2 games In A season it is a bad year. Period . No excuse needed. 

44 minutes ago, Auburn Kev said:

This fact is embarrassing. How can anyone come up with a way to defend this?

1 hour ago, WarEagle1982 said:

I am going to say no, he will not be fired.  Also, who do you hire that will be willing to come there?

it has been stated in the past some coaches would not consider coming to auburn because of all the meddling with the football team by some boosters. i have no idea how to prove this but i believe it was discussed on this board.

3 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

it has been stated in the past some coaches would not consider coming to auburn because of all the meddling with the football team by some boosters. i have no idea how to prove this but i believe it was discussed on this board.

If we get a coach who isn’t a coward, it probably won’t be an issue. 

1 hour ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Exactly that’s why Kirby went soft in the forth to make it look better for Gus. If you are Nick, Kirby or Ed you would like for AU to keep Gus as their coach . That guarantees them a win most years against a middle of the pack team because Gus will always be Gus. And you know what his play call will be for every situation. Can’t do any better than having an opposing coach that you know his playbook better than him. 

You are right about Kirby going soft to make Gus look better.  Betcha a lot of Auburn people get behind that 4th quarter.  Reminds me back when Barfield was coach and Bear said on his Sunday show that we had the brightest young coach in football after beating us 37-7. Auburn people who never listened to Bear starting quoting him oh what he said about Barfield.

ly call him a coward.

1 minute ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

If we get a coach who isn’t a coward, it probably won’t be an issue. 

was boom not one? i might have the wrong guy but boom is no coward.

This is how it should be right now. uat has had a good run we should still expect to win 2 out of 5 minimum. Uga , atm and LSU And top 15 OC teams we should win 2 out of four. The two Miss teams we should win at least 3 out of 5. The same for Florida and USCe . Ky and Missouri , UT for now and P5 OC non top 15 teams we should win 3 out of 4 and the rest we should win all of them. 

No he won't be terminated this year. It is just too much money.

Here is a question. How many of you, even if your net worth was greater than say ($500) million, would donate the money for the buyout ($26.625) million to an institution that hired a university president (Steven Leath) who signed the ($49) million seven year contract in the first place? Remember that same institution rewarded the aforementioned university president with a separation package north of ($4) million when he was unceremoniously terminated recently. I know I wouldn't.

1 minute ago, aubiefifty said:

Actually, I believe Gus has just proven the concept of too much meddling is false.  Auburn let Gus run his show this year and we see the results.  If any coach has been paying attention they will see that.  Gus has not been meddled with for awhile (probably since that ridiculous contract) and he has proven to the world what he can do.

So, lets move on from this argument and find another.  Nothing against you, fifty, just tired of this type on reasoning.

2 minutes ago, Carnell said:

You are right about Kirby going soft to make Gus look better.  Betcha a lot of Auburn people get behind that 4th quarter.  Reminds me back when Barfield was coach and Bear said on his Sunday show that we had the brightest young coach in football after beating us 37-7. Auburn people who never listened to Bear starting quoting him oh what he said about Barfield.

so you are saying ga went prevent to make gus look better? lol ok wid dat...........

Just now, aubiefifty said:

ly call him a coward.

was boom not one? i might have the wrong guy but boom is no coward.

I assumed you were referring to head coaches. Muschamp didn’t ever have any intentions of staying at AU very long. We anticipated that he would jump as soon as a decent opening appeared. 

1 minute ago, I_M4_AU said:

Actually, I believe Gus has just proven the concept of too much meddling is false.  Auburn let Gus run his show this year and we see the results.  If any coach has been paying attention they will see that.  Gus has not been meddled with for awhile (probably since that ridiculous contract) and he has proven to the world what he can do.

So, lets move on from this argument and find another.  Nothing against you, fifty, just tired of this type on reasoning.

i was trying to have a discussion. too often when folks disagree it is an argument on here and that is not my intent nor many others. it is sunday morning and i am in a very peaceful mood. i just wanted to clarify that. but we are good on my end.

3 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I assumed you were referring to head coaches. Muschamp didn’t ever have any intentions of staying at AU very long. We anticipated that he would jump as soon as a decent opening appeared. 

yes i understand that but i still think he made some comments. am i wrong? just asking......

Archived