Null



Sign in to follow this  
ToomersStreet

Will Gus be fired?

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

For all we know, Dillingham, Kodi, and Carnell might field a more effective offense with Gus out of the way.

 

image.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




I'm not watching his presser from last night....just don't care enough... But did Gus REALLY say this?

“Bo competed. I mean, he's a winner. He competes. You know, he's a winner, and like I said, he's a great competitor. He battled. He battled. He fought.”

Here's the link to Josh Vitale's article:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.montgomeryadvertiser.com/amp/4196971002

Reminds me of a certain 80's movie starting Dennis Hoffman & Tom Cruise.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I'm not watching his presser from last night....just don't care enough... But did Gus REALLY say this?

“Bo competed. I mean, he's a winner. He competes. You know, he's a winner, and like I said, he's a great competitor. He battled. He battled. He fought.”

Here's the link to Josh Vitale's article:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.montgomeryadvertiser.com/amp/4196971002

Reminds me of a certain 80's movie starting Dennis Hoffman & Tom Cruise.

All he does for the most part in his press conferences is speak in cliches so sounds about right

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OP should add a poll as to what year it will happen--I almost started a topic asking that question until I remembered this thread existed.

2020 is my bet--it's won't be much more than what FSU paid by that point.

Edited by AUwent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Mims44 said:

I don't see it, been saying for awhile 2020 will be his last hurrah. I think the powers that be can't be happy with the product they are receiving from him, especially at such a heavy price, but the buyout amount (thanks to the insane deal they gave him) is going to stave off his firing for 1 more season.

 I think he's going to MAKE Auburn fire him with an actual bad season next year. As opposed to an average to above average season continued. Gotta remember a decent bit of these people are the same as with Tubs, and they wanted him gone for awhile too, but waited till he had a bad season to do it.

Also, it's important to note that any of this could change due to other factors. Some AU players get in trouble, a big name coach that we want comes available etc etc.

You nailed it.

They’re not going to fire an 8-win coach. Not with this schedule & not with a true freshman QB. Never even was a consideration prior to this season.

However, with the OL, DL & Secondary attrition combined with road games at GA & bammer, next season is setting up to be a 1998 / 2008 / 2012 type season and will leave “no doubt” about Gus’ fate. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Auburn is an always has been unpredictable................................................................................

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Viper said:

You nailed it.

They’re not going to fire an 8-win coach. Not with this schedule & not with a true freshman QB. Never even was a consideration prior to this season.

However, with the OL, DL & Secondary attrition combined with road games at GA & bammer, next season is setting up to be a 1998 / 2008 / 2012 type season and will leave “no doubt” about Gus’ fate. 

Perfect..then the team would’ve bottomed out..at least right now there is somewhat a path of redemption for someone to look towards 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The good news is that we plan to be moved to TN before the '20 season so we'll be spending our time in Pigeon Forge & Gatlinburg on football Saturdays (providing I'm able) so I'll be able to spend more fun time with the family and regaining some perspective.  I'm sure my phone will still get a score workout but I won't be sweating anything until the Coach Search.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FWIW Marcello and Ron Sanders think Gus survives a loss to Alabama. Not sure who they're talking to though and how it jives with what bigbird, PTB, WDE are talking to however.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

FWIW Marcello and Ron Sanders think Gus survives a loss to Alabama. Not sure who they're talking to though and how it jives with what bigbird, PTB, WDE are talking to however.

My guess is too  many moving pieces results in Gus making it to next season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah it would likely be Kevin Steele to replace Gus for the simple fact... there is too much Auburn on the coaching staff. They aren’t firing all the Auburn coaches. RG, Travis Williams, Cadillac, Kodi Burns. They’ll promote from within to keep the staff together, or they’ll just keep Gus.

  • Angry 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, johnnyAU said:

Dude. Bama's D isn't nearly as good as it has been in the past. Our D should be able to keep them under 30 pts.

HOWEVER, with Carlson at what 40% in FG's this year, we might not even score. What a shame too. 

We have the D to beat Bama with Tua 100% healthy.  We have an O that would struggle against Vandy.

Our fans and stadium will be rocking. The players will play their hearts out. Our HC will still be clueless and predictable. 

Advantage? Opponent.

I told someone today

O - advantage Alabama - Jones isn't nearly as good as Tua but he has folks like Jeudy, Smith, Ruggs, Waddle and Harris to help him out

D - advantage Auburn - our D -Line should hold its own. but our secondary will have to step up to cover those receivers

Special teams Punt - advantage Alabama - our punt coverage has been pretty bad at times this year as seen against Oregon and Ole Miss we cant afford to let Waddle have open lanes on punt returns

Special teams Field Goal - advantage no one

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, KnightTiger said:

I told someone today

O - advantage Alabama - Jones isn't nearly as good as Tua but he has folks like Jeudy, Smith, Ruggs, Waddle and Harris to help him out

D - advantage Auburn - our D -Line should hold its own. but our secondary will have to step up to cover those receivers

Special teams Punt - advantage Alabama - our punt coverage has been pretty bad at times this year as seen against Oregon and Ole Miss we cant afford to let Waddle have open lanes on punt returns

Special teams Field Goal - advantage no one

No offense meant here, but your analysis doesn't work.  You can't say Bama has the O edge and we have the D edge when those two units face each other.  Gotta look at from this perspective with units facing off.  My opinions in parentheses.

Bama O vs AU D (probably a push)

Bama D vs AU O (slight edge Bama)

Bama return vs AU coverage (big edge Bama)

AU return vs Bama return (probably a push)

Field Goal kicking (HAHAHAHAHA for both)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WalkingCarpet said:

FWIW Marcello and Ron Sanders think Gus survives a loss to Alabama. Not sure who they're talking to though and how it jives with what bigbird, PTB, WDE are talking to however.

This makes no logical sense honestly . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now what, if we recall, is Marcello's record of accuracy these days?  

Anyway...trust. the. silence.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AUwent said:

How many games do we have to lose next season? 5? 6? 7? 8?

Better question, How many games can we realistically  win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

Better question, How many games can we realistically  win.

I would ask that question. But with Gus's knack for somehow being able to do the bare minimum, year after year, it needs to be said.

Think about 2011--most pessimistic I've ever been going into a season, and they were just as bad a team as the next year, but got some IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNSAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNE luck and won 8 games. Well, next year is going to take that honor of pre-season pessimism.

Edited by AUwent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

No offense meant here, but your analysis doesn't work.  You can't say Bama has the O edge and we have the D edge when those two units face each other.  Gotta look at from this perspective with units facing off.  My opinions in parentheses.

Bama O vs AU D (probably a push)

Bama D vs AU O (slight edge Bama)

Bama return vs AU coverage (big edge Bama)

AU return vs Bama return (probably a push)

Field Goal kicking (HAHAHAHAHA for both)

yeah I was basically comparing both offenses and defenses

 

if it comes down to offense winning the game you have to go with bama since theirs is better than ours

if it comes down to defense winning the game I guess you have to go with auburn. but again we cant let jeudy, smith, ruggs , waddle etc find open lanes in our secondary

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will Gus be fired this year?

NO!

If Auburn beats Bama -- definitely not
If Auburn loses to Bama but wins a big time bowl game -- Probably not.
If Auburn loses to Bama AND loses its bowl game to a mediocre team, still unlikely.

Auburn has no university president. Greene is unlikely to make such a major move without a president to sign off on it. And I think Gus knows this.

That said, if Gus were offered a job at another school where he might feel comfy, and if he decide to bargain, I think Greene would tell him goodbye and good luck.

 

 

Edited by AURex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Zeek said:

 

He's actually 2-4 in bowl games; the only victories were to Memphis and Purdue in 2015 and 2018 respectively. 0-10 in Baton Rouge, Athens, and Tuscaloosa is the most depressing stat there. My Lord....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, ToomersStreet said:

Auburn is an always has been unpredictable................................................................................

Except on offense...:'(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this