Will Gus be fired?

ToomersStreet

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, DAG said:

2015 squad top to bottom was one of the most talented teams on paper and we went 7-6 with them. HOW?!

Jeremy Johnson being a dud and Sean White being made of glass.

10 minutes ago, DAG said:

Haha it is not much more accurate. They are both accurate statements. You can sit here all day and try to deny that , but your statement is not in anymore accurate than mine . Their is  only one obvious way to get bette  recruits  UNLESS you live in a hotbed recruiting area or have a prominent history is win the damn games in front of you when you have the team to do it. I don’t give a damn if LSU has the #1 recruiting class in 2017 we had no business losing to that team. Or the UGA team of 2016. You got to jump on opportunities. 

It actually is much more accurate to use individual recruiting placement vs our rivals and conference opponents, rather than compare us to the nation at large which consists of tons of garbage programs we never play against. It's a misuse of statistics fallacy, though I can't for the life of me remember which one.

Our composite score is good enough for 7th at the moment, which put's us 5th in our conference.

IE: Saying "I'm in the top 10% for coding among Americans", might be true, but it would be much more accurate to say "I'm the 5th best coder at my place of business"

..Anyways, I'm not here to teach, you're not here to learn, so 🤷‍♂️.

Time to grab a beer and put yet another forgettable Saturday behind me :) 

4 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

It actually is much more accurate to use individual recruiting placement vs our rivals and conference opponents, rather than compare us to the nation at large which consists of tons of garbage programs we never play against. It's a misuse of statistics fallacy, though I can't for the life of me remember which one.

Our composite score is good enough for 7th at the moment, which put's us 5th in our conference.

IE: Saying "I'm in the top 10% for coding among Americans", might be true, but it would be much more accurate to say "I'm the 5th best coder at my place of business"

..Anyways, I'm not here to teach, you're not here to learn, so 🤷‍♂️.

Time to grab a beer and put yet another forgettable Saturday behind me :) 

That is cool if you

feel that way. I disagree, but like I said that doesn’t explain losing games you have no business losing. Having a top ten recruiting class (#3 in the SEC) in 2017 didn’t stop LSU from losing to Mississippi State and Troy. Yet they beat us. That is a very short sighted argument . You can agree to disagree. 

16 minutes ago, DAG said:

2015 squad top to bottom was one of the most talented teams on paper and we went 7-6 with them. HOW?!

Lawson injured. Jovon was watching PB average .75 ypc all year. Best wide receiver beat up his teammates in a bar. One quarterback melted down early. Another quarterback played with an actual broken arm. It was a real head-scratcher

3 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

Lawson injured. Jovon was watching PB average .75 ypc all year. Best wide receiver beat up his teammates in a bar. One quarterback melted down early. Another quarterback played with an actual broken arm. It was a real head-scratcher

If I'm not mistaken, Jakell Mitchell was murdered that prior offseason. While that is a horrible tragedy that obviously transcends Auburn or the sport of football, it is worth noting in discussions of just how wrong it all went in 2015. 

I'll go on record saying that i do not expect Gus to be fired unless we loss big to bama (14+ pts). If we are competitive in that game then he will be back next season. I think he has enough going for him that the PTB will keep him to see if he can finally get over the hump.

13 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

That is a lot to be fair. Wait SW had a broken arm in 2015 or 16? It’s all a blur. 2016 UGA game still gives me nightmares.

11 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I think he has enough going for him that the PTB will keep him to see if he can finally get over the hump.

That's what this year was.

56 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I'll go on record saying that i do not expect Gus to be fired unless we loss big to bama (14+ pts). If we are competitive in that game then he will be back next season. I think he has enough going for him that the PTB will keep him to see if he can finally get over the hump.

This year was the extra year the PTB were supposed to see if Gus could get over the hump, this was the year to put up or GTHO. 

Remember Gus doubling down on himself, calling ALL the shots and taking the OC position completely out of the equation.  He wanted to leave no doubt that HE was in control and He was getting back to his roots.  With two talented QBs, a stud defense, oline loaded with experienced seniors, a stable of WRs and serviceable RBs - THIS is the year he was given for him to prove his worth once and for all. 

1 hour ago, DAG said:

That is a lot to be fair. Wait SW had a broken arm in 2015 or 16? It’s all a blur. 2016 UGA game still gives me nightmares.

Come to think of it-yes. My bad. I remember by crediting Stidham for two years, when I mentally tabulated this I forgot '18. In that case- I probably screwed up that whole post, defnately all a blur.

Talent gap isnt far off- talent placement and coaching is. Weve got a lot of highly rated WRs (somehow & finally). Everyone knows we didnt recruit OL. If wed have recruited that position better we might be singing a different tune

1 hour ago, gravejd said:

This quote could have come from this time any of the past five seasons. What does that say about the direction of our program?

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

That's what this year was.

52 minutes ago, keesler said:

This year was the extra year the PTB were supposed to see if Gus could get over the hump, this was the year to put up or GTHO. 

Remember Gus doubling down on himself, calling ALL the shots and taking the OC position completely out of the equation.  He wanted to leave no doubt that HE was in control and He was getting back to his roots.  With two talented QBs, a stud defense, oline loaded with experienced seniors, a stable of WRs and serviceable RBs - THIS is the year he was given for him to prove his worth once and for all. 

At the start of the season I probably would have said 8-4 gets him fired. But the way it has played out we lost basically one possession games to 4 top 10 teams with 2 being on the road. And we have a win over top 10 team and likely pac 12 champ. This all assuming an 8-4 record and no big loss to bama of course. 

39 minutes ago, fredst said:

This quote could have come from this time any of the past five seasons. What does that say about the direction of our program?

I’m not really getting into whether or not I’m happy about it. I just think he has done just enough to keep his job this season. 

9 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I’m not really getting into whether or not I’m happy about it. I just think he has done just enough to keep his job this season.

I disagree with you but sincerely respect your position. War Eagle!

4 hours ago, DAG said:

An understandable error.  From 2015 on, the years become largely interchangeable with nightmares, terrifying displays of pure madness, and triple facepalm moments.

1 minute ago, Proud Tiger said:

Enough of Mike Marshall's speculation. Lets just let things play out.

?????? preceded by TIFWIW. His speculation is more palatable to some than the assurance by pundits and posters that he's here until...until...until...forever. 

Archived