Will Gus be fired?

ToomersStreet

5 minutes ago, caleb1633 said:

He's actually 2-4 in bowl games; the only victories were to Memphis and Purdue in 2015 and 2018 respectively. 0-10 in Baton Rouge, Athens, and Tuscaloosa is the most depressing stat there. My Lord....

Honestly. He's indefensible at this point.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Honestly. He's indefensible at this point.

There's still plenty of people doing it. Check out the thread by the person who attended the game as said they'd still stand by Gus since the players play hard for him. They fail to understand that effort without results is wasted energy. That isn't a knock on the players; it's a knock on Gus for having players putting so much effort towards a failed offensive system.

No I don't see it happening. Finacially it would be a stupid move this season. I am tired of having an offensive offense but for the future of the program I don't want it to happen. The buyout would put a very large dent in the cost of the new football complex. If AU wants to make a move wait a year or two if things don't implode and have that shiny new building dangling out there like a carrot for the perfect hire.

2 minutes ago, caleb1633 said:

There's still plenty of people doing it. Check out the thread by the person who attended the game as said they'd still stand by Gus since the players play hard for him. They fail to understand that effort without results is wasted energy.

That was abw who I interact with a decent amount. He's a great dude and I think he's clarifying he supports the head coach. Though, I think he understands we can do better.

37 minutes ago, RHN1975 said:

No I don't see it happening. Finacially it would be a stupid move this season. I am tired of having an offensive offense but for the future of the program I don't want it to happen. The buyout would put a very large dent in the cost of the new football complex. If AU wants to make a move wait a year or two if things don't implode and have that shiny new building dangling out there like a carrot for the perfect hire.

It wouldn't be financially irresponsible though. Gus will 100% be fired after next season; I don't think anyone in their right mind thinks he'd survive. So we're going to have to pay him a buyout either way. The buyout goes down some next year, but you're also paying him a salary. With all the money we'd lose from donations, ticket sales, merchandise, etc. it may be more financially irresponsible not to fire him this year. If "money" is the only reason to keep him, then there's no reason to do it. Go ahead and cut the cord now.

53 minutes ago, RHN1975 said:

If you intend to fire him after next year, you're advocating for AU to spend more money.  More expensive to let him coach 2020 and then give him a buyout vs just paying the buyout now by nearly $2M.

18 minutes ago, caleb1633 said:

It wouldn't be financially irresponsible though. Gus will 100% be fired after next season; I don't think anyone in their right mind thinks he'd survive. So we're going to have to pay him a buyout either way. The buyout goes down some next year, but you're also paying him a salary. With all the money we'd lose from donations, ticket sales, merchandise, etc. it may be more financially irresponsible not to fire him this year. If "money" is the only reason to keep him, then there's no reason to do it. Go ahead and cut the cord now.

Yes, Caleb. What if donations to the football-only facility are conditional upon a release...or a relocation 😉...few ever think in terms of what's being withheld... 

Some people keep looping back to this point: "we wouldn't fire a coach after an 8 win season with our schedule"

This isn't about the 2019 8 win season, a freshman QB, or having the nation's toughest schedule. It's just not. Take a step back, look at the big picture. The last 7 years. It's about allllll those 8 win seasons (or less!). It's about allllll those losses. It's about having an unbelievably poor record against our 3 main rivals -- 2 of which underwent regime changes during Gus' tenure.

LSU and UGA laid the blueprint out for us. They said you can fire a coach who is getting results that reach the minimum and upgrade. And they have. UGA has played for a national title and beat us to win an SEC championship. LSU went from firing their coach the night after losing to us to being a serious candidate to win the whole damn thing this year. They fired Les when they did because they didn't want him to win support back by closing the season strong because they knew what he is and how he'd reached his ceiling and even with a few wins down the stretch it wouldn't change how far he could take the program any longerWe need to make a gutsy move, pull the plug on this BS, and keep up with our peers. They're moving forward. We are standing still and look to take a major step back next year. 

I don't care if we beat Bama by 4 TDs I don't want Gus around our program anymore. 

Also, a new coach saddled with personnel issues left by Gus would be infinitely better than Gus laying in his own bed that he **** in and try to navigate a frustrating season primed for subpar results with such an exodus in the trenches on both sides.

The fans would know it's not the new guys fault and we would all be on the same page that he has 4 more years to  try to fix this mess Gus made. We would know that the program and leadership is working towards something rather than just trying to survive a season. Gus is no longer building anything here. He's just putting a hodgepodge of stuff together and hoping it allows us to score points. Gus lost his identity in 2015 and has been scrambling ever since. 6 QBs in a game? Pocket passers or dual threats? Calling plays or not calling plays? Aggressive or conservative? I mean it's just a big pile of horse trash that gets stinkier and stinkier with each passing day.

7 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Some people keep looping back to this point: "we wouldn't fire a coach after an 8 win season with our schedule"

This isn't about the 2019 8 win season, a freshman QB, or having the nation's toughest schedule. It's just not. Take a step back, look at the big picture. The last 7 years. It's about allllll those 8 win seasons (or less!). It's about allllll those losses. It's about having an unbelievably poor record against our 3 main rivals -- 2 of which underwent regime changes during Gus' tenure.

LSU and UGA laid the blueprint out for us. They said you can fire a coach who is getting results that reach the minimum and upgrade. And they have. UGA has played for a national title and beat us to win an SEC championship. LSU went from firing their coach the night after losing to us to being a serious candidate to win the whole damn thing this year. They fired Les when they did because they didn't want him to win support back by closing the season strong because they knew what he is and how he'd reached his ceiling and even with a few wins down the stretch it wouldn't change how far he could take the program any longerWe need to make a gutsy move, pull the plug on this BS, and keep up with our peers. They're moving forward. We are standing still and look to take a major step back next year. 

I don't care if we beat Bama by 4 TDs I don't want Gus around our program anymore. 

Honestly screw the schedule. Top ten talent, top six pay. Figure it out is how I feel. If you can’t figure it out forego the money and responsibility. 

Just now, DAG said:

Honestly screw the schedule. Top ten talent, top six pay. Figure it out is how I feel. If you can’t figure it out forego the money and responsibility. 

And the fact that we keep seeing the same types of coaching blunders this far into the tenure is inexcusable. Our offensive performance looked exactly like it has in numerous ugly losses over the last 5 years. Doesn't matter who the QB is. Doesn't matter who the OC in name is. Doesn't matter who is the public face of being the play caller. I mean enough is enough already. We get it. 

11 minutes ago, Tiger said:

And the fact that we keep seeing the same types of coaching blunders this far into the tenure is inexcusable. Our offensive performance looked exactly like it has in numerous ugly losses over the last 5 years. Doesn't matter who the QB is. Doesn't matter who the OC in name is. Doesn't matter who is the public face of being the play caller. I mean enough is enough already. We get it. 

Exactly I just think it’s laughable when our fans cry about the schedule or say if we played in the ACC we would be undefeated. Yes with SEC talent players of course, but whose to say we keep the same recruiting class if we played on the east coast majority. That is why I am impressed with Dabo because he has gotten national level prospects at Clemson. It didn’t happen over night . He had to win consistently and beat the big dogs when his time came. I am not so sure God could get to the NC 3 out of 4 years with an ACC schedule let alone win it twice.

1 hour ago, caleb1633 said:

There's still plenty of people doing it. Check out the thread by the person who attended the game as said they'd still stand by Gus since the players play hard for him. They fail to understand that effort without results is wasted energy. That isn't a knock on the players; it's a knock on Gus for having players putting so much effort towards a failed offensive system.

He says that every week but @abw0004 is a loyal fan and he won't say anything publicly about Gus. I'm sure he has his private opinion and chooses to keep it private whether it's different or not. He's not in the same category as the ones who fail to see.

Just to pile on here...

A lot of coaches could do what Gus is doing at Auburn.  We can recruit at Auburn.  The problems Tennessee and Nebraska are having go much deeper than anything Auburn would face even if we hired the wrong guy.  You could make the argument the last 4 guys were the “wrong” guy but they have all had some success at Auburn. 

But the bottom line is if we are going to be satisfied with 4 loss seasons and less than 50% against the Big 3 then we can at least hire a guy cheaper and maybe with an offense that doesn’t look like a Pop Warner coach is running it. 

1 minute ago, gr82be said:

He says that every week but @abw0004 is a loyal fan and he won't say anything publicly about Gus. I'm sure he has his private opinion and chooses to keep it private whether it's different or not. He's not in the same category as the ones who fail to see.

Fair enough and I commend him for his class. I do agree that the one thing that no one can fault Gus on is that he's never had a team quit on him.

I dont know if Gus is fired this year, but if he is given another year I suggest that Auburn approve alcohol sales at JordanHare with the profits going to Gus' buyout.  Then maybe people wont try to smuggle in the stadium if they know they can get drunk and contribute to Gus' buyout at one time.

1 minute ago, Carnell said:

I dont know if Gus is fired this year, but if he is given another year I suggest that Auburn approve alcohol sales at JordanHare with the profits going to Gus' buyout.  Then maybe people wont try to smuggle in the stadium if they know they can get drunk and contribute to Gus' buyout at one time.

That's quite possibly the most intelligent post I've ever seen on a college football board.

10 minutes ago, Carnell said:

Gonna need it next year.

2 hours ago, caleb1633 said:

They fail to understand that effort without results is wasted energy. That isn't a knock on the players; it's a knock on Gus for having players putting so much effort towards a failed offensive system.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse3.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Really wish people would stop saying "top ten talent"... it's misleading.

How about 4th to 6th in conference talent.

1st-3rd (Bama, UGA, LSU) are beating the hell out of us in recruiting talent.

4th -6th (Florida, Auburn, A&M) are close enough that they switch composite positions with each other every year.

The next guy is gonna need to do a better job than Gus has in recruiting.

3 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

Really wish people would stop saying "top ten talent"... it's misleading.

How about 4th to 6th in conference talent.

1st-3rd (Bama, UGA, LSU) are beating the hell out of us in recruiting talent.

4th -6th (Florida, Auburn, A&M) are close enough that they switch composite positions with each other every year.

The next guy is gonna need to do a better job than Gus has in recruiting.

So we don’t have top ten talent because the other guys are in the top 5? How does that work? 

The next guy is gonna need to do a better job recruiting than Gus? You know how you do that?! Win freaking games consistently. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

So we don’t have top ten talent because the other guys are in the top 5? How does that work? 

The next guy is gonna need to do a better job recruiting than Gus? You know how you do that?! Win freaking games consistently. 

Saying top ten speaking nationally is a way of buttering up our recruiting woes to the extent that you obfuscate the truth.

Saying 4-6th in conference is much more accurate. 

To the second part, that's why it's important to replace Gus with a good well rounded coach. Gus recruited 4-6th in conference and typically fielded teams that were the 4th-6th best in the SEC. The next guy is gonna have to do better, much better.

13 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

There are times when I think Gus will be fired and times when I think he won’t be fired.  Right now I think it is a coin toss. 

Two headed coin?

7 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

Saying top ten speaking nationally is a way of buttering up our recruiting woes to the extent that you obfuscate the truth.

Saying 4-6th in conference is much more accurate. 

To the second part, that's why it's important to replace Gus with a good well rounded coach. Gus recruited 4-6th in conference and typically fielded teams that were the 4th-6th best in the SEC. The next guy is gonna have to do better, much better.

Haha it is not much more accurate. They are both accurate statements. You can sit here all day and try to deny that , but your statement is not in anymore accurate than mine . Their is  only one obvious way to get bette  recruits  UNLESS you live in a hotbed recruiting area or have a prominent history is win the damn games in front of you when you have the team to do it. I don’t give a damn if LSU has the #1 recruiting class in 2017 we had no business losing to that team. Or the UGA team of 2016. You got to jump on opportunities. 

Archived