Will Gus be fired?

ToomersStreet

Seems as though his losses being to highly ranked programs is weighing heavily in his favor. Folks are putting more stock into where the opponent was ranked than the miserable, draw a play out of a hat offense we put on the field. So, with that being said, doesn't the buyout drop considerably sometime in early 2020? If so, if we lose to bama AND manage to lose the bowl game, do we still feel like he gets one more shot or no? Please no...

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, WarDamn2010 said:

Seems as though his losses being to highly ranked programs is weighing heavily in his favor. Folks are putting more stock into where the opponent was ranked than the miserable, draw a play out of a hat offense we put on the field. So, with that being said, doesn't the buyout drop considerably sometime in early 2020? If so, if we lose to bama AND manage to lose the bowl game, do we still feel like he gets one more shot or no? Please no...

Year            Salary            Remaining          Buyout

YEAR

REMAINING
BUY
OUT
2018 $6,700,000 $42,300,000 $31,725,000
2019 $6,800,000 $35,500,000 $26,625,000
2020 $6,900,000 $28,600,000 $21,450,000
2021 $7,000,000 $21,600,000 $16,200,000
2022 $7,100,000 $14,500,000 $10,875,000
2023 $7,200,000 $7,300,000 $5,475,000
2024 $7,300,000 $0 $0

The new contract year begins Jan 1

14 hours ago, gravejd said:

But the way it has played out we lost basically one possession games to 4 top 10 teams with 2 being on the road.

Because of our defense. If it hadn't been for the brutal ineptitude on offense- 100% designed and led by Gus- we would have won all of those games by double digits.

The man in charge of the offense isn't doing a good enough job. Not only that, but that man has had every opportunity to get help, and instead has spent 7 years assuming more and more control over the offense until there is not a single part of it that doesn't have his fingerprints all over it. We are losing football games because of the offense, so the man in charge of the offense needs to go. 

16 hours ago, gravejd said:

I'll go on record saying that i do not expect Gus to be fired unless we loss big to bama (14+ pts). If we are competitive in that game then he will be back next season. I think he has enough going for him that the PTB will keep him to see if he can finally get over the hump.

I hope that after 7 years the PTB KNOW that CGM will not adjust nor conform his offense thus NEVER getting over the hump.. if they (PTB) do not realize this, we have a bigger problem than Gus. 

24 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Because of our defense. If it hadn't been for the brutal ineptitude on offense- 100% designed and led by Gus- we would have won all of those games by double digits.

The man in charge of the offense isn't doing a good enough job. Not only that, but that man has had every opportunity to get help, and instead has spent 7 years assuming more and more control over the offense until there is not a single part of it that doesn't have his fingerprints all over it. We are losing football games because of the offense, so the man in charge of the offense needs to go. 

I feel ya....i'm as tired of him the coach as 98% of the rest of the fan base. But with the buyout being what it is I just think the board would prefer not to fire him and i think he has given them enough to justify not firing him. I think our best hope is that Gus see's little chance of being any better next season and decides to take a new job while he still can. 

I don't feel like he will be either unless: 

1. The board/University/Greene have "their guy" picked out, and 

2. That guy is already in place to make the move.

There has been enough out there to suggest that number one has already happened. Whether number two is true, I have no idea. 

I just think it would be very foolish for Auburn to fire Malzahn without the replacement in place. If we fire him and take the search committee route, its not going to end well. 

11 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I feel ya....i'm as tired of him the coach as 98% of the rest of the fan base. But with the buyout being what it is I just think the board would prefer not to fire him and i think he has given them enough to justify not firing him. I think our best hope is that Gus see's little chance of being any better next season and decides to take a new job while he still can. 

Fair enough. It would be a massive assist if he took the initiative. 

2 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

There has been enough out there to suggest that number one has already happened. Whether number two is true, I have no idea. 

I just think it would be very foolish for Auburn to fire Malzahn without the replacement in place. If we fire him and take the search committee route, its not going to end well. 

As of last year, #2 was true. Hoping that's still the case but you've already laid out the reasons why it might not be. 

32 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

this. you don't quit a job unless you already have another lined up. there is no reason to fire gus unless we have the next guy locked up and ready to roll and i would hope the next guy would be a known quantity, but at this point i would just about rather have anyone else at the helm.

i think giving steele a shot would be fine.

44 minutes ago, McLoofus said:
47 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

As of last year, #2 was true. Hoping that's still the case but you've already laid out the reasons why it might not be. 

Unless something has changed, PTB has posted a time or two that #2 is still the case.

I think the consensus is it's probably Cristobal. 

Again, assuming nothing's changed....

9 hours ago, WarDamn2010 said:

THAT should be the problem though, Auburn should be one of those highly ranked programs by now and they aren't.  Rather than sit back and say "we've only lost 3 games" like Nix stated or say we played a top ranked team down to the wire, Auburn needs to be one of those highly ranked teams everyone fears.

This year was supposed to be his extra shot and it has so far panned out like the rest of them.

19 minutes ago, keesler said:

This year was supposed to be his extra shot and it has so far panned out like the rest of them.

Yep! 1000x yep. I don’t understand why we are even having this discussion. He was supposed to improve this year or be gone. He didn’t improve. It should be over. Part of me wonders if there was ever any talks about him getting let go last year. For all we know, the entire administration is happy as a clam. 

10 minutes ago, keesler said:

THAT should be the problem though, Auburn should be one of those highly ranked programs by now and they aren't.  Rather than sit back and say "we've only lost 3 games" like Nix stated or say we played a top ranked team down to the wire, Auburn needs to be one of those highly ranked teams everyone fears.

It really should be the problem.  At issue is not that Auburn lost to Florida, LSU, and then Georgia, it is the way Auburn lost to them.  Due to absolutely outstanding defensive effort, all three of those games were very winnable if the offense does not continue to consistently struggle against teams with a pulse, in the 7th season under a head coach that is supposed to be an offensive genius.

5 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

For all we know, the entire administration is happy as a clam.

Kind of what I'm thinking too. I'm sure they want to win and like football, but not on the same level as LSU, Bama, and Georgia. The only place I'm seeing rumors is mainly from the Auburn bunker forum, and that place is a zoo.

17 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

For all we know, the entire administration is happy as a clam. 

Doubtful. No one pays a coach $7M a year so he can produce 8 wins a year. You can pay a coach a lot less and get that. I would venture to bet that the administration is more pissed than we are.

37 minutes ago, keesler said:

Totally agree. I honestly think, of those 3 losses, only LSU should be ranked as highly as they are. Florida and Georgia are good teams, but they are not elite. Not right now anyway. They just happened to be ranked highly bc of expectations and a bit of SEC bias. If those teams are ranked where they should be, our three losses don't look nearly as good. And regardless of their rank, the offensive product we've put on the field this year is another in a string of constant reminders that Gus is out of his league. Should we lose to Bama, especially without Tua, I can only hope that those in charge have sense enough to say enough is enough.

48 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Unless something has changed, PTB has posted a time or two that #2 is still the case.

I think the consensus is it's probably Cristobal. 

Again, assuming nothing's changed....

Genuinely curious here, so don't take this the wrong way. Why is Cristobal reportedly so eager to coach at Auburn? I hope and pray he legitimately is, but Oregon can pony up just as much money as we can, can they not? And staying at Oregon gets him a schedule that is 2 or 3 games shy of a cake walk. I've read several reports that state he is very interested, specifically, in coaching at Auburn...just curious as to why.

21 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Yep! 1000x yep. I don’t understand why we are even having this discussion. He was supposed to improve this year or be gone. He didn’t improve. It should be over. Part of me wonders if there was ever any talks about him getting let go last year. For all we know, the entire administration is happy as a clam. 

We know the interim Prez Gouge could care less about Auburn athletics, and that's fine because academics should be his priority. 

We have an AD who is learning how things are done at a P5 school in the strongest conference in the toughest division.  Does Greene really know what the standard at Auburn should be relative to the football program?  Does he have any idea of our rivals and how important it is to stand toe to toe with them in facilities, and on the field?  

For all we know, the Administration may be perfectly fine with the current situation with this staff and their performance.  I'd hope that the big money boosters and the wealthy men pulling the strings (the old Bobby Lowder types) would expect more than what than what they've seen, but who really knows?  

Mario is familiar with the southeast and state of Alabama in particular with all the years recruiting at Bama and other southeastern states. Maybe he likes the challenge of kicking Saban's teeth in from a student beat teacher perspective. I liked his maturity on the sideline and post game against Oregon this year.  I think he is a great fit. Recruiting would stay upper echelon as well. He could say he learned under Saban (curious if he would go this route being a coach at Auburn).

5 minutes ago, WarDamn2010 said:

Genuinely curious here, so don't take this the wrong way. Why is Cristobal reportedly so eager to coach at Auburn? I hope and pray he legitimately is, but Oregon can pony up just as much money as we can, can they not? And staying at Oregon gets him a schedule that is 2 or 3 games shy of a cake walk. I've read several reports that state he is very interested, specifically, in coaching at Auburn...just curious as to why.

Apparently a year or so ago he said he'd jump at the Auburn HC job in a heartbeat, maybe that's the source of it?:dunno:

3 minutes ago, WarDamn2010 said:

He has a much better shot at actually winning in the playoffs here because he can get much better talent here. 

I guarantee you that he looks at this 2019 Auburn Tigers football team and his first thought- like that of several coaches, including Bob Stoops- is, "I'd have them undefeated and #1 in the country." But he's sitting there with 1 loss and outside the playoffs (for now) because the most talented Oregon team he could ever hope for lost to a much more talented Auburn team. 

24 minutes ago, caleb1633 said:

Doubtful. No one pays a coach $7M a year so he can produce 8 wins a year. You can pay a coach a lot less and get that. I would venture to bet that the administration is more pissed than we are.

They're the ones at whom fingers are pointing... not the fans. The fans just want the earners to earn it. 

11 minutes ago, keesler said:

We know the interim Prez Gouge could care less about Auburn athletics, and that's fine because academics should be his priority. 

We have an AD who is learning how things are done at a P5 school in the strongest conference in the toughest division.  Does Greene really know what the standard at Auburn should be relative to the football program?  Does he have any idea of our rivals and how important it is to stand toe to toe with them in facilities, and on the field?  

For all we know, the Administration may be perfectly fine with the current situation with this staff and their performance.  I'd hope that the big money boosters and the wealthy men pulling the strings (the old Bobby Lowder types) would expect more than what than what they've seen, but who really knows?  

There's absolutely no way their head is in the sand like that. I could name a million reasons why, but there is just absolutely no freaking way they are content with how this season has gone.

2 hours ago, TigerFanAU said:

he's not getting fired. Maybe if we get blown out by Bama, he would, but we have a good chance at beating Bama this year.

Win Iron Bowl = 2 more years of Gus.

"Choose wisely."

Archived